Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Question: Skill Resetting

TimeDazzler
TimeDazzler
✭✭✭✭✭
Does skill resetting also reset the experience that I've gained with a skill? For example, my incapacitating strike morph is level IV, when I reset will I have to gain the exp and morph again?
PC NA
Characters:
Aldmeri Dominion Champion - Stamina Warden - AD
Tımë Ðâzzłër - Magicka Nightblade - AD
Ðazzler - Stamina Arcanist - AD
Sugar Deady - Magicka Necromancer - AD
Sprint v X - Stamina Sorcerer - EP
Tımë Ðâzzlër Ðk - Stamina Dragonknight - EP
Tımë Ðâzzłêr - Stamina Templar - DC
Time Dazzler - Magicka Warden - DC
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES... sometimes.

For example, POISION ARROW and its morphs were "re-ordered" as part of HOMESTEAD... resetting skill points will removal ALL XP from this skill. Other skills may be affected as well.

ZOS needs to answer for/address this.
  • TimeDazzler
    TimeDazzler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm ok, for now I will hold off on my reset until this is fixed/addressed. Thanks for the info!
    PC NA
    Characters:
    Aldmeri Dominion Champion - Stamina Warden - AD
    Tımë Ðâzzłër - Magicka Nightblade - AD
    Ðazzler - Stamina Arcanist - AD
    Sugar Deady - Magicka Necromancer - AD
    Sprint v X - Stamina Sorcerer - EP
    Tımë Ðâzzlër Ðk - Stamina Dragonknight - EP
    Tımë Ðâzzłêr - Stamina Templar - DC
    Time Dazzler - Magicka Warden - DC
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Cries
    Please don't worry about what Quebra said. The only time this has been an issue is when ZOS has changed early skills to be later in the skill tree, meaning they end up needing more xp to level back up. It's unlikely to happen again as they've already reworked most of the skill lines to how they want them. You should feel totally comfortable to reset your skill points to try out different morphs, etc. It's an important thing to do, especall earlier in the game when you don't have that many points to spread around or haven't settled on a particular morph as your favorite. It's also worth leveling up both morph versions in case you ever want to switch down the line.
  • RobbieRocket
    RobbieRocket
    ✭✭✭
    As most have said here, you should feel comfortable to reset your skills and swap them about. They do not lose progress.

If, for example you play all of...

PvP: Cyrodiil - group size 24
    PvP: Imperial City - group size 4
    Battleground - group size 4 (vs 2 other groups)
    PvE: Trials - group size 12
    PvE: Dungeons - group size 4
    PvE: Questing - solo

You will certainly need to re-slot and move skills (a lot of people swap character even), to gain the best possible ability at the role you play.

I play a Healer - one character but with skill swapping I can perform in ALL the above roles from very effective to quite effective. Having an alternate character may make the swapping quicker or easier but I have the scenario that within less than a minute I can swap an armor set and 1-3 skills and suddenly I am quite effective in a different setting.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The system will always remember the xp earned to get an ability from unlock to morph. You can never undo this...the character will "remember" their xp on that ability forever, even if you recast and ditch it and come back to it months later.

Also, the system remembers the leveling for BOTH paths of a morph. If I morph Uppercut into Dizzying Swing and level it to, say, rank three, then decide to re-morph over to wrecking blow, all that leveling I did on Dizzying Swing is saved. If I morph back to Dizzy Swing some day, it'll be right where I left off.

You're a Nightblade. Most of your class morphs go down a specific line depending on if you're stamina or magic. And usually a morph is entirely obvious which you should take, or the distinction is tiny and you can take either and be okay. But feel free to recast and level and experiment with multiple variations. Recasting morphs is pretty cheap, even when the special discount period ends.