Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Maelstrom Arena question

IdesofMarch2
IdesofMarch2
✭✭
I am around 429 CP have some gear that's decent but no major sets or anything like that. Should I even bother going into the MA or is it mainly for endgame characters. I wanted to try it out but I am confused if it is only for top tier players.
Runs with the A.D.
Xbox One
PC N/A
Magicka Sorc
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Maelstrom Arena on normal mode is just fine for players without endgame gear. Go for it! It will give you a chance to learn some of the mechanics of the veteran version without the difficulty of vet.

Veteran maelstrom arena isn't as gear-dependent as some players seem to think, but you will definitely want complete sets of high-quality gear. And a lot of patience.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • IdesofMarch2
    IdesofMarch2
    ✭✭
    Thank you Casparian, I will give it a try on Normal mode. Do you only get drops after you beat the whole thing? Or do you get some gear as you go.
    Runs with the A.D.
    Xbox One
    PC N/A
    Magicka Sorc
  • Pepper8Jack
    Pepper8Jack
    ✭✭✭
    Technically, CP 160 is endgame as that's the highest level gear can drop. That said, CP 300 is when a character is at its max resources and is usually when most people recommend attempting VMA for the first time.

My personal opinion is that waiting until you are at max CP will only serve to discourage you from completing the content. You will die. A lot. On your first few attempts. Going in as a "maxed-out" character and experiencing that for the first time leaves a lot of people convinced that VMA is impossible.

I recommend getting in there and taking a stab at it as soon as you have CP 160 gear so that you can start learning the mechanics and spawns. Then when you inevitably get frustrated, walk away for a bit. Work on other ways to improve your character, and come back another day. Ultimately, VMA comes down to how well you learn the mechanics and memorize the spawn orders, and being CP 630 won't help if you haven't taken the time to do that.
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you Casparian, I will give it a try on Normal mode. Do you only get drops after you beat the whole thing? Or do you get some gear as you go.

You get a gear drop after each round. But Maelstrom weapons do not drop in normal mode. (I believe the sets that drop are Winterborn, Permafrost, Para Bellum, Elemental Succession, Hunt Leader, and Glorious Defender.)
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • IdesofMarch2
    IdesofMarch2
    ✭✭
    Technically, CP 160 is endgame as that's the highest level gear can drop. That said, CP 300 is when a character is at its max resources and is usually when most people recommend attempting VMA for the first time.

My personal opinion is that waiting until you are at max CP will only serve to discourage you from completing the content. You will die. A lot. On your first few attempts. Going in as a "maxed-out" character and experiencing that for the first time leaves a lot of people convinced that VMA is impossible.

I recommend getting in there and taking a stab at it as soon as you have CP 160 gear so that you can start learning the mechanics and spawns. Then when you inevitably get frustrated, walk away for a bit. Work on other ways to improve your character, and come back another day. Ultimately, VMA comes down to how well you learn the mechanics and memorize the spawn orders, and being CP 630 won't help if you haven't taken the time to do that.

Ok, I'll give it a go. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Runs with the A.D.
    Xbox One
    PC N/A
    Magicka Sorc
  • Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did normal maelstrom as stamina warden with lvl 10 ww, I stayed in ww form for like 70% of the entire arena, at level 37 was around lvl 40 when I came out and no deaths :)

Before that I did it at level 13 - level 16 with 2hander critical rush nearly one shot every mob :)

what im saying is, when u know the mechanics of the arena, normal mode is a breeze
  • IdesofMarch2
    IdesofMarch2
    ✭✭
    Artemiisia wrote: »
    I did normal maelstrom as stamina warden with lvl 10 ww, I stayed in ww form for like 70% of the entire arena, at level 37 was around lvl 40 when I came out and no deaths :)

Before that I did it at level 13 - level 16 with 2hander critical rush nearly one shot every mob :)

what im saying is, when u know the mechanics of the arena, normal mode is a breeze

Gotcha, level 40??? how many levels are there lol. did you get anything good out of it?
    Runs with the A.D.
    Xbox One
    PC N/A
    Magicka Sorc
  • Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Gotcha, level 40??? how many levels are there lol. did you get anything good out of it?

lol I mean real level :D

the place has 9 stages
  • IdesofMarch2
    IdesofMarch2
    ✭✭

lol I mean real level :D

the place has 9 stages

Oh shite lol I should have figured that out lol
    Runs with the A.D.
    Xbox One
    PC N/A
    Magicka Sorc