The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Vvardenfell Furniture Plan Drop Rates

Mix
Mix
✭✭✭✭✭
I am sure many of my fellow furniture crafting enthusiasts have experienced first-hand the frustration of obtaining Vvardenfell-only furnishing plans, especially the purple ones.

I have been recording data from my many Hleran Tomb clears. There are about 70 filled urns per clear. From June 5th to July 2nd I cleared Hleran Tomb 455 times, which is about 31,850 urns opened.

As of Update 14 we have several furniture plan loot tables:
Global: all the common, Breton, Redguard, Orc, Dark Elf, Nord, Argonian, High Elf, Wood Elf, and Khajiit plans
Vvardenfell: Ashlander, Dres, Hlaalu, Indoril, Redoran and Telvanni plans.
Dwarven: all the Dwarven plans
Daedric: all the Daedric plans
Special: plans that are obtainable from only one source. For example: the Wood Elf Throne, Vine plan from nobles in Grahtwood.

There aren't any problems with the Dwarven, Daedric and Special plan loot tables as they all have specific sources.

There is a problem with the Global and Vvardenfell plan tables. More specifically, the fact that Global plans are found in Vvardenfell way way too often.

In the 4 weeks of data I have collected so far I have looted the following plans:

45 White Global Plans
382 Green Global and 75 Green Vvard Plans (about 5 Global: 1 Vvard)
134 Blue Global and 22 Blue Vvard Plans (about 6 Global: 1 Vvard)
18 Purple Global and 4 Purple Vvard Plans (about 4.5 Global: 1 Vvard)

So, I loot ONE purple Vvardenfell-only plan once a week. There are 116 Vvardenfell-only purple plans (not sure if any fall into the Special source category or not). So, at my current loot rate it will take 116 weeks to loot them all (assuming you trade duplicates for unknown).

That is ridiculous!

I think there might be purple Vvardenfell plans that no one on the server has found yet!

What I think should be done to make this MUCH less frustrating for furniture crafters:
  • Remove the white global plans from the loot tables completely! These are available on npcs vendors and there is no need for them to also drop!
  • Remove the Breton, Redguard, Orc, Dark Elf, Nord, Argonian, High Elf, Wood Elf and Khajiit plans from the Vvardenfell loot table. This leaves the common and Vvardenfell only plans in the overall plan loot table OR give the Vvardenfell plans a very large bias. As is for every 1 global plan I should loot 1 Vvardenfell plan.
  • Add random furniture envelopes with Vvardenfell-only plans to the Master Writ vendor to give us an alternative to opening 1000's of urns to get our Vvardenfell plans.

I know that ZoS needs to make money from players buying the Crown Store furniture and having the plans exceptionally rare will technically increase the revenue from Crown Furniture. There needs to be a balance though. Furniture mats are already rare and needed in large quantities for EACH piece of furniture. This means lots of time or gold needs to be invested. People will still buy Crown Furniture because they don't have the time or gold to craft it. You are only frustrating and angering furniture crafters and housing enthusiasts with the difficulty of looting Vvardenfell plans. I ask and my guildmates ask "Can anyone craft _____?" on a daily basis and the answer is almost always "No". It gets rather depressing.

There are Crown Exclusive furniture items already which people will buy. Perhaps to compliment their crafted furnishings...but what is the point of buying some Amber Jellyfish Lights if you have no furniture in your house and if you spend crowns on the craftable furniture then you don't have enough for the awesome Amber Jellyfish Lights:( Since nearly all players do not have unlimited money to spend on Crowns.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Please seriously consider changing the current loot tables for Vvardenfell furniture plans.

Mix

Edited by Mix on July 8, 2017 11:40PM
  • angelncelestine
    angelncelestine
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree completely with everything you said. I have yet to find a purple one myself at all. A handful of greens, 1 blue, and the rest were old ones. I have a whole house sitting empty that I bought because I wanted to decorate in the new styles. Quite the bummer that it will most likely take months. They seriously need to up the drop rate or get rid of the base game ones.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Omega_Cumulonimbus
    I share your frustration. I joined the thrall of housing enthusiasts; making dozens of urn runs each and every day-sometimes 20+ runs during my game time, in an attempt to further my known furnishing recipe collection yet after doing so since morrowind launch I am now completely burned out with little to show for my vigor. The only thing that I can take away from my failed venture is my resolve to NOT buy a single furnishing item from the crown store-and am considering letting my ESO plus membership lapse due to this issue.

I fight the thought that this is a calculated tactic by developers to generate greater revenue by forcing the populous to seek out those treasured items that are nay impossible to find ingame via the crown store (i.e. cash shop) but it is very hard to believe any other reasoning behind the incredibly pathetic drop rate.

