The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Shields Cannot be critically hit

Nelson_Rebel
Nelson_Rebel
✭✭✭✭✭
Reporting this as I'm unsure if this is a bug or a powerful advantageous feature for shield stacking.

Shields cannot be critically hit. Please amend all shields so that they don't make everyone 100% Immune to critical damage
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Working as intended, no sarcasm.
    Edited by paulsimonps on July 29, 2017 9:04PM
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This post has been removed.

Technically, they can be critically hit, just the crit does only normal damage (0% bonus crit damage). The difference is important because some effects trigger only when you critically hit - so they can trigger when hitting a shield.
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on August 3, 2017 2:15AM
  • Nelson_Rebel
    Nelson_Rebel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »

Technically, they can be critically hit, just the crit does only normal damage (0% bonus crit damage). The difference is important because some effects trigger only when you critically hit - so they can trigger when hitting a shield.

So it's still 0% crit damage

I.E.- They still do not take any of the intended critical damage
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on August 3, 2017 2:16AM
  • Nelson_Rebel
    Nelson_Rebel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Have the developers actually said this was intended?
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Shields have worked like this since the game was released. While i can not provide you with a developer quote stating this is intended behavior, the chance such an important feature would go unnoticed by devs for over 3 years borders on nonexistent.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huh?? Not a bug - intended, exactly as it should be. Wards have zero resistance and don't crit.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Nelson_Rebel
    Nelson_Rebel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    Huh?? Not a bug - intended, exactly as it should be. Wards have zero resistance and don't crit.

The problem lies that with current game mechanics. Those shields are twice as effective as Heavy armor is.

Shields should not make a player more defensive than a fully specced out heavy armor which has caped Defenses. Heavy armor Can be affected by penetration (shields also are NOT affected by penetration) and Shields also cannot be affected by critial hits of any kind. Heavy armor IS
    Edited by Nelson_Rebel on July 29, 2017 10:07PM
  • Nelson_Rebel
    Nelson_Rebel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »

Shields have worked like this since the game was released. While i can not provide you with a developer quote stating this is intended behavior, the chance such an important feature would go unnoticed by devs for over 3 years borders on nonexistent.

Well this certainly needs to be looked into again.

Shields are grossly, Obscenly over performing
  • Zander98
    Zander98
    ✭✭✭
    They also can't crit on cast.
    I would be fine with shields taking crier damage if they also had a chance to crit on the size of the shield cast.
    They also aren't effected by most mitigation sources with notable exceptions.....(undeath, major/minor protection, nerd racial)
    If you are having trouble with shields my best advice...instead of getting 5 shield breaker or the like...is load any shield sticker with DoTs.
    The one change they made when they nerfed shields that is rarely mentioned but did more for balance than anything else was having DoTs carry over to newly cast shields. Keep DoTs on them and it keeps the pressure on.
    Less duration? Hardly noticed it. Shieldbreaker? Niche and usually avoidable.
    Loaded up with DoTs though my shield drops faster than I can cast it.
    Zane Altise- The Drunken Sorc

"The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head"-Pratchett
  • Zander98
    Zander98
    ✭✭✭
    Also....something most players don't know....
    Bleed damage goes right through shields. Ignores them as though they aren't there.
    Zane Altise- The Drunken Sorc

"The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head"-Pratchett
  • Nelson_Rebel
    Nelson_Rebel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zander98 wrote: »
    They also can't crit on cast.
    I would be fine with shields taking crier damage if they also had a chance to crit on the size of the shield cast.
    They also aren't effected by most mitigation sources with notable exceptions.....(undeath, major/minor protection, nerd racial)
    If you are having trouble with shields my best advice...instead of getting 5 shield breaker or the like...is load any shield sticker with DoTs.
    The one change they made when they nerfed shields that is rarely mentioned but did more for balance than anything else was having DoTs carry over to newly cast shields. Keep DoTs on them and it keeps the pressure on.
    Less duration? Hardly noticed it. Shieldbreaker? Niche and usually avoidable.
    Loaded up with DoTs though my shield drops faster than I can cast it.

The only problem with this is that shields scale with max magic. Also sharpened trait also does NOT affect them. Dots are not an effective means of damage on PvP players as their damage as of now is weak (in pvp) and can easily just all be cleansed.

