The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Crown Store prices

Betahkiin
Betahkiin
✭✭✭✭
Hello adventurers.

This time I would like to share a personal point of view about the prices of the store.

First of all I want to make it clear that I know that it is a means of raising money from the company and that this allows the game to be profitable that in the long run ends up being a benefit for everyone, as it not only ensures that the game is still active but it can Promote the creation of new content.

I am also aware that it is not necessary to consume things from the store to play and that is optional.

Having said that, I began to share my point of view.

I think the cost of things that can be obtained in the store is a bit excessive.

I like to analyze the following way, in the store you can find products in two categories:

1- Unique benefits that once purchased are applied to the account and do not need to be re-purchased (for example, dlc, mounts, pets, cosmetics, etc)

2- Cumulative, recurrent or individual benefits that can be acquired several times, since their effect can be increased or their use is individual for each character (example: riding lessons, personal bag space, experience scrolls, re-specialization scrolls, etc.).

If prices were lower, a greater number of players would probably be able to acquire all the benefits of the first category and then they would no longer have to buy crowns, but for that is the second category, which is for individual, recurring use or cumulative and guarantees the continuity of store transactions.

As I see it, a decrease in the cost in the crown shop will not make it become inactive in the short term, on the contrary, I think it would make the store have more activity and even allow the incorporation of many players who simply do not Are attracted by the high cost of what can be achieved there.

What do you think about it?
  • Betahkiin
    Betahkiin
    ✭✭✭✭
    As an addition to the above, from my personal point of view I prefer a game where more players can feel happy and have fun.

I am not interested in seeing a few happy of the exclusive that is its content, I prefer a game where a great majority can enjoy the diversity of options.

I think that many players would enjoy more of their game experience being able to access content that at current prices become unreachable or simply not attractive.

And I think with a decrease in store prices this can be achieved without ceasing to be a profitable source for the company to generate money.
  • Ulfgarde
    Ulfgarde
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for explaining and analyzing your thoughts very thoroughly and logically. Very few people on the forums can do so, and I commend you for having a constructive argument.

To me, a more "middle' price average would be great. 15k crowns for a cave or house is a ton of money to fork over; that's $120 on a non-sale. But it makes sense why it's so high, obviously to make money and to pay the people who worked on the designs of the house. You must consider the following, though:

-That the current housing "design' in the game is cosmetic with little advantage (mundus stones, crafting stations)
    -That these houses often have repeated, existing assets in the game
    -That the people who can afford these prices are often a tiny minority (less yhan 1%)
    -(if it's for a limited time) That the (limited) house will likely re-appear at some point (this is unknown, but they keep doing it with other cosmetics. see: Doom Wolf)

When we consider the previous factors, the intrinsic value of crown store items is greatly reduced, almost to the point of there being no point in buying it at all. You can apply the same logic to mounts, crown store motifs, and pets, which are often recolors or redesigns of other mounts or pets. To me, $50 is a pretty high price, but it's also a lot more reasonable than $120. Another great example is the Crown Crafting Motifs, which are often 5,000 crowns+, yet can be purchased for gold for much less (see: Celestial motif). It's ridiculous to think that you could spend $40 on a crafting motif, which doesn't even look that good, or you could buy it for 40k gold, which is maybe a half hour of farming gold.

To get back to the point, would it be nice if prices were reduced? Yes. Would it increase profits? Most likely. Would people appreciate ZOS more if it reduced prices? Probably (As if people will give ZOS credit for anything).

I feel as though reducing prices of items priced over 5,000+ crowns by half would greatly increase the amount of customers who buy it. More people can afford it, thus they will buy it, likely greater than the people who can afford $100.
    Edited by Ulfgarde on August 21, 2017 4:06PM
    Very athletic eso player
    PC EU
  • Delpi
    Delpi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Delpi on August 21, 2017 4:22PM
    "I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee..."
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree that you put your case well however as per the other threads on this, I disagree.

You can half the cost of everything in the store by buying Crowns in a sale. 50% off. So those that are canny, just hoard crowns thus half the prices

On top of that I wait for discounts on items I want. Thus a further discount.

Some people are impulsive in life, let them be, and let them pay the premium.

As for arguing what's best for ZOS , let's leave that to their marketing / strategic teams....

TLDR: Impulsive purchases cost you.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Betahkiin wrote: »
    I think the cost of things that can be obtained in the store is a bit excessive.
    Eh.
    I find many of them to be comparable to what I see in other some games...
    ...and some excessive, true.

But the excessive ones -usually- are those things you can either get in the game with more effort (crafting motivs, walking to a bank), or things you don't really -need- (that super special limited time offer horse...)

So I say, if someone wants it, they have to decide for themselves if its worth their crowns.

The rest... DLCs and such... common costumes, pets or mounts... are more resasonably priced. Especially if you are a subscriber and don't -have- to pay for the DLCs... as well as get crowns for your subscription.

All in all, the only thing that -really- vexes me is the price for the character rename...

• Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here you go @Betahkiin, unsure of your platform but another Crown Sale, £19 for 5500 Crown, so that's the real 'price' of items in the store.

As I said if you but now and wait on a special offer on things you get an even bigger discount.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/p/the-elder-scrolls-online-5500-crowns/bns90j4d3n56
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Raeph
    Raeph
    ✭✭✭
    Umm.. ZOS has no interest whatsoever in appeasing the rational consumer. They are going after the whales and gambling addicts because they will make more money, and at the end of the day that is all they care about. They don't care at all about the Crown Store experience of anyone else.

In summary, it's pointless to try to appeal to them.
    Edited by Raeph on August 23, 2017 3:47AM