The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

#1 Should Heals and Damage Shields have a short casting duration?

• Venom4You
    Venom4You
    ✭✭✭
    No because
    Healing/Shields should be instantly available when they are needed in combat - as a measure of reacting to enemy burst this is vital in my opinion. What could be done, is letting healing/shield spamming result in a faster loss of resources by increasing cost when spamming the same heal/shield. That would also grant some meaning to the HoTs in ESO that are so far mostly useless when running a full healer build. So far its BoL/Spring to win. As a result one will still be able to keep spamming for a certain time but won't be an annoying invincible shield stacker/ heal bot which trolls around without dealing dmg.
    Aka Crowley

Member of Zerg Squad (EP/AD - EU)
    Role: Raid Healer
    Main Characters: Majestic Crowley (Warden Healer - EP) / Father Crowley (Templar Healer - AD) / Brother Crowley (Templar Healer - DC)
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No because
    There are plenty of counters to all play types, again don't see what you are trying to achieve,and did you know wards already got nerfed into the ground.

Every build has a counter, or a con side. People assume their build should.be able to do it all and cry for nerfs, incorrect.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes/yes, but
    It shouldn't be possible for someone's health bar to jump from near-dead to full and back and forth. I am for nerfing heals, but boosting health bars significantly, along with damage mitigation. It should make fights last longer without making them infinite. Shields need to be nerfed in small-scale scenarios, and possibly boosted in large fight scenarios (weaker shields but damage from multiple sources reduced, something like that)
  • Hempyre
    Hempyre
    ✭✭✭✭
    No because
    No.

That's what stuns and knockdowns etc.. are for.
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No because
    No, we're good :-)
  • Drummerx04
    Drummerx04
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No because
    This would be terribad.

Really heals and shields do not make people unkillable. More often than not it's a combination of gear and brokenly powerful defensive ultimates. S&B ultimate is probably the best example of "overperforms in pvp." Basically pop S&B ult and you won't die as long as it's up and most of the incoming damage is blockable... or magic projectiles.

A solid 90% of the time, if I have even one decent player in my group, we will have the burst, sustain, and survivability to kill pretty much everyone that you think is unkillable in open field combat because of shield stacking or healing. Exceptions basically being the super tank builds (which are rarely dangerous), or any build that can escape reliably. Line of Sight is an enormous factor is these super "unkillable high dps builds"

Really if ZOS nerfed heals and shields the way you suggest... then I suspect pvp would devolve even more into sieging attackers from the walls of keeps, one shot gank from stealth builds, and tanks. As it stands, a decent number of players will go out and engage an enemy or two because they know that taking a little damage can be remedied/shielded. Without that, going against superior numbers is just suicide even with decent coordination, and raid stealth bombs would probably increase in frequency as well.
    PC/NA - Nightfighters, Raid Leader and Officer
    Lilith Arujo - DC sorc tank/dps/healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, Gryphon Heart, Grand Warlord
    Lilith Tortorici - DC templar trials healer

Notable Completions:
    vAS (72k), vMoL HM (160k), vAA HM (135k), vHRC HM, vSO HM (141k), vHoF HM (168k), vCR+3(129k), vDSA 45k, vMA 591k

Original Addons:
    Lilith's Group Manager
    Lilith's Lazy Hacks - Auto Recharge/Repair
    Bot Scanner 2000
    Lilith's Command History
    Maintained Addons:
    Kill Counter
  • GeorgeBlack
    GeorgeBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes/yes, but
    Heals and Damage Shields are the reason why proc sets are on the rise.
    Both promote no brainer gameplay.
    Just because Heals/Damage Shields work in this manner since the start of the game it doesn't mean that we shouldn't examine them again.

Roll dodge was checked by introducing ever increasing cost per use. Still too strong tho. More needs to be done.
    Stam recovery is being negated when blocking.

I haven't seen any counter to Damage Shield stacking. Btw this ain't a nerf sorc suggestion. All classes have spammable damage mitigation.
    In addition I'd like to see Shuffle removed from the game.

If people notice that the game is going in a bad direction they should look to make changes across all classes

If you thing that the game is in a good place then ye.. post "nope we good"

Don't complain about protards...
    Edited by GeorgeBlack on July 5, 2017 7:16AM
  • Ragnaroek93
    Ragnaroek93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No because
    Btw this ain't a nerf sorc suggestion.

