The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

FoO and you

scipionumatia
scipionumatia
✭✭✭✭
been playing stam dk for a bit now and have always had flames of oblivion on my bar, its a good skill passively increases crit and is a good 5k every 6(?) seconds. however on my bars I'm lacking a CC. Thinking of dropping it for stone fist, fossilize, or tallons. how necessary do you think FoO is when taking into consideration that most people wear full impen and now with sets like impreg armor, crit seems to becoming less and less important in pvp.
Scipio Numantia Red guard Nightblade PvP- AD
Scipio Asiaticus Khajiit Nightblade (CRAFTER/DPS) PvE- EP
Altmer Nightblade PvP- EP
Fueoculto Breton Templar (DPS) PvE- EP
Rasoculto Orc Dragon Knight PvP- EP
Caethus Argonian Templar (HEAL) PvE- EP
Vale Oso Nord Sorc (DPS) PvE- AD
Sir-Galahad-the-pure Altmer Sorc (DPS) PvE- EP
Scipionumantine Imperial Templar PvP- EP
Un-bearable Imperial Warden PVP- EP
Vale Bear Altmer Warden PvP- EP
Baits-All-Zergs Argonian Dragon knight PVP- DC
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's a crap of a skill. You'll do better with fozz/stone giant

Learn this combo: Crit rush + foz + Dizz swing + leap

Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • scipionumatia
    scipionumatia
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Xvorg Fozz= fossilize?
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yup

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • scipionumatia
    scipionumatia
    ✭✭✭✭
    pretty much what ive been doing minus fossilize. how come you like fossilize over stone giant? stone giant gets more range and is cheaper. also they cant block if theyre knocked on their but.
    wouldn't better comb be stone giant+crit rush+ leap+ execute?
  • Toast_STS
    Toast_STS
    ✭✭✭✭
    pretty much what ive been doing minus fossilize. how come you like fossilize over stone giant? stone giant gets more range and is cheaper. also they cant block if theyre knocked on their but.

You can block, dodge and reflect the stun from stone giant but not fossilize.
    Edited by Toast_STS on July 26, 2017 4:13PM
    VR14 DK Leaps-in-keeps
  • IxskullzxI
    IxskullzxI
    ✭✭✭✭

If you can get the stun to land from stone giant it's better imo since it does decent damage and thr stun doesn't end when you damage them like fossilize.. But it can be blocked, whereas fossilize can't, so it's up to you which you prefer.
    #HowDoYouLikeYourDK?
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yup

the idea is to put diz swing in the rotation and start with crit rush. Leap is your execute and a good way to regain resources.

You can even use WB to empower leap

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • scipionumatia
    scipionumatia
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Toast_STS I wasn't aware fossilize was undodeable you earned an insightful for that one.
    @IxskullzxI your on stam dk or mag dk? about what does your stone giant hit for on stam dk? I didn't really think of it as a damage ability more as a cc but every little bit helps
    @Xvorg ok I got ya so if your using dizzying swing and hit them with stone giant they will still be immune to knock back so you wont gain any effect. I have been using WB to empower leap for a long time and that has been working very well. looks like both stone giant and fossilize have their uses.

Thank you for all the help guys ill have to try these out. looks like everyone here agrees FoO should be removed in favor of fossilize or stone giant :)
  • IxskullzxI
    IxskullzxI
    ✭✭✭✭
    @scipionumatia
    I'm on mag dk. I guess I forgot stone giant deals magic damage, so on a stam dk it probably won't but very hard. You're probably better off going fossilize, unless you don't want a stun that ends when you damage them.
    #HowDoYouLikeYourDK?
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does 100% more damage if it knocks them down.
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..
  • scipionumatia
    scipionumatia
    ✭✭✭✭
    @IxskullzxI right now I don't have much trouble in open world pvp, usually ill run solo and theres 2 types of opponents that put up a good fight; shield stackers, normally sorcs. with these guys I have to either try to drain their resource pool or wait for them to cc themselves off my reflective scales via crystal shards or flame reach etc. then smash em. The second one is mag Templar heal bots who can smack that "oh ***" button and back to full health. these guys are usually comfortable letting their health drop around half cause they know they can heal back to full with the press of a button. I try to capitalize on that, swap to SnB bar and HA-heroic slash-bash to maintain resources, test how squishy they are and build ulti. once leap is ready and theyre around half health swap bars crit rush leap etc usually can kill that way.

in both cases a CC would be very useful

I do like having FoO tbh, skill looks cool and the passive boost is nice but when looking at my bars I don't think I really have another flex spot. its looking like the least required skill ATM

