The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

There is no point to housing

Danny_UK
Danny_UK
✭✭✭
I've never really bothered with the housing part of the game but I decided to have a look at it today and do the free quest to see what it's all about. I was about to get into buying a house until I found out you can't store any items. I don't see any point in this right now, if you buy draws or shelves you expect to put things in or on it, really bad idea to release this into the game.

I'm not sure if they are going to add more to it but to leave it as it is would be stupid, they have spent all this time on housing when they could have done something more useful within the game itself. They seem very slow on updates and adding content, I wouldn't hold my breath on them adding much more to housing to be honest, it was a let down.
  • lasertooth
    lasertooth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dying your armor a different color serves no purpose either. It does not buff your armor, it does not add pockets to increase your storage, and it does not help you stealth away quicker; all it does is make you look pretty.

And yet all across the vast land of tamriel players can be seen flocking around dye stations.

This is an MMO. Looking good and having nice useless things is part of the game. If you don't look good and/or have nice useless things, like mudballs and sparkling pretty armor, then you're prolly doing it wrong. :D
    Lasertooth
    GM of ESO Grand Designs, Grand Designs Too, and Grand Designs Trinity
    Xbox/NA
  • Danny_UK
    Danny_UK
    ✭✭✭
    Ah well the dying of your armour is different though, you are actually going everywhere and everyone sees you, you will naturally want to change colours.

Housing is not worth it right now, it would be like changing colours on the walls, pointless because not many will see it.

I get the whole MMO thing but they could have done alot more for housing before they release it to be honest. I don't know if they are doing more with it but right now I'm not a fan of it. If things change in the future I might come back to it but they are so slow on releasing things I wouldn't bank on it.
  • Akunin
    Akunin
    Trophy display! I like mine for quiet time. Nothing more relaxing than the crackling of the torches and the creak of the torture wheel is all music to my ears.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danny_UK wrote: »
    Ah well the dying of your armour is different though, you are actually going everywhere and everyone sees you, you will naturally want to change colours.

Housing is not worth it right now, it would be like changing colours on the walls, pointless because not many will see it.

I get the whole MMO thing but they could have done alot more for housing before they release it to be honest. I don't know if they are doing more with it but right now I'm not a fan of it. If things change in the future I might come back to it but they are so slow on releasing things I wouldn't bank on it.

Same thing

If there was no point in housing there wouldn't be this subforum, target dummies and conveniant crafting stations... no constant cries for more housing space and why? After all it's all cosmetic. You say dyes are not the same thing and you like to show off but I lonely won't care what you dye on your armor. I don't care if people like it dislike how I decorate my house or my character's looks as I do it for me. If someone complementa my house or looks that's a bonus
  • BrianDavion
    BrianDavion
    ✭✭✭✭
    if you need a mechanical advantage to bother with something, you are not part of the demographic housing is aimed at.
  • Danny_UK
    Danny_UK
    ✭✭✭
    aliyavana wrote: »

Same thing

If there was no point in housing there wouldn't be this subforum, target dummies and conveniant crafting stations... no constant cries for more housing space and why? After all it's all cosmetic. You say dyes are not the same thing and you like to show off but I lonely won't care what you dye on your armor. I don't care if people like it dislike how I decorate my house or my character's looks as I do it for me. If someone complementa my house or looks that's a bonus

Well there has to be this section if housing is in the game, that is just common sense. There is no constant cries for housing space? I don't mind the space, they are great, it's the things you can do within it I have the problem with.

If you have a home you expect to be able to store items within it, this is also common sense, hard to see why they left it out in the first place.

I didn't say I like to show off with dyes, I just said everyone sees different colours on armour, it is nice to have a change every so often. You obviously enjoy the design aspect of housing for your own enjoyment, nothing wrong with that at all and appreciate your view but it is lacking in the housing part of the game.
  • Avidspark
    Avidspark
    ✭✭✭✭
    When your guild puts every crafting station in the game into one convenient place, yes, there is a reason for housing...

...many thanks to ITU for this ;)
    'Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.'
    T. Pratchett, 1948-2015 RIP, you are missed
  • Bladerunner1
    Bladerunner1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Housing is also a big gain for roleplayers, especially since the add-on to port to a friend's secondary home came out.

