Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Current state of the Mag DK ?

asuzab16_ESO
asuzab16_ESO
✭✭✭
Hi guys,

I am playing cp 250 stamblade/stamdk/stamsorc and I am getting a little bit tired of the weapon skills that I find too repetitive. I would like to play a class with more skills variety, more situational skills so I think it is time to try a magicka class. I would like to keep the melee feeling so Mag DK seems to be the best option but since it seems very hard to find information about that class, I thought I would ask for your opinion.

A few weeks ago, I went through a dungeon with a Mag DK Tank DW/S&B that was melting down everything before we could even land a single hit. I think that's where I got a crush on this class. Seeing a magicka tank with melee weapons doing insane aoe damage made me want to play that kind of build. I would like to play that kind of build : tanky with decend aoe dps. I was thinking of running S&B/Destro for leveling.

But more importantly, I'd like to know what you think about the Mag DK.
Where does it stand at the moment? What does it excel at and sucks at?

Any advice that you'll feel like sharing is welcome.

Thanks guys
  • Loralai_907
    Loralai_907
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say, just start one. Mag DK's are my very favorite, there is just something delightful about burning everything to the ground. I can't help with specifics for what you are looking for, I tend to run them with destro/resto. I intended to turn one of mine into S&B/destro, but haven't got around to it yet. I know a lot of people do quite well with that set up though, so I imagine there are enough builds out there where you could at least get a general idea of what works best in that set up.
    PC-NA - formerly, mommadani907Guild: Weeping Angels - Co-GMTwitter: @ Loralai_907 several Alt accounts....CP 1700+
    Active characters:Fauna Rosewood ( Bosmer Stam DK - Master Crafter/AD)///Loralai Darknova (Drunken Zombie Bosmer Stam Sorc - PvP/AD)Lilith Darknova ( Dunmer Mag DK - Master Crafter - PvP/AD)///and roughly 1billion alts
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the above, just start one and play it.

I've done the shield and destro thing, dw and destro, destro and destro and destro and resto. It's all good if you like the flavor of the class.

Currently double barring destro sticks with lightning on the back and melting things so quick. 20k+ whip crits are amazeballs.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • Megabear
    Megabear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like my magicka DK, but I don't like that I have to stay in melee range most of the time. What's weird is that I play mostly melee range with other characters.
    Guide to making $$$ in Tamriel: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/370618/guide-to-making-gold-in-eso/p1?new=1
    Cost analysis for potential ESO players: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/367919/cost-analysis-for-brand-new-potential-pc-eso-players#latest
    Warden Bow Healer/DPS Hybrid Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-bow-healerdps-hybrid/
    Warden "The Warladin" Healer/Tank Hybrid Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-the-warladin-healertank-hybrid-build/
    Warden Stamina DPS Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-dps-build/
    Server - PC/NA
    Vhevet - (S) Night Blade/Female/Orsimer
    Ecaer - (M) Templar/Female/Breton
    Captain Beaster Bunny - (S) Warden/Male/Red Guard
    Ezaera - (M) Sorcerer/Female/Altmer
    Ecaeri - (M) Warden/Female/Argonian
    Dun-and-Dunmer - (M) Dragon Knight/Male/Dunmer
    What Can Go Wong - (S) Night Blade/Male/Bosmer
    Izaer - (M) Templar/Male/Breton
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magdk costs are too high
  • beetleklee
    beetleklee
    ✭✭✭✭
    My main is a magDK and it's fun. Sustain can be an issue though, relies a lot on off balance but if you have a lot of that in your group, you can sustain forever. I run fire staff front and shock staff back, and in PVP I run sword and board. Lots of DOTs in the rotation you need to keep track of, but having an add on timer helps. Great self heals and decent shields make being in melee range a bit easier.
    PC NA
    CP 690

EP Dunmer MagDK Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Dunmer MagSorc Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Argonian DK Tank Level 50, Boethiah's Scythe
    EP Breton Templar Healer Level 50
    EP Khajiit StamDK Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Dunmer Magblade Level 50, Assistant Alienist
    EP Argonian Stamden Level 50, Lady of Misrule (pvp)
    EP Dunmer Stamblade Level 50
    DC Redguard Stamplar
    AD Altmer Magwarden Healer

vMA, vDSA, vSO HM, vHRC HM, vAA, vAS+1, vMoL
  • Mustard
    Mustard
    ✭✭✭✭
    PvP it's at the bottom of the list unless you Zerg which requires no skill
  • WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mustard wrote: »
    PvP it's at the bottom of the list unless you Zerg which requires no skill

No wonder people neglected me mid fight and let me stack everything to do a 13.6k crit ferocious leap with sword and board.

I'm nowhere near metabuild, currently ranked 28 in EP, 93 Overall in Vivec. Ask anyone if i zerged with any of those guilds.

I can also say things like:

Sorcerer in PvP it's at the top of the list but it's better if you Zerg which requires no skill
    NIghtblade in PvP it's at the top of the list but it's better if you Zerg which requires no skill
    Warden PvP it's at the top of the list but it's better if you Zerg which requires no skill
    Templar PvP it's at the top of the list but it's better if you Zerg which requires no skill

and so on.
    Edited by WaltherCarraway on August 26, 2017 5:29AM
    Back from my last hiatus. 2021 a new start.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mag DK sucks at range, other than the use of a staff. Otherwise, they're awesome. This is my skill rotation, that does great damage and give you a heal as well. 1, 2 and 3 must be used in order. This rotation is for use with a lightning staff, because other kinds of staffs don't set the enemies off-balance. (As I remember.)

1. Molten Armaments (morph of Molten Weapons) - increases spell damage by 20%
    2. Elemental Blockade (morph of Wall of Elements - used with lightning staff it becomes Blockade of Storms) - sets enemies off balance and does damage
    3. Flame Lash (morph of Lava Whip) - damage plus a good heal if enemy is off balance, which is why you use Blockade of Storms first
    4. Burning Embers (morph of Searing Strike) - a damage-over-time (DoT) spell
    5. Inner Light - (morph of Mage Light) - passively increases the spell critical rating

Edited by SydneyGrey on August 27, 2017 6:33AM
  • aagobbo
    aagobbo
    ✭✭
    I have a mdk, a msorc and a DK tank. He lacks of a execute skill or passive, he has to fight at melee range, the developers hate him and always nerfs him, he's almost all about aoe, he can't do as much damage as a sorc or a NB, you barely see one around, but I really like him, I have so much fun with him, he's complete (shield, attack, self heal), you can do pretty much anything solo (the 'soloable' stuff, of course, not even try CoS solo lol). Try the mdk, you're gonna like it.