Maintenance for the week of September 9:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 9

So what secret or interesting areas of the game have you found?

sarbonn
sarbonn
✭✭✭
One of the things I do in most MMOs I play is explore some of the more obscure areas of the game, places that people generally don't go every day, that are often off the beaten path, or sometimes right in front of you but you never even noticed them.

As The Elder Scrolls is known for all sorts of interesting side areas, what are some of the more interesting ones you've come across so far?

I'm still exploring a lot of the maps myself, so my list is still very new, so I'm curious what some of you veterans (or veteran explorers) may have come across.

PS: Please keep the negativity to other threads. My hope is that this actually becomes a bit of a fun thread.
Clueless, but willing to learn.
  • MAEK
    MAEK
    ✭✭✭✭
    I found a fisherman's hut once. It was somewhere in Grathwood, but I don't remeber the exact location. Inside was a journal that told the tale of the fisherman who lived there. In the journal the fisherman mentioned wisps, and I (and probably anyone else who've read the journal) came to the conclusion that he was killed by a wispmother. And what did I find very close to the hut? A wispmother, of course.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    sarbonn wrote: »
    One of the things I do in most MMOs I play is explore some of the more obscure areas of the game, places that people generally don't go every day, that are often off the beaten path, or sometimes right in front of you but you never even noticed them.

As The Elder Scrolls is known for all sorts of interesting side areas, what are some of the more interesting ones you've come across so far?

I'm still exploring a lot of the maps myself, so my list is still very new, so I'm curious what some of you veterans (or veteran explorers) may have come across.

PS: Please keep the negativity to other threads. My hope is that this actually becomes a bit of a fun thread.

Craglorn
    Wrothgar
    Imperial City
    Edited by Xvorg on July 3, 2017 9:14PM
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like some of the notes found by skeletons and dead bodies. One note from someone said he thought treasure was buried under a pillar, and how hard it would be to dig it out... Over next to the pillar, crushed under some fallen rocks is a skeleton with a pick. Definitely worth the time to read everything you find in the game.

For a while I was doing a screen capture of my character either sitting by or lying next to skeletons. Also did a lot of my characters posing with different animals found out in the world.

and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A cave of a necromancer who wrote letters as he gradually lost his marbles.

A location to use presperous gear to farm gold.

A node that always give Columbine or mountain flower

A area where pototoas spawn in bankgorki dungeons. Why is there dinner table or even food in dungeons?

• Sunah
    Sunah
    ✭✭✭
    Al'kir desert, along the northern water line there is a random dead body on one of the rocks. Looks like a mage wielding a great sword who fell from the cliff. Really random but funny.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't find it but we must pay homage to the lost Murcrab. That someone found.
  • Sheey
    Sheey
    ✭✭✭✭
    I found two things close to eachother.

East inside the Altadoon Scroll you'll find a cave, not just a simple one, to get in you need to swim. Perfect spot to farm with Scroll. There is also a lorebook(latter) with a dead skeleton body that says he stealthed in there for long time and he will die soon. So he created this latter.

Addentionally east of Altadoon inside the Temple area you can go on top of the mountain, entrance right befor you see the cave. This spot is amazing you have to be there once ur life.
  • neverwalk
    neverwalk
    ✭✭✭✭
    found a tree-house with a ladder up to it, barely enough room to turn around
  • neverwalk
    neverwalk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Drunkin' orc falling off high wall in Orsinium.
  • Radinyn
    Radinyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sheey wrote: »
    I found two things close to eachother.

East inside the Altadoon Scroll you'll find a cave, not just a simple one, to get in you need to swim. Perfect spot to farm with Scroll. There is also a lorebook(latter) with a dead skeleton body that says he stealthed in there for long time and he will die soon. So he created this latter.

Addentionally east of Altadoon inside the Temple area you can go on top of the mountain, entrance right befor you see the cave. This spot is amazing you have to be there once ur life.

Those are DC soldiers, u can also read that they wanted to leave if DC opened the gate. Poor soldiers.
    Edited by Radinyn on July 4, 2017 5:09AM
  • Sausage
    Sausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vamps dont actually bite, they just suck the blood out of you like a river. ES's way is just thousand time cooler.
    Edited by Sausage on July 4, 2017 5:56AM
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In one of the Morrowind delves is a vampire who's conflicted by a) being a vampire and b) having to feed on the delve inhabitants, evil though they are. But as already mentioned there are some very interesting notes etc. laying around.

x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017.
    Melbourne Australia - the land of Potato Internet.WTB ESO OCEANIC SERVER
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »

For a while I was doing a screen capture of my character either sitting by or lying next to skeletons. Also did a lot of my characters posing with different animals found out in the world.

