Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Please provide guidance on how to increase health

Sixsixsix161
Sixsixsix161
✭✭✭
There was a post in the general forum that discussed players coming into dungeons/trials/etc., with very low amounts of health. The main reason was that character guides advice you to put all points into magicka (for mag characters) or stamina (for stam characters).

I had been doing that, too, and so my level 40 magsorc had a little over 12K health, and I know that was a reason I died more than I should have.

I reset all her points and put 8 points into health, and the rest into magicka. She's in all necro, light armor, so her magicka is well over 32K. This increased her health, but I believe I needed more, so when I finished the Lord Vivec story line he gave me a heavy armor chest piece as reward. That armor had over 1K health, and now my magsorc is sitting at about 16,500. With food I can push it up to around 22K-23K.

Of course, I took a hit in max magicka using that chest piece but I can manage that.

So, the question is, what would be the optimum way to increase her health. I have a health regen necklace that increases health around 880 points, and some regen rings with a similar amount, and some other heavy and medium armor pieces (head, belt, shoes) that also increase health.

My magsorc has 10 pieces of Necro gear (jewelry +3 and light armor +7), so I can take a hit anywhere.

What is the best combination to increase her health?

1. First question, how much health should she have? Is the 16,500 (plus food at 22K) enough? I can live with that since I never had that much before.

2. Use more of the armor pieces I have; or use the rings/necklace I have to replace the Necro jewelry (the jewelry increases health regen which I don't have and adds 860+ health so with 2 or 3 pieces I could roughly add 1600-2400 health).

3. Reset her points and put more into health? I would take a hit in max magicka but with 10 pieces Necro I can make that up. Either way, I'm going to lose some max magicka, which reduces the damage my staff and abilities do.

Thanks for the help.
  • Malic
    Malic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. 22K with food should be fine on a mag sorc if you have a shield in your tool kit.
    2. Given the answer to 1, you should be using pieces that allow you to maintain that health and a good sheild. Everything else should be increasing the output of your role, Im assuming its DPS.
    3. I dont think you need to do that, at 22K and a shield you should be okay.

Dampen magic is a the LA skill thats going to scale of your LA pieces, it absorbs damage. Harden ward same thing it absorbs damage. So with 22K health and one of those up you should be okay.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    16k with food is fine tbh. You can survive any vet dungeon with that much if you know what you're doing. You can use a health enchant or 2 as well(you can also relocate some points into health, it's just easier to change enchants imo) if you feel like it's not enough, get maybe 18-19k. Over 20k imo is overkill, if you're being hit for 20k you're doing something wrong. Also, shields.

I'm a bit confused as for your level - you said you're level 40 but have full Necro gear? How is that possible?

Also, don't forget to get your Undaunted passives and that extra 6% to all stats, including health;)
    Edited by Magdalina on August 20, 2017 9:25PM
  • Sixsixsix161
    Sixsixsix161
    ✭✭✭
    @Magdalina

I had her in full necro at level 20. When you run the chests in Rivenspire, you get gear attuned to your level. Same with the drops from the WB. If RNG smiles upon you, you can do it all in less than two hours.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

PS: Forgot to mention, the Necro gear is not all purple. Mostly green and blue pieces, and maybe a purple if you're lucky. But it does give me a lot of magicka, plus the 5-piece bonus with the pet active.
    Edited by Sixsixsix161 on August 21, 2017 1:05AM
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Magdalina

I had her in full necro at level 20. When you run the chests in Rivenspire, you get gear attuned to your level. Same with the drops from the WB. If RNG smiles upon you, you can do it all in less than two hours.

PS: Forgot to mention, the Necro gear is not all purple. Mostly green and blue pieces, and maybe a purple if you're lucky. But it does give me a lot of magicka, plus the 5-piece bonus with the pet active.

That means you gotta re-farm it every ~5 levels or so though, level 20 gear would long be useless by level 40...I'd never have enough patience for that XD
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    On a magicka sorc its easy to get high health, just use blue health+magicka buff food, active pet (+8% health) and eventually undaunted mettle (5 light, 1 medium, 1 heavy) for another +6% health/magicka/stamina.

Im sitting at 19k health with nothing invested into health.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    16k ain't bad. If you can, get a piece of heavy armor (gotta equip 3 to unlock the skill line, but you need only 1), and level up heavy armor to get the Juggernaut passive. It's a personal trick of mine to get my health up to a decent level.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • IlCanis_LupuslI
    IlCanis_LupuslI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a post in the general forum that discussed players coming into dungeons/trials/etc., with very low amounts of health. The main reason was that character guides advice you to put all points into magicka (for mag characters) or stamina (for stam characters).

I had been doing that, too, and so my level 40 magsorc had a little over 12K health, and I know that was a reason I died more than I should have.

I reset all her points and put 8 points into health, and the rest into magicka. She's in all necro, light armor, so her magicka is well over 32K. This increased her health, but I believe I needed more, so when I finished the Lord Vivec story line he gave me a heavy armor chest piece as reward. That armor had over 1K health, and now my magsorc is sitting at about 16,500. With food I can push it up to around 22K-23K.

Of course, I took a hit in max magicka using that chest piece but I can manage that.

So, the question is, what would be the optimum way to increase her health. I have a health regen necklace that increases health around 880 points, and some regen rings with a similar amount, and some other heavy and medium armor pieces (head, belt, shoes) that also increase health.

My magsorc has 10 pieces of Necro gear (jewelry +3 and light armor +7), so I can take a hit anywhere.

What is the best combination to increase her health?

1. First question, how much health should she have? Is the 16,500 (plus food at 22K) enough? I can live with that since I never had that much before.

2. Use more of the armor pieces I have; or use the rings/necklace I have to replace the Necro jewelry (the jewelry increases health regen which I don't have and adds 860+ health so with 2 or 3 pieces I could roughly add 1600-2400 health).

3. Reset her points and put more into health? I would take a hit in max magicka but with 10 pieces Necro I can make that up. Either way, I'm going to lose some max magicka, which reduces the damage my staff and abilities do.

Thanks for the help.

The right buff food, prismatic enchants, undaunted passiva, 18k hp as a magsorc should be find. go 19k if you want to play safe if your not familiar with the mecanics...
    Cp 1490
    Xbox-EU-AD
    Khajiit Night blade Healer(BiS for cuteness)-Flawless Conquerer Grand Overlord
    Khajiit Stamsorc Werewolf, Flawless Conquerer (1st attempt ww form during the entire dungeon) main
    Khajiit(Master Race) Templar Healer, Flawless Conquerer
    Khajiit Stam dk, Flawless conquerer, 2nd attempt
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQhCmVHwZioVyTEDberxGtA?view_as=public
    Werewolf Veteran player, Since Wrathstone-DLC "Raid-Wolf", 50k dps with fracture, Pvp Healer.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a Sorc you need to be stacking shields . Light armor shield , Hardened Ward together will keep you up in between casting damage with cast times . Don't fire off a crystal shard without shielding up first . You can get by easily with 18-19k health on a Magsorc if you learn to stack shields properly .

If you are solo and need a heal , run resto staff and healing Ward with shields . That's another shield with a big heal at the end of its shield . If you master shield stacking before hard casting you will find running zero health points on Sorc is very easy of all classes .
  • ofSunhold
    ofSunhold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. 16.5 K unbuffed is fine, just keep an eye on your food buff (health + magicka) and keep your shields up. I assume you're using pets since you're wearing Necro, and the heal from the matriarch is strong if you have a good magicka pool.

2. Running one defensive(ish) set (like Necro) and one offensive set (like Julianos) will give you a nice cushion and also boost your power. Using one crafted set also means you can have pieces in any weight you want, so for example you could have 5 pieces of Julianos - heavy chest and legs, or heavy chest and med legs, and then two light pieces and your staves - and 5 pieces of Necro, including the jewelry. Do a health enchant on your chest or legs if you're still feeling squishy, and all the rest magicka for power, big shields, and big heals.

Two full sets. That should help a lot.

3. I wouldn't put any more in health. If you're dying a lot, adjust your enchants and try a stronger defensive set and even a different mundus boon before you lower your magicka pool further. But you won't be, if you keep up your shields. You'll survive even in Cyrodill if you keep your shields up.

Edited for large, silly error.
    Edited by ofSunhold on August 21, 2017 12:47PM
    Classes that don't need any class ability nerfs: Nightblades, Dragonknights, Sorcs, Templars, Wardens.
  • Sixsixsix161
    Sixsixsix161
    ✭✭✭
    Magdalina wrote: »
    @Magdalina

That means you gotta re-farm it every ~5 levels or so though, level 20 gear would long be useless by level 40...I'd never have enough patience for that XD

@Magdalina

I upgrade every Sunday morning lol.

Lot of stuff to think about, thanks again everyone.

• Dubhliam
    Dubhliam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With food buff you should aim to have at least 17k, preferrably 18k.

Any more is not necessary, and you lose a lot of damage if you take out of your magicka pool to give into health.
    >>>Detailed Justice System Concept thread<<<
  • Syrani
    Syrani
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure if I am reading your OP right or not, but it sounds like your build is a bit messed up. First of all, you should NEVER wear 10 pieces of the same set. If that is what you are doing, you really need to get rid of 5 of those pieces and grab a DIFFERENT 5 piece set. For the set bonuses, you only get them once - you will not double the bonuses because you are wearing "2 five piece sets" of the same set. If you are actually wearing 10 pieces of Necro, do as suggested above and replace 5 of those with 5 piece Julianos, as the additional 5 pieces of Necro are doing absolutely nothing for you. It is also a good idea to run 5 light pieces of armour along with one heavy and one medium so that you can get the benefit of the undaunted passives and some of the armour passives once you have them leveled (plus they provide a bit more armour than light does).

For enchants, you do not want health recovery as a damage dealer. Your jewelry should be arcane trait (if you can get it) and enchanted with either spell damage, or if you have trouble sustaining, enchant with magicka cost reduction/ magikca regen. All of your armour should be enchanted with max magicka.

For health, in no instance do you need 20k plus health. 17k-18k ish is fine for all content. You can place a few attribute points into health if you want to get you there, in conjunction with blue health/mag food. Also, as a mag sorc, you should be using Hardened Ward to help keep you alive, and you can also use Power Surge for some nice self healing.

If you do the things listed above, AND learn to stay out of the bad/block the bad, you should be able to stay alive just fine and do a decent amount of damage.

Also, check out Alcast's pet sorcerer build here for more info on what to run/how to build:
    https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-sorcerer-pet-build-pve/
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All my sorcerer's are 16K to 18K Health buffed with Purple Food. They do just fine.

You can add a Health Glyph to any armor, does not need to be Heavy.

You only get good results with the Heavy Armor passives if you wear 5 pieces. However, 2 Heavy and 5 Light is a good combo for Casters (if your Undaunted is L9 or better, then Heavy Chest, Medium Legs the rest Light). You will be less squishy and need overall Health less if you sport some Medium or Heavy Armor.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Lorajet
    Lorajet
    ✭✭✭
    Syrani wrote: »
    I am not sure if I am reading your OP right or not, but it sounds like your build is a bit messed up. First of all, you should NEVER wear 10 pieces of the same set. If that is what you are doing, you really need to get rid of 5 of those pieces and grab a DIFFERENT 5 piece set. For the set bonuses, you only get them once - you will not double the bonuses because you are wearing "2 five piece sets" of the same set. If you are actually wearing 10 pieces of Necro, do as suggested above and replace 5 of those with 5 piece Julianos, as the additional 5 pieces of Necro are doing absolutely nothing for you. It is also a good idea to run 5 light pieces of armour along with one heavy and one medium so that you can get the benefit of the undaunted passives and some of the armour passives once you have them leveled (plus they provide a bit more armour than light does).

For enchants, you do not want health recovery as a damage dealer. Your jewelry should be arcane trait (if you can get it) and enchanted with either spell damage, or if you have trouble sustaining, enchant with magicka cost reduction/ magikca regen. All of your armour should be enchanted with max magicka.

For health, in no instance do you need 20k plus health. 17k-18k ish is fine for all content. You can place a few attribute points into health if you want to get you there, in conjunction with blue health/mag food. Also, as a mag sorc, you should be using Hardened Ward to help keep you alive, and you can also use Power Surge for some nice self healing.

If you do the things listed above, AND learn to stay out of the bad/block the bad, you should be able to stay alive just fine and do a decent amount of damage.

Also, check out Alcast's pet sorcerer build here for more info on what to run/how to build:
    https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-sorcerer-pet-build-pve/

This. Excellent write-up, plus I relearned a few things.