The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Why is my gamer notebook overheating so much on ESO in the last months?

altemriel
altemriel
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Why is my gamer notebook overheating so much on ESO in the last months?
It havent been so before. I use the fan pad, but still it is too hot, 85 ° C.
What do I have to do to make it cooler?
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. A good cleaning of the internal laptop and cooling pad fans and vents.
    2. Air conditioning (it's hot as *** where I live. Without AC, I think my lappy would melt.)
    3. A new laptop?
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Monitor your CPU usage and see if you can pinpoint certain in-game activities to high CPU/GPU load.

For example, ESO used to eat up almost 100% of CPU when in a loading screen. A simple sleep(x) placed at the right places could avoid such high usage when the game is basically idle.
    type.gif
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Start with a cleaning first then try running it.
  • s7732425ub17_ESO
    s7732425ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to clean out the fan.
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proper computer maintenance involves more than just making sure updates are installed, backups done, and malware scans scheduled. You also need to clean them regularly. You'll be surprised how much crap gets inside - especially if you have pets!!

Dust is a great insulator. A nice layer of dust on your heat sinks can basically render them unable to dissipate excess heat.

Usually blowing canned air into the vents when it's off is enough to dislodge any loose dust. It should be blown out next time you turn your laptop on. If you know what you're doing, you can sometimes pull the back covers off to get to the hard drive, memory, and/or CPU and give it a deep clean.
    Edited by PlagueSD on August 18, 2017 9:38PM
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bugs can also get inside too. I've seen people on the internet complain about everything from spiders to cockroaches getting inside their electronics.

Give it a small shake, if you hear noise, might be insects corpses.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PlagueSD wrote: »
    Proper computer maintenance involves more than just making sure updates are installed, backups done, and malware scans scheduled. You also need to clean them regularly. You'll be surprised how much crap gets inside - especially if you have pets!!

Dust is a great insulator. A nice layer of dust on your heat sinks can basically render them unable to dissipate excess heat.

Usually blowing canned air into the vents when it's off is enough to dislodge any loose dust. It should be blown out next time you turn your laptop on. If you know what you're doing, you can sometimes pull the back covers off to get to the hard drive, memory, and/or CPU and give it a deep clean.
    This, note that laptops has small heat sinks and fans, an gaming tower will typically have 100 up to 1000 times more heat sink and fan area. Compressed air is nice. you might also want to open it if it don't help, have compressed air and get an friend to help.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Megabear
    Megabear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's usually dust. I had two gaming laptops before, they both crapped out in 2 years almost exactly. I never cleaned the dust though.
    Guide to making $$$ in Tamriel: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/370618/guide-to-making-gold-in-eso/p1?new=1
    Cost analysis for potential ESO players: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/367919/cost-analysis-for-brand-new-potential-pc-eso-players#latest
    Warden Bow Healer/DPS Hybrid Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-bow-healerdps-hybrid/
    Warden "The Warladin" Healer/Tank Hybrid Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-the-warladin-healertank-hybrid-build/
    Warden Stamina DPS Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-dps-build/
    Server - PC/NA
    Vhevet - (S) Night Blade/Female/Orsimer
    Ecaer - (M) Templar/Female/Breton
    Captain Beaster Bunny - (S) Warden/Male/Red Guard
    Ezaera - (M) Sorcerer/Female/Altmer
    Ecaeri - (M) Warden/Female/Argonian
    Dun-and-Dunmer - (M) Dragon Knight/Male/Dunmer
    What Can Go Wong - (S) Night Blade/Male/Bosmer
    Izaer - (M) Templar/Male/Breton
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Megabear wrote: »
    It's usually dust. I had two gaming laptops before, they both crapped out in 2 years almost exactly. I never cleaned the dust though.

how to clean the dust? must open it or somehow with vacuum cleaner, no?

• Megabear
    Megabear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    altemriel wrote: »
    Megabear wrote: »

how to clean the dust? must open it or somehow with vacuum cleaner, no?

That's why I never cleaned my laptop :) With desktop it's easy, but with laptop I have no clue and given how inept I am with not breaking stuff, I chose to let die a natural death. You might want to find YouTube videos on it.. I'm sure show you how somewhere.
    Guide to making $$$ in Tamriel: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/370618/guide-to-making-gold-in-eso/p1?new=1
    Cost analysis for potential ESO players: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/367919/cost-analysis-for-brand-new-potential-pc-eso-players#latest
    Warden Bow Healer/DPS Hybrid Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-bow-healerdps-hybrid/
    Warden "The Warladin" Healer/Tank Hybrid Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-the-warladin-healertank-hybrid-build/
    Warden Stamina DPS Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-dps-build/
    Server - PC/NA
    Vhevet - (S) Night Blade/Female/Orsimer
    Ecaer - (M) Templar/Female/Breton
    Captain Beaster Bunny - (S) Warden/Male/Red Guard
    Ezaera - (M) Sorcerer/Female/Altmer
    Ecaeri - (M) Warden/Female/Argonian
    Dun-and-Dunmer - (M) Dragon Knight/Male/Dunmer
    What Can Go Wong - (S) Night Blade/Male/Bosmer
    Izaer - (M) Templar/Male/Breton
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    u need something like this (cheap costs 10-15 euros,lasts a lifetime)

a2DyFYD.jpg

called blower,check some vids on utube how to open back cover of your laptop
    under should be 2 fans, one for cpu one for gpu
    hold or block the fan and blow some air for 30sec
    do not at any case let the fan spin when using it
    if you still having heat probs,you may want to change thermal paste to above cpu&gpu a bit more complicated work
    also a tech guy can do all the above for you(about 30 euros)
    good luck
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

• Nebthet78
    Nebthet78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also, check to ensure there isn't a program on your pc called XBOXSTATS.EXE .. while it is a valid program by Microsoft, it uses 17% CPU even when it's idle.. make sure it is disabled in your startup.

The program is typically accidentally downloaded when plugging in a 360 or Xbox One controller.
    Far too many characters to list any more.
  • DeathHouseInc
    DeathHouseInc
    ✭✭✭
    Mines been doing the same...played a lot of games on ultra not sure why this one over heats things...
    Edited by DeathHouseInc on August 19, 2017 4:20PM
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mines been doing the same...played a lot of games on ultra not sure why this one over heats things...

the funny thing is that I have a cooling pad with 3 little fans and it cooled it just enough a year ago, or half a year I don`t know exactly. But in the last months it gets heated up to 87 degrees and so on. The fans do not cool it somehow anymore.
    Is it some bug in the newly added code, or got my fans and inside of the notebook full of dust and that is why overheating?

@ZOS_RichLambert @Wrobel @ZOS_KaiSchober @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_AlanG @ZOS_MattFiror @ZOS_BrianWheeler
    Edited by altemriel on August 19, 2017 6:15PM
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nebthet78 wrote: »
    Also, check to ensure there isn't a program on your pc called XBOXSTATS.EXE .. while it is a valid program by Microsoft, it uses 17% CPU even when it's idle.. make sure it is disabled in your startup.

The program is typically accidentally downloaded when plugging in a 360 or Xbox One controller.

I am on pc ;)
  • XistenZ_one
    Fun story: my lappy started getting insane temps just after I started playing ESO regularly quite some time ago.

It's just a coincidink though, the game might put a strain on your hardware but in no way does it force the temperatures. High temperature just means your cooling is inadequate. As many pointed out, dust is THE biggest culprit, followed by old dried out thermal paste (sometimes thermal pads, those can also be replaced).

I must also add that you can replace the actual fan(s). Even if they seem to work they might spin far less than they should. If you open up your laptop to expose the fans (find tutorials on youtube how to open your specific model) and flick the fan gently, do you feel any resistance from it? When the fan stops, does it stop abruptbly or does the fan go slower and slower until it halts? The fan should spin with no effort, otherwise it needs to be replaced.
  • jasann
    jasann
    ✭✭✭
    altemriel wrote: »
    Nebthet78 wrote: »

I am on pc ;)

What the guy said applies to PC especially windows 10
  • GrimClaw
    GrimClaw
    ✭✭✭
    Open it, replace thermal paste with Grizzly liquid metal. I removed the heatspreader of my CPU (3770K) and replace thermal paste with Grizzly. 20° less on air.
    Edited by GrimClaw on August 21, 2017 9:55AM
  • SilentRaven1972
    SilentRaven1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    Like everyone said, dust is the most likely culprit. Look for little vent openings on the sides and bottom of your device. You can use canned air, blown into those vents (device off) to remove some of the dust build-up. Dust can build up fast, even in what seems to be a relatively low-dust environment. You could also take the device to a computer repair shop and let them do a thorough dusting, but that will cost.

I have a desktop, but I use canned air for quick dustings, and every 6 months or so I open it up and dust with a regular compressor. Dust is horrid here with a cat, a main road and a sawmill :/
    "Such is the nature of evil. Out there in the vast ignorance of the world, it festers and spreads. A shadow that grows in the dark. A sleepless malice as black as the oncoming wall of night. So it ever was, so will it always be. In time all foul things come forth." -Thranduil