This is a buff Xvs1 suggestion. We duelled some time ago (assuming that your forum name equals your ingame name on PC EU) and I hope that you don't take this as an offense (because it's not meant to be an offense) but you aren't even max CP nor have much PvP experience. I'm pretty sure that you actually don't understand what you are asking for. Heals are pretty weak this patch, shields are strong in duels (maybe a bit too strong) but too weak against more opponents, dodgeroll has so many counters right now that it is also weak, Shuffle got also nerfed (you basically want to remove one of the best 1vX skills as well) and blocking got also nerfed in favour of Xv1 players.
    Smallscale and soloplayers got nerfed enough over the time, stop asking for even more nerfs in favour of zerging and try to improve on this game, it's not difficult at all :rage:
    I used to think that PvP was a tragedy, but now I realize, it's a comedy.
  • GeorgeBlack
    GeorgeBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes/yes, but
    Btw this ain't a nerf sorc suggestion.

This is a buff Xvs1 suggestion. We duelled some time ago (assuming that your forum name equals your ingame name on PC EU) and I hope that you don't take this as an offense (because it's not meant to be an offense) but you aren't even max CP nor have much PvP experience. I'm pretty sure that you actually don't understand what you are asking for. Heals are pretty weak this patch, shields are strong in duels (maybe a bit too strong) but too weak against more opponents, dodgeroll has so many counters right now that it is also weak, Shuffle got also nerfed (you basically want to remove one of the best 1vX skills as well) and blocking got also nerfed in favour of Xv1 players.
    Smallscale and soloplayers got nerfed enough over the time, stop asking for even more nerfs in favour of zerging and try to improve on this game, it's not difficult at all :rage:

I am looking at things objectively.Let's take Shuffle for eg.

Shuffle is a skill which lasts for 18+ seconds at low stamina cost enabling you to mitigate a lot of damage without doing ANYTHING ELSE OTHER THAN ACTIVATING EVERY 18s.

Its idea was based on medium armor stealth assassin. Isn't it ridiculous that more than half of people run Shuffle in their bars?
    A skills such as Shuffle, given that it projects a stealth assassin image should be an exclusive StaminaNB skill, (remove procs, give stamNBs exclusive access to major evasion, experiment with my Execution skills suggestions and there you go, you have a clear identity on stamNB, less annoying because of removal of procs. competitive because of access to unique access to major evasion).

Things should be looked at one by one and how they functions as a part of a system.

Not "oh this skill helps vs zergs. This skill is good"

I hate zergs btw. The make me disco very often.
    In addition if you think that I have biased reasons to make certain classes more OP that's crap. I don't have 9 toons out of which I favour a few.
    I have 7 inrl friends and they all play a Class, except for Warden. I don't want to make one of my mates less OP and the other more OP.

I aim to improve the game. It's PvP state is sorry as and it's PvE is so ez. As soon as my mates reach 600CP and see what's going on in Cyro I don't think that I will be making any more suggestions.
    I just like the game and I want it to become better.
    I don't care about how better sorcs or NBs or Templaras are than my Dragonknight. I don't care about 1vX or zergs and try to buff one playstyle over the other. If we don't improve the game, we won't have a game.

The fact that I don't run meta doesn't mean that I don't have PvP experience.
    In addition I have a constant 399 ping outside of Cyro and 470 inside Cyro with spikes up to 999. Every day since 2015. If I was to move in EU and run a meta build (or at least sloted a BiS weapon 2h or 1h/s and BiS skills such as shuffle rally, stampede) things would be very different. My opinions would be the same 100%. Don't confuse views on game mechanics and the game overall with lack of experience.

@Ragnaroek93

Edited by GeorgeBlack on July 5, 2017 9:18AM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No because
    Since the OP lacks explanation for how his idea would improve combat I do not see the need to add any explanations. Though I will say that with forum poll results being as limiting as they are they do kinda speak for themselves here.

Further, this idea could very well push more players into zerging as it hinders their own self defense. Also, there is already a short duration where the previous shield comes off when refreshing the shield. The caster is completely vulnerable during that short duration. It is very brief, but there. I have see this with my own shield.

Edit: Theee is already a delay for healing. It is the travel time for the heal to travel from the caster to the person being healed. It would be illogical to have a delay for the heal to actually fire off and is something that's clears not needed. I've not seen this in any game as a general mechanic of healing.

Doesn't seem thought through very well. Yes, I read the OP in the other two threads.

