Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Group Dungeon and playing with others.

marietjemusic
marietjemusic
Soul Shriven
Hi there!

I was wondering, are group dungeons a big part of the game? I just started out, and I'm at the banished cells in Auridon. But I don't know how to do it on my own, and how do you play with other people? And if you avoid all co- op missions do you miss a lot of the game, I know it's an MMO but in FFXIV it was really a mandatory- you don't get further in the game kinda thing.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Group Dungeons are just another set of content in the game. You can get some nice gear drops from them, and you get a skill point for the first completion. So there is some character progression for running them. There are 4/5 levels for each Group Dungeon, Normal 1, Normal 2, Veteran 1, Veteran 2 and then you can make the final boss harder in the two Vet Modes. I am not entirely sure if all versions award the skill points, but for sure the first Normal 1 and Vet 1 runs give up the SP if you do the Quest for the Dungeon.

Normal 1 mode dungeons are pretty easy and can be solo'd with decent gear and skills, not best, just decent.

Guilds are a great way to learn dungeons, and some guilds are more dungeon focused than others. Pugs through the Group Finder are not at all how to learn dungeons as you generally end up on speed runs and those are no fun to learn with.

I will say that I enjoy doing Group Dungeons with my Guildmates, as we tend to talk about stuff beyond the dungeons. And, we also learn more about the game as everyone tend to share ideas about how to approach stuff.
    Edited by Nestor on June 21, 2017 9:01PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hi there!

I was wondering, are group dungeons a big part of the game? I just started out, and I'm at the banished cells in Auridon. But I don't know how to do it on my own, and how do you play with other people? And if you avoid all co- op missions do you miss a lot of the game, I know it's an MMO but in FFXIV it was really a mandatory- you don't get further in the game kinda thing.

Been playing this game since 2013 beta mostly by myself and almost never did any group dungeons until about a month ago.

It's definitely not mandatory unless you want to get some specific gear set. Even PVP you can play solo, just depends on what kind of activity you enjoy.

If you want to try joining with other people, you can activate the dungeon finder tool to join any random dungeon group, or do one of the daily pledge dungeons.

Edited by IcyDeadPeople on June 21, 2017 10:03PM
  • Jciampi
    Jciampi
    ✭✭✭
    I ran all the way to level 220cp solo. Never did any group content. Then I started trying dungeons. They can be hard. Or easy. Depends on your team. Easy to carry one bad player through norm. But for veteran dungeons you gotta know your stuff.

Either join a guild and run with them or try the activity finder (warning, being DPS may keep you queued for a while as everyone is DPS. Need tanks and healers more). You can meet great people in PUG (pick up groups from activity finder), and people that are toxic. All kinda luck. I became a tank so I could queue in like a minute instead of many. If you meet people in PUG ask if they can invite you to their guild.

Guild mates are the best way to learn it. Just have fun. Seriously. On normal mode of these dungeons and not counting the DLC Ones, it isn't hard. Just pay attention to big red areas of death from bosses. Don't stand in em. Version 2 of dungeons get tricky. More enemies. Harder bosses.

Don't try vet til you are over cp160. Then you can farm the best gear. Vet dungeon can be rough. Cause mechanics play an even larger part and so many bosses have one hit kills that they didn't have in normal mode. So never be afraid to speak up and ask about mechanics of the fight if you don't know. Better to learn before the match than get wiped repeatedly cause you can't figure it out. People can get upset over that. Some bosses like the DLC ones have rough mechanics that one slip up can royally screw you.

But again. Just try to have fun. When things go well. Dungeon crawling is very enjoyable