The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

To All: Why do you love The Elder Scrolls?

EttinTheBreton
EttinTheBreton
✭✭✭
Why do you love The Elder Scrolls? Any reason is a good reason, and I want to hear from everyone :)

Story time! High school was my first encounter with TES IV: Oblivion on PS3 and shortly after on PC. My first memory was walking through the Shivering Isles with a sword, my two best friends behind me telling me how in the world I was supposed to play, and I started yelling, "UGH! WHAT IS THIS?!" as I'm swinging my sword back and forth at one of the Shivering Isle, woodsy-looking creatures (this is still a joke between us today, 8 years later!). Every day I would look forward to telling those two friends at school about my adventures of the previous night. Glitches and ridiculous dialogue were the best.

ESO is especially great for me because TES is my favorite fictional universe, and years ago I loved playing MMOs like Runescape and Fiesta with my brothers. So tell me,

Why do YOU love The Elder Scrolls?
I stream ESO sometimes! Check my channel for this week's schedule: twitch.tv/EttinTheBreton
  • jlboozer
    jlboozer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because I've always liked the world and lore of the Elder Scrolls. Its a fun place to be, and the community seems alot more mature than other games I've played...
  • Blacksmoke
    Blacksmoke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The stories and how deep the lore gets is deffinitly my reason. Everything has a history and for everything there is a reason. Even things we will never encounter or things that happend long ago are explained and branch out in other stories so simple answer.. the lore
    Champion point: 645
    Characters
    Ganlian Stormian - AD - Dungeon healer - Templar - Crafter
    Ondaril Stormian - AD - Trail DPS - Sorcerer
    Shagrod gro-Bolmog - AD - PVP - Dragonknight
  • BlazingDynamo
    BlazingDynamo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lore is fun to dive into and I've always really enjoyed the questing. ESO brings it together in a nice MMO way. Like playing with friends and having group content.
  • Farscape76
    Farscape76
    ✭✭✭
    I have loved this universe since I first played Morrowind on the original XBox. I played the heck out of that game as well as Oblivion and even more so with Skyrim.

I tried ESO because of those games. I stay because just like each of those games, flaws and all, it is an awesome game.
    Edited by Farscape76 on August 11, 2017 4:56PM
    CP 1200+ Xbox - NA - Ebonheart Pact
    Characters
    Dargo Crichton - VR16/lvl 50 StamDK - Stormproof
    Talon Crichton - lvl 50 Stamsorc
    Kara Crichton - lvl 50 StamDK
    Erza Crichton - lvl 50 MagDK
  • Demion
    Demion
    ✭✭✭
    Well ESO wins because of TES lore side of things, loved it since Morrowind when I first came in contact with the game, ESO however don't get high remarks because its a great MMO, it gets high remarks because it tries to keep the lore around...
    @darksenechal - EU PC - Demion Samenel - Templar "The Reluctant Hero of Tamriel"
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I blame my friend

He had an Xbox 360 and Oblivion at the time,was still using my PS, One day I went up to his and he was playing this game where you would travel this world and fight monsters etc after about 2 weeks just watching him I ended up getting my own 360 and a copy and well they say the rest is history

My first ever Elder Scrolls character was an Argonian called Traxis, I wish I still had the save files to go back and see how he was doing

I must be the only person not to have played the earlier ES games before Oblivion, I need to go back and play MW one day
  • CMFan1966
    CMFan1966
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've only really played Skyrim and ESO with a dash of Oblivion thrown in. For me, it's more than the beauty and the lore, although the beauty and lore are a big part of it.

I have a lot of responsibility in my life right now and ESO helps me take out my frustrations in a way that doesn't hurt anyone around me. I have a temper and in these games I get to kill the heck out of people and things with no real life consequences. It's like therapy or something.

I also like stories. Getting caught up in a story during questing makes it more enjoyable...even if I've heard the story a dozen times before. A really good story can never be told too many times.
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I love a lot of deep lores and universes, but this is by far the best. Very gritty and real somehow.
    The races, pantheons, and history is just so rich and mysterious and I could feel it without knowing it when I first played an ES title.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy the pedestrian pace of the game...

used to really be in to shooters a bunch, but, these days they just feel like they move too fast...

I can pretty much kill stuff at my leisure in eso...

plus, the different environments look amazing...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • MUSTACHMAN654
    MUSTACHMAN654
    ✭✭
    Well, since I was a child I always loved fantasy, and since Skyrim, the Elder Scrolls series was the one for me. I love the stories, the races, the and the personalities of NPCs. Even the land of Tamriel puts a smile on my face.
  • Riptide
    Riptide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Memories are the strongest reason. Oh I've played the ES games through the years,while imperfect the skill system and the way you must make decisions, the way that healers must be dynamic in groups, and a long list of mechanics I just dig.

But the strongest reason is that I was an early tester. I was among the first people to walk up to Elden Root and see it towering above me, alone. To explore it and the surrounding area for the first time.

I've beta tested a LOT of games, and a few still put a smile on my face. ESO did, many times - from an exploration standpoint. So many cool vistas and things to discover.