OP makes a false assumption that heals ans shields are the reason players use proc sets when the real reason players use them is those proc sets over perform.

OP doesn't seem to be working towards improving the game as much as merely removing active forms of survival to make it harder to survive. That in itself is not an improvement to the game. Really a major step back.
    Edited by idk on July 5, 2017 2:48PM
  • Sallington
    Sallington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No because
    Just make shields crittable. Adding cast times would be dumb.

Heals... major defile w/ befoul CP is a pretty strong counter.
    Edited by Sallington on July 5, 2017 1:24PM
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Sallington - Templar - Stormproof - Prefect II
    Cobham - Sorcerer - Stormproof - First Sergeant II
    Shallington - NightBlade - Lieutenant |
    Balmorah - Templar - Sergeant ||
  • stealthyevil
    stealthyevil
    ✭✭✭
    No because
    Normally I'm pretty nice to people, but this idea is terrible. Oblivion damage exists, cost poisons exist and proc sets exist. Giving light armor wearers a cast time on their main defensive mechanism is just taking a dump all over them.
    Ex-Gf/Steálthy MagNb Destro Spam
    Cliff Racer Spam MagDen Bird Spam
    @stealthyevil

RÁGE RIP
    Venatus
  • GeorgeBlack
    GeorgeBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes/yes, but
    Normally I'm pretty nice to people, but this idea is terrible. Oblivion damage exists, cost poisons exist and proc sets exist. Giving light armor wearers a cast time on their main defensive mechanism is just taking a dump all over them.

Read the other 2 poll topics.

• stealthyevil
    stealthyevil
    ✭✭✭
    No because

Read the other 2 poll topics.

I did.
    Ex-Gf/Steálthy MagNb Destro Spam
    Cliff Racer Spam MagDen Bird Spam
    @stealthyevil

RÁGE RIP
    Venatus
  • DeHei
    DeHei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No because
    If shields and heals has a cast duration just for 0,5sec or 1sec, will only Staminabuilds survive in PvP.. Staminabuild player will only do a bit pressure with dots, and bring it to the end just with interupting every cast.. Isnt skilled gameplay anymore, because the staminaplayer (much wear heavy armor) has damage migation skills like shuffle!
    DeHei - EP Magicka Templar Allrounder
    De Hei(Youtube)
  • HiImRex
    HiImRex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This reminds me of The Culling amazing skillful melee centered pubg-like. it had an incredibly fast rock paper scissor melee system (more like rock paper scissor knife tree), attracted big name streamers and you tubers and wide acclaim from the pvp community.

Then some people started complaining that the combat is too fast because something something slower is more tactical and therefore more skillful etc.

Devs listened and game died almost immediately.
    Edited by HiImRex on July 6, 2017 10:48PM
  • Micah_Bayer
    Micah_Bayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No because
    kuro-dono wrote: »
    Irylia wrote: »
    Mag sorcs would become extinct.
    Shields scale poorly vs increasing number of enemies. Adding a cast time would guarantee they could never leave shield bar until they ultimately died. There ward would also not be able to mitigate long enough for the player to swap bars. Do damage. Swap back and cast time another ward.

Wards for sure would need to be revisited and changed if that implementation were the case.
    HoTs with rng chance is where it's at because Stam classes also have outside options for mitigating or negating incoming damage on top of what I already mentioned.

that there would make minmaxing less trouble in the whole game. magica sorcs, they are super mobile, super dps and highly resistant and their grief/trolling rate is high as ***. its your own choise if you want to trigger herd of zombies to chase you and then you dare to whine about it? sounds very entitled. this is fecking MMO not solo vs rest of the world, or aoe choo choos vs rest of the world.

that means that magica sorcs would have to balance their kit little bit more! NO MORE GOD MODE OMFG I AM IN TEARS MOMMY I CANT ANYMORE SOLO REST OF THE WORLD AND LOOK LIKE POPSTAR.

all thats left to fix here then is nightblades and we have almost balanced pvp environment.
    i mean unkillable tanks should get fixed by this fix aswell right? <3

You sir need to learn to spell. Second of all NB needs a buff? Magicka nb maybe but I'm assuming you're stam. Hell no, play sorc first, they're not op, you're just bad.
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No because
    Sharee wrote: »
    It shouldn't be possible for someone's health bar to jump from near-dead to full and back and forth. I am for nerfing heals, but boosting health bars significantly, along with damage mitigation. It should make fights last longer without making them infinite. Shields need to be nerfed in small-scale scenarios, and possibly boosted in large fight scenarios (weaker shields but damage from multiple sources reduced, something like that)

I do agree that mitigation should be stronger and heals should be weaker, but a cool down isn't the right way to do it.

