Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Need help on improving and completing my beginner magicka templar build

Bbsample197
Bbsample197
✭✭✭✭
so in my last post i seek advice on how to build my magicka templar ive come to a conclusion and currently im using a crit based set which i grew a fond of while building it, so here it is i have

5 pc julianos (4 pc armor, 1 sword/inferno staff)
5 pc mother's sorrow (3 pc jewelry, 1 pc armor and 1 pc sword)
2 grothdarr monster set
all mundus trait except for the shoulder

im running 6 light and 1 heavy set up, in my back bar i have the full set effect of julianos and mother's sorrow, on the back bar i have full effect julianos and 4pc effect mother's sorrow, i enchant my jewelry with spell dmg,magicka recovery and reduce spell cost. and my armor with mostly magicka enhancement with two health enhancement.

so here's my problem:
1. the thing is i still dont feel like doing enough dps, should i sacrifice my two health glyph and make them magicka (by doing so will grant me 17k hp instead of 19k with food).
2. one of my main problem is... im having sustain problems i always running out of magicka, maybe because of my rotation and all i tried to put heavy attack here and there, i still need a practice, is there any advice on what rotation i could use, maybe something that I could still deal damage, sustain and be alive most of the time? im at lost at this one.
3. should i put three spell damage glyph on my jewelry?
4. my crit is only around 76.6% on my primary bar and 69% on my back bar (running theif mundus) is this enough for a normal and veteran dgn, my spell damage on my primary bar is 1700 and around 1500 on my back bar is this also enough?
5. i have 19k hp 36 magicka and 9k stamina with food buff, should I sacrifice my health to gain more magicka?
6. lastly i need help on my cp building since the only build i know on cp is still the homestead update patch, i recently learned that the cp system has changed since morrowind, or am i wrong?

PS. is my gear set up worth improving to gold or should I just hold on to my tempers, and tannins
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what you've provided, this is a solid build. There's some gaps in what we know to offer advice (skills slotted, total cp) but I can start with a few tips. You sound like you're in the zone where the character just needs minor homing. Let's hone.

Gear quality

Unless your account is rich, play with purple until you're very comfortable w the gear and build. Each piece of armor you upgrade to gold makes you very slightly more powerful. The overall effect is notable, but not extreme. If the build has problems in purple gear, it's not going to get over them in gold so you want to troubleshoot these first. The exception is weapons. The upgrade in power from purple to gold is big, so feel free to upgrade these. That'll help with your dps...it'll be something like a 15% boost. And if you waste 8 rosin...meh...they're not that hard to earn.

Champion Points

I don't want to reinvent the wheel here. Alcasthq.com keeps his builds up to date. I usually concur 95% with his CP allotments. Use his guide as a starting point, then adjust slightly to fit your play style. Never block? Then don't spend in that line even if he does...find something you do use.

Buffs

You don't list your skills, no I'm not sure what your situation is with major sorcery and major prophecy. Obviously you want to try to keep these up via entropy, mage light, reflective light or pots. I hate potion management, lol, so I tend to front bar reflective light and back bar entropy.

Dual wield

You've got the dw for the power....good. And obviously this gets you a second set. This can make resource management a little tougher since you're not going to get magic back on threading. That's the sacrifice of a dw magplar.

Too much crit?

So you get more crit chance at the expense of other things. You've filled up 4 of 8 "minor armor buffs" and 1 of 2 major armor buffs and your Mundus with crit chance. Hmm. The math indicates that as you go higher in crit chance, it's sort of a declining return on investment. You might be losing power. To illustrate, let's consider two magplar choosing between the thief (11% more crit chance) and the shadow (12% more crit damage). The first is not a crit build and has a lower base Critical:

10,000k base damage x crit probability x crit multiplier
    Thief: 10,000 x .40 x .50 = 2000 crit damage
    Shadow: 10,000 x .29 x .62 = 1798

The low crit build benefits by choosing crit chance over crit damage. Now let's look at a build more like yours, a crit build:

Thief: 10,000 x .75 x .5 = 3750
    Shadow: 10,000 x .64 x .62 = 3968

The high crit build is actually putting out less dps by pushing more resources into crit chance over damage. This is a simplified example where you're choosing between to very specific buffs, but the bottom line is that around 60% crit chance the benefits of even more start to fall short of the benefits of other choices. (Also, if your crit stats are without major prophesy...then you're way overdoing the crit, and giving up even more dps).

This is easy enough to test...go run both Mundus stones and do some practice dummy tests and see if the shadow brings up your numbers.

Resource management

Update 14 is HUGELY about resource management. I will confess I haven't gone in and played my magplar extensively since the update (Warden grinding, ugh). But I do play vmsa with my magplar previously, which required resource attention. Everyone is adapting to this...it's going to take some play style adjusting.

First, like you say, light and heavy attacks become more important. Your build is going to suffer for the dw setup...you gotta get those heavies in when you flip to the back bar to apply DOTs/buffs.

Second, I think reduce fear cost underperforms on jewelry glyphs. Go two spell damage and one recovery, then continue to adjust toward recovery if you still struggle.

Harness magicka saves my rear in vmsa...update 14 might make it even more invaluable, maybe even necessitating a front bar setup. Just get in there with your grothdar and jabs and keep your shield up and let that fuel a lot of your magic recovery.

magic draining enchants or poisons are back in fashion!

Review your skill tool box. Abilities that restore magic are now much more valuable. Channel focus was necessary for me in vmsa...it's now probably something that will get wider use.

If all else fails, you might need to swap out one of those dps magic sets for a recovery/magic restore set. This was part of the point of update 14...bringing down the dps and the ability spamming. Like I said, I haven't run my magplar in hard content yet, but I've run some other stuff on other characters, and my expectation is that my magplar is going to have to transfer his VMSA resource management build over to all PVE content.

• Bbsample197
    Bbsample197
    ✭✭✭✭
    im currentl 305cp and copied alcasts 300 cp build i might put some minor tweaks in. here's my current skills that im using probably needs adjustment.

primary bar ( DW)
    1. puncturing sweeps
    2. harness magicka
    3. radiant oppresion
    4. ritual of retribution
    5. inner light
    ult: Shooting star

Secondary bar (inferno staff)
    1. blazing spear
    2. blockade
    3. reflective light
    4. channeled focus
    5. inner light
    ult: Destro ult

1. im switching between iceheart monster set and grothdarr on many occasion but i find myself using iceheart more since it saves me most
    of the time. ive only golden 2/3 of my weapons and i find my dps gets significantly higher. ive tested the shadow mundus on a target
    dummy. and it did less damage than when im using the theif mundus idk maybe im doing something wrong, when using shadow i can
    only get up 9k-12k dps, but if im using theif i can get up to 10-15k maximum dps, 12k in average. Idont know if my dps is low since ive
    heard on some of my guildmates that the the ideal damage on vet dgns must be up to 25k dps, i couldnt reach that height.

2. I havent use the entropy skills but ill try, problem is idk where should i put them, im open to suggetstion regarding my skillset T.T,its better
    to try new things

3. regarding the sustain, is magicka regen better than reduce spell cost this gen? i changed my jewelry enchant by putting two reduce spell
    and one spell damage. currently i only have 700+ magicka regen which is so low and im a high elf

4. also lastly is vampire worth it for that 10% increase in magicka regen, im afraid to go th CoA2 to farm valkyn set because im always
    getting one shotted by fire attacks thinking of giving it up.
    Edited by Bbsample197 on June 18, 2017 11:14AM