Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Can't beat anything now

rzn6jw111_ESO
rzn6jw111_ESO
✭✭
Playing Morrowind with a new Warden character and just turned Level 17. All of a sudden, I can't win any single-player battles against anything, monsters, humans, etc.

Anyone else having this problem?
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check your gear, as you level up it gets weaker. If that aint it, slot a healing ability.
  • rzn6jw111_ESO
    rzn6jw111_ESO
    ✭✭
    Tried that. Tried switching weapons (1290 damage at level 17): to frost when attacked by fire, to fire when attacked by frost. All the death stats show the attacker with 4X value stats than my character. And whenever I die, it seems that I can respawn right there because I have a filled soul gem (don't have any in inventory). How can that be?
  • DPShiro
    DPShiro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a l2p issue to me.

Overland/Story content is hilariously easy and can be done naked without any gear.
    ~ Gryphon Heart ~
    ~ Immortal Redeemer ~
    ~ Grand Master Crafter ~
    ~ Master Angler ~
    ~ Former Emperor ~
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    L2P
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, cant say as I have. Prolly gear.

Though, with this lovely community why would you wanna keep playing?

[Edited to remove promotion of other games]
    Edited by ZOS_Ragnar on July 5, 2017 12:25PM
  • Bryong9ub17_ESO
    Bryong9ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I only have mine leveled to 36 or so and I don't have much of a problem. And im a full heal build.
  • DanStartheFirst
    DanStartheFirst
    ✭✭✭
    Tried that. Tried switching weapons (1290 damage at level 17): to frost when attacked by fire, to fire when attacked by frost. All the death stats show the attacker with 4X value stats than my character. And whenever I die, it seems that I can respawn right there because I have a filled soul gem (don't have any in inventory). How can that be?

@rzn6jw111_ESO could be a server issue how is your ping like>? I know with me being one of the people having issues atm get really bad combat lag to the point where I almost die because I get hit 12 times once my ping drops
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What level is your gear vs what level are you?

The greater the distance between the two by while leveling the harder enemies hit you.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So youre using level 17 weapons? Just because youre level 17 doesnt mean you can do well with a level 5 staff. As you level up you need to keep replacing your gear with higher level items to match. Also i habe to ask, are you Light Attacking most of the time? Use more of your skills and Heavy Attack instead.

Dont know about the phantom soul gems, i dont beleive the game would allow you to revive using one if you reallu didnt have any. Double check to make sure cause you do loot them on ocassion from bosses and such.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the past, if I had this problem it was because I'd out-leveled my armor, weapons and/or jewelry.
    Ignore the "L2P" people. That type of person loves to skim threads just looking for an excuse to be condescending and mean. They probably write "L2P!" on every thread they can.

Edited by SydneyGrey on July 4, 2017 11:42PM
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you have been allocating appropriate skills to suit class and build and are using suitable skills on your weapon bars, all I can suggest is gear. If it is the right level, does any of it need repairing, do your weapons need recharging, etc.

Are you using correct gear - 5 pc light for magic, 5 pc med for stam, etc. and does it have appropriate traits on it for your character. Are you using set gear or bits and pieces you have picked up, etc. Is you gear enchanted with glyphs, are you using any foods or potions.

And as @SydneyGrey said - ignore the L2P goons, they are just out to annoy people.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You need proper gear and to stack all stats into magic or stamina.

Look up a real build, then work towards it.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can revive without a soul gem once every 2 hours if you put a skill point into that passive in the Soul skill line.

Also, even though I hate cookie cutter/meta builds you want to look one up because I learned so much about my class from them. Like putting a skill from a certain class tree gives you a passive, so putting one skill on each bar from that class tree makes sure you always have that passive up. Also some skills are meant to be paired with others and it's not until you see the reasoning behind builds do you learn why. Also even things like (as a healer) doing a heavy attack with a Resto staff (to get major mending) is great right before casting a heal.

Post your class, gear, skills, and stats here and we can help you. Sometimes it's strategy (which skills in which order to make the most of them) some times is bar placement for passives, sometimes you could just change a mundus stone.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Sigma957
    Sigma957
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems to me you need better gear, my level 10 warden was helping kill world bosses and keeping people healed and your damage should be close to 2k or more.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    early on do few skills (you are just learning them) and look for good passives that will help you (such as the light armor passives for a magicka spellcaster).
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Emmagoldman
    Emmagoldman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I first started, I didnt know about armor sets or traits. I felt way more powerful when i put on my first 5 piece set (julianos). What set do you have and do you have questions how to get it?

I suggest also to use blue food (not drinks) and light attack inbetween your skills (weaving)
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Avran_Sylt wrote: »
    Check your gear, as you level up it gets weaker. If that aint it, slot a healing ability.

Yes

Granted, I am CP capped, but I leveled up a dps to mid 20s wearing only what dropped. No sets and often mismatched stats. Had no real issues. It could be just avoiding the damage. idk without more information.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    In the past, if I had this problem it was because I'd out-leveled my armor, weapons and/or jewelry.
    Ignore the "L2P" people. That type of person loves to skim threads just looking for an excuse to be condescending and mean. They probably write "L2P!" on every thread they can.
    This
    It might also be that you broke an set replacing parts. This is the opposite problem.
    best advice is to get some crafted training gear.
    Food, are you using the right food? If you are an stamina player who run out of stamina food and start eating magica one it would be bad
    Perfectly you want crafted dual stat food, again ask in guild.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am still in my prison rags that u start game in and I don't have any problem with overland over. I do have 500 ish cp
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure to have all your class and armor / weapons passives , you should put points in there

Make sure to use gear that is your level of few levels less (no more than 4-5 levels under your level)

If youre magicka Julianos is a good crafted gear that can help you and use a destruction staff
    If youre stamina Hunding Rage is a good crafted gear that can help you and use a dual wield set up with bow on second bar

Try to use gear from the same equipment, (benefit from sets are huge and quite important since OT)

Try to check deltias or alcast build and copy or adapt their build to make high DPS

At level 17 you should not struggle until the occasional boss that makes you feel squishy (until you master your char and then this problem does not happean anymore)
  • Stovahkiin
    Stovahkiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I saw a guy in stonefalls today who was only using light bow attacks on his enemies.. don't be like that guy
    Edited by Stovahkiin on July 5, 2017 5:31AM
    Beware the battle cattle, but don't *fear* the battle cattle!
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Stovahkiin wrote: »
    I saw a guy in stonefalls today who was only using light bow attacks on his enemies.. don't be like that guy

In Stonefalls? Lol. I've seen that in vet dungeons.

OP, do make sure your gear is same level as you(well or 2-3-4 levels below, not level 3 rags). Try to have a set that at least mildly matches your playstyle, ergo if you use staves and magicka skills, have a set that buffs magicka, mag regen, spell crit, spellpower etc; using a set that buffs weapon damage, max stamina and weapon power will be useless to you in that scenario. You can find set pieces in the world or craft a set yourself(ask someone to craft for you if you don't know how to yet).

Try to unlock what passives/skills you can. Armor and weapon passives will be a huge help, and if you're having issues surviving, a healing skill or two sounds good too. On higher levels get a damage shield skill(like Annulment from light armor skill tree) if you decide to stick with magicka.

Use food. Most commonly used(at least at that level) ones are blue max health+max magicka or max health+max stamina, you can usually cheaply buy them in a guildstore or ask a guildie/friend to make you some for free even. It's +5k to your resources, petty major.

And lastly, even if you do it naked and without food you still will not die if you know what you are doing. Watch your enemies. Sure they might have more health than you but they have no brains. If they're melee, kite them by moving away and cc-ing them as they get close. If they do channeled attacks, always interrupt those - not just it will stop the attack but it will also briefly cc them. Interruptable attacks usually display the red lines around them. Non interruptable channels tend to have yellow-ish lines, do block/dodge those(or just step out, melee attacks you can usually avoid by just stepping aside).

