The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Dawnbreaker is Dodgeable

• casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Zer0oo wrote: »
    I think it is fair that you can dodge db since it is an instant damage ulti with no warning like meteor.
    Can we also get some counter to other ultimates? Looking at dragon leap and soul assault
    Shouldn't AOEs always be undodgeable @ZOS_GinaBruno ?

No, only magica aoe are undodgeable.

You must not have been around at the Homestead change. ZOS rolled out a whole set of patch notes (linked above; you can read them for yourself) in which they announced that they thought AOE ultimates should not be dodgeable. Accordingly, they changed several dodgeable AOE ultimates that could be dodged before Homestead, so that after Homestead they could no longer be dodged. These included Dragon Leap and Radial Sweep, and some non-ultimates like Biting Jabs. At the time (before and during Homestead), Dawnbreaker could not be dodged, and the Homestead change to AOE ults simply made other AOE ults work the same way Dawnbreaker always had.

Then in Morrowind, Dawnbreaker mysteriously became dodgeable, a clear step in the opposite direction from what ZOS had told us their intentions for AOE ultimates were. So now no one understands why Gina is saying Dawnbreaker is and always was supposed to be dodgeable (in apparent contradiction to the 2.7 patch notes), and she has now stopped responding to us.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Liofa wrote: »
    Title says it all . I didn't notice until some guy I was dueling with mentioned it . It is an AOE and WAS undodgeable . I didn't see anything in the patch notes about it . This is a gamechanger for stamina users in PvP . I didn't see any threads about it in forums so wanted to throw this here . Clearly not intended and needs a fix .

Sorry if you get a lot of notifications on this post from me. Just want to make sure this gets "fixed"
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Koolio wrote: »
    Title says it all . I didn't notice until some guy I was dueling with mentioned it . It is an AOE and WAS undodgeable . I didn't see anything in the patch notes about it . This is a gamechanger for stamina users in PvP . I didn't see any threads about it in forums so wanted to throw this here . Clearly not intended and needs a fix .

Sorry if you get a lot of notifications on this post from me. Just want to make sure this gets "fixed"

I am happy that this thread is going :) I really want Dawnbreaker to go back to it's former glory ^^
  • Zer0oo
    Zer0oo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »
    You must not have been around at the Homestead change. ZOS rolled out a whole set of patch notes (linked above; you can read them for yourself) in which they announced that they thought AOE ultimates should not be dodgeable. Accordingly, they changed several dodgeable AOE ultimates that could be dodged before Homestead, so that after Homestead they could no longer be dodged. These included Dragon Leap and Radial Sweep, and some non-ultimates like Biting Jabs. At the time (before and during Homestead), Dawnbreaker could not be dodged, and the Homestead change to AOE ults simply made other AOE ults work the same way Dawnbreaker always had.

Then in Morrowind, Dawnbreaker mysteriously became dodgeable, a clear step in the opposite direction from what ZOS had told us their intentions for AOE ultimates were. So now no one understands why Gina is saying Dawnbreaker is and always was supposed to be dodgeable (in apparent contradiction to the 2.7 patch notes), and she has now stopped responding to us.

Just wanted to say that all magica aoe are not dodgeable, while all stamina aoes are dodgeable for none ultimates(Not that o think it is fair). With Homestead update it all became a big mess of unavoidable ultis and i think they changed db to physical from magica damage somewhere in between.
    For the reason of consistency you are right either all aoe ultis should be not dodgeable like they said in the patchnotes or they have to change all other to make them dodge able again.

But i think these discussion shouldn't be made in the bug section.
    Edited by Zer0oo on June 30, 2017 8:47PM
    Ice Furnace: This item set now grants Spell Damage, rather than Weapon Damage for the 4 piece bonus
    - Update 23
  • ZOS_Wrobel
    ZOS_Wrobel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As Gina mentioned, this occurred when we made a fix to have Dawnbreaker check the target's physical resistance instead of spell resistance. Dawnbreaker should not be dodgable and hit all targets in the area.

Thank you to everyone for bringing this issue to our attention. We're working on verifying a fix for the dodge issue.
    Edited by ZOS_GinaBruno on June 30, 2017 9:10PM
    Lead Combat Designer
    Eric Wrobel
    Staff Post
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Wrobel wrote: »
    As Gina mentioned, this occurred when we made a fix to have Dawnbreaker check the target's physical resistance instead of spell resistance. Dawnbreaker should not be dodgable and hit all targets in the area.

Thank you to everyone for bringing this issue to our attention. We're working on verifying a fix for the dodge issue.

Huzzah! Thanks Wrobel!
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wrobel saves the day !

Btw nice appearing after ages of silence. Let's hope that means Wrobel working hard so new sets and ballance changes in Horns of the Reach will be great :smiley:
    Edited by Juhasow on July 1, 2017 2:05AM
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Damnit Wrobel .

giphy.gif

I was enjoying less dawn breakers in the face .
  • eso_lags
    eso_lags
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    posted about this a few times, and also put it in bug reports. Thank god it was getting annoying on my stam sorc.. Hopefully the fix comes to xbox soon after PC. Hopefully.
  • Docmandu
    Docmandu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Fix incoming 2019 after "validation by QACC"
  • Vanthras79
    Vanthras79
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Wrobes!
    Norion Germain - Telvanni Wizard, Covenant Battle Mage, Mage's Guild Magister, Resident of Daggerfall Overlook, Lord of Tel Galen, Psijic Monk, Antiquarian, Breton Scholar, and Traveler.

• Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    josiahva wrote: »
    Dawnbreaker has a pretty small AoE, are you sure they arent just dodge rolling out of the AoE?

Pretty small AoE? You crazy? Its much bigger than you think.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

What about Power Extraction from Nightblade siphoning. This ability has always been also undodgeable. For some reason this changed with dawnbreaker.

Also might i add to make this ability mimic sap essence. Stamina sap tanks need love to!
    Edited by GreenSoup2HoT on July 3, 2017 12:19AM
    PS4 NA DC
  • iTreebeard
    iTreebeard
    Soul Shriven

@Wrobel Also, Power Extraction is dodgeable now as well. I've even had other nightblades avoid power extraction by cloaking, giving me a "miss", which i dont think is intended either considering AOE's are a main counter to cloak. Although I'm not sure if drain power or sap essence have become dodgeable, I might test it out at some point.
    Tertiary Meat™ | OG Elder Trolls™
    Po'ot Zahir (R.I.P. Poot Slap)
  • br0steen
    br0steen
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys, it's actually intended that Dawnbreaker can be dodged; this should always have been the case.

It was not dodgeable before Morrowind , I can say that . But anyways , thanks for info .

Ah, you're right. Sorry about that! We did fix a bug with Dawnbreaker that was allowing it to be dodged in some cases prior to Morrowind, but that was never intended and it should be dodgeable.

@ZOS_GinaBruno

So which one is it? Not to be a prick, but this is why people get upset, and why it seems like employees never actually know what's going on, and why people assume no one at zos actually plays the game.
  • gard
    gard
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This must be what it feels like when you see Bigfoot.
    My wife complains that I never listen to her. (Or something like that.)
    -- I'm a one man smurf zerg!

My ESO addons:
    Midnight - Find out when midnight is so that you can check for ww/vamp spawn.
    Goto - Adds a tab to the map pane allowing you to teleport to a friend, guildmate, or groupmate for free.
  • CalebBlackhand
    CalebBlackhand
    ✭✭✭
    br0steen wrote: »
    Hey guys, it's actually intended that Dawnbreaker can be dodged; this should always have been the case.

It was not dodgeable before Morrowind , I can say that . But anyways , thanks for info .

Ah, you're right. Sorry about that! We did fix a bug with Dawnbreaker that was allowing it to be dodged in some cases prior to Morrowind, but that was never intended and it should be dodgeable.

@ZOS_GinaBruno

So which one is it? Not to be a prick, but this is why people get upset, and why it seems like employees never actually know what's going on, and why people assume no one at zos actually plays the game.

Well, the first quote has a typo / omitted word, logic dictates it "should not be dodgeable". After all, they did fix a bug that made Dawnbreaker dodgeable, since it was never intended to be that way. And with that single word added, both quotes say the same: You shall not dodge the Dawnbreaker - if you can, it's a bug.
  • Own
    Own
    ✭✭✭✭

<3
  • Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Is this getting fixed this update!
  • Own
    Own
    ✭✭✭✭
    Koolio wrote: »
    Is this getting fixed this update!

my first thought after reading the pts patch notes
  • SquareSausage
    SquareSausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ETA?
    Breakfast King
    PS4 EU
  • Rittings
    Rittings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Working as intended" is the only move in the ZoS playbook - surely we've worked that out by now? It's a standing joke in most guilds. If you didn't turn into a werewolf when you hit your ultimate and instead exploded into a billion pieces - each piece requiring a soul gem to resurrect - Zos would STILL claim it to be working as intended...

Take it with a pinch of salt - Zos are just trolling you ;)