Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Physical Resistance and Reduced Physical Damage

Easily_Lost
Easily_Lost
✭✭✭✭✭
Can anyone tell me the difference between Physical Resistance and Reduced Physical Damage?
In the CP menu the Physical Resistance is a number and Reduced Physical Damage is a percentage. Which one does more to protect my character.
PC - NA - AD
started April 2015
PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/279426/damage-mitigation-explanation-updated-for-morrowind-new-calculator/p1

Read this, it should tell you all you need to know in terms of lowering damage taken, and the different sources for doing so.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the other post is maybe more infomthat you wanted, lol. You're asking about the difference in red CPs between Hardy (reduces physical damage by XX%) and XX Armor Focus, which increased physical resistance by a wonky large number (because there's no set amount of total physical resistance, it can't be a percent).

Let's pretend like you're about to take a hit for 10,000 damage.

Think of it like this - hardy and elemental defender (stam and magic) reduce incoming damage at the source. If you have a 20% reduction buff, that damage drops to 8,000 and then goes through the various calculations based on your armor, buffs, debuffs, etc in order to derive a final damage value, say 6650 (utterly pulled from thin air).

If you buff physical resistance instead, the incoming damage is still 10,000, but when it goes through all the calculations more of it is mitigated because your resistance is higher, let's say this hits for 7200.

As a general rule, it's always better to focus on champion points that start at the source rather than ones that affect the calculation. Hardy lowers damage at the source. Mighty increases physical damage at the source. Those are stronger lines. However, champion points now have much higher diminishing returns. The 99th point in Hardy offers a teeeeeeeeeeny buff. That point is probably better spent elsewhere.

So, to sum up, Hardy and Elemental defender are stronger than armor focus. The current Morrowind meta builds have about 55 points in hardy, elemental defender, then also thick skinned to reduce DOTs. The expert builds don't tend to invest any in resistance. But with my personal respecs, I do put a few in them...I spread the last 40 points around in areas where that character is weak

. Alcasthq.com is a good build,guide...the CPs he chooses are usually the best. although I choose more differently than his Morrowind allocations than I have in the past. Not a lot...just some of the lines he invests heavily in, and I find better uses for some of the later points.
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks davey1107, that's what I was looking for.
    PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
    Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
    Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
    Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.