The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Group Finder - Information on how it works?

Avran_Sylt
Avran_Sylt
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm kind of interested in what goes on server side when it tries to pair you with players, what it checks for etc. Are there any threads or old patch notes that could shed light on this?
Edited by Avran_Sylt on June 10, 2017 4:48PM
  • Trashkan
    Trashkan
    ✭✭✭
    This is just an observation I have had the last couple days. What if the teams are not filling up because the guys in the forever forming group bug are the actual other members of the unfilled groups. This would make sense considering sometimes it works but only 2 members for a team even though we saw 12 people accept ready check????
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trashkan wrote: »
    This is just an observation I have had the last couple days. What if the teams are not filling up because the guys in the forever forming group bug are the actual other members of the unfilled groups. This would make sense considering sometimes it works but only 2 members for a team even though we saw 12 people accept ready check????

Perhaps, all we can do is simply speculate.

And for the issues with groups having issues joining, I think it may tie into this, which I'm speculating is because group finder only checks the group leader when merging groups, and doesn't actually check for group members (or it's bugged in this regard) causing it to crash or hang somewhere when it tries to merge two groups together and causes too many players in the group for group finder, or there are conflicting roles.
    Edited by Avran_Sylt on June 10, 2017 5:50PM
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonder if they have it coded to prevent gridlock...
  • Tecorsuh
    Tecorsuh
    ✭✭
    Best that I can tell, it places you into a queue. If you have a specific dungeon you are queueing for, it will try to place people who don't have a specific dungeon or the same specific dungeon as you into group with you. If you're just running a random it will try to place you into any group. More often than not it will be with someone who queued for a specific dungeon. It places priority on how long you've been waiting in the queue, the longer the more likely that you will be put into a group.

DPS wait a lot longer because more people queue as a dps than not.

I think queuing for a specific dungeon also adds time to your queue because it is trying to form the group based on that dungeon. If it is the pledge for the day, you're a lot more likely to wait less time for a group than if it is a non-pledge dungeon.

That is the basics on how I think it works. I don't know anything about how they worked with the back end.

So, for example, earlier I queued as a tank for a random normal. I got placed into a group for ICP. I -think- that the healer and dps were grouped for a specific dungeon(Farming a set), and the the other dps and I were running a random. I don't know how long they waited, but my time to get into the group was almost instant.

Another example, on both of my healers my random normal was Fungal II. In both cases the healer had dropped at the Gamyne Bandu boss, and I joined to take their place.
  • ArnoTerranova
    ArnoTerranova
    ✭✭✭
    It is so un-ergonomically and badly designed I sometimes feel sorry for this game...

Fatty White-Claw (lvl 50+) heal trial pve
    Koros Bone-Shield (lvl 50+) tank trial pve
    Koros Lust (lvl 50+) dps pve, pvp
    Seiri (lvl 50+) dps pve
    Wildfire (lvl 50+) dps pvp
    EU-PC - Playing since April 2014. (beta)