The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

do ZoS has any plan and idea about adding and support ingame Chinese language?

Clefor
Clefor
✭✭
for this question i mainly have 2 reasons.

1. Game will crash when typing Chinese

As a Chinese player, the first thing i know when i begin to play ESO, is "don't type Chinese in game, or it will crash". i knew this because my game crashed at least 5 times when i creating my first character. I finished all the character parameter setup except the character name, then at last i want to input the character name, at the same time Chinese IME was on, then boom, crash.

The point is, i don't know the reason is the input method at the first time, can you imagine how frustrating for a new player that don't even know what is going on but just keep crashing? and which cause this is just the game don't support Chinese characters?

Further more, Chinese player still can't type any Chinese characters in game chat, which means they must use other third part chatting software like Discord or QQ. This is why most(at least 5 i knew) Chinese guild game chat like a ghost city that never have people chatting. And when Chinese player want to type something but accidently let the Chinese IME on, boom, crash again. And that is very hard to notice because we can't see any element indicating which IME is on. I can't remember how many times that game crash when i trying to type something to my teammate in dungeon, which also means i need additional 5 more minutes to restart and login, and waste 5 minute of all my friends' time.

So please, support typing Chinese in game.

2. Adding Chinese translation

I think I don't need to explain too much about the importance of how useful for native people that adding a translation. Over 1090 million people using Chinese all over the world. Will you ignore the 1K million people market? especially when the attraction of ESO is its lore which most Chinese people can't understand right now, just because no translation?
Edited by Clefor on August 24, 2017 2:25AM
  • Malic
    Malic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP, what I can tell you is if ZOS thinks there is a buck out there to be made they'll go after it. If they have done anything over the years, they have exhibited a very clear desire to make as much money as they possibly can.

Options
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised Zenimax hasn't made a push into China. A lot of publishers have started to realize the potential of that market.
    Options
  • Gothren
    Gothren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh god please no chinese hackers. had a bad experience with them before eso.
    Options
  • Tucker3711
    Tucker3711
    ✭✭✭
    I believe I saw on a patch that ZOS was working on adding new languages... Forgot what they are though, Look through the patches or message ZOS, Maybe that will help.
    @Tucker311- PC
    Tucker3711
    Nord Beth Rose (EP)
    Imperial Freya Var (DC)
    High Elf Hestia du foyer (AD)
    Wood Elf Epona Caoin (AD)
    Hotstuff Queen
    Options
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would love to have chinese in game

I hate to crash when i put chinese characters

Also wouldlove to have chinese char names

Please zos support this, it is truely annoying at the moment.
    Edited by Morgul667 on August 24, 2017 4:28AM
    Options
  • makerofthings
    makerofthings
    ✭✭✭
    Tucker3711 wrote: »
    I believe I saw on a patch that ZOS was working on adding new languages... Forgot what they are though, Look through the patches or message ZOS, Maybe that will help.

Esperanto. Just my fondest wish.
    Options
  • BrianDavion
    BrianDavion
    ✭✭✭✭
    to expand into china ZOS will need to ask how popular the game would likely be with the chinese player base. China (all asia really) is a very differant market. and it's fair to ask "would this be worth it"
    Options
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised Zenimax hasn't made a push into China. A lot of publishers have started to realize the potential of that market.

I think the same , why?
    ZOS could make a big profit I bet !
    Options
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Chinese man, a communist, and a spy walk into a bar. He orders a drink.

"Mom, the Commies are trying to install spyware on my computer again by getting me to click their post."

DEMOCRACY IS NON-NEGOTIABLE.

Better dead than red.

Just silly. I wish to welcome you to the 21st century. By the way, Joe McCarthy just phoned and he says too let it go.

Im not chinese but was surprised by some of the comments.

I chose to ignore them
    Options
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    doubt it?
    Options
  • raj72616a
    raj72616a
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    those "racist" quotes above are quotes from another Bestheda game.
    Options
  • Clefor
    Clefor
    ✭✭
    to expand into china ZOS will need to ask how popular the game would likely be with the chinese player base. China (all asia really) is a very differant market. and it's fair to ask "would this be worth it"

As far as i know, almost every Chinese gamer knows "the Elder Scroll" series, but not knowing the story well. It just popular, and Chinese translation will only make it more popular. :)
    Edited by Clefor on August 24, 2017 5:50AM
    Options
  • Clefor
    Clefor
    ✭✭
    raj72616a wrote: »

Fallout 4 i guess?
    Options
  • Shardan4968
    Shardan4968
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clefor wrote: »
    raj72616a wrote: »

Fallout 4 i guess?

I remember those quotes from Liberty Prime from Fallout 3, but I didn't play F4.
    Edited by Shardan4968 on August 24, 2017 6:04AM
    PC/EU
    Options
  • Kaliki
    Kaliki
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also miss the possibility to chat in Chinese. On EVE Online it is possible and I'm sure it helps Chinese guilds and communities.

Concerning point 2 there might be some big problems. I remember WoW had to make a number of adaptations to be able to release a Chinese version in the People's republic of China (for example no undead allowed).
    From what I've read, censorship and the promotion of media and entertainment related to Chinese culture has not grown any weaker since then ...
    - Templars: Slower by Design® -
    Options
  • jaschacasadiob16_ESO
    jaschacasadiob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, would it be worth it, economically? I don't think so. As you said, the regime forced other companies, in the past, to make important changes to their games. This translates into a fork of the master branch of the game, a fork that requires constant updating, maintenance, customizations (to avoid problems) and testing.

Of course, you don't want the Chinese version of the game to be like an update behind, so that the above should be done in parallel to the master branch.

Making the game accessible to more people (how many fans are there, anyway?), would also translate it into a higher value target for hackers and gold sellers. Not worth it.
    "Yesterday while searching a barrel in vVoM I found a lemon. Best drop of the whole run."

Protect the weak. Heal the sick.
    Treasure the gifts of friendship. Seek joy and inspiration in the mysteries of love.
    Honor the Earth, its creatures, and the spirits. Use Nature's gifts wisely. Respect her power. Fear her fury.
    Options
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I remember correctly, there is a law in China that forces gaming companies to have a local (China-based) subsidiary in order to operate and market their games in China ?
    If that is the case, are you all here playing ESO via a VPN ?

Also there was something about the crown crates (ZOS would be forced to publish the drop rates if they operated in China).

It may all be rumours though, I don't know, but I sure am curious.

Options
  • FoolishHuman
    FoolishHuman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, would it be worth it, economically? I don't think so. As you said, the regime forced other companies, in the past, to make important changes to their games. This translates into a fork of the master branch of the game, a fork that requires constant updating, maintenance, customizations (to avoid problems) and testing.

Of course, you don't want the Chinese version of the game to be like an update behind, so that the above should be done in parallel to the master branch.

Making the game accessible to more people (how many fans are there, anyway?), would also translate it into a higher value target for hackers and gold sellers. Not worth it.

I too think this is the reason. The chinese communist party makes it very hard for any western media to be released, since they want to have everything under their control. (and a share of the profits) That's really a problem that the chinese people will have to solve.
    Options
  • WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I too think this is the reason. The chinese communist party makes it very hard for any western media to be released, since they want to have everything under their control. (and a share of the profits) That's really a problem that the chinese people will have to solve.

You've missed the fact that WOW has Chinese version of game and local server. However, what you mentioned are partially true: Chinese player had to wait for wrath of the lich king expansion for almost a year due to (political/gore/violence/drug use/suggestive props) content check. Yea, and those hacker and gold sellers...
    Edited by WaltherCarraway on August 24, 2017 9:57AM
    Back from my last hiatus. 2021 a new start.
    Options
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without making a huge move to China market, the game could at least allow to write chinese without crashing
    Options
  • WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgul667 wrote: »
    Without making a huge move to China market, the game could at least allow to write chinese without crashing

Both copy and paste / an ime modification can prevent crashing.

(PSA)
    Back from my last hiatus. 2021 a new start.
    Options
  • FoolishHuman
    FoolishHuman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You've missed the fact that WOW has Chinese version of game and local server. However, what you mentioned are partially true: Chinese player had to wait for wrath of the lich king expansion for almost a year due to (political/gore/violence/drug use/suggestive props) content check. Yea, and those hacker and gold sellers...

I can only imagine that companies have to make a big upfront investment first when going on the chinese market before making a profit and Zenimax might just not have the money that Blizzard/Activision has.
    Options
  • DreadKnight
    DreadKnight
    ✭✭✭
    The game will never to translated into Chinese.

Mostly because, to enter the Chinese market (and that's the only reason they would do it), the game would need to be freely available for sale (officially) in China, and to do that the game would need to go through the Chinese sensors. Do you realise how much work that would take? The game would have to be altered in thousands of ways, and then it would then need to be compatible with the current version - it's too many years worth of work to imagine - and would take so long that the game would be dead by the time they finished it.

The servers they play on would also have to be located in China - an absolute must so that the Chinese Government can turn it off if they so wish - they do not want the ability for people to converse freely (among other things) without control. It'll never ever happen.

Either to Op is an American Chinese - or from HK - where the rules are different (for now) - they may have access to the current servers, but HK isn't a big enough market anyways - and in the future the policy may change there.

I don't want to turn this into a political debate, as that is against the TOS, but unfortunately the main reason that it will never, ever happen, is a political one.

(I'm a Brit and lived in China for 15 years).

Options
  • ZOS_MattL
    ZOS_MattL
    ✭✭✭
    Hey there,
    We have removed several posts in this thread as they were off topic and derailing the thread. Make sure posts can be discussed in a constructive manner, when replying to a thread, to allow the discussion to continue.
    Thanks,
    Matt
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Options
    Staff Post
  • PieMaster1
    PieMaster1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Okay, I will be constructive. I personally believe they should allow the game to be translated into a Chinese language version. (I'm on subject ;) )

I absolutely love the free people's republic of China and would definitely never ever rob them of the opportunity of playing a game!
    Options
  • PieMaster1
    PieMaster1
    ✭✭✭✭

Sorry, Communist Party is referencing to politics and isn't politically correct. They are free people ;)

Please refrain from topics that might be sensitive to others. Thank you and have a nice day!
    Options
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgul667 wrote: »

Both copy and paste / an ime modification can prevent crashing.

(PSA)

What do you mean ? Can I input chinese in the game without crashing ? How to ?
    Options
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pinyin works though, right?
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

Options
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gothren wrote: »
    oh god please no chinese hackers. had a bad experience with them before eso.

As vulnerable as this game is to standard hackers, you are right. We would be toast in PvP.

Also, as for the answer to your question: 否预计抵达时间
    Edited by Yolokin_Swagonborn on August 24, 2017 7:43PM
    Options
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it possible for an addon to replace lines of dialogue with the Chinese characters? is that already a thing?
    Options