Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Option to turn off or adjust spell particle visuals... Would be a nice feature to have.

Kildayen
Kildayen
✭✭✭✭✭
I logged into my old EQ account the other day so I could do some reminiscing. I was a GM in that game and have so many awesome memories. While in the game I was reminded of a cool option you had for graphics adjustments when it came to spell particles. You could:

- turn off all spell particles
- turn off everyone else's spell particles and just display your own
- reduce the amount of spell particles displayed
- reduce the amount of spell particles displayed based on distance

I do not have any issues with running this game at ultra anything, but I imagine it could help others who might have trouble. This could also be very help for those who have issues in trial situations where they cannot see everything being cast because of so much going on. Not an issue for me, although it would be a nice option. I just wanted to throw the idea out there to see what others thought. I'm not trying to dumb down the game either, so hush your mouth if you think so lol.

I wonder how hard it would be for them to implement something like this. @ZOS_GinaBruno
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would like the option to display only my ground effects. I'm sure it would help us console plebs with performance in trials.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We must be talking consoles? PC already has these options.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buuuuuut... the pretty fireworks
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • HEXENWOLF
    HEXENWOLF
    ✭✭✭
    I wholeheartedly support this. It is so hard to see what is going on in a party of people. (Console)
  • Kildayen
    Kildayen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »

PC has these options? No. PC has "Maximum Particle Systems" and "Particle Suppression Distance" but nothing specifically for spell visuals. What PC version do you play on that has these?

And eww, why would I play on console? PC MASTER RACE!
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My biggest beef with spell particles is that, as a Nightblade, most of my visuals are black and red so they really blend into everything else. Makes it feel like I'm not contributing much because I can't see my effects through all the fire and explosions and lightning and stuff.
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
    Have you seen the Twin Lamps?
  • Zalicius
    Zalicius
    ✭✭✭
    Kildayen wrote: »
    I logged into my old EQ account the other day so I could do some reminiscing. I was a GM in that game and have so many awesome memories. While in the game I was reminded of a cool option you had for graphics adjustments when it came to spell particles. You could:

- turn off all spell particles
    - turn off everyone else's spell particles and just display your own
    - reduce the amount of spell particles displayed
    - reduce the amount of spell particles displayed based on distance

I do not have any issues with running this game at ultra anything, but I imagine it could help others who might have trouble. This could also be very help for those who have issues in trial situations where they cannot see everything being cast because of so much going on. Not an issue for me, although it would be a nice option. I just wanted to throw the idea out there to see what others thought. I'm not trying to dumb down the game either, so hush your mouth if you think so lol.

I wonder how hard it would be for them to implement something like this. @ZOS_GinaBruno

I'd also like to lower spell visuals. Especially for trials. Sometimes it's difficult to notice whether or not you're standing in a red zone. I'm sure it would also help greatly in reducing lag in trials.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

PC has these options? No. PC has "Maximum Particle Systems" and "Particle Suppression Distance" but nothing specifically for spell visuals. What PC version do you play on that has these?

An option to turn them off is like asking for another way to animation cancel.

The visual has to occur in a world as it's not a single player game even if you play alone mostly.
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would sit here and click agree on this for the rest of the day if it would get it considered by the dev team. In trials I have an extremely hard time following what is going on when 8 people are throwing ground effects in every direction, 2 healers are bombing the area with bright flashy circles, meanwhile I'm over here trying to attack weave at less than 10 FPS while not standing in stupid that I usually cannot see fast enough to move out of.

This has become more of an issue with the introduction of Halls of Fabrication where boss mechanics are more important than ever. Also some kind of loading priority in this game would be REALLY nice.. I do not really need to see the 40 people at a dolmen (and their bears) who are not in my group, like.. at all. I would rather see the mobs please.
    Edited by Caligamy_ESO on June 15, 2017 1:05AM
    love is love
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to be able to see shards/orbs.
  • Lieblingsjunge
    Lieblingsjunge
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The visual has to occur in a world as it's not a single player game even if you play alone mostly.

Not really. I'll mention BDO in this case. Option to turn off player's effects, especially for large scaled world boss fights. (if I'm not mistaken). Lowering the number of visuals will greatly help low-end PC's performance. Which is a setting ESO is lacking imo. Sure, there's "low" quality but that's not really *that* efficient to help out low-end PCs. I don't have the issues myself, but I know people who greatly struggles in boss-fights etc.(Obviously this should not be possible in Cyrodiil / BGs, as you would need to see your enemies/Allies' skills.
    Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny.
    PC - EU.
    Lieblingsjunge(AD) - Racechanged Argonian :< | AR 50 - No double AP or Bleakers involved |
    Sits-On-Cacti(DC) - Problem?
    Fail-With-Tail(AD) - Healing Springs-spammer :<
    Tiny Liebs(EP) - Very Tiny. Also heals.
    Lieblingsmädchen(DC) - Magplar is love.
    The Dominàtrix(AD) - Chains, whip, whip, whip.
    Fluffy Furball Kitten(DC) - Kittycat, meow.
    Your Face(EP) - People make bad jokes about my name =(
    Liebs-With-Trees(AD) - Male argo with a big tail :>

Officer/Sandwitch of Zerg Squad
    My title: The Maneater, Destroyer of Maneuvers, Bane of Potatoes, she who devours them, The Black Hole, the humorless, first of her name.
  • Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Not really. I'll mention BDO in this case. Option to turn off player's effects, especially for large scaled world boss fights. (if I'm not mistaken). Lowering the number of visuals will greatly help low-end PC's performance. Which is a setting ESO is lacking imo. Sure, there's "low" quality but that's not really *that* efficient to help out low-end PCs. I don't have the issues myself, but I know people who greatly struggles in boss-fights etc.(Obviously this should not be possible in Cyrodiil / BGs, as you would need to see your enemies/Allies' skills.