Just increase the cost of healing abilities or lower their effect.

@NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • Potenza
    Potenza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No because
    shields were already nerfed to 6 seconds. If they put a cast timer on it then the sheild should last much longer.
  • DeHei
    DeHei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No because
    NordJitsu wrote: »

I do agree that mitigation should be stronger and heals should be weaker, but a cool down isn't the right way to do it.

Mate the costs of shields and heals was increased and our sustain is much lower now. What you want? the heals cost allready 1/10 of Magicka when you have arround 40k...
    DeHei - EP Magicka Templar Allrounder
    De Hei(Youtube)
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No because
    DeHei wrote: »

Mate the costs of shields and heals was increased and our sustain is much lower now. What you want? the heals cost allready 1/10 of Magicka when you have arround 40k...

I'm happy with shields. I just would personally prefer that mitigation (including shields) was stronger and heals were weaker. Also wouldn't mind larger health pools. It's totally a personal preference though. I always liked Halo better than Call of Duty because fights lasted longer and you had more chance to recover if you were ambushed. I think it rewards skill over chance.

In ESO it's too easy to get bursted down and fights often don't last long enough. Again, just a personal preference.
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • Drummerx04
    Drummerx04
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No because
    DeHei wrote: »

I'm happy with shields. I just would personally prefer that mitigation (including shields) was stronger and heals were weaker. Also wouldn't mind larger health pools. It's totally a personal preference though. I always liked Halo better than Call of Duty because fights lasted longer and you had more chance to recover if you were ambushed. I think it rewards skill over chance.

In ESO it's too easy to get bursted down and fights often don't last long enough. Again, just a personal preference.

The burst in ESO is not comparable to COD or Halo. Both of those have guaranteed 1-shot pvp weapons.

Having said that, lag and whatnot can be a very serious issue for reacting, but in the non-prime time periods where lag/ping are much more manageable, you'd be surprised what good reflexes can help you survive.

For instance, atm I am a 20k HP 7 light armor magsorc, and I can usually react and survive to typical NB gankers running 2 proc sets, bursting me from stealth while I'm on siege with no shields up (And I'm not running an addon that warns me of incoming attacks).

For cases where 4+ decent players are able to focus down what is essentially a glass cannon build in an open field with procs, ults, snares, roots, CCs, and gap closers... I have to admit that I probably SHOULDN'T be able to survive.

In open world cyrodiil, I have had 1v1 encounters both won and lost that have lasted 5 or less seconds or lasted over 16 minutes and everything in between. There are so many factors such as builds, skill level, terrain (different areas favor different builds), etc that affect the length of fights.

In short, fights last plenty long enough.
    PC/NA - Nightfighters, Raid Leader and Officer
    Lilith Arujo - DC sorc tank/dps/healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, Gryphon Heart, Grand Warlord
    Lilith Tortorici - DC templar trials healer

Notable Completions:
    vAS (72k), vMoL HM (160k), vAA HM (135k), vHRC HM, vSO HM (141k), vHoF HM (168k), vCR+3(129k), vDSA 45k, vMA 591k

Original Addons:
    Lilith's Group Manager
    Lilith's Lazy Hacks - Auto Recharge/Repair
    Bot Scanner 2000
    Lilith's Command History
    Maintained Addons:
    Kill Counter
  • Karm1cOne
    Karm1cOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If people can spam damage, why can't people spam heals or shields?
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No because
    In a game where the interrupt ability has no cooldown you want to introduce a cast time on THE ONLY way of survivability light armor magicka sorcerers and magicka nightblades have in this game? Do you even use your brain when proposing changes like these?
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No because
    PvE would suffer hugely from this, especially vet trial runners. A lot of heals and shields HAVE to be be instant in vet trials due to the large amount of damage the bosses pour out. A cast time for either could easily mean sudden death for most DPS if your healer can't instantly get you back to reasonable health.
    There's ways to counter healing and shields in pvp. A sorc's negate can really screw magicka people over, and major defile also screws people over if they have turbo heals.
    Edited by WuffyCerulei on July 16, 2017 10:32PM
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR