The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

As a new player Cyrodil is so confusing. How does it work?

Noyack
Noyack
I am a level 27 Dragon Knight.
I am finally getting to understand combat. I run a tank sword and shield and I know how to taunt. I have smoothly completed several simple dungeons with pub groups.

I switch to a more Dps two hand and now I am even actively switching in combat between my tank and dps for best results.

I love the quests and am feeling like I am learning and understanding this game.

So I figured I would jump into pvp and give it a try. But when i went to Cyrodil i was so confused. i couldn't find anyone. I couldn't fast travel. I wasn't in a group. and I was all alone in a giant map. I saw no enemies and no friendlies. well a few players but they were doing nothing. I posted in chat, no one responded at all. no one was even talking.

I went into Cyrodil and ended up getting lost and I couldnt fast travel back. it took me an hour just to get back to the area I started in and fast travel back to vvardenfell. It was a total waste of time and a disaster. What gives?
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh man - choose your map well :)

if you're looking for action head to your platform/server's 30 day cp map...

make sure you complete the initial quest so the mission boards activate...

if you're looking for a social experience - type "lfg" in chat...

learn the map - most battles will occur at the six emperor keeps surrounding the lake (can't remember the name), which surrounds imperial city...

check the map for where your alliances color is close to an enemies color...look for cross swords also...

the outposts are great for finding fights...

once you find some zerg on zerg violence - you're home :)
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    First, make sure you go into the "Kyne" campaign. It's for players level 10-49 only. And usually has a good population. Definitely do this because in the other campaigns (especially CP enabled ones) you will be mowed down very quickly by players on steroids (in game and most likely they are on it irl too) and get frustrated.

Second, what you wear in PvE won't really cut it in PvP. You will want to have impenetrable trait on your armor for sure.

Third, you can only fast travel to keeps or outposts your alliance owns (AD yellow, DC blue, EP red) and if at least one resource (mine, farm, lumber mill) surrounding the keep is owned by your alliance. You fast travel using the transitus stones (not to be confused with wayshrine). If fast travel is available to you to a keep, you will see the "lines" on map connecting each keep highlighted bright in your alliance color. Further, you can't fast travel or respawn at any keep that is "under attack".

In zone say you are looking for a group "lfg", say you are new and looking to learn. That's pretty much it. It seems intimidating at first but even though Cyrodiil is a massive zone you get the hang of things pretty quick.
    Edited by Publius_Scipio on August 15, 2017 4:09AM
  • S1ipperyJim
    S1ipperyJim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To fast travel, Cyrodiil uses transitus shrines. These connect alliance-controlled keeps, but cannot be used if the keep which the wayshrine is located at is under siege. If you look on the map you can use transitus shrines to travel between the keeps on your map which have a solid colour connecting them which corresponds with your alliance colour. For more info:

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Transitus_Network

If all else fails and you are miles from a transitus shrine, simply kill yourself to travel back to the starting keep, or allow yourself to be killed by another faction's guards to allow reviving at any alliance controlled keep/town etc. The good thing is in PVE there is hardly any penalty to your armour health from dying.

To find battles, look on your map and travel to places where there is currently a battle shown (crossed swords, keeps under siege) or you can anticipate where these will happen soon with experience and by looking for central keeps where two alliances are next to each other.

Keep in mind that there are some 'dead' periods in a campaign, typically if the entire map is one colour then you most likley won't find any battles.

If you keep posting in chat for a group and have no luck, start your own group! Often people keep on asking for a group when they could have invited all the other LFG's into a new group and got a decent sized squad happening.

• RANKK7
    RANKK7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noyack wrote: »
    I went into Cyrodil and ended up getting lost and I couldnt fast travel back. it took me an hour just to get back to the area I started in and fast travel back to vvardenfell. It was a total waste of time and a disaster. What gives?
    This bought me good memories... first time I went in Cyrodiil I couldn't find the way back for the life of me, I kept running from Transitus to Transitus like a fool, really I couldn't see the wayshrine, I was truly new to the game, no addons, no minimap or any decent knowledge of map icons yet.
    I was kind of desperate, looked 100 times at the Campaign tab and thought "damn, 7 days! I can't leave the zone for 7 days!" I was in Haderus. The only way to leave (seemed to me) was to abandon and pay 100k gold or 100k alliance points, I was like: LOL WTF?! 100k!
    I really thought I was doomed to stay in there until the end of the campaign. I followed some people in combat, went to some keeps and outposts, had fun getting rekt very much, I don't even know what I was wearing, some random green/blue crap found in pve, then I made some friends and they showed me the wayshrine :D. It's good memories after all.

