Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Trade Scam?

Gonk714
Gonk714
I was talking to people and they said that you can get scammed within a trade, is this true?
I always COD everything as well.
  • barmarchub17_ESO
    I'm sure you can. It is a honesty system the people pay you what they say. COD is a good way to go. Or just use the guild stores.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only use COD now. Trading is for mates only.

If they are sneaky either as a buyer or a seller and time it right they can change the deal and *** you.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure you can get scammed. Stick to COD ... and tell your guildies about it. I do find that alot of them do not know about safe trading.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're in a guild with a public kiosk, that's the best way to safely buy and sell from other players. Or if you're in a guild together. If it's someone you know and trust, that's different, but there are ways to scam people in the normal trade interface. Usually by yanking out the gold or item right before you hit confirm.
  • Gonk714
    Gonk714
    Alright that's what I thought, thanks guys.
  • Didz
    Didz
    ✭✭
    I've not come across any of the blatant scams that were common on World of Warcraft.

You often see players trying to sell overpriced items in zone chat, but so far I've not heard of the anyone trying the item swap scam during a trade transaction as most trades are done by COD through the mail system.

Just be careful to check before accepting a mail transaction. For example I once accidently added a zero to the end of a COD transaction and charged someone 120,000 gold instead of 12,000, and he paid before realising my mistake. Fortunately, it was an honest mistake and I refunded the excess. But it shows the potential for dishonesty exists.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The common COD scam these days is to substitute an item with the same icon. Aetheral Dust shares an icon with Flour, for example. There was a variant of this the other day, where someone was trying to buy a sharpened Spriggan's dagger, but instead paid (sharpened rates) for a charged one, because the scammer sent the wrong item via the CoD system. So, check the item card before paying.

Tempering Alloy and Citrine used to share an icon as well, though Tempering Alloy has since had that changed.

The other, semi-common COD scam was to offer to buy, in zone, accept all offers, then let those items rot in your inbox, while you sell the same thing in zone for much more. Since the introduction of public guild kiosks (so, way back when), this dropped out of favor, and it's basically impossible to monopolize a zone this way now.
  • Gonk714
    Gonk714
    The common COD scam these days is to substitute an item with the same icon. Aetheral Dust shares an icon with Flour, for example. There was a variant of this the other day, where someone was trying to buy a sharpened Spriggan's dagger, but instead paid (sharpened rates) for a charged one, because the scammer sent the wrong item via the CoD system. So, check the item card before paying.

Tempering Alloy and Citrine used to share an icon as well, though Tempering Alloy has since had that changed.

The other, semi-common COD scam was to offer to buy, in zone, accept all offers, then let those items rot in your inbox, while you sell the same thing in zone for much more. Since the introduction of public guild kiosks (so, way back when), this dropped out of favor, and it's basically impossible to monopolize a zone this way now.
    Recently had this kid do the cod rot thing on me with morang tong axes motif, how long does it take to get your item back? And in order to check what's in a cod u gotta go to where it says deny right and it will show the item?
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gonk714 wrote: »

Recently had this kid do the cod rot thing on me with morang tong axes motif, how long does it take to get your item back? And in order to check what's in a cod u gotta go to where it says deny right and it will show the item?

On PC you hover over the item at the bottom of the mail, not sure about on consoles, however.

I think CoDs get returned after 7 days. (At launch it was 30, and even then the mail would, sometimes, vanish, rather than getting routed back to the original recipient.)
  • Mike-420
    Mike-420
    ✭✭
    I was reading COD mail not payed for is returned after 3 days.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    3 day autoreturn on COD's. All fees also get refunded.

Regarding trade window, simply pay attention.

Both parties have to confirm before it goes through - make sure the items are right. Make sure the gold is right.

If anyone changes anything, the trade has to be reverified by both parties.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When trading directly take your time. 95% of problems seem to occur when people rush.
    Double and triple-check if you're worried. Scammers work on a speedy transaction.
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • Gonk714
    Gonk714
    Rev Rielle wrote: »
    When trading directly take your time. 95% of problems seem to occur when people rush.
    Double and triple-check if you're worried. Scammers work on a speedy transaction.

So let's say someone wants to buy my motif do we bought put items up and I press X then him? Or? Like if one presses x can the other remove there item and accept immediately or?
  • DiteHart
    DiteHart
    ✭✭✭
    From what I understand, if someone changes something then it "un-confirms" you.

So, if you put up your motif, and he puts up his gold. Either of you can press X. The trade will finish when the other one presses X.
    If you press X first, and he removes his gold, it will reset the confirmations and both of you have to press X for it to go through again.

I assume. I haven't actually done a player-to-player trade in a while, and but I'm pretty sure it should work like Borderlands and stuff.
    X1/NA (GT: Dite Hart)
    Dite Dielle - Breton Templar
    - Full 9-trait crafter
    - Knows 41 motif styles
    - Covenant, Dominion, and Starter-Island Master Angler
  • Gonk714
    Gonk714
    DiteHart wrote: »
    From what I understand, if someone changes something then it "un-confirms" you.

So, if you put up your motif, and he puts up his gold. Either of you can press X. The trade will finish when the other one presses X.
    If you press X first, and he removes his gold, it will reset the confirmations and both of you have to press X for it to go through again.

I assume. I haven't actually done a player-to-player trade in a while, and but I'm pretty sure it should work like Borderlands and stuff.

Hmm, okay then thank you very much. Its because people always tell me always COD for idk what reason, I got some guy sitting on a motif in his inbox I think it's been three days already and nothing. Thankfully the value of the motif isn't going down at all.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    3 day autoreturn on COD's. All fees also get refunded.

Regarding trade window, simply pay attention.

Both parties have to confirm before it goes through - make sure the items are right. Make sure the gold is right.

If anyone changes anything, the trade has to be reverified by both parties.

It is possible to time the change right as "confirm" gets pressed and then the trade goes through - with whatever new items they put there and/or without whatever items they took away. I've never been scammed but a friend used it as a joke a few times to add extra things in the window lol. I never saw them coming yet they ended up in my inventory. This can be used a lot less innocently.
  • drakhan2002_ESO
    drakhan2002_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gonk714 wrote: »

Hmm, okay then thank you very much. Its because people always tell me always COD for idk what reason, I got some guy sitting on a motif in his inbox I think it's been three days already and nothing. Thankfully the value of the motif isn't going down at all.

COD is a guarantee that the buyer won't be ripped off. That way, if you do COD someone and they don't pay within a certain amount of time (I believe 3 days), the item will be returned to you...

Everyone wins - the buyer will pay the gold or can't get the item...if they don't pay, the item is returned to you.
    Edited by drakhan2002_ESO on June 13, 2017 2:15PM