So far it's not a mechanical thing, just a social tool and artistic outlet with the exception of training dummies and crafting stations. We've heard that farming mats in a homestead could become a feature. Everyone wants more out of housing but there hasn't been much else brought up about it by ZOS.
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not worthless to me:

1. Place for friends and I to chill w/o the general idiotry spamming spells/dueling/etc
    2. Only place to get DPS training dummies
    3. Several of my friends have specialized crafting stations and mundus stones I can directly port too, and have all in one place.
    4. A place in the game world that I enjoy, that I can customize and call my own

Sure, storage would be nice, but the lack of it does not make it worthless to me.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure there is..

Time sink
    Gold sink

Crown store promotions and crown / RL cash sink to promote the game.
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Correction: Housing is not worth it/is pointless to you. You are not the entirety of the player base, and clearly it's worth it for a lot of people.
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

GL of Hearthlight - a NA/PC Housing guild. PM for details/invite!

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • lasertooth
    lasertooth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....There is no constant cries for housing space?

Far and wide across the vast land of Tamriel echoes the desolate wails of players, joining forces and holding hands, crying about lack of furniture slots, begging and hoping that someone at zos will care enough to give us even a teeny weensy response or some other form of acknowledgement. Can you not hear it?

The sound is deafening.
    Lasertooth
    GM of ESO Grand Designs, Grand Designs Too, and Grand Designs Trinity
    Xbox/NA
  • Vyle_Byte
    Vyle_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe worthless to some but not to all. Could it be better, yes, ofc. Are there things that should have been included, maybe so. That doesnt make it worthless, makes it a work in progress.

I very much enjoyed the month I spent finding schematics and decorating one of my homes. It was at a time when things were slow for me in other aspects of the game and I found it very relaxing and fun. I have seen some amazing homes done by others, it enables some creativity, which is never a bad thing.

I would agree that a bit more needs to go into housing, for sure. But Id definitely not agree that its worthless. Not to all.

Also, idk what you are talking about they are slow to release updates and content, guessing you weren't here the first couple of years? Cause this 4 updates a year is 3x better than it was. New content coming every quarter, that's not slow.
    Member of the Old Guard
    Mother of the Byte Family
    Vyle Byte||Ivana Byte||Vyible Byte||Hakate Vampler Former EMPRESS BWB||Haan Zolo {Retired} (He swung first)||Lunari ||Wardyn Chalyk Tahno||Dirti Dianah||Bonnie||
    Viva la Byte
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    if you need a mechanical advantage to bother with something, you are not part of the demographic housing is aimed at.

This! My last 2 playthroughs of Skyrim were nothing but housing mods. I have a lot of houses, and they ARE useful as wayshrines to remote areas (sometimes). Mostly I just like decorating them. I do wish we could set more levels of permissions, so people could visit ANY of my homes, not just the 1 marked primary.

Also, I like having crafting stations in my home. I do a lot of farming so I can decon and refine in peace, not in the busy city center. Same with sorting my bank, selling off random stuff, etc. Would be nice if bankers/merchants had extended features when installed in your home.

• SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worth it to me because:
    1) Free wayshrine, which is particularly useful when you have a new character and he doesn't have access to all of Tamriel yet.
    2) I store my crafting stations there, and
    3) Place to store my trophies I got from dungeons.

Plus, it's fun decorating. Now, I absolutely think housing needs more functionality than just this. For one, it would be great to have storage chests in there, and useable weapon racks. I'd also like to have gardening some day where you can grow your own alchemy plants.

They've said they're planning on adding more functionality to housing, so it'll get better.
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    Worth it to me because:
    1) Free wayshrine, which is particularly useful when you have a new character and he doesn't have access to all of Tamriel yet.
    2) I store my crafting stations there, and
    3) Place to store my trophies I got from dungeons.

Plus, it's fun decorating. Now, I absolutely think housing needs more functionality than just this. For one, it would be great to have storage chests in there, and useable weapon racks. I'd also like to have gardening some day where you can grow your own alchemy plants.

They've said they're planning on adding more functionality to housing, so it'll get better.

Housing nodes would be great as long as they are not for 4K crowns like mundus stones >.< ugh
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As convenient as it'd be to me, I hope they don't include housing nodes - WoW tried it and it completely crashed the economy.
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

GL of Hearthlight - a NA/PC Housing guild. PM for details/invite!