In summary

•List of thing that do not affect shields:
    Critical Damage
    Sharpened trait
    Caps

•List of Things that do not affect all other forms of defense

-Oh wait, everything else is affected by the three things above and everything else in-game

Why have only magicka shields have a special set of rules that ignore damage with no consequences? See what I mean? Having favortism toward a particular playstyle that allows maximum defensive capabilities while NOT having to sacrifice any damage in order to gain that defense (shields scaling to max magic) is not healthy. Especially after the morrowind update reducing the defense of everyones base resistances (with CP at least ) subsequently enhanced even more the effectiveness of shields and shield stacking
    Edited by Nelson_Rebel on July 29, 2017 11:44PM
  • Nelson_Rebel
    Nelson_Rebel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
    @ZOS_KaiSchober
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler

Can anyone give a definitive answer if shields being Un critable is indeed Intended behavior?
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be fine with you being able to crit my shield if my shield was also able to crit ;)
  • Nelson_Rebel
    Nelson_Rebel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magdalina wrote: »
    I'd be fine with you being able to crit my shield if my shield was also able to crit ;)

No other form of defense has any chance to crit, so why should yours?

Everyone else is affected by crits, penetration (sharpened trait AND the cp passive) and shield can stack and Scale to max magic so that's a huge advantage.

There is ZERO trade off for shield stacking

If someone wears heavy armor, they are substantially less effective in damage, IF someone wears Medium armor and Runs shuffle, guess what it's Only a 15% CHANCE of avoiding a skill. And sure they can roll dodge. But there a Dozen UNDODGEABLE skills. Not only that but all AOE's are, You guessed it, UNDODGEABLE. Eye of the storm and Flame being the notorious ones

But shields? All you gotta do is *click* Boom. 100% Immunity is to crit damage, a shield stack with more defense than a fully specced out tank, and your completely specced out for damage with no consequences or trade-offs like everyone else is forced to.

This trash needs adjusting
    Edited by Nelson_Rebel on July 30, 2017 3:23PM
  • AdicusDio
    AdicusDio
    ✭✭✭
    -I agree. Shields are a little too much. As stated before in other posts, you see guys running around terrain rocks negating almost all damage and any minute damage they take, they just regen out of it. When 10-15 guys running in a tight group on crown with builds like that, it's pointless. They aren't better players, it's an abused play style.
  • Nelson_Rebel
    Nelson_Rebel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AdicusDio wrote: »
    -I agree. Shields are a little too much. As stated before in other posts, you see guys running around terrain rocks negating almost all damage and any minute damage they take, they just regen out of it. When 10-15 guys running in a tight group on crown with builds like that, it's pointless. They aren't better players, it's an abused play style.

Exactly

@ZOS_GaryA
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry @Nelson_Rebel I don't see it that sharpened Doesn't work' on wards. It's just not needed as they have zero resistance, I.e. They get hit for the full load.

If I'm honest Sorc's - good, mediocre or bad players are the easiest to kill in PvP. Full stop. Their counters are glaringly obvious. And it's those counters that wreck the use of wards and shows their huge weaknesses

The only people that moan about Sorc wards are newbies who just want to slay them like they slay all.else (generally running OP Stamina proc meta)

EVERYONE moans about resource changes post Morrowind right? Well you try active defense added on top of that then talk about how much easier Heavy Armour is. The second a Sorc is low on Stamina they are CCed even fully stacked dead in 6 seconds. The second a Sorc is out of Magika the same.

If you are attack the Sorcs wards straight on then yea they are tough, but that's like using your sharpest tool as a hammer against granite. Adapt the tactics and you will find sorcs are a soft touch.

Edited by Beardimus on July 30, 2017 9:04PM
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Alts - - for the Lolz

Xbox One | NA | EP
  • Nelson_Rebel
    Nelson_Rebel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gothren wrote: »
    AdicusDio wrote: »

Exactly

@ZOS_GaryA

you mean the threads where people like you consistently hop from one thread to another to complain and don't know what you are talking about. How about you upload a video of a few fights of you battling a couple different sorcs so I can see first hand how bad of a player you really are.

Critcal hits would only add an extra 3k (every other hit or so) that's not class breaking.

It would just means sorcs insurmountable shields would actually be able to be broken through instead of beating against a wall hoping you CC a sorc that hopefully doesn't run immovable pots, in which case there is no chance of winning

But yes I'll do a quick upload of some different sorcs friends I have and explain why.

They won't bias the results, As I'm honestly trying to do this for the health of the game long run
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on August 3, 2017 2:18AM
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Magdalina wrote: »

No other form of defense has any chance to crit, so why should yours?

Everyone else is affected by crits, penetration (sharpened trait AND the cp passive) and shield can stack and Scale to max magic so that's a huge advantage.

There is ZERO trade off for shield stacking

If someone wears heavy armor, they are substantially less effective in damage, IF someone wears Medium armor and Runs shuffle, guess what it's Only a 15% CHANCE of avoiding a skill. And sure they can roll dodge. But there a Dozen UNDODGEABLE skills. Not only that but all AOE's are, You guessed it, UNDODGEABLE. Eye of the storm and Flame being the notorious ones

But shields? All you gotta do is *click* Boom. 100% Immunity is to crit damage, a shield stack with more defense than a fully specced out tank, and your completely specced out for damage with no consequences or trade-offs like everyone else is forced to.

This trash needs adjusting

Since when do heals not crit?o.O

You attack a templar who's using 0 shields. He's likely wearing heavy armor and has like 2k impen so your attack that does let's say 8k damage and could do ~12k crit will do maybe...I'm not very good at the long complicated way ESO dmg mitigtion calculation, but given heavy armor+major armor buff and impen you'll probably be lucky to land an 8k(crit). Templar does a BoL that crits for way over 10k(easy, I've crit for 13k in PvP on my trollplar tank) and ta da. Gods forbid templar blocks too, reducing your damage to nigh negligible amount.

You attack a shielding sorc(or any other magicka player since Annulment is available to everyone. Including those healing templars btw who can profit from BOTH heals and shields). Hardened alone is barely 7-8k in no cp without hardcore magicka stacking, in cp maybe 10-11k. Let's say 10k. You do your 8k attack and it lands full 8k(even if sorc happens to block, shields ignore block completely), leaving sorc basically without a shield but at full health. How is this worse? Just because you don't get too see sorc health go down then back up?

Shield stacking is slightly different but my combined shields(~18k in cp) still stack for less than a good templar's BoL crits, mind you. Sure I'm not specced for op max magicka(I don't like pet builds in PvP) but neither are most sorcs out there. Also any magicka class can shield stack on top of heals and other good stuff too, only difference is sorc can use whole 3 shields instead of 2. But it's very pricey and not easy to do so fast enough. I usually just use 2. Admittedly I'm not the best sorc ever, but neither are most other sorcs out there ;)
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it´s weird that you can proc effects from let´s say Wizards Riposte set with a shield. It only applies when you take critical damage. If your shield takes critical damage it procs wizards riposte debuff on the enemy. But at the same time shields can´t be crited........

Not sure if this is a problem with how just this set works but can you guys see how it´s weird??
  • aegisfire1975
    aegisfire1975
    ✭✭✭
    If shields are so over powered, use them.
  • aegisfire1975
    aegisfire1975
    ✭✭✭
    You'll find that shields are great until someone CC's you. Then you're dead.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's intended, and brings balance. Without it wards wouldnt work. Sorcs are too predictably easy to kill as it is

If it was unintended they would have fixed it. They removes Crit from Proc sets easy enough so have the ability to make.that type of change Easily.

I assume you opened a ticket with Customer support or was this thread just another Nerf Sorc whine?

Xbox One | EU | EP
    Alts - - for the Lolz

Xbox One | NA | EP
  • Nelson_Rebel
    Nelson_Rebel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    It's intended, and brings balance. Without it wards wouldnt work. Sorcs are too predictably easy to kill as it is

If it was unintended they would have fixed it. They removes Crit from Proc sets easy enough so have the ability to make.that type of change Easily.

I assume you opened a ticket with Customer support or was this thread just another Nerf Sorc whine?

legitimate ticket
  • ZOS_GregoryV
    Greetings all,

After removing a page worth posts, we must remind everyone to help keep this thread civil and constructive. There is no need to bait others into an unnecessary back and forth.

Thank you for your understanding!
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on August 3, 2017 2:20AM
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post