SnB bar- reflective scale, shuffle, vigor, igneous, heroic slash

2h- FoO, rally, crit rush, executioner, WB
  • murdomac101
    murdomac101
    ✭✭✭
    For the stam dk payers in this thread, what sets do you currently run for 2hw play?
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Toast_STS I wasn't aware fossilize was undodeable you earned an insightful for that one.
    @IxskullzxI your on stam dk or mag dk? about what does your stone giant hit for on stam dk? I didn't really think of it as a damage ability more as a cc but every little bit helps
    @Xvorg ok I got ya so if your using dizzying swing and hit them with stone giant they will still be immune to knock back so you wont gain any effect. I have been using WB to empower leap for a long time and that has been working very well. looks like both stone giant and fossilize have their uses.

Thank you for all the help guys ill have to try these out. looks like everyone here agrees FoO should be removed in favor of fossilize or stone giant :)

Just remeber, Stone giant can be reflected

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best part of fozz is the root after imo.
  • scipionumatia
    scipionumatia
    ✭✭✭✭
    So I played last night in sewers and battlegrounds. I started out with putting stone giant in place of FoO and in 1v1 fights this was amazing, really allowed me to control the flow of battle better. The only thing I will say is that there were times it got dodge rolled, missed cause of shuffle, or cloaked into a miss by a NB. That was pretty frustrating. I never had it reflected but I am kinda curious what would happen if it got reflected back at me while I have dragon scale up. would it just ping pong between us until someone took the hit?

after an hour I swapped it for fossilize and I think I like it better. when I'm facing multiple players I can shoot fossilize and know its a hit rather than not knowing if it hit or not (even though Ive got the damage numbers pop up and "dodge" "miss" and what not, it can be hard to pay attention to that with everything else going on).

I do like the range of stone fist but while messing around in the gold coast I got x2 "miss" a pixie in a row -_-
  • IxskullzxI
    IxskullzxI
    ✭✭✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »

Just remeber, Stone giant can be reflected

Yeah it's always fun stunning myself with it. Good times.
    Edited by IxskullzxI on July 27, 2017 9:11PM
    #HowDoYouLikeYourDK?
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Unpopular opinion. *** fossilize.

Its cash in 1v1s. But the stun breaks quick if I have a dot on some people, so its just a root that isn't necessary as I have talons, and 6s cooldown for what is effectively a root sux. It costs a lot too, and only 1 target, so if they are immune, thats 4k mag down the shitter. Personally I just use invasion for a lengthy stun+gapclose.

If they have the stam to consistantly block my invasion, then I probably can't kill them.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ak_pvp wrote: »

Its cash in 1v1s. But the stun breaks quick if I have a dot on some people, so its just a root that isn't necessary as I have talons, and 6s cooldown for what is effectively a root sux. It costs a lot too, and only 1 target, so if they are immune, thats 4k mag down the shitter. Personally I just use invasion for a lengthy stun+gapclose.

If they have the stam to consistantly block my invasion, then I probably can't kill them.

Fozz after breaking the stun gives you a inmovilization. Talons is a great skill, but if you press the buton one more time due to lag, you end up without magicka. Fozz is so good because after breakin cc, the enemy has to use dogeroll to avoid the inmo, and that drains a lot of stam

And if the fight last longer thn 6 secs, the second fozz is goa leave him OOS
    Edited by Xvorg on July 28, 2017 1:57PM

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • IxskullzxI
    IxskullzxI
    ✭✭✭✭

Fozz after breaking the stun gives you a inmovilization. Talons is a great skill, but if you press the buton one more time due to lag, you end up without magicka. Fozz is so good because after breakin cc, the enemy has to use dogeroll to avoid the inmo, and that drains a lot of stam

And if the fight last longer thn 6 secs, the second fozz is goa leave him OOS

Well a lot of people don't break the fossilize. They just wait for you to attack them to break it.
    #HowDoYouLikeYourDK?
  • scipionumatia
    scipionumatia
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Xvorg @IxskullzxI just playing with it for 2 days EVERYONE breaks fossilize haha. if you fossilize someone their whole immediate family starts smacking those triggers :lol:

xvorg, I see why you crit then fossilize. the range on fossilize is terribad, and then they can eat the whole leap to the face
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Xvorg @IxskullzxI just playing with it for 2 days EVERYONE breaks fossilize haha. if you fossilize someone their whole immediate family starts smacking those triggers :lol:

xvorg, I see why you crit then fossilize. the range on fossilize is terribad, and then they can eat the whole leap to the face