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    "something has no point for me because xyz are what matter to me, so it has no point for anyone because everyone else only cares about xyz also" ?
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never really bothered with the housing part of the game but I decided to have a look at it today and do the free quest to see what it's all about. I was about to get into buying a house until I found out you can't store any items. I don't see any point in this right now, if you buy draws or shelves you expect to put things in or on it, really bad idea to release this into the game.

I'm not sure if they are going to add more to it but to leave it as it is would be stupid, they have spent all this time on housing when they could have done something more useful within the game itself. They seem very slow on updates and adding content, I wouldn't hold my breath on them adding much more to housing to be honest, it was a let down.

This entire post is an opinion. You should have stated that housing was not worth it to you.
    1. People role play, this is an important part of their experience.
    2. People like to have a place to chill, away from the noise of the game.
    3. Some people like to exercise their creativity, find some posts in here there are many amazing creations.
    4. Instanced dueling.
    5. Free way shrine
    6. Guild halls with crafting stations and Mundas stones.
    7. Removing gold from the economy.
    8. A place to show off your achievments, dungeon busts and other item locked behind achievements.
    9. A general break from the main game, nothing like a little distraction every once in a while.
    10. Taget dummies to practice your rotations.

So it's not useless, you just haven't found a use for it. I can do master writs in one place, then travel to snug pod without spending 1 gold piece. Other home I have I use as wayshrines. Housing is no different than any other part of the game, some people enjoy it and have been creative enough to find uses.
  • raj72616a
    raj72616a
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    housing is the ultimate end game
    it requires many of the hardest achievements, from both pve and pvp, requires lots of gold, lots of mats, lots of grinding to complete a house
  • OmniDo
    OmniDo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    raj72616a wrote: »
    housing is the ultimate end game
    it requires many of the hardest achievements, from both pve and pvp, requires lots of gold, lots of mats, lots of grinding to complete a house
    Unless you have crowns. ;)
    I acquired almost all my houses with Crowns, and purchased them fully furnished, though I did heavily modify their furnishings after the fact. :wink:
  • RANKK7
    RANKK7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same thought as me at start: no storage, no point.

Then I brought a small one and had fun to decorate, UNTIL the awful discovery of item slots is so insufficient (even for some small-medium houses! Go figures for large ones or manors!!).

@ZOS, increase item slots number or there will be no point FOR REAL in housing! For any kind of player, even the ones who tolerate the lack of storage! It's no fun!

To OP, I don't even feel to suggest you to buy one house to decorate and have fun, because once you'll discover how sad the items limit is, all the fun will end.

To anyone who is uncertain, DO NOT BUY any house (this is my suggestion) until they will increase the slots number, save your money, they didn't even care to provide an answer yet on this ISSUE.
    lll
    "I really don't know who the **** came off with this change. Definitely somebody who does not play the game, that's for sure".
    lll
  • Palidon
    Palidon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me without storage, housing is useless.
  • ShadowHvo
    ShadowHvo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Housing is worth it, I love it.
    Nighren - The Shadow Striker
    Leader of Bloodlines
    -- EU --

Want to roleplay in elder scrolls online? Check out eso-rp.com
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ShadowHvo wrote: »
    Housing is worth it, I love it.

But it would be so much better with a higher item cap.
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Opinions are like a--holes, everyone has them...
    I have 5 fully furnished houses and love doing them. I know many others that do
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ''Call me a killjoy but I think that because this is not to my taste, no one else should be able to enjoy it.''

-Marge Simpson
    Edited by Ankael07 on August 7, 2017 10:11AM
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • malchior
    malchior
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pointless? Tell that to ZOS as they are constantly coming up with housing items, not so pointless after all. It's a cashcow.
  • OmniDo
    OmniDo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Opinions are like a--holes, everyone has them...
    I have 5 fully furnished houses and love doing them. I know many others that do
    Agreed.
    I find it strangely therapeutic, but it would be nice if you could allow access to any or all of your homes when offline.
  • Drakkdjinn
    Drakkdjinn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The point of housing is to get ppl to spend crown$ on things to distract players from the poor state of the rest of the game. Working as intended