lll
    "I really don't know who the **** came off with this change. Definitely somebody who does not play the game, that's for sure".
    lll
  • Anlace
    Anlace
    ✭✭✭
    You might want to google for PvP guides. There's a LOT of stuff to learn, and the game itself will teach you about three percent of it.
    Templar - Warden - Sorc
    all magicka all the time
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do the tutorial quest. Follow it through, and don't take the fast way out. It will explain how to navigate the transitus, and is the easiest 2 skill points you'll earn in game.

For everything else, Publius nailed it. Do what he said.

Edited to link Brian's old FAQ. It's a bit out of date, but everything here is still accurate, and helps explain some of what may be confusing to someone trying to figure out Cyrodiil for the first time:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/68593/alliance-war-faq#latest
    Edited by Reverb on August 15, 2017 4:55AM
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Ihatenightblades
    Ihatenightblades
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lmaoooooooooo. I died at "i couldnt fast travel"
  • Olen_Mikko
    Olen_Mikko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be in Under level 50 campaign. It is usually quite popular.

Cyrodiil is huge, so fights are usually centered on emperor keeps (Blue road Keep, Alessia, Roebeck, Ash, Aleswell and Chalman)

Look for crossed swords. They indicate fights. Bigger swords, bigger fight. They also are in different colors, to tell you who's fighting who.

You can't fast travel in Cyrodiil. You can travel through wayshrines that are found in keeps and outposts. Keep needs to be linked, in order to travel through keeps / border

Hope this clarifies at least a bit.
    NB enthusiastic:
    1. Woodhippie stamblade - DW hard-hitter / PvE
    2. Know-it-all elf Magblade - Healer / PvE & PvP
    3. Hate-them-all elf Magblade - Destrostaff AoE monster / PvE
    4. Cyrodiil-Refugee stamblade - Stamina Tank / PvE

Go dominion or go home

Nightblade-Hipster. I played Nightblade before it was cool - from 1.5 onwards.
  • LordNilloc
    LordNilloc
    ✭✭✭
    What platform and server are you on?
    If xbox NA I'll invite you to a guild that can help you out.
    If not, I'm sure someone else will be more than happy to do the same.
  • Glass
    Glass
    ✭✭✭
    There are 3 ways that Cyrodiil works

You can queue in VIvec and get zerged between BRK and Sejanus, Nikel-Roebeck and Aleswell and Bleakers all day long

You can queue in Sotha join the alliance that has more people and wait for everyone to go to sleep or logout for being outnumbered and take the whole map killing a handful of players but a bunch full of guards

FAN4v3T.jpg

Or best feature in Horns of the Reach, join an empty campaign and get emperor in one alliance and then swap to the other and get emperor for a buddy straight after, killing all the guards that you can get with no enemy players to be spotted.

1oG0z0U.jpg
  • Jamascus
    Jamascus
    ✭✭✭✭

C'mom man, that isn't helpful.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

With you being dead now, I guess we can look forward to you not posting here anymore.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Noyack ...i'm so jealous...i still remember how excited i was to first discover pvp...

couple of quick tips:
    - buy plenty of stamina/magicka/health potions from siege merchant - quickslot and use them
    - stay in stealth - as much as possible
    - buy souls gems - rez your allies whenever possible
    - slot vigor - you can make a ton of AP by healing allies
    - slot rapid maneuvers when moving from keep to keep - offensive/"capture" ticks (AP rewards) are the way to go at the moment, you need to be able to move around quickly as soon as you see an enemy keep/outpost is "flagged"
    - use siege equipment: flaming oil on tops of keeps/outposts, alliance ballistas for breaking down enemy doors and walls, fire ballistas for shooting at enemies
    - pick your fights wisely

Sword and Board will work fine for melee combat - but, you need to also have either a bow or staff equipped for long range combat...a lot of zerg combat occurs with at least 20 meters or more distance from your enemies...

turtle up - make sure you go in wearing lots of heavy armor, get your shields and heals straight, block and roll dodge a bunch...the trick is to stay alive as long as possible so you can continue to accumulate AP at a decent pace...combat scaling will help make you naturally harder to kill...

forget the non-vet campaigns...they're just as, if not more so, competitive than the 30 day cp map - only thing - you won't have the combat scaling/leveling bonus for your lower level character to help give you an edge...

get out in to the deep water, you'll learn to swim a lot faster...you may not be able to 1v1 other players - but, hopefully in short time you'll learn to use your allies and surroundings to make plenty of kills...