I simply cannot understand why as developers you would create such awesome items and then prevent your customers from obtaining them. As stated, I am an ESO plus member and have been for quite some time, I know most of those I run with are also members-surely this, plus those who regularly make crown store purchases provides a sustainable revenue. Has it come down to greed then? I'm all for supporting the game I love, but refuse to be a lamb for the slaughter.

If this is what is to be expected as a future business model you can count me out.
    Edited by Omega_Cumulonimbus on July 9, 2017 3:11AM
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Games need to have rare items imo, but yeah their's a difference between rare and nearly findeable.
  • bellatrixed
    bellatrixed
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% agree. Vvardenfell should only drop the new Vvardenfell-themed patterns.

In fact, I'd like it if patterns were more regional as a whole--I shouldn't get Nord stuff from the Alik'r desert.

But especially for the new patterns that are virtually impossible to find, please change this ZOS.
    ESO Roleplay | RP community for all factions/servers/platforms
  • Tesari
    Tesari
    ✭✭✭
    I have spent many moons (at this point over a month as well) doing much the same thing. Farming urns in Vvardenfell for the new furnishing recipes.

My experience with getting ANY new furnishing recipes is even lower the Mix's. But I don't come close to matching up the same number of tomb runs as Mix with my limited play time. I've not received a single new purple, only 2 new blue recipes, and a small handful ( less than 5) of the new green Vvardenfell furnishing recipes.

I've also spent hours stealing and pickpocketing only to get old recipes in Vvardenfell as well, not a single new one.

I share the desperate cry for better lootable drop rates on the new furnishing recipes. I'm not made of real money. Everything housing related is incredibly expensive, both crown wise and material wise (when it comes to crafting something IF you can find someone that CAN craft it).

Everyone who has played an MMO knows the phrase "gating techniques". But this is too much ZOS. Something desperately needs to be done here on all avenues. Refer to the original poster for ideas of how to remedy this.

I would also like re-state what has been stated so many times that the horse is dead, beatin', set on fire, ran over, scraped up and tossed right back into the loop again, "furnishing crafting costs are WAY too high and crown store prices for furnishings are as well."

There is the added frustration that some housing related items are LIMITED TIME only in the crown store. I don't even have time to save paychecks and plan responsibly while balancing my real life obligations to keep myself and my family afloat before the item is gone for purchase.

In a nutshell. 100% agree with Mix. There is no excuse for the current state of affairs on this matter. It needs to be made right, in my honest opinion.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Urn farming - the REAL endgame!

On bright side, when I did find a duplicate of a certain Telvanni furniture (don't be jelly, I only know 2 Telvanni things total) I was able to sell it for 700k gold. Not to mention the 50-100k gold blues. I feel special with all this gold and stuff to monopolize the market with because literally no one else is selling some of it :p

But seriously yes, they need to up the droprates, at the very least make it like all the other zones where all Global styles drop but there still is a bias towards the zone's race. I can live with occasional 6k worth Bosmer purple but not so much 3 of them in a row, then 2 Nord, 2 Redguard(no complaints here tbh, still missing some of those :D ), 3 Breton, 2 Altmer and 4 Dunmer before I FINALLY might get a new purple.
    Edited by Magdalina on July 9, 2017 7:59PM
  • tyran404_ESO
    tyran404_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I've been farming urns since early launch... haven't gotten 1 purple new recipe yet.. i got a crap ton of other old purples, TWO imperial motifs, a ton of purple cooking recipes. but not a single vvardenfell one.. and i won't even mention how much thieving I've done and that has had worse luck lol!

The new recipes need a tweak tot heir drops considering you can only get them in the new areas.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    DAMN THIS COMMENT IS FANCY!
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Morimizo
    Morimizo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The RNG as a whole is a form of masochistic punishment; instead of being disappointed a 100 times a logon, I am so cynical about getting the Buoyant Armiger page/Vvardenfell recipe/Maelstrom wep with the right trait/decent Master Writ voucher total/etc.), that I expect absolutely nothing favorable to drop, and am ABSOLUTELY FLABBERGASTED if it does.

There are many other reasons I enjoy playing this game besides rare finds, and despise affixing happiness on luck-based game mechanics, but I can see how it would push lots of folks away.

Is there really not a better balance between crown store profits and successful in-game acquisition?
    Edited by Morimizo on July 9, 2017 9:21PM
  • Shawn_PT
    Shawn_PT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morimizo wrote: »
    The RNG as a whole is a form of masochistic punishment; instead of being disappointed a 100 times a logon, I am so cynical about getting the Buoyant Armiger page/Vvardenfell recipe/Maelstrom wep with the right trait/decent Master Writ voucher total/etc.), that I expect absolutely nothing favorable to drop, and am ABSOLUTELY FLABBERGASTED if it does.

