Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Hello all, some questions

Glockcoma725
Glockcoma725
✭✭✭
Hello all. First time poster here. Wanted to start by saying I wasn't sure how I felt about ESO at first, but I am really thoroughly enjoying it. I wondered if for a moment, I could pester you guys with just a few questions I was struggling finding answers for.

Firstly, my girlfriend recently began playing with me (shes a big skyrim fan) and I purchased the scroll for the Mara Ritual or whatever. Can I use the scroll anywhere? We only need one scroll for the pair of us right? Just don't want to mess up and waste the item.

Secondly, when turning in writs I get inspiration. Is this the same as experience for the crafting skills you turn the writ in for? I couldn't tell if it was or not.

Thirdly, regarding "Favoriting", or making a house your primary dwelling, is that per character? For instance, let's say I have Character A that has his favorite house in Country A. If i were to make Character B, would his favorite house be in country A? Or could I buy his own house, and he would have his own primary dwelling?

Lastly, during Dark Anchors, those things that you can close. I've always stayed away from them, I just didn't understand what they were about. I'm sure they close up the portal or whatever. but I was afraid I would rush us through the invasion if I ran around closing those.

Sorry for the Noobish questions, I'm sure you guys get them all the time. Thanks for any replies, and happy hunting!
PC-NA CP570 @Glockcoma725
Maximus Dezimus Meridius Tank DragonKight
Ri'Skarr DD Nightblade
Myrddin Emrys DD Sorceror
Smokes-All-Herbs Healer Templar
Azog the Defiler DD Warden
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scrolls of Mara, you only need one to marry. I forget if you have to buy the rings, but you for sure have to wear them to get the bonus. Plus you have to be in a group with the other person, and be in sight of each other to get the 10%. The Ring thing can be a killer as you usually have your slots filled with Set Jewelry. See the Dolmen answer below.

Yes, Inspiration is Crafting Experience. Note, your not going to level crafting with writs to any great extent, but it does help. Gear and Enchnants, Decon is your best source, and for Alchemy and Provisioning, making things (Green Recipes for provisioning leveling, Blue and Purple are a waste of mats for leveling. Just use the highest level green you can make)

A primary residence is mostly for allowing others (guildmates or friends) to use/visit your house when your not there. No other real reason to designate it.

Dark Anchors are fun, go do them when you get a chance. Plus it is the only source of dropped set jewelry. Some people grind levels on nothing but dolmens. Go to Alikir or Auridon to see a Dolmen Zerg in action. They have nothing to do with the main quest and there are a few achievements surrounding them.

Edited by Nestor on August 23, 2017 5:07PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mara scroll can only be used at a shrine of Mara found in capital cities like Wayrest. And yes, only one scroll is needed for two to get married. Very big step for you and your girlfriend, getting hitched in a game.

Inspiration is the XP for crafting lines so yes.

The priority home would be per account iirc.

The pinnions do no harm to you and regardless of when one interacts with them they do not affect the progression of the dolmen except that all must be interacted with before the boss comes down.

Edit: the rings of Mara automatically appear in the jnvetory of each player once it is completed. You must wear the ring to get the bonus XP and quest near each other as well.
    Edited by idk on August 23, 2017 5:07PM
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    1) There is a shrine to Mara in the first town of each alliance, and in the alliance capitals as well. Vulkhel Guard and Elden Root AD, Davon's Watch and Mournhold EP, Daggerfall and Wayrest DC. The shrine is marked on the town minimap.

2) Inspiration is different from XP. You receive it from turning in writs, discovering traits (alchemy, enchanting), crafting items and deconstructing them (except alchemy and provisioning).

3) Houses are linked to account so if you buy one on a character you can access it with all characters on an account; you can also give access to other player accounts permission to go to your house.

4) Each anchor has a number of small pinions that can be closed as you kill the mobs thar spawn. After you close those a central pinion spawns, then an elite mob. Once that is killed you can close that pinion and clear the anchor. If the mob is named is considered a general. There are achievements for closing pinions, clearing anchors and killing generals that unlock dyes, titles and other stuff. Once an anchor is cleared another one activates in the zone.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BOOM forum pro's straight to the aide. Have some awesome dudes
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also, when you are running low on resources, closing those dolmen pinions refills your health/magicka/ stamina.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • Glockcoma725
    Glockcoma725
    ✭✭✭
    Awesome answers, thank you guys very much.

@ Nestor, your referring to deconstructing green and blue items right? I try to do that with as many of those as I can find, considering they don't sell for much. I hadn't realized that the process of deconstructing items was leveling those skills however, not sure how I missed that.

@ Giles - About the pinions, yes lol the first time I activated one I was like Oh no did i just mess this up? And thats sweet that the rings spawn instantly.

Dolmen Zerg you say? Would that be like a dark anchor on steroids?
    Ri'Skarr DD Nightblade
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and those Pinions at the Dolmens, when you close them you restore the full attributes of all players at the dolmen. So if your running low on health or magic/stamina, close a pinion.

Also, if you close all 4 of the pinions, you kill whatever mobs are left. Usually that is not many if any. You get no experience for a mob killed by closing all the pinions.

• Dubhliam
    Dubhliam
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dolmen Zerg you say? Would that be like a dark anchor on steroids?

No, that is a player zerg running around from dolmen to dolmen, closing them for the exp and jewelry loot.
    >>>Detailed Justice System Concept thread<<<
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ Nestor, your referring to deconstructing green and blue items right? I try to do that with as many of those as I can find, considering they don't sell for much. I hadn't realized that the process of deconstructing items was leveling those skills however, not sure how I missed that.

As for Decon, you want to decon as much as you can. Sell enough of the white armor and weapons to cover your repairs, if your even repairing gear while leveling (as opposed to replacing it with dropped stuff) then decon the rest. You don't need to put any points into Crafting while leveling it. Well, maybe a point or two if you can spare it into the Extraction Passives.

With Looted Glyphs, decon them all unless you can use one of them. They have almost no value to sell.

• Imza
    Imza
    ✭✭✭✭
    FYI A zerg is a very large group.

The ones doing dolmens are a sight to see... all those players chasing each other to be the first to get to the next dolmen. OThere are three (3) dolmens on each map except a few and none on the DLC maps.

You can get more experience if you are in a group, this includes the dolmens which is why there are usually very large groups doing dolmens.

The first time you do a dolmen you get a larger amount of experience (XP) than you do for any dolmen you do a 2nd or 3rd or 100th time.

Hope that helps!
  • Lorajet
    Lorajet
    ✭✭✭
    The dolmens are great fun! Good way to charge up those soul gems, get some nice pieces of jewelry, glyphs and an sometimes a weapon. Gives you gold and skill points, too.

They seem to spawn every 10 minutes or so. So join with others to dance, sing, play the drums or whatever between the spawning.

Also, gives you a chance to run to the bank and put those items away or sell them.

And, Welcome to the forums!
  • Glockcoma725
    Glockcoma725
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all for the warm welcomes. My favorite locations are the dolmens by bodies of water, so i can fish while i wait. Such an awesome awesome game. Went to Cyrodil for first time last night, mainly just ran around, coulnd't get over how HUGE it is compared to other zones
    Ri'Skarr DD Nightblade
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You got pretty good info, some add'l tips:

- you might edit your signature to include your server, then maybe character class/race. Sometimes when you ask questions the extra info is helpful for responding. And like when I see a post like "I can't find Calcinium" and I see them on my server, I'll shoot them some assistance. To edit your signature, click on the little gear by your name up above, then edit profile, then signatures.

- no one mentioned two reasons to close dolmens: massive xp and fighters guild leveling. When you close a dolmen, you get xp from any monster you do 10% or more of the damage on. Then when the anchor closes you get a giant bucket of xp. Then, notice how some map icons are white and some are black? Black icons means you've discovered the area, but it isn't cleared...there's a quest or task to clear it. For dolmens, the clear comes when you get at least one hit in on something before it closes...then a second bucket of xp.

Closing the dolmens also levels the fighters guild skill line (obtained by visiting the fighters guildmin your starter city.)

You can always post specific questions here, but if you're interested in some broad guides covering the basics on leveling the various skill lines, ESO Academy is a great resource.