Edited by geonsocal on August 15, 2017 6:50PM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dexter-animated-gif-18210-18759-hd-wallpapers.jpg
    Edited by geonsocal on August 15, 2017 7:17PM
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh and upgrade dat horse speed oooh yeah.

HorseSim2017
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everybody's first time in Cyrodiil: Sooo... how do I get out of here now?

Welcome to PvP, OP. If you follow the tips people have given you in this thread you will be on your way to having fun in no time.
    The Moot Councillor
  • SlinkySlack
    SlinkySlack
    ✭✭✭
    Also when looking at map, click settings and make sure everything will display. I for on did not know you can set map settings for when you look at map and for when you travel by shrine/"tartus stone" resulting in different displays. Sometimes in groups that moves fast and far its easier for me to display less as to not clutter the map so I can see group. Sometimes doing delves its easier to display everything. Set for current need.
  • squidprojectb14_ESO
    Welcome to Cyrodiil, the best part of ESO! All of the above advice is good. I would like to add that at first you will die all the time. You will think you're getting one-shotted, but you're not. Experienced players know how to line up heavy burst attacks to all land at more or less the same time. An example is snipe, heavy attack, poison injection, crit rush, execute. The bow abilities will all land at more or less the same time, and it feels like a one-shot but it isn't. Fortunately this only really works if they see you first. So learn not to be seen first.
    --Ral (SquidProject)

Pls. no Swareing GM (RIP--there was too much swareing)

AD: Ralastor, Magblade; Squid Pro Quo; Stamsorc
    EP: High Blood Sugar; Stamsorc
  • Capsaica
    Capsaica
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to PvP! Good advice for the most part in the previous posts. I highly recommend doing the tutorial quest. It will teach you about siege, how to travel in Cyrodiil, and the basics. As Publius suggested, go for the level 10-49 campaign. This will put you on a more level playing field with others, and there are often a decent number of people who will invite anyone into a group. Look to zone chat for people advertising "Type x for group," with "x" being whatever invite string they are using to add people to their group.

If you are on PC, you will want to consider downloading teamspeak and/or discord if you don't already have them. Both are voice comms programs which will allow you to communicate with other people by talking rather than typing. Often times, groups will only invite players if they have one of these programs. You usually do not have to have a microphone, just the ability to listen to commands.

Buy some fire ballistas and firepot trebuchets from the siege merchants for gold. Those are good starter siege until you earn enough AP to buy the other siege engines.

Upgrade your character's riding ability. Mount speed is crucial in Cyrodiil. Mount stamina is also important.

Have fun and good luck!
  • W0lf_z13
    W0lf_z13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    as previously stated Kyne is a VERY good place for you to start learning PvP ... granted there are some people that reroll in kyne to stay in there ( i was one of them but im getting to the point where im going to move on ) but the low level campaign is the best place to start to learn the map and everything ... there is ALOT to learn and understand about PvP so it will take some time to grasp everything
    Breton Nightblade ~ Fang of the Wolf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Dragonknight ~ Ðårk Ŵølf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Necro ~ Ðeåth Ŵølf ~ (50)

☣☣☣   |     Alliance ~Daggerfall Covenant~     |     Server ~NA PC~     |     CP's ~2156~     |     ☣☣☣
  • W0lf_z13
    W0lf_z13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    also... keep in mind that PvP is a completely "different animal" than Pve ... things that work well in PvE might not work as well in PvP and vice versa ... for example ... a lot of people run 5H/2m(2L) in Cyro ... esp in Kyne ... in the CP campaigns you can get away easier with not running 5H
    Breton Nightblade ~ Fang of the Wolf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Dragonknight ~ Ðårk Ŵølf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Necro ~ Ðeåth Ŵølf ~ (50)

☣☣☣   |     Alliance ~Daggerfall Covenant~     |     Server ~NA PC~     |     CP's ~2156~     |     ☣☣☣
  • gabriebe
    gabriebe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're a level 27 DK, start in Kyne. It's pretty active usually, and disadvantages like not having a speedy horse (or any horse at all) are mitigated. Just type X or LFG in zone chat, if nobody answers then just make a group yourself.

Use the blue shrine in the middle of the base to fast travel.

Buy siege from the vendors inside every keep. Stone is for walls, rams for the front door only and fire for players.

Siege keep walls and front doors only, not the ornamental postern houses. On the inner keep walls, siege the wall bits around the side doors, not the side door itself.

Don't be afraid to ask for help, very often people will offer to craft you some gear if you ask nicely.

Former Empresses: Saliva Bortschion (MagBlade), Janet From Finance (PvP MagSorc), Carla Swagan (Tank DK), Estelle Born (StamBlade), Enya Arsenal (MagPlar), Anita Nurse (Magplar Healer), Bearback Brigitte (Magden), Rachel Justice (MagDK), Nicole From Payroll (Stamden), Bailiff Belinda (PvE MagSorc), Féline Dion (StamDK), Septic Tank Tina (Necro Tank)

The runts: The Trolly Spirit (Tank Sorc), Floods-Your-Basement (Warden Healer) Dinah Asthma (Magcro), Total Top Tony (Stamcro)

The traitor
    s: Janis Javelin (Stamplar, EP), Barbecue Becky (Magblade Healer, AD)

PvE: Gryphon Heart, Immortal Redeemer, Flawless Conqueror

GM: Animal Control

• geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well @Noyack ...we are all eagerly awaiting to hear of your pvp exploits...

any interesting deaths yet?
  • Sylianwe
    Sylianwe
    ✭✭✭
    Cyrodiil can be rather confusing.

Although I'm CP 298, it's my first time there as well.

I have no idea what I'm doing so I'm just running around and exploring the environment.

When I see a group from my faction, I ask to join them and follow their lead. It's a good learning curve.

Edited by Sylianwe on January 7, 2021 5:21PM
    The mind is a walled garden, even death can not touch the flowers blooming there 🌹
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Malfoy wrote: »
    I've just read through this entire thread. This is my first time in Cyrodiil as well. I'm CP 298. I have no idea what I'm doing so I'm just crafting, shopping, and enjoying nature.

Help.

Sincerely, one lost Dunmer.

what would you like to accomplish?
  • p00tx
    p00tx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Getting lost and confused your first time into Cyrodil is kind of a rite of passage. We've all been there. I was stuck for a week before I finally figured it out. I would suggest joining a PvP guild (you can find them on here in the guilds section) that uses voice chat to communicate. They can help you out.
    PC/Xbox NA Mindmender|Swashbuckler Supreme|Planes Breaker|Dawnbringer|Godslayer|Immortal Redeemer|Gryphon Heart|Tick-tock Tormentor|Dro-m'Athra Destroyer|Stormproof|Grand Overlord|Grand Mastercrafter|Master Grappler|Tamriel Hero
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It takes a long time to get comfortable in PvP , doesn't it! But it is worth the investment. There is no other gaming experience like it. Sieging an enemy keep and engaging in a huge battle with a good opponent force is unlike anything else. Taking a keep after multiple fails in a 45 minute battle-- amazing.

Now if only they could solve the lag issue...
    Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
    Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
    Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
    Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
    Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
    Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
    Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Tribune
    Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Tribune
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • John_1999
    John_1999
    ✭✭✭
    just leave Cyrodiil, leave this cancer chees contest before its too late my friend. :smile:
    Magicka Templar: Tammi von Tamriel
    Stammina Templar: John James Smith

-Current CP: 3601-

-Just a noob in a world full of pro's.-
    -There is no bussines like lag bussines-
  • prototypefb
    prototypefb
    ✭✭✭✭
    you can also quest in cyro but rng is against you for things like scroll quest from Dortene, whoever coded 'rng' is a tool.
    you will get tired of abandoning quest you don't want jus tto get exact same quest over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over untill you give up xD
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great =/

Another *** DK in Cyrodiil.
This discussion has been closed.