Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

tank questions [revised for new questions]

Azuramoonstar
Azuramoonstar
✭✭✭✭
so i played ESO a good bit as a solo thief. I found it fun and find the game fun.

I mostly have been tanking since ff14, and enjoy tanking as a whole. I'm curious what attributes tank use, as i am a bit confused on how to spend attribute points as a tank, like tanks need health, but need to deal damage.

id like to play dunmer, was a khajiit thief.

edit:

I'm thinking of Rolling an Altmer ice staff Winter's embrace warden.

Curious on which armor type would be best Heavy or light.

I'm assuming heavy, but want other opinion since i'm still learning
Edited by Azuramoonstar on August 12, 2017 1:34PM
Long time mmo player: 2004-[current year]
Long time Elder scrolls player: Xbox launch morrowind.
Follower of the dawn and dusk, keeper of the moon and star.
  • Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tanks need all three resources. You use magicka for shields, cc and buffs. You use stam for debuff, taunt and mitigation (roll dodge, cc break and block). You want your health around 28-30k at least for Vet Dungeons (current meta is more for trials) and then you want to have as much as you can in the other two pools. Good recovery in magicka is also a good idea especially if you can convert magicka to stamina.

No difference between the platforms for this so you don't need to say PS4 in the title.
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
  • Azuramoonstar
    Azuramoonstar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tanks need all three resources. You use magicka for shields, cc and buffs. You use stam for debuff, taunt and mitigation (roll dodge, cc break and block). You want your health around 28-30k at least for Vet Dungeons (current meta is more for trials) and then you want to have as much as you can in the other two pools. Good recovery in magicka is also a good idea especially if you can convert magicka to stamina.

No difference between the platforms for this so you don't need to say PS4 in the title.

kk just didn't know if ps4/pc are on different builds, like say neverwinter.

so you pretty much put points in everything? cuz from what i was told you put your atribute poinrs in 1 state either stem or magica.

is it not the same for tanks?
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's correct - not the same for tanks. They are actually a hybrid class when it comes to resourses. Healers tend to be pure magicka whereas dps tend to go all magicka or all stam based on their weapon choices.

The exact distribution of tank attribute points will vary based on a number of factors. That is because your attributes can also be boosted by gear enchantments, set bonuses and food. And the final exact numbers you find necessary will become more clear as you develop your style. Some tanks like magic shields that rely on the size of their health bar - that might mean wanting a bit more health. Some tanks really block alot - but stam does not regen while blocking; those tanks might want a bigger stam pool while emphasizing mag regeneration to compensate for the slightly smaller resultant mag pool.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on August 12, 2017 12:23PM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Azuramoonstar
    Azuramoonstar
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's correct - not the same for tanks. They are actually a hybrid class when it comes to resourses. Healers tend to be pure magicka whereas dps tend to go all magicka or all stam based on their weapon choices.

The exact distribution of tank attribute points will vary based on a number of factors. That is because your attributes can also be boosted by gear enchantments, set bonuses and food. And the final exact numbers you find necessary will become more clear as you develop your style. Some tanks like magic shields that rely on the size of their health bar - that might mean wanting a bit more health. Some tanks really block alot - but stam does not regen while blocking; those tanks might want a bigger stam pool while emphasizing mag regeneration to compensate for the slightly smaller resultant mag pool.

ok

at looking through the various tank/tank trees i'm liking the ice tree from Warden (seen the ice protection, and found it to be pretty) and also heard ice staff heavy attack is a taunt.

is the ice staff thing true? and what gear would this style of tank use.

i was thinking ice staff/ ice line maybe rolling alter. (though rp wise for personal flavor she gonna be a falmer.. personal reason to join ebonhart pact)
    Edited by Azuramoonstar on August 12, 2017 1:06PM
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Don't put attributes in Max magicka, you won't need it. Get your Max stamina to about 20k and then the rest you can put into Health. What you need in the magicka side is a lot of magicka recovery, lots of it.

My DK Dunmer Tank currently have 35020 health with 25 attribute points into it, stamina is at 19643 with 39 attribute points into and lastly magicka is at 13266 with 0 points into it.

I use 7 tri glyphs on all my armor and 1 stamina glyph on my shields. I use Blue Max HP+Magicka recovery food, and again I am a Dunmer. These attributes are perfectly fine.

With Sword and Shield tanking you want more Stamina than magicka so that the healers Shards and Orbs gives back stamina when you use their synergy.

ok

at looking through the various tank/tank trees i'm liking the ice tree from Warden (seen the ice protection, and found it to be pretty) and also heard ice staff heavy attack is a taunt.

i was thinking ice staff/ ice line maybe rolling alter. (though rp wise for personal flavor she gonna be a falmer.. personal reason to join ebonhart pact)

I would not recommend Ice Staff tanking, even for a Warden. It gives far less bonuses and has really no upside other than the range, but you can get that from just having the undaunted taunt, which is better in every way. Its doable but it is a lot harder and as said gives few bonuses.

Wardens or Sorcs would be the best to use for Ice Staff Tanking though if you really want to, the big issues is that you will need to find a way to gain magicka without magicka recovery since Ice Staff blocking turns off magicka recovery and blocking with Ice Staff also costs magicka.

• Azuramoonstar
    Azuramoonstar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't put attributes in Max magicka, you won't need it. Get your Max stamina to about 20k and then the rest you can put into Health. What you need in the magicka side is a lot of magicka recovery, lots of it.

My DK Dunmer Tank currently have 35020 health with 25 attribute points into it, stamina is at 19643 with 39 attribute points into and lastly magicka is at 13266 with 0 points into it.

I use 7 tri glyphs on all my armor and 1 stamina glyph on my shields. I use Blue Max HP+Magicka recovery food, and again I am a Dunmer. These attributes are perfectly fine.

With Sword and Shield tanking you want more Stamina than magicka so that the healers Shards and Orbs gives back stamina when you use their synergy.

ok

I would not recommend Ice Staff tanking, even for a Warden. It gives far less bonuses and has really no upside other than the range, but you can get that from just having the undaunted taunt, which is better in every way. Its doable but it is a lot harder and as said gives few bonuses.

Wardens or Sorcs would be the best to use for Ice Staff Tanking though if you really want to, the big issues is that you will need to find a way to gain magicka without magicka recovery since Ice Staff blocking turns off magicka recovery and blocking with Ice Staff also costs magicka.

thanks for the opinion, i'm still plan on using ice staff, as well as mix hp and magika, rolling a alter.

more or less asking what armor type use. heavy or light.

my b/f who plays warden on his test character, asked the zone and people said heavy armor.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks for the opinion, i'm still plan on using ice staff, as well as mix hp and magika, rolling a alter.

more or less asking what armor type use. heavy or light.

my b/f who plays warden on his test character, asked the zone and people said heavy armor.

Correct, the vast majority of tanks use at least one set of heavy armor.

There are some decent craftable sets for heavy armor magicka tanks ... such as Torug's or Shacklebreaker. Or Tava's for the ult regen.
  • Azuramoonstar
    Azuramoonstar
    ✭✭✭✭
    hey guys just an update.

So i made an Altmer (rp as a falmer for person reason my alter is in ebonhart pack and has ice power)
    who is an Ice warden who uses an ice staff. I'm having a blast playing.

I'm not having too much trouble tanking for my b/f so far, and he is a stem night blade dual dagger dunmer.

Thanks for the replies I'm having fun playing with my character :)