If you're having trouble with multiple mobs, slot an aoe. Watch out for their composition too, you generally want to kill the healer first if there is one(you also want to interrupt their heals).

Good luck ;)
  • MNsnowtaTy
    MNsnowtaTy
    ✭✭✭
    DPShiro wrote: »
    Sounds like a l2p issue to me.

Overland/Story content is hilariously easy and can be done naked without any gear.
    Blanco wrote: »
    L2P

Hey thanks for those valuable inputs guys/gals!

Playing Morrowind with a new Warden character and just turned Level 17. All of a sudden, I can't win any single-player battles against anything, monsters, humans, etc.

Anyone else having this problem?

Like everyone has mentioned, just check your gear and weapons and make sure they match or are at least close to your current level and then make sure they are repaired and at full health again.

As far as the soul gem thing. Do you have the perk that allows you to revive once every 2 hours I believe?

• Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got 5 chars from level 1-10 just after Morrowind launched and I had no problems whatsoever beating overland content, even with dropped white and green, non set gear.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • rzn6jw111_ESO
    rzn6jw111_ESO
    ✭✭
    Well, whatever happened, I was winning battles, albeit with a lot of blood loss sometimes. Now I have to really watch where I go. Might just switch out of Morrowind to another area and see what happens.
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭

while this may on it's surface sound like a curt reply, it's actually good advice. NOW is the time to start considering a proper build to be working towards.

Hybrids are not viable (no.. sorry the're crap in the current meta), as the person recommended focus yer attribute points into either STAM or MAG, with a small percentage into health. Consider the skills you select as well... MAG skills on a STAM character will be weak.

Also, farm some skill points and get some of those passives up.
  • PS4_ZeColmeia
    PS4_ZeColmeia
    ✭✭✭✭✭

while this may on it's surface sound like a curt reply, it's actually good advice. NOW is the time to start considering a proper build to be working towards.

Hybrids are not viable (no.. sorry the're crap in the current meta), as the person recommended focus yer attribute points into either STAM or MAG, with a small percentage into health. Consider the skills you select as well... MAG skills on a STAM character will be weak.

I completely disagree. I use staff and ice furnace and do insane damage on any end game content.

Q7RxGQq.jpg

Me with just food buffs. I still need to gold my shoulders and need a divine Molag head. To add, I have 10% + 10537 spell pen.

You have to have a lot of skill points and a lot of tinkering to make a hybrid build but they are completely viable.
    Edited by PS4_ZeColmeia on July 5, 2017 4:34PM
    PSN: ***___Chan (3 _s)
    Hybrid, All-Role NB
  • PS4_ZeColmeia
    PS4_ZeColmeia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP, what are you playing on? If you're on PS4 NA I'll invite you to the guild I'm in, we help new players all the time with gear and builds.
    PSN: ***___Chan (3 _s)
    Hybrid, All-Role NB
  • Vercingetorix
    Vercingetorix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry, there is currently no reason to play ESO right now due to:
    - lack of server stability
    - lack of sustain makes build diversity non-existent
    - monotonous and slow gameplay
    - heavy attacking is the only form of DPS that is allowed in Morrowind
    - zero balance in PvP
    - ineffective and unrequested nerfs as a result of PvP ruin PvE content
    - non-operating group finder
    - ZoS refusing to communicate with player base about the issues ESO is suffering from

Pick your favorite one and uninstall the game for 6 months.
    Edited by Vercingetorix on July 5, 2017 6:21PM
    “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I completely disagree. I use staff and ice furnace and do insane damage on any end game content.

Q7RxGQq.jpg

Me with just food buffs. I still need to gold my shoulders and need a divine Molag head. To add, I have 10% + 10537 spell pen.

You have to have a lot of skill points and a lot of tinkering to make a hybrid build but they are completely viable.

LOL! look at yer build... just look at it! OP is lvl 17!!!! There's no way he can get that gear, etc.

Even so, yer still gimped compared to what you could have if you focused yer timker on one stat.

I'll consider hybrids again when they return softcaps (turning blue waiting).