Of course the internet has removed the mystery and much ofmthe excitement in exploration and discovery, and I've trapsed all over Tamriel and back again multiple times now.

But I still smile regularly at Elden Root and at a large list of places that I recall seeing for the first time, when only a few folks outside the developers had. And when you fought hard to find it and get there. And when you knew that this was going to be one of the MMOs to succeed, because wow, look at that.

Beta tested a lot of the big names that made it and a lot of coulda woulda shouldas. All dev teams do frustrating things, some can't be overcome and they die. But this one I knew had legs, and I'm glad still does.

TLDR - the scenery :)

Edited by Riptide on August 11, 2017 5:24PM
    Esse quam videri.
  • qsnoopyjr
    qsnoopyjr
    ✭✭✭✭
    they keep the disappearance of the dwarves a mystery to me, so I told myself im gonna keep playing until they finally reveal the disappearance of the dwarves
  • EttinTheBreton
    EttinTheBreton
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, thank you ALL for the wonderful responses :) they definitely put a smile on my face, for sure. I've read them all, and I agree with many of you.
    • The lore for TES is incredibly expansive. To think I've played these games for over 8 years, and I've barely scratched the surface of the lore, wow! EDIT: @qsnoopyjr OMG YES THE DWARVES! How can TES be the only fantasy game to not include the dwarves xD although I hear there is one in the original Morrowind game...
    • The community is very nice here I think. I consider many of my guild members my friends now.
    • @JamieAubrey I blame my friend too! I already had a PS3 at the time, but I remember immediately borrowing my Mom's credit card (paying her in cash, ofc), and ordering my Game of the Year edition of Oblivion straight from Bethesda's main site.
    • Each of the zones in ESO is so beautiful, I have over 200 hours on my main character, and there are still areas I haven't explored yet. @Riptide that was a great story about beta testing and seeing Elden Root first!
    • @CMFan1966 I can relate! I'm just starting to get into PvP now, and I'm looking forward to challenging myself to be competitive.
    • But on the other hand, @geonsocal the option to play at a pedestrian pace, especially when completing quests, is something I appreciate too.
    • Memories. @Riptide you are right, over the years I have so many memories with these games that I love to share with my close friends. TES games are so huge that you can always make new memories too.

Happy Friday everybody ;)
    Edited by EttinTheBreton on August 11, 2017 5:38PM
    I stream ESO sometimes! Check my channel for this week's schedule: twitch.tv/EttinTheBreton
  • OC_Justice
    OC_Justice
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy playing the game. No love affair at all.
  • Hanzus
    Hanzus
    ✭✭✭
    My wife and I started the Elder Scrolls series with Skyrim, wow, I loved that game. We always thought it would be awesome to have a game like that in an MMO, few years later ESO came and we loved it!!(open beta) . It sure isn't Skyrim online, but thats really for the better, ESO has its own flavor but still defiantly Elder Scrolls.

For me the game play is great, the graphics are 100000x's better then WOW, the main AND side stories are truly fantastic. The lore totally rocks, you can play the game totally just as you wish, want to explore, do it, want to group or quest, perhaps role play, DO IT! If I get bored with one area, I can just go revisit another, or do some PVP.

There are so many reasons I love this game I just cant name them all, but for the time being its my go to game :)B)
    "Walk always in the light, or we will drag you to it."
    -Vigilant of Stendarr

Nords, the true sons of Skyrim!
    PC NA
  • rhapsodious
    rhapsodious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the lore and the universe, and how many stories there are of people just trying to get by in a, quite frankly, frightening world. There's a colorful cast of characters even if not many are individually memorable - the story of the Gray Fox in Oblivion was one of my favorite questlines, and there's so many little vignettes you only find by reading notes or going out of the way like the two skeletons where one's stuck in a bear trap in Winterhold, or the dog waiting at his master's grave in the Alik'r.

The games are beautiful - or at least the landscapes are - and I love the feeling of exploring and finding a location I passed by the last 5 times I was in the area.

Even if I start to get a headache thinking about the lore at times, it's so expansive and yet open to interpretation. Each culture has a rich and vibrant history and even if some are represented more than others, there's a special level of focus there rather than handwaving.

Also lizard people.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @EttinTheBreton ...i appreciate your light :)

94966149f710a0cf1ac0afaa5ed7d336--sunny-quotes-sunshine-quotes.jpg
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • ParaNostram
    ParaNostram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To be quite honest, as a trans woman I love the cannon existence of trans, intersex, and gay characters. It's nice to see a world where people like me exist ya know?
    "Your mistake is you begged for your life, not for mercy. I will show you there are many fates worse than death."

Para Nostram
    Bosmer Sorceress
    Witch of Evermore

"Death is a privilege that can be denied by it's learned scholars."
    Order of the Black Worm
  • Shardan4968
    Shardan4968
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mostly for lore. For long time I didn't know which fantasy world is my favourite. I loved Might&Magic, but only before explosion of the island from HoM&M3 and M&MVIII. Also for very short time I was into some Lurd of teh Reigns. But nothing interested me as much as TES lore. All those mysteries, epic stories and bunches of nerds discussing about dwemers is just what I need in my life. Of course I also love gameplay, epic battles with bugs (I love you Oblivion) and freedom.

I truly understood this, when I finished Skyrim. I decided to finally do main quest from Morrowind, because years ago I was just wandering throughout Vvanderfell without purpouse. During second DLC I had my first dream about playing ESO, but also I wanted to do Oblivion (unfinished years ago too) and I wasn't sure If ESO is worth it. So when I finally done main quest and DLCs in Oblivion. I decided to give ESO a try, when they were giving it for free for limited time. Finally TES game which won't end in next 10 years (I hope). And ESO have all things I loved in TES games, such as epic and immersive quests, Argonians and finally lore, which is broken like in every TES game.
    PC/EU
  • PlautisCarvain
    PlautisCarvain
    ✭✭✭✭
    All the lore and history, landscapes... elder scrolls always been and will always be my bae
  • wesly.backersb16_ESO
    Because I love you all!
  • menedhyn
    menedhyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love a good story, and The Elder Scrolls feels to me like a collection of them. Whether through the in-game books and tomes, the myriad of NPCs and their dialogue, the lost settlements, ancient ruins now weathered and forgotten, even the scars on the landscape from battles once fought... lots of tales to be told, no matter where you look.
    'Pure rains make sweet rivers'
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where else can I be Khajiit . No where .
  • EttinTheBreton
    EttinTheBreton
    ✭✭✭
    Where else can I be Khajiit . No where .

@Rohamad_Ali This made me smile :)

@menedhyn Yes! Going off that, I feel like telling my friends about my adventures in TES games has made me a better storyteller too.

@wesly.backersb16_ESO <3

@PlautisCarvain @Shardan4968 The lore is so wonderful :) I also love Oblivion for its bugs.

@ParaNostram Yes! I agree so much :)

I love the lore and the universe, and how many stories there are of people just trying to get by in a, quite frankly, frightening world. There's a colorful cast of characters even if not many are individually memorable - the story of the Gray Fox in Oblivion was one of my favorite questlines, and there's so many little vignettes you only find by reading notes or going out of the way like the two skeletons where one's stuck in a bear trap in Winterhold, or the dog waiting at his master's grave in the Alik'r. [...]
    @rhapsodious Me too, and I like your comment about everyone just trying to get by. I also love how everyone that I talk to seems to have their own favorite questlines within each game. One of the quests I've been thinking about from Oblivion lately was the one about a painting. Is there a quest where you go inside the world of a painting, or am I remembering that wrong?

@Hanzus Thanks for sharing :) I'm so happy that Skyrim brought in so many new people, and I wish I had a partner to play ESO with!

@OC_Justice That is completely fair, thanks for chiming in :)
  • O_LYKOS
    O_LYKOS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Endless adventure. Endless customisation of my characters. eso fashion! I love customizing my characters with so many craftable styles, costumes, etc. I love being apart of a group to conquer the enemy. And finally, ive made some amazing friends playing.
    PC NA - GreggsSausageRoll
    Xbox NA - CinnamonRoll266
  • Loralai_907
    Loralai_907
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once upon a time, my ex introduced me to both Oblivion and Morrowind, at different times, selling both before I got to play them much, which was rude and terrible of him since I wanted to play both much more. After the break up, once I was officially on my own with the childrens, the first thing I did was buy myself a PS3 and Skyrim. I played Skyrim until ESO came out, joined the Beta and have been playing ESO ever since. What I love is how easy it is for me to fall into the world, how the quests grab me and pull me in. I can easily lose track of time and there are endless things to do. Its like reading a favorite book, where you are up all night because you just can't put it down. I wish more people I knew irl actually played ESO as much as I do lol, thats the only thing missing for me.
    PC-NA - formerly, mommadani907Guild: Weeping Angels - Co-GMTwitter: @ Loralai_907 several Alt accounts....CP 1700+
    Active characters:Fauna Rosewood ( Bosmer Stam DK - Master Crafter/AD)///Loralai Darknova (Drunken Zombie Bosmer Stam Sorc - PvP/AD)Lilith Darknova ( Dunmer Mag DK - Master Crafter - PvP/AD)///and roughly 1billion alts
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My reasons:

1. Lore
    2. Mods
    3. Being able to create your own story for your own character and see it come to life piece by piece in the world as you play (mods help with that tremendously.)
    4. Sight seeing/scenery/screenshot taking :)
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
  • HatchetHaro
    HatchetHaro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Argonians.

F*** yeah lizards!
    Best Argonian NA and I will fight anyone for it

17 Argonians

6x IR, 6x GH, 7x TTT, 4x GS, 4x DB, 1x PB, 3x SBS, 1x Unchained
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cat People.

I could actually go long winded that's more than just "Cat People", but it's 1am and I'm just doing some pre-bed browsing.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Darkhorse1975
    Darkhorse1975
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I totally remember being entirely immersed into E.T. and Indiana Jones on Atari 2600. The Elder Scrolls is that but on crack! ;)
    Master Craftsman!