Yup, is a good way to lave them OOS for the leap

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • scipionumatia
    scipionumatia
    ✭✭✭✭

I see what your saying, for my dk tho I don't run any cc or roots aside from fossilize though.
    @Xvorg just thinking, if your gap closing then cc-ing couldn't we swap out for tallons since we will be less than 6m away anyway? I see what @ak_pvp is saying about hitting an enemy that's immune, that was happening quite a bit during yesterdays #BRIDGEFIGHT
    problem here though is they can hold block through the root :/

@Wrobel @ZOS_GinaBruno just asking to ask, shouldn't a morph (if not both morphs) of stone fist be stam based? I mean your throwing a rock, that's pretty physical. i know its a game and all, but just seems weird its a magic ability.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I see what your saying, for my dk tho I don't run any cc or roots aside from fossilize though.
    @Xvorg just thinking, if your gap closing then cc-ing couldn't we swap out for tallons since we will be less than 6m away anyway? I see what @ak_pvp is saying about hitting an enemy that's immune, that was happening quite a bit during yesterdays #BRIDGEFIGHT

@Wrobel @ZOS_GinaBruno just asking to ask, shouldn't a morph (if not both morphs) of stone fist be stam based? I mean your throwing a rock, that's pretty physical. i know its a game and all, but just seems weird its a magic ability.

Originally, stonefist was a magicka skill with physical dmg (th soft cap's era, when hybrids roamed aroun tamriel) However in later patches they change it to magicdmg.

I had an archer build with stonefist... it was nice (Focused aim + la + stonefist + full heavy + poison injection) It lasted one patch =(

Regarding swapping fozz for talons, it could work, but talon does not stun, so the enemy usually will block your attacks.

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • scipionumatia
    scipionumatia
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Xvorg day 3, still can't decide between fossilize and stone fist haha
    That 41 meter range is too hard to ignore :D
  • Valencer
    Valencer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FoO used to be really good.

Now that they nerfed major mending uptime on igneous shield youre basically forced to dump all of your magicka into that to have semi-decent healing, so it's not really realistic to slot FoO anymore. FoO also used to uncloak NBs, which they "fixed" with Morrowind.

But why do you guys want to use fossilize or stone fist? Theyre pretty terrible skills for a stam DK unless you can somehow get really high magicka sustain. Youre better off relying on Dizzying Swing or Reverb Bash.

I'd never use Fossilize. It's not a reliable CC and it's pointless trying to run someone out of stamina with it because even if you do end up running them out of stamina fossilize won't keep them CC'd when theyre out of stamina. Any damage breaks the stun instantly...
  • scipionumatia
    scipionumatia
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Valencer I can see the pluses of all 3 skills, they are all useful in their own way while none of them are exceptionally good must have skills. My mag pool sits around 14k and does get drained quick. It would be nice if we had a stam based cc.
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Originally, stonefist was a magicka skill with physical dmg (th soft cap's era, when hybrids roamed aroun tamriel) However in later patches they change it to magicdmg.

I had an archer build with stonefist... it was nice (Focused aim + la + stonefist + full heavy + poison injection) It lasted one patch =(

Regarding swapping fozz for talons, it could work, but talon does not stun, so the enemy usually will block your attacks.

Ya, but foss is broken near instantly, effectively only being a root in most situations.

Foss has 2 uses. Meteor combo, and disabling someones burst.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Valencer wrote: »
    FoO used to be really good.

Now that they nerfed major mending uptime on igneous shield youre basically forced to dump all of your magicka into that to have semi-decent healing, so it's not really realistic to slot FoO anymore. FoO also used to uncloak NBs, which they "fixed" with Morrowind.

But why do you guys want to use fossilize or stone fist? Theyre pretty terrible skills for a stam DK unless you can somehow get really high magicka sustain. Youre better off relying on Dizzying Swing or Reverb Bash.

I'd never use Fossilize. It's not a reliable CC and it's pointless trying to run someone out of stamina with it because even if you do end up running them out of stamina fossilize won't keep them CC'd when theyre out of stamina. Any damage breaks the stun instantly...

To drain stam the enemy neds to
    1- Break fozz stun (break free)
    2- Break fozz inmo (dodgeroll)

On any magicka character it can be a lethal combo

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Ya, but foss is broken near instantly, effectively only being a root in most situations.

Foss has 2 uses. Meteor combo, and disabling someones burst.

3. It goes through blocking

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    4. It gives you all the earthern heart passives
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp