The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

a tryhard person

Jurand80
Jurand80
✭✭✭✭
i've been called a tryhard 3 times now. what is the meaning of it in mmo's? seems negative. since when?
Edited by Jurand80 on June 21, 2017 5:30PM

a tryhard person 138 votes

positive
15%
CyberOnEsoJoker99ZolronMilwaukeeScottBenzZosTwistedThoughtzkylewwefansneakymitchellAraviel2olivesforgegeonsocalAsardesJimmy_The_Fixertrompok13OkarithGinger_Beaux_02generalmyrickLasinagoldazeeroyo 21 votes
negative
84%
rfennell_ESOSolarikenGilvothWatchYourSixxcrackersamilesrodneymcneely2_ESOSuddwrathdeepseamk20b14_ESOKhivas_Carricklolo_01b16_ESOIruil_ESOTurelusthomas1970b16_ESOCaliguloveAuriellekari-pekka.hamalaineneb17_ESOTriumviriChelostarlizard70ub17_ESOtechnohic 117 votes
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    negative
    I think its supposed to be a negative

its basically a backhanded compliment

instead of someone saying, wow your really good at this particular thing that i myself struggle with they call you a tryhard, because acknowledging that someone is better than you is bad!
  • tonemd
    tonemd
    ✭✭✭✭
    negative
    It's negative. The focus being the word "try".

It's not "succeedhard"
    Edited by tonemd on June 21, 2017 8:59PM
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's the MMO equivalent of older schoolyard insults, like calling someone a "smart aleck" or "know-it-all" because they got an A and you got a C. It isolates a person's advantages and portrays them as deviant or outside the bounds of normalcy.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you having fun OP? If the answer is yes, then screw what anyone else says about you.

If your running group content and holding back the group, then find a group that is willing to teach, learn from them and apply it. Then you can go back to saying screw it to those who insult you again.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather be a "tryhard" than a "giveupandruntotheforumscryingnerf...hard".
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
    Have you seen the Twin Lamps?
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    positive
    ain't nothing bad about hard work and effort...i remember the first time i saw the quote below - it really clicked for me...
    perseverance-the-difference-between-a-successful-person.jpg

Edit: as an aside - you may want to chill a little and go with the flow when playing with others...change your focus on the true objective: to have a good time with others...
    Edited by geonsocal on June 21, 2017 9:13PM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jurand80 wrote: »
    i've been called a tryhard 3 times now

Are you sure they didn't say "try harder" while tea-bagging your corpse?
    idea.gif
    Edited by SirAndy on June 21, 2017 9:12PM
  • WalksonGraves
    WalksonGraves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    negative
    geonsocal wrote: »
    ain't nothing bad about hard work and effort...i remember the first time i saw the quote below - it really clicked for me...

Weak, ignorant and willful is a recipe for disaster not success.
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ideally, the "will" in this situation is the "will" to correct being weak and ignorant, not simply a will to keep doing things the wrong way.
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    positive

well yeah :) ...weak and ignorant are definitely some crappy adjectives...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    negative
    The context in which I know this word clearly has a bad touch.
    Most people I know use it to describe players that try to kill one tanky player and focus so much that they loose track of what's happening around them.
    E.g. when you play ep and see an enemy templar outside arrius. You and our group attack him and chase him when he tries to get away. Just before you reach chalman, you manage to kill him. Then you figure out, that some other dc players successfully sieged arrius while you were busy tryharding that one templar.
    Edited by lolo_01b16_ESO on June 21, 2017 9:44PM
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    negative
    Someone that spends a large amount of time or clearly has gone way outside of the norm to have an advantage outside of just player skill is probably the best definition of someone that would get called a tryhard.

Spending hours or days say grinding out Dawnbreaker, Gold'ing out gear, double slotting resource poisons, ect just for a new character you're taking into the under lvl 50 PvP campaign so you can kill people that aren't going to waste that amount of time and effort on gear that will be irrelevant in a few levels would be a good example.
  • soll
    soll
    ✭✭✭
    negative
    tryhards are:

...players, who ignoring meta and in purpose playing week class, week set up, avoiding cancer cheese builds so hard.
    ...some pvp'ers who are chasing certain players and only them, like they are their Joker for Batman.
    ...some players, who can't admit fail and will hit brick wall constantly, when clearly there is nothing can be done about.
    ... or just the ones who are following difficult ways to achieve anything.

can't call it "good" in anyway.
    EU PC
    I like to heal
    Triggered Tryhards/ HighRisk
    EP – Sollencia
    AD – Sollencia Overdose
    When you've invested time and money into a company, you have the right to be upset over changes that will negatively affect your experience and gameplay.

• exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I guess ill answer this for you OP as apparently no one in this thread actuallu knows what the insult (yes its an insult) generally entails and implies.

The term has non online gaming roots but in regards to the insult used in competitive video games, it is used to label an individual who goes above and beyond acceptable, responsible or sufficient means to achieve a win condition in said game. Essentially expending considerable effort and resources to score a win via overkill.

To use an example scenario in eso where the insult would make sense - you are solo capping a district flag and a group of 5 show up and all of them get the jump on you from stealth with destro ults running. They could accurately be labeled as try hards. Often the insult is used inappropriately though.
  • TheStealthDude
    TheStealthDude
    ✭✭✭✭
    negative
    "Tryhard" is intended to be an insult, usually given by players who either don't understand how or don't care enough to compete with more experienced players. It's basically someone getting mad because another player is better, in either experience or skill or both.

It's probably the most stupid "insult" of the 21st century.
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Tryhard" is a thing people say because it's a vague pun on "Die hard" and has insulting overtones created more by the context in which it's used than for any actual semantic, linguistic or etymological reason.

Nobody actually knows what it means, because it's nonsense.
    Edited by ShedsHisTail on June 21, 2017 11:21PM
  • StormWylf
    StormWylf
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I disagree to this extent, when someone uses the phrase "tryhard" what it really means is HEY LOOK AT ME. I'm an inarticulate arrogant prick, PLEASE put me on ignore.
    Edited by StormWylf on June 22, 2017 1:13AM
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So, here's the thing about naysayers... they're always going to think they're the best and their meta builds are OP. However, you'll have a lot more fun running your builds (and a lot more satisfaction knowing that it's YOUR build). As long as you're not in some sort of competitive, score-seeking Vet Trials guild- enjoy the game!

Just keep the sequels coming:

TryHard: With a Vengeance

Live Free or TryHard

A Good Day to TryHard.
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don't know where these interpretations come from, but its an old word for someone that does everything they can to fit in. Conformism and imitation salted with bobble head agreement. Usually you tell a tryhard to just relax and be themselves.
  • theamazingx
    theamazingx
    ✭✭✭✭
    try-hard-hey-man-wanna-play-tic-tac-toe-lol-dude-its-17830993.png This is the best example of it's use you will find.
  • CTSCold
    CTSCold
    ✭✭✭
    Someone that spends a large amount of time or clearly has gone way outside of the norm to have an advantage outside of just player skill is probably the best definition of someone that would get called a tryhard.

Spending hours or days say grinding out Dawnbreaker, Gold'ing out gear, double slotting resource poisons, ect just for a new character you're taking into the under lvl 50 PvP campaign so you can kill people that aren't going to waste that amount of time and effort on gear that will be irrelevant in a few levels would be a good example.

This is the best example on here in my opinion. The only place I've heard it used is in BWB (kyne) in reference to someone who, as mentioned by two hot hardware, grinds out dbos, grinds out sets for every few levels in the right traits, golds there sub 50 gear just to dominate in BWB. Also 'sweaty' is used to imply your trying harder than others.
  • Insomnia rex
    Insomnia rex
    ✭✭✭
    negative
    Jurand80 wrote: »
    i've been called a tryhard 3 times now. what is the meaning of it in mmo's? seems negative. since when?

PC EU's @Jurand80?
    CP630 AR20 PC EU, Alt Mag Sorc AD - Insomnicia Rex
  • O_LYKOS
    O_LYKOS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see it as someone who takes everything possible in a game that is the best to do their best. Thus "trying hard" to be the best.

Basically people who aren't as good as you will call you a try hard for trying your best. Same people who claim it's "just" a game and question why you take it so seriously yet play all day every day themselves lol
    PC NA - GreggsSausageRoll
    Xbox NA - CinnamonRoll266
  • Rahotu
    Rahotu
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know where these interpretations come from, but its an old word for someone that does everything they can to fit in. Conformism and imitation salted with bobble head agreement. Usually you tell a tryhard to just relax and be themselves.

That's about the best definition of tryhard I've seen,and the saying has been around since well before Bruce was flirting with Cybil,so it has nothing to do with the die hard movies...
  • olivesforge
    olivesforge
    ✭✭✭✭
    positive
    I consider any insult a compliment. Considering that the worst thing in life is to be unnoticed. Yes I would prefer to be "hatefully remembered."
    perseverancedemotivator.jpeg?v=1416776286
    PCNA | Aldmeri Dominion
    OlivesForge / Swiss Army Templar | Twink of Insanity / Gankblade | Olivesisnotonfire / Annoying Sorc | E. Angus / Magicka Pigeon-Thrower | K. Angus / Stamina Pigeon-Thrower
    Personage of note in:
    Dominant Dominion | Ethereal Traders Union | Knights of the Istari | CoC | Cyrodiil FG
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    positive
    Well if the result is positive then it's a compliment. It's the opposite of the player who posts here complaining about content difficulty, asking it to be nerfed and disparaging the 'elitists' who try to give him useful advice. There are actually players who persist in their mistakes using inadequate gear, skills and strategy, losing badly as a result while criticising people who achieved far more. Referring to such people as 'tryhard' is clearly negative.

Ex.positive tryhard is a person who spends 6h in a DLC vet dungeon, learning the mechanics and finally beating it while a negative one is a person who dies repeatedly while failing the same mechanics, learning nothing in the process and rejecting or ignoring advice. I'm one of the former but I've seen quite a few of the latter.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • StormWylf
    StormWylf
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's interesting the things we can argue about. I think we can all agree it is a madeup word, not contained in a normal traditional dictionary. But I did look it up and found:
    1. The Wiktionary states:
    tryhard (plural tryhards)
    (derogatory) A person usually of little talent who tries hard to succeed, especially through imitation, usually to gain fame or popularity.

2. The Urban Dictionary states
    Top definition
    try-hard
    A person who puts a large amount of effort into achieving a certain image, or counter-image, to the point where it is obviously contrived. Rather than achieving an image through genuine personality, the try-hard consciously attempts to fit a certain style through deliberate imitation, forced style, or scripted behavior. That is to say, he/she is trying hard to create an image.
    Examples: An affluent, suburban dweller who makes great efforts to cover himself in tattoos and piercings; try-hard.

A person who wears certain items of clothing for the express intention of appearing "non-conformist", and flaunts it; try-hard.

Someone who purchases a motorcycle only to appear as a "bad-boy"; try-hard.

A person who shuns certain genres or styles of music or art simply because it does not fit his self-image, or the image he wants to portray; try-hard.

I submit, it is a derogatory term, and I stand by my previous definition.

• Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    negative
    I
    StormWylf wrote: »
    It's interesting the things we can argue about. I think we can all agree it is a madeup word, not contained in a normal traditional dictionary. But I did look it up and found:
    1. The Wiktionary states:
    tryhard (plural tryhards)
    (derogatory) A person usually of little talent who tries hard to succeed, especially through imitation, usually to gain fame or popularity.

2. The Urban Dictionary states
    Top definition
    try-hard
    A person who puts a large amount of effort into achieving a certain image, or counter-image, to the point where it is obviously contrived. Rather than achieving an image through genuine personality, the try-hard consciously attempts to fit a certain style through deliberate imitation, forced style, or scripted behavior. That is to say, he/she is trying hard to create an image.
    Examples: An affluent, suburban dweller who makes great efforts to cover himself in tattoos and piercings; try-hard.

A person who wears certain items of clothing for the express intention of appearing "non-conformist", and flaunts it; try-hard.

Someone who purchases a motorcycle only to appear as a "bad-boy"; try-hard.

A person who shuns certain genres or styles of music or art simply because it does not fit his self-image, or the image he wants to portray; try-hard.

I submit, it is a derogatory term, and I stand by my previous definition.

I sure as heck never heard it used positively
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • F7sus4
    F7sus4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    negative
    Tryhards try really hard (but usually mostly still fail).
  • Lieblingsjunge
    Lieblingsjunge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    negative
    Only times I've seen it used is for people who chases you down outnumbered in PvP.
    Like when you're having a 1v2 or a 1v3, and then suddenly you spot more people so you have to kite. Then if people chase you all the way from Arrius Farm > Kingscrest > Chalman. Those are usually considered tryhards. Because they'll tryhard you to the end of Cyrodiil.

Now I don't PUG dungeons or anything so I got no clue how it's in PvE.
    Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny.
    PC - EU.
    Lieblingsjunge(AD) - Racechanged Argonian :< | AR 50 - No double AP or Bleakers involved |
    Sits-On-Cacti(DC) - Problem?
    Fail-With-Tail(AD) - Healing Springs-spammer :<
    Tiny Liebs(EP) - Very Tiny. Also heals.
    Lieblingsmädchen(DC) - Magplar is love.
    The Dominàtrix(AD) - Chains, whip, whip, whip.
    Fluffy Furball Kitten(DC) - Kittycat, meow.
    Your Face(EP) - People make bad jokes about my name =(
    Liebs-With-Trees(AD) - Male argo with a big tail :>

Officer/Sandwitch of Zerg Squad
    My title: The Maneater, Destroyer of Maneuvers, Bane of Potatoes, she who devours them, The Black Hole, the humorless, first of her name.