FFXIV also implemented this along with loading priorities of group members and bosses over outside fighters back in.. 2013. In an MMO with large scale fighting it is silly and an outright oversight to not have it.
    love is love
  • Sheva I 7 I
    Sheva I 7 I
    ✭✭✭✭
    big problem with these is is how in end of trial, if some use an event firework that was save from past celebration holiday of eso, party cant see and maybe person who save this firework would be sad so idk maybe other fix? i think is fine for now, but who knows so many thing changed now that maybe this the answer to good templar build if cant see rune focus anymore?
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

FFXIV also implemented this along with loading priorities of group members and bosses over outside fighters back in.. 2013. In an MMO with large scale fighting it is silly and an outright oversight to not have it.

This isn't either of those games.

And by intent it's never suppose to be large scale .......more important, this isn't either of those games due to the combat being more live action and almost no call and response. As such you must have the visuals which is why I mention animation
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • basketcaseNZ
    basketcaseNZ
    ✭✭
    I'm on PS4 and in addition I would love to be able to turn off messaging effects primarily the block graphic.
  • Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

And by intent it's never suppose to be large scale .......more important, this isn't either of those games due to the combat being more live action and almost no call and response. As such you must have the visuals which is why I mention animation

Please explain to me how you think FFXIV is not live action combat heavy on skill visuals and cues? How was ESO not designed for large scale battles by intent? Where are you getting your information at? These are of course rhetorical questions..
    In an interview with Matt Firor:
    More recent MMOs have been figuring out how to fold event spontaneity into their exploration/loot hunt/leveling games. How dynamic and mutable is ESO (as opposed to scripted) as you move through the world?
    We have a couple of different types of spawning content in the world. We have our Dark Anchors, which are large-group-based open world encounters where you and your friends take on allies of the big bag guy, Molag Bal. We also have miniature versions of those (Dark Fissures) that are solo-able as well as other randomly spawning encounters at various points around the world. When you add that to the exploration content we have (treasure chests, skyshards, mini-dungeons, etc.) as well as our really in-depth questing system, there’s a ton to do in the game.

ESO has a huge advantage over other startup MMOs in that it's built on a successful franchise, but how are you handling sustainability post-launch? What sort of content rollout schedule should players expect?
    We have been working on post-launch content for many months now – our first post-launch package, Craglorn, is our first Adventure Zone. It introduces Trials, a large-group competitive PvE endgame, four-man Veteran Dungeons, a Death Recap screen so you can see who or what killed you, and an entire overworld designed for groups. While the content packages we have will range in feature sets, Craglorn illustrates the kind of commitment we have to providing regular content to our players. Over time, you’ll get new systems, new zones, new quests, stories, and lots more.
    https://youtu.be/tK1fOsCLXxY?t=1m14s
    love is love
  • Path
    Path
    ✭✭✭✭

Slightly confused here. Generally, how the effect is perceived is machine based. So, if I had the option to turn off particles, I wouldn't see mine or any other players however, it wouldn't effect a player with particles turned on.

If not, what am I missing?
    Fairy Tales Really Do Come True...Kinda.
  • Lake
    Lake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Action-combat TERA allows this too.
  • Nyghthowler
    Nyghthowler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been requesting this every so often since Beta. I have M.S. and it has affected my vision. All the flashy disco lights really cause mild discomfort to migraines and dizziness after a time.
    I'm not prejudiced; I hate everyone equally !
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    We don't even request , why particles effect is added , omg !
  • FleetwoodSmack
    FleetwoodSmack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, kinda seeing 1000 Liquid Lightnings or so many spell effects that I can't even see where NOT to stand in.
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies!
  • Anlace
    Anlace
    ✭✭✭
    If it would keep my entire screen from being filled with Blue Betty glow, I'm in.
    Templar - Warden - Sorc
    all magicka all the time
  • Oakmontowls_ESO
    Oakmontowls_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anlace wrote: »
    If it would keep my entire screen from being filled with Blue Betty glow, I'm in.

Why are you playing in first person in the first place?
    Edited by Oakmontowls_ESO on June 15, 2017 4:39AM
  • Anlace
    Anlace
    ✭✭✭

I'm not! lol

Is it really just me? If it's dark at all and I call up Betty, so much glow. Like dragging around a neon sign.
    Templar - Warden - Sorc
    all magicka all the time
  • Zalicius
    Zalicius
    ✭✭✭

No, that's not how it works. We are simply asking for a way to tone down the spell visuals. I'm really surprised they haven't done this a lot sooner. It could reduce so much lag.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

If we "must" have the visuals then why are they sometimes missing??
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I'm not! lol

Is it really just me? If it's dark at all and I call up Betty, so much glow. Like dragging around a neon sign.

It's not just you, I thought they would've toned down the Blue Betty glow when I saw it on PTS, it is pretty intrusive on the screen.
    love is love