Do you know how sick that sound? XD maybe just me..
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
  • Golnebo
    Golnebo
    ✭✭✭
    In Alik'r Desert there is a dog sitting by, what I assume, his dead owners grave. Just staring at the gravestone. So sad.
    PC - EU

{Nemesis the Magnificent} - Wannabe Magician with a nack for accidentally killing everything around him - Aldmeri Dominion High Elf Mastercrafter.
    {Knightmare the Wild} - Fiendish Templar Lady with a must kill attitude - Dunmer by birth - EP by choice.
    {Thinks-he-is-Funny} - Tough EP Argonian Dragon Knight. Drinks his ale in Belkarth - Secretly in love with his battlesister Knightmare the Wild. Battlegrounds King.
    {Son-of-a-Witch} - Confused Nightblade who took up the dark arts of black magic. Literally sits in Mournhold all day doing nothing. Dreams of returning to Dragonstar Arena.
    {Eilalenya Alkinaerith} - Strikingly beautiful High Elf of the Aldmeri Dominion - Seducer of men and elves - Learning the Healer ropes. Heals for fun.
    {Blue Bear-y Pie} - Think-outside-the-box Mastercrafter Warden - Enjoys long walks on the beach - Protector of Tamriel's fauna and wildlife - Breton lady.
    {Neopatra} - Grumpy old Veteran - Wreaks havoc in Cyrodill - loves her grandchildren - Redguard Brute. In case of bad mood she turns into a werewolf.
    {Sneaky little Maraya} - Gorgeous Redguard Bombshell - Evil stamsorc who loves to clear dungeons of monsters.
    {Seven of Nirn} - No-nonsense brutal lady-Orc. Always rambling on about the Covenant. Get with it or get out kinda StamSorcOrc.
    {Reeks-of-Incompetence} - Hangs in the balance DK. Studied to become a dentist. Alcohol made her do nothing all day. Argonian Historian.
    {Doctor Whoops} - Self conscious Sorc . Father to 18 children. None of which are anywhere in sight. Proves shield nerfs wrong. Currently doing vDSA.
    {Daisy Deathbringer} - Foul necromancer that likes to hang at funerals and graveyards. Mostly plays with the dead, does not deal much death.
    {Major Defiler} - Lovely necromancer who likes to study life. Puts the word romance in necromance.
    {Cindiana Jones} - Defected Templar. Very deadly in Battlegrounds. Likes to wander around Cyrodill.
    {Sideskirt Bob} - Nightblade who got his nickname when a lady Nord mentioned his waistline.
  • RoyJade
    RoyJade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In one of the Morrowind delves is a vampire who's conflicted by a) being a vampire and b) having to feed on the delve inhabitants, evil though they are.

This one is a big tease from the original Morrowind. His book is the one you use in order to cure vampirism in TES3, but is not finished yet (of course, he's still a vampire for the moment).
    Even more, he reacts if you are yourself a vampire.
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vzzdVGV.jpg

someone singing in this part of Vvardenfell but the place is empty
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

Vasanha
    This one hears nothing. Sees nothing. This one only sweeps.
    desperately need a survey assistant
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Found a cave in Wrothgar hidden behind a waterfall that appears it may have been used by pirates to hide treasure.

There is a note in the middle of a lake in Cyrodiil in the northern part of it detailing a mages attempts to fly. In Shadowfen there is a dead mage with another note briefly detailing how he didn't know how to land once he had taken to the sky.
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In cryo I found a note in AD side cave detailing how someone was hiding from an army.

This note was next to a skeleton, looks like the EP coward was found and zerged down. XD
    Edited by KingYogi415 on July 4, 2017 9:32AM
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found a cave in Wrothgar hidden behind a waterfall that appears it may have been used by pirates to hide treasure.

There is a note in the middle of a lake in Cyrodiil in the northern part of it detailing a mages attempts to fly. In Shadowfen there is a dead mage with another note briefly detailing how he didn't know how to land once he had taken to the sky.

Brilliant!!
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Cyrodiil there are a number of unmarked locations.

Along the south west edge of the map there is a little area you can go where an NPC has hidden themselves away, I found it when exploring empty campaigns back in the day. Was neat to find it tucked away.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • LordSkyKnight
    LordSkyKnight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I met someone a couple years ago and they showed me a mistake is the zone wall in Grahtwood where you could climb through. They have since fixed this area. You were able to climb up the mountain side and leave the play area. It had some really interesting things to see. I have always wondered what is on the other side of blocked off areas in the game and this time I was able to find out. You might still be able to find the old thread that was posted here. I seem to remember the guy who found it posted screenshots of the area over the mountain. Not really pertaining to lore but still neat regardless.
    "And it's important to state that our decision to go with subscriptions is not a referendum on online game revenue models. F2P, B2P, etc. are valid, proven business models - but subscription is the one that fits ESO the best, given our commitment to freedom of gameplay, quality and long-term content delivery. Plus, players will appreciate not having to worry about being "monetized" in the middle of playing the game, which is definitely a problem that is cropping up more and more in online gaming these days. The fact that the word "monetized" exists points to the heart of the issue for us: We don't want the player to worry about which parts of the game to pay for - with our system, they get it all."
    - Matt Firor
  • Myerscod
    Myerscod
    ✭✭✭
    In cyrodiil I cam across a spot where a random ghost appears, walks a little then disappears. Freaked me out the first time I saw it.

Sheogoraths house (I forget which zone). I was a bit upset there wasn't a quest inside or a portal to the shivering isles

"Easter egg" reference to Empire Strikes Back in Broken Helm Hollow
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Myerscod wrote: »
    In cyrodiil I cam across a spot where a random ghost appears, walks a little then disappears. Freaked me out the first time I saw it.

Sheogoraths house (I forget which zone). I was a bit upset there wasn't a quest inside or a portal to the shivering isles

"Easter egg" reference to Empire Strikes Back in Broken Helm Hollow

I've seen that ghost. He does a few different paths. And Sheogorath's House is in Stormhaven.
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • OlafdieWaldfee
    OlafdieWaldfee
    ✭✭✭✭
    Near a wayshrine on Bethnik island is potatoe-heaven. I don´t know why, but there´s a campsite with at least 13-17 potatoes to collect. Baked potatoes.
    The goldmine continues down the coast - a little pier with another batch of taters.
    Strange but lovely.
  • IwakuraLain42
    IwakuraLain42
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    South of the Dwemer delve in Vvardenfell there is a little crevice in the lava flow with a skeleton in it and a ladder leading out of it (in case you drop into it). I'm always wondering why the (former) owner of the skeleton never used the ladder ;-)
  • Jurand80
    Jurand80
    ✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »
    Also did a lot of my characters posing with different animals found out in the world.
    you found any sheep? ;D

edit: Thanks for the thread OP!
    Edited by Jurand80 on July 4, 2017 1:19PM
  • TheNuminous1
    TheNuminous1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Golnebo wrote: »
    In Alik'r Desert there is a dog sitting by, what I assume, his dead owners grave. Just staring at the gravestone. So sad.

I think there is a quest where u reunite the skeleton with the dog and they walk the desert together. Like a living skeleton and a dog walk in around the sands lol
  • Keep_Door
    Keep_Door
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a secret.
  • Insomnia rex
    Insomnia rex
    ✭✭✭
    Just recently got into collecting the lore books in cyrodiil. There are three love letter to find from a man to three different women with an invitation to a picknick. Around the mentioned picknick spots you find zombies so I always thought these were the couples that were meeting there or they got eaten or smthg. However in one spot i found three woman ready to kill a half naked man, because they found out he was dating all three of them. After listening to this mini event, you can even talk to them and convince them to maybe show mercy to him (only with persuade) or leave them with the implication that they together will kill him. I love that this was so random and that there was no quest attached to it, it was just there and got me by surprise :).
    CP630 AR20 PC EU, Alt Mag Sorc AD - Insomnicia Rex
  • Sweet_Cicero
    Sweet_Cicero
    Soul Shriven
    These are delightful! I have just recently started playing the game (Sweet Cicero - Khajiit stamblade, cp145, first char:3) and I'm excited to really get in and explore areas to find things like this!

Post Script: Can anyone direct me to a guide that may help optimize this game for my pc? I have my subsampling set at medium because it gives me an fps improvement but very blurry looking x.x