This seems to be my take one everything in life, not just ESO. Expect nothing good and you won't be disappointed when nothing good happens. On the other hand any small good thing is a huge win.

Back on topic, I have spent almost no time at all in Vvardenfell yet, but the last time I was running through my list of known recipes I noticed a Dres cup somewhere in there. I must have picked it up during the tutorial perhaps. It was a nice surprise.
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've been farming urns since early launch... haven't gotten 1 purple new recipe yet.. i got a crap ton of other old purples, TWO imperial motifs, a ton of purple cooking recipes. but not a single vvardenfell one.. and i won't even mention how much thieving I've done and that has had worse luck lol!

The new recipes need a tweak tot heir drops considering you can only get them in the new areas.

Yeah I tried the whole urn thing for a day or 2 and got barely anything so I just went with chest farming after

28 armiger motifs
    12 Inferno War Maiden Sharp
    8 Lightning War Maiden Sharp
    7 War Maiden Sharp sword
    and plenty of other stuff since launch basically out of chest farming.
  • angelncelestine
    angelncelestine
    ✭✭✭✭
  • TeIvanni
    TeIvanni
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know I'm a little late to the party, But this is still an issue.

I had literally over 12,000 lock picks across all characters before i sold some.
    Think about that... That means over 12,000 urns looted.

I still haven't found the plan I'm looking for.
    I've been checking guild stores and TTC daily. They simply aren't available.
    -Telvanni
    The Greatest of the Great Houses

Late Night ERP GM
    Nightfighters - Officer/Raid Lead
    [Immortal Redeemer]
    [Gryphonheart]
    [Tick-Tock Tormentor]

• Gothren
    Gothren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tesari wrote: »
    I have spent many moons (at this point over a month as well) doing much the same thing. Farming urns in Vvardenfell for the new furnishing recipes.

My experience with getting ANY new furnishing recipes is even lower the Mix's. But I don't come close to matching up the same number of tomb runs as Mix with my limited play time. I've not received a single new purple, only 2 new blue recipes, and a small handful ( less than 5) of the new green Vvardenfell furnishing recipes.

I've also spent hours stealing and pickpocketing only to get old recipes in Vvardenfell as well, not a single new one.

I share the desperate cry for better lootable drop rates on the new furnishing recipes. I'm not made of real money. Everything housing related is incredibly expensive, both crown wise and material wise (when it comes to crafting something IF you can find someone that CAN craft it).

Everyone who has played an MMO knows the phrase "gating techniques". But this is too much ZOS. Something desperately needs to be done here on all avenues. Refer to the original poster for ideas of how to remedy this.

I would also like re-state what has been stated so many times that the horse is dead, beatin', set on fire, ran over, scraped up and tossed right back into the loop again, "furnishing crafting costs are WAY too high and crown store prices for furnishings are as well."

There is the added frustration that some housing related items are LIMITED TIME only in the crown store. I don't even have time to save paychecks and plan responsibly while balancing my real life obligations to keep myself and my family afloat before the item is gone for purchase.

In a nutshell. 100% agree with Mix. There is no excuse for the current state of affairs on this matter. It needs to be made right, in my honest opinion.

you are just better off buying furnishings of what you need. prices for some have gone down. just farm mats on vardenfell and loot urns and backpacks when you can this way you can get gold, buy furnishings what you need, and maybe get lucky on the drop
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I had literally over 12,000 lock picks across all characters before i sold some.

Duh, 12k is nothing :p I did some calculations - the tomb I farm has exactly 80 urns and I have 4 toons parked there so that's 320 urns a loop and I do several loops a day, up to 10 or more sometimes maybe. My average rate of finding a new purple is once a week if I farm actively. Forget finding the one you want, ANY new purple. That puts it at something like 3200*7=22,400. Now I don't keep precise track of things and rng is known to hate me so maybe it's actually slightly higher but...yeah. 22k picks for ONE new purple, give or take.

But they're available at crown store for just 500 crowns each, don't worry!
    Edited by Magdalina on August 3, 2017 6:16AM
  • Chufu
    Chufu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I know exactly what you mean. Since the Release of Morrowind I've never seen a Purple Vvardenfell furniture plan. :/
  • angelncelestine
    angelncelestine
    ✭✭✭✭
    Update: Still farming urns and backpacks several times a day (to the point I am thinking about renaming my toon to Lara Croft) and I still haven't gotten a single new purple furnishing recipe. A handful of new blues and greens. Like many of you I was so excited for all of the new beautiful furnishing recipes! I am afraid though if they keep the drop rate the same I will most likely be ashes like in one of these urns I have been looting and my house will still sit empty. @ZOS_GinaBruno
  • Vanthras79
    Vanthras79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Norion Germain - Telvanni Wizard, Covenant Battle Mage, Mage's Guild Magister, Resident of Daggerfall Overlook, Lord of Tel Galen, Psijic Monk, Antiquarian, Breton Scholar, and Traveler.

• SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khajiit obtained a purple Hlaalu canopy bed recipe from Dreloth Tomb recently.

This one also agrees though that it seems odd that the ancient Dunmer were buried with so few of their own furnishing recipes yes but so many recipes for Argonian baskets.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • SunnyBunny
    SunnyBunny
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah it's pretty funkie, looking and looking and not finding anything. I understand there are new people in the game and they need to find the white and green as well but it's overly crazy now.
    What I was thinking is maybe some sort of exchange,. Like once a week go to a certain trader NPC and exchange like 100 green plans for like a single voucher. Heck even a portion that you can mix to get a random purple or even gold item.

What would really be nice is the ability to decon made furniture for mats. I have made pieces that didn't work out to what I thought so now I'm stuck with it. I end up donating it to my guild or trying to make a quick sale or storing it somewhere else. Which takes up space I could have used somewhere else.
    Lone Wolf Help ~ Royal Bank of Tamriel ~ Black Market Wares

I Know I'm Lost

*Ernestina - Imperial Temp
    *Ennus - Bosmer Sorc
    *Greavy - Orc DK
    *Somniate - Ra Gada NB
    *Cilano - Imperial DK
    *Ba'Raka - Khajiit Warden
    *Bird In Hand - Argonian Templar
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree. Thank you for taking the time to write a comprehensive post. All I have managed to far is one-liners in 20 different threads.
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

In fact, I'd like it if patterns were more regional as a whole--I shouldn't get Nord stuff from the Alik'r desert.

But especially for the new patterns that are virtually impossible to find, please change this ZOS.

If everything was regional I would be so happy. I could actually farm certain styles reliably instead of getting redguard desk, inlaid for the hundredth time
  • TheNuminous1
    TheNuminous1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magdalina wrote: »

Duh, 12k is nothing :p I did some calculations - the tomb I farm has exactly 80 urns and I have 4 toons parked there so that's 320 urns a loop and I do several loops a day, up to 10 or more sometimes maybe. My average rate of finding a new purple is once a week if I farm actively. Forget finding the one you want, ANY new purple. That puts it at something like 3200*7=22,400. Now I don't keep precise track of things and rng is known to hate me so maybe it's actually slightly higher but...yeah. 22k picks for ONE new purple, give or take.

Hi I was wondering which Tomb you run that has 80 urns :)?

• mrdiamond666
    mrdiamond666
    ✭✭✭
    Magdalina wrote: »

Dreloth, Pick up the mission from the shy chick nearby. Thats the one ive been doing...
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Dreloth, Pick up the mission from the shy chick nearby. Thats the one ive been doing...

Also Hleran by Ald'ruhn has more, but you will have to fight a bit and run accross a lava river to access. Quest pickup near Ald'ruhn.
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep another reason besides the Bouyant Armiger motif that the loot in Vvardenfell is so disappointing and unrewarding.

If ZoS thinks I am going to buy Morrowind furniture off the crown store, they will have to think again, it wont happen

The zone is already pretty much a ghost town now
    Edited by Katahdin on August 3, 2017 11:46PM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe crafted vardenfell stuff will actually sell for something then. The only crafted item I have ever been able to sell from the original housing stuff and make a dime it redgaurd bookcase full and even that doesn't make much scratch anymore.
    I am mostly pleased with the current state of ESO. Please do continue to ban cheaters though and you guys have to find out who is duping gold and how because the economy is currently non-functional.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jhalin wrote: »

If everything was regional I would be so happy. I could actually farm certain styles reliably instead of getting redguard desk, inlaid for the hundredth time

As far as I can tell other motifs are regional biased. Not regional exclusive but you do seem to be more likely to get Nord stuff in Rift, Redguard in Hew's Bane etc. Vvardenfell? Equal chances for everything as far as I can tell. Which sucks big time given it's the only zone that has them at all.

And yeah, I farm Dreloth because it's shorter and more condensed but Hleran also looks promising.
  • mrdiamond666
    mrdiamond666
    ✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »
    Yep another reason besides the Bouyant Armiger motif that the loot in Vvardenfell is so disappointing and unrewarding.

If ZoS thinks I am going to buy Morrowind furniture off the crown store, they will have to think again, it wont happen

Ghost town = LESS COMPETITION...
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »

Ghost town = LESS COMPETITION...
    Enjoy your stay. The most expensive DLC that barely lasted longer than IC.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone