The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Do you like crafting?

• Hluill
    Hluill
    ✭✭✭
    I've played MMOs that had crafting systems that allowed me to spend time JUST crafting.

ESO uses a simplistic, click-and-create system that seems to be the go to mechanic for MMOs now, which is depressing. And don't get me started on some of the other ESO crafting mechanics like gear sets, research and motifs...

I like being able to make gear for my characters, but's it's a chore, not a fun activity.

And with the furniture crafting, I am really frustrated by the fact that I spread out my crafting skills among three characters...
    Black-handed Hluill and his daughter Leyek of House Numaril.
  • erliesc
    erliesc
    ✭✭✭
    Astarana wrote: »
    Baranthus wrote: »
    I love crafting, but leveling enchanting is a nightmare.

There's a little trick to levelling enchanting. It's possible (assimung you have enough skill points of course) to go from 1-50 in about 5-10 minutes.

Would you share your trick? I'm stuck at lvl 40 trying to decon all the glyphs that I get.
    I feel it is too expensive to buy green/blue/purple glyphs to lvl up fast, if that's your trick.

Don't know the trick...but when you buy glyphs to deconstruct you need to pay attention to the "experience" you get from deconsructing various glyphs related to the level your crafting is on....you want the highest experience relative to your cost to buy the glyph...plus you can get stuff back. The highest level glyphs don't always give you the most gain.

Same goes for the other crafting lines like armor/weapons. You buy the best bargains when you see them.

You can sell stuff at the higher levels for much more than the lower level stuff brings....so you are eventaully paid back.
    I know nutting....
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like crafting, and the general crafting system used in ESO is on the right track, but it is, and probably always will be, a side show.

1. I like enchanting and the need to mix and match runes.
    2. The mechanics for alchemy are the best in the game. There is a good feel to this. They act like they really don't know what to do with it.
    3. Provisioning is good for the insane variety of recipes. Love it for just that reason. I feel like I have more of an option in what to craft than I actually do, and that is a good thing.
    4. Equipment crafting is marginal.

That is not to say that the whole thing is a wild party...

1. They have removed the reason to craft equipment with the drop sets. I still do it, mainly because I hate grinding, but I don't feel that I am doing something that has value.
    2. Crafting is still mired in the pre-One Tamriel era in that it is still tied to the old levels. It needs to break free of that. They need to have a better way to differentiate between crafters of different skill levels.
    3. One node to serve them all sucks. Terrific that every node gives you proper leveled material. See above.
    4. I would have liked to see some more complexity in equipment crafting, and less punishment for learning traits. We should have been able to stack traits, for example.
    5. Crafting should be more integral with the overall economy than it is. There is no artisan feel to crafting, and there could have been if it was not a side show.
    6. Furniture crafting should be a separate thing.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Lirkin
    Lirkin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like being able to make all my own stuff. I think research is to long to do since you can level so fast you can't make the stuff you need to compete in time for the levels you get unless you level a bunch of characters together.

I also think enchanting is crazy hard to level
    Edited by Lirkin on August 22, 2017 3:59AM
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    About 30-40% fun from ESO comes from crafting. Crafting is vital for any game.
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy it, but would like the option somehow to "level" my items; I'd even pay the same cost in mats to make a new one (or close) 'cause I would like to say ... keep using the family sword recently recovered from the Barrow of Doom (or something like that).

All my characters decon most of what they find and slowly go up in crafting ability. I wish we had more craftable sets that rival some of the coolness of the found sets.

OTOH some of the dropped sets, I find myself just shaking my head wondering what the person who designed it (or worse, put it in the game) was thinking.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • cbdfarm
    cbdfarm
    ✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    Yes, but the stes need a buff. It looked like HotR was going to do it, but I'm unsure now.

Crafting sets going to CP180 and drop sets staying at 160 might do it

This right here 100 percent. Most dropped sets are better then crafted. Crafting sets only help low level characters who just started otherwise everyone is just sharing bank space between characters getting good gear that drops giving it to there other characters making crafting pretty useless.
  • erliesc
    erliesc
    ✭✭✭
    cbdfarm wrote: »
    Beardimus wrote: »
    Yes, but the stes need a buff. It looked like HotR was going to do it, but I'm unsure now.

Crafting sets going to CP180 and drop sets staying at 160 might do it

This right here 100 percent. Most dropped sets are better then crafted. Crafting sets only help low level characters who just started otherwise everyone is just sharing bank space between characters getting good gear that drops giving it to there other characters making crafting pretty useless.

If you combine a 5 piece crafted set and another 3 pieces from another crafted set you can get some good combinations...plus all at the same top level.

A dropped set on the same level with characteristics you want is hard to find or costly to buy?
    I know nutting....