The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What to do when someone face trades you and scams you for 100k?

Mike-420
Mike-420
✭✭
Besides flaming there little cheato ass everywhere i can possible think of.. Does reporting them to ESO actually result in anything like me getting my 100k back? them getting banned for being straight up ***? OR is this all for nothing ?

If nothing comes from it then Im moving on from this type of player base... That *** toxic as hell and if eso cant even fix it so people cant scam u like that, i mean remove the *** trade if anything changes after the other party hits submit for *** sakes.

Its been an awesome fun game, glad destiny 2 is coming out. *** you very much if you ever scam people.. *** move.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trading is for trading like with mates etc. If you want secure transaction you have to use COD mail, there's too much of a timing chance on trade

But yeah try to report them and see if you have evidence
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't expect any help from ZOS ...
    :neutral:
  • Mike-420
    Mike-420
    ✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »

Pretty much what i figured would be the case.. Sad *** like this is going to be the downfall of the game.... I canceled my sub and will be moving on from the game.

• davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're blaming the game because someone conned you...that can happen in any mmo. It's understandable to be angry, but it's not ZOS or the player community's fault...it's the wearily little skeever *** who ripped you off.

You can report them to ZOS. If you have playback video, it helps. Otherwise, ZOS isn't going to spend a lot of time policing the game, which is understandable. But they do ban and block abusers.

In this case, you lost $100k of digital in-game gold. Thankfully it wasn't crowns or your credit card numbers or a sharpened maelstrom weapon. You can make it back in a weekend farming session. Not to say it's not still annoying...I want to blow up a scammer's car too, lol. But in the grand scheme of things it's not the end of the world.

For everyone else out there, as well as the OP, do NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT trade screen with someone you don't know. Sending things COD provides 100% protection against being robbed this way. If the other person isn't willing to pay the fee, something is fishy.

• SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Argh, that's awful. That happens in most all MMOs, though. Never do a face-to-face trade, or any trade ... if you sell items directly, then do it through the COD system in the mail. That's where you send the item to them through the mail via COD, and they have to pay for it or they don't get the item and it's returned to you. I hope you don't leave the game because of one scumbag. :/

Edited by SydneyGrey on July 19, 2017 11:33PM
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with a lot of the people here, I feel for you brother. Hell, I'll even send you 5K in game if you are on NA PC, I know it's not much, but i don't have a lot to give. Hit me up @kijima I'm good for it.

My point is, don't give up on the community. 100K is a lot, but you'll get it back quickly, and while sending something to ZOS is probably good for you, as you'll feel better, don't expect any help. The dude that scammed you, don't worry, the Karma monster will catch up to him one day.

Trading, as some have already said, should be done with mates, people you've dealt with before and trust. Otherwise, COD the big stuff, it eliminates the risk.

Just like in life, there are scammers everywhere. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to get back to replying to a long lost relative, apparently I'm related to royalty, my half brother is a Nigerian Prince and needs my assistance.
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey mate.... dont write off the game or ZOS,

Log a ticket with all the details when, where, who and how and ask them.....

Maybe they just surprise you..

they can check chat logs and even money passed..

MAYBE they will assist you.

I have heard of guys that managed to get their stuff/money back..
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• Saturnana
    Saturnana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sad to hear this happened to you, and that it's incentive for you to leave all-together. :( I'd like to say that you shouldn't let this get to you and just carry on, but I also know that getting screwed over can really ruin one's feelings towards the game.

I've had this happen to me as well, before learning that COD was the better/safer option and the fact that I should've been using it to trade outside of guild stores all along. Nowadays, the only people I trade face-to-face with are RL friends or guildies, and anyone else will have to buy through the guild store or wait for me until I have the time to COD something. Don't want to buy from a guild, or don't have the patience? Then they'll need to find another seller.

I don't think ZOS is going to do something about the particular face-to-face trade system, as everyone trying to use it to scam others seems to be preying on human error - the system itself works as intended. Having said that, I do think it's useful to report the person who swindled you out of 100K since that alone should be against the rules.
    @Saturnna | PC / EU

Nâmae Rin : Dragonknight | Dr Milodas Ra'Himo : Templar | Mira Motierre : Sorceress
    Plays-ln-Puddles : Warden  |  Lady Neria : Dragonknight   | Philadore : Nightblade  
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Ha! I do love it when the mortals know they're being manipulated. Makes things infinitely more interesting."
                                      - Sheogorath
  • dan958
    dan958
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't use the face-to-face trade much, what is the issue with it?
    If you approve a trade and the person makes a change, would you not have to re-approve it again?
    @dan958 - PC/EU - Dannuin - Nightblade - Bosmer - CP982 - For the Queen!
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dan958 wrote: »
    If you approve a trade and the person makes a change, would you not have to re-approve it again?

No, what they do is put up their item first, you put yours up.

They hit accept making the screen blue, you go to hit accept, they quickly remove item, you finish hitting accept, they hit accept. You got screwed.

They need to add a confirmation page EVERY TIME SOMETHING CHANGES. sure it'll be a little annoying but it'll prevent this BS
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    With 420 in your name I'm guessing you were stoned out of your box and made a stupid mistake.

Honestly don't understand how people still let this happen....
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't buy off zone chat trough p2p transfer, check prices on TTC or MM and hover over the things in the COD mail before you pay the fee. I generally consider people in zone chat scammers by default and I only bought 2 motif pages in 2 years this way. 99.9% of my transactions are trough trade guilds.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • humpalicous
    humpalicous
    ✭✭✭
    Mike-420 wrote: »
    Besides flaming there little cheato ass everywhere i can possible think of.. Does reporting them to ESO actually result in anything like me getting my 100k back? them getting banned for being straight up ***? OR is this all for nothing ?

If nothing comes from it then Im moving on from this type of player base... That *** toxic as hell and if eso cant even fix it so people cant scam u like that, i mean remove the *** trade if anything changes after the other party hits submit for *** sakes.

Its been an awesome fun game, glad destiny 2 is coming out. *** you very much if you ever scam people.. *** move.

I'm afraid that ZOS won't help you on this one.

I know it feels like crap being scammed, but all you can do now is move on. Always use COD mail with players you don't know or not in your dungeon group.

I wish there was a better way to counter this kind of behavior but sadly there isn't. Maybe ZOS should invest resources and time into some kind of ticket/compensation system granted that the parties can present solid evidence?

Even though it's just virtual currency, 100k takes a long time to farm for many players who aren't experienced traders, crafters, provisioners etc.

Sorry that this happened to you, the scammer seems like a pathetic excuse for a human being, which means you're the better person if that's any consolation!
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I only Trade with people I know. COD.

100k not so bad anyways. It's like $10 on console. Cheaper still on PC
  • OC_Justice
    OC_Justice
    ✭✭✭
    I canceled my sub and will be moving on from the game.

Over 100K of fantasy money?

Tell me what would you do with the 100K if you still had it?
    Buy digital images of fantasy objects?

All you people worried about "making/earning/losing money" in a fantasy world confuse me.
    You worry about bots ruining an economy that in the end doesn't matter in real life.

Too bad you are not that passionate about making money in the real world.
    In the end who really cares about it.
    You will never enjoy a game if you don't look at it as a game.

It reminds of a post a while back. A guy said "i wasted 12 years of my life playing WoW."
    What?
    What about the people you meet.
    What about the friendships you bond while conquering a new challenge.
    All that was a WASTE?

You kids need to get away from the PC and learn the difference between reality and fantasy.

• Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OC_Justice wrote: »

All you people worried about "making/earning/losing money" in a fantasy world confuse me.
    You worry about bots ruining an economy that in the end doesn't matter in real life.

It reminds of a post a while back. A guy said "i wasted 12 years of my life playing WoW."
    What?
    All that was a WASTE?

You kids need to get away from the PC and learn the difference between reality and fantasy.

Actually WoW's currency is worth more in American dollars than a large amount of countries. Gonna guess the same is true of ESO.

Anyway, time is money, there is a monetary value to this "fantasy" money
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • OC_Justice
    OC_Justice
    ✭✭✭
    OC_Justice wrote: »

What?
    All that was a WASTE?

Actually WoW's currency is worth more in American dollars than a large amount of countries. Gonna guess the same is true of ESO.

Anyway, time is money, there is a monetary value to this "fantasy" money

Yeah good luck with spending it in the real world. When you go to buy your 1st car or home, why don't you offer eso and wow gold and see how far that gets you.
  • DeathHouseInc
    DeathHouseInc
    ✭✭✭
    kijima wrote: »
    I agree with a lot of the people here, I feel for you brother. Hell, I'll even send you 5K in game if you are on NA PC, I know it's not much, but i don't have a lot to give. Hit me up @kijima I'm good for it.

My point is, don't give up on the community. 100K is a lot, but you'll get it back quickly, and while sending something to ZOS is probably good for you, as you'll feel better, don't expect any help. The dude that scammed you, don't worry, the Karma monster will catch up to him one day.

Trading, as some have already said, should be done with mates, people you've dealt with before and trust. Otherwise, COD the big stuff, it eliminates the risk.

Just like in life, there are scammers everywhere. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to get back to replying to a long lost relative, apparently I'm related to royalty, my half brother is a Nigerian Prince and needs my assistance.

When can I send you the 100k you need to borrow before you give me the 5k? I tried contacting you in game but I think you typed your name wrong or something. I want to help your family too.
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never face-trade in this game except for groups I am part of. There is NO reason for me to waste my time meeting up with someone to trade something when it can just be sent CoD. CoD I dont have to worry about someone trying to confuse me with trading timing, I dont have wait through loading screens to get to them, I dont have to playgames...well worth the CoD fee to me.
  • pkuronen
    pkuronen
    ✭✭✭
    dan958 wrote: »

No, what they do is put up their item first, you put yours up.

They hit accept making the screen blue, you go to hit accept, they quickly remove item, you finish hitting accept, they hit accept. You got screwed.

Don't my blue confirmation go away when the other party changes offer? Nice to know if it doesn't.
  • Mike-420
    Mike-420
    ✭✭
    davey1107 wrote: »
    You're blaming the game because someone conned you...that can happen in any mmo. It's understandable to be angry, but it's not ZOS or the player community's fault...it's the wearily little skeever *** who ripped you off.

Yes and No.. I blame the game for not having the conformation not re-affirm the trade after a change has been made.. Its a loop hole that could EASILY be patched out but is still left to be exploited by children.. So yeah i blame zos for *** coding (This is hardly the 1st instance either..) And i blame little kids who can't be bothered to do *** on there own and instead resort to scamming players for fun.. And in a weird twist of events, HE GOT SCAMMED either that night or the next day, He had a video posted on HIS wall where he got scammed by another player doing the SAME scam he did to me! Ironic much?! lol

And in another odd weird karmatic (Is that a word cause if not im making it one.) twist of events, I canceled my eso plus out of frustration and anger, made 100% sure it would never auto bill me again, this was like 2-4 days before it was due to expire..On the day it expired, I Logged in as usual and found my account had been gifted 1500 crowns, I checked my membership still not active so that was weird. Spent the crowns thinking ok whatever thanks!

Today i log in and i found 3000 crowns and my membership is now Active?

And before you jump the gun, I checked my billing on my account/microsoft NO charges have been applied to my account since the 21st of july when i bought something else.

The only account linked is my paypal which i checked there as well NO CHARGES have been made to my account.

So now I got scammed out of 100k which now i don't care about its just gold whatever, and then i get 1500 crowns 1 day 3000 the next, Am i gonna get 6000 tomorrow??????

I decided not to leave ESO btw, Your all right im not gonna let 1 person ruin the game for me :D But i sure the hell won't make that same mistake again lol

• Belidos
    Belidos
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They need to add a confirmation page EVERY TIME SOMETHING CHANGES. sure it'll be a little annoying but it'll prevent this BS

It technically does, it's just that there is a short delay between when it registers you accepting and them changing it and re-accept, this is what they're exploiting to do this. The system doesn't really need changing, it needs fixing so that accepting and changing things is registered instantly.
  • White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zos should have public stocks placed in each factions home city and anyone provening guilty of such crimes have their character locked in it for 24 hours game time
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Belidos wrote: »

It technically does, it's just that there is a short delay between when it registers you accepting and them changing it and re-accept, this is what they're exploiting to do this. The system doesn't really need changing, it needs fixing so that accepting and changing things is registered instantly.
    I'd like someone to post a video of this using a 1g loaf of bread, as I find it difficult to believe there is no sync of some sort.

Unless there is high ping on one end and the scammer has impeccable timing, anticipating your keypress, I really don't think this is as commonplace as it sounds.

The solution, as it always has been, is simply to linger. Take your time, confirm the items, wait and then confirm the final trade.

If you see the trade getting one-side cancelled or items start to switch, simply cancel the trade and report if necessary.

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Azuramoonstar
    Azuramoonstar
    ✭✭✭✭
    doesn't Zos have a ToS rule against this? Every mmo I've played even f2p/p2w korean ones have rules against this, and they do stuff about it. ff11 and ff14, heck even WoW i've seen ppl get the banhammer for trade scams.
    Long time mmo player: 2004-[current year]
    Long time Elder scrolls player: Xbox launch morrowind.
    Follower of the dawn and dusk, keeper of the moon and star.
  • xilfxlegion
    xilfxlegion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    simple fix ---- pay attention.

• IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't quite understand how this happens.

Before any trade, first you must confirm acceptance and the other party must also confirm. If they change any item, it must be reviewed and confirmed again by both parties before you can actually trade.
  • Mike-420
    Mike-420
    ✭✭

Before any trade, first you must confirm acceptance and the other party must also confirm. If they change any item, it must be reviewed and confirmed again by both parties before you can actually trade.

Heres how it works.

I put up my item, You put up your gold and confirm, I then confirm, Now this is where the exploit happens, In a fraction of a second the other person will remove their gold and re-confirm and the trade will then proceed to go thru as if nothing has changed.

Thats how it happens.

• khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Heres how it works.

I put up my item, You put up your gold and confirm, I then confirm, Now this is where the exploit happens, In a fraction of a second the other person will remove their gold and re-confirm and the trade will then proceed to go thru as if nothing has changed.

Thats how it happens.

SHouldnt your changing the item require the buyer to re-confirm the purchase?
    P2P offered you 'hell yeah!' moments. F2P offers you 'thank god its over' moments.
  • Mike-420
    Mike-420
    ✭✭
    [

SHouldnt your changing the item require the buyer to re-confirm the purchase?

Should.. However it fails to do so and allows the scammer to rip people off nilly willy style.