The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

ESO - Starting on wrong monitor

• Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Here try reading this link - it might help.

The guy there got it fixed in the end.
    Options
  • YgolohcysP
    Betheny wrote: »

Ehhhhh the guy got it fixed and doesnt say what he did to fix his issue.....

Either way, I tried the unplugging the 2ndary monitor, starting game/etc that was recommended from beginning to end and no fix for me so far.

I refuse to perform any registry tweaks unless recommended by a ZOS dev/employee or MS dev/employee.

Any other suggestions? Anyone?

If a ZOS tech support person would actually respond that would be really great. There IS a setting somewhere in the client that is causing this.....
    Options
  • chmeee
    chmeee
    Soul Shriven
    When this happened to me, I did the following to fix it:
    • Verified my main display was set to Display 1 in windows settings
    • Turned off the 2nd monitor - don't unplug it, just power off
    • Started the game
    • Turned the 2nd monitor back on
    • Exited the game
    • Relaunched to verify the game starts on the main display

Note, make sure your UserSettings.ini file is not read-only.
    Options
  • YgolohcysP
    chmeee wrote: »
    • Started the game
    • Exited the game

TY for the advice. I tried this and couldnt even log in to the game. When the game started it was off screen since it has been starting on monitor #2 (my alt monitor - Asus 144 hz gaming).

Couldnt get it to show on main screen no matter what I did.

Options
  • YgolohcysP
    daily bump.

I guess actual ZoS tech support people literally never check in here.....
    Options
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    YgolohcysP wrote: »

Ehhhhh the guy got it fixed and doesnt say what he did to fix his issue.....

Either way, I tried the unplugging the 2ndary monitor, starting game/etc that was recommended from beginning to end and no fix for me so far.

I refuse to perform any registry tweaks unless recommended by a ZOS dev/employee or MS dev/employee.

Any other suggestions? Anyone?

If a ZOS tech support person would actually respond that would be really great. There IS a setting somewhere in the client that is causing this.....

Did you unplug reboot and modify at least one game setting, as outlined in that link I left up there for you?
    Options
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever monitor I have the launcher on when I click "play" is what monitor the game opens in...? Have you tried that?
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
    Options
  • Saturnana
    Saturnana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People have been troubleshooting and a lot of things that seem to be working for them, do not seem to be doing much on your end. I don't have a multiple monitor set-up so I can't try this, but maybe it's an idea for someone to try and replicate your issue? I.e. someone changes the settings / set-up of their monitors to your original ones, and then to your newest set-up afterwards? I am getting the feeling that this may be a software issue on your end, meaning your ESO client is clashing or not working properly with another program or process. Of course, if I'm wrong.. the tester will have gotten the same problem as you. :expressionless:
    @Saturnna | PC / EU

Nâmae Rin : Dragonknight | Dr Milodas Ra'Himo : Templar | Mira Motierre : Sorceress
    Plays-ln-Puddles : Warden  |  Lady Neria : Dragonknight   | Philadore : Nightblade  
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Ha! I do love it when the mortals know they're being manipulated. Makes things infinitely more interesting."
                                      - Sheogorath
    Options
  • YgolohcysP

Did you unplug reboot and modify at least one game setting, as outlined in that link I left up there for you?

Yes. As I stated in my response that you quoted I did.
    MissBizz wrote: »
    Whatever monitor I have the launcher on when I click "play" is what monitor the game opens in...? Have you tried that?

Unfortunately that is now how it works either logistically, or for me in my situation.
    Options
  • YgolohcysP
    lnsane wrote: »
    People have been troubleshooting and a lot of things that seem to be working for them, do not seem to be doing much on your end. I don't have a multiple monitor set-up so I can't try this, but maybe it's an idea for someone to try and replicate your issue? I.e. someone changes the settings / set-up of their monitors to your original ones, and then to your newest set-up afterwards? I am getting the feeling that this may be a software issue on your end, meaning your ESO client is clashing or not working properly with another program or process. Of course, if I'm wrong.. the tester will have gotten the same problem as you. :expressionless:

If someone is interested in replicating what Im doing on 1 hand Id love to see the results, OTOH Id hate to have someone else deal with my problem and the frustrations of jumping through hoops every time we need to start the game to get it full screen on your main monitor.
    Options
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately that is now how it works either logistically, or for me in my situation.

I'm assuming now was a typo and you meant not. In that case, that sucks :( Not sure what to suggest, sounds like you tried everything I would have.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
    Options
  • YgolohcysP

I'm assuming now was a typo and you meant not. In that case, that sucks :( Not sure what to suggest, sounds like you tried everything I would have.

Yes typo my bad :(

It doesnt matter which screen your launcher icon or the launcher is on. That has nothing to do with where the game launches but..... that aside I already tested that based on other recommendations in this thread and it had no benefit to solving my problem :(

I am 99.9999% sure this is related to moving my monitor position. As I stated in the OP I used to have my 2nd/alternate monitor on the left, and many months ago (after no longer playing ESO) I moved it to the right.

Started playing ESO again and now I have this issue.

When I change my monitor settings in windows so that main is on right and alternate is on left the game loads on proper monitor NP every single time.

When I put the monitor position where it is currently, game loads across both screen and when I alt/tab it, it autoloads to the smaller/alternate monitor.

Its not game breaking, but its more than mildly frustrating having to fidget to get everything set on the main monitor every single time I log in.....

Whatever....Im just literally surprised that there isnt 1 single ZoS employee who frequents their PC Tech Support forum.

Why even have this forum exactly? Lol......
    Edited by YgolohcysP on June 21, 2017 12:18AM
    Options
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

But in the later post you made you said when you turned the second monitor off the game loaded offscreen and you couldn't even log into game...
    • Started the game
    • Exited the game

TY for the advice. I tried this and couldnt even log in to the game. When the game started it was off screen since it has been starting on monitor #2 (my alt monitor - Asus 144 hz gaming).

So how were you able to load the game when you actually unplugged that monitor? Did it start on the monitor you wanted or did it load offscreen and you never got to complete the steps like playing the game and altering game settings while ingame etc?
    Edited by Betheny on June 21, 2017 1:24AM
    Options
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you checked the extend the monitor to the left or right setting in the display settings for windows.

For me my main is on the left and my secondary is on the right.
    Edited by Rhoric on June 21, 2017 6:38AM
    Options
  • YgolohcysP

But in the later post you made you said when you turned the second monitor off the game loaded offscreen and you couldn't even log into game...
    • Started the game
    • Exited the game

So how were you able to load the game when you actually unplugged that monitor? Did it start on the monitor you wanted or did it load offscreen and you never got to complete the steps like playing the game and altering game settings while ingame etc?

Betheny.

I completed the steps in the link that was provided wherein it recommended to unplug the 2nd monitor. When I did so and unplugged the 2nd monitor the game correctly loaded on the 1 single monitor that was left. When I replugged in monitor #2 after following all of the instrucitons in the link my problem still remained.

In the 2nd recommendation that @chmeee made it was specifically said to NOT unplug and just power it off. In that scenario the game loaded on the 2nd monitor which was turned off and I was unable to login due to it being on the turned off monitor.

Does that clear up the series of events?
    Edited by YgolohcysP on June 22, 2017 1:09AM
    Options
  • YgolohcysP
    Rhoric wrote: »
    Have you checked the extend the monitor to the left or right setting in the display settings for windows.

Yes. I posted a screenshot allready earlier in the thread.
    Options
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well if there was any "secret setting" that was your shot, looks like you're screwed.
    Options
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhoric wrote: »

Yes. I posted a screenshot allready earlier in the thread.

That screenshot is for your Nvidia settings. There is no screenshot for your windows settings. I mentioned Windows settings. I run a AMD rig with display fusion but I still have to make sure my windows settings are set also.
    Options
  • YgolohcysP
    The monitor that I am trying to have the game load on is properly designated as the primary monitor in all settings.......

TY to all that have helped...but this is going in circles with people not reading the thread, recommending nonsensical things, and a complete lack of any ZoS support on their support forum.

I do appreciate everyone who has tried, and offered suggestions but I think Im just gonna call it quits and deal with the frustrations for however long I continue to play ESO.

Ive never seen a company that flat out refuses to respond to their own official support forum before. Pretty damn disheartening.
    Options
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just cause it is set to primary means nothing if your settings in Windows is not correct also. I said you need to look at the setting to make sure extend the displays is correct and that is only in Windows. If you do nothing with your Windows settings then nothing is gonna work as Windows can override settings in other programs.

And just for your information I have read every single post in this topic.
    Options
  • YgolohcysP
    Dude I do appreciate the effort but as I stated countless times already....My windows settings are not the problem. Everything is set 100% perfectly to correctly identify the XB270HU as the main display.

I am am avid gamer and play a large variety of games on this computer. ESO is exclusively the only product that I have this problem with.

pe4bbo6bcgb0.png

Edited by YgolohcysP on June 22, 2017 2:45PM
    Options
  • eluxo
    eluxo
    ✭✭
    I just start the game and use Windows + Shift + Left or Windows + Shift + Right to move the game to the right screen.

Switching the main screen or setting the game to window mode, move it and switch to fullscreen again is far too circuitous for me.

Edited by eluxo on June 13, 2018 11:05PM
    Ever Tried? Ever Failed? Try again! Fail again! Fail better!

twitch.tv/3luxo
    Options
  • dbgager
    dbgager
    ✭✭✭
    Is it set as your primary monitor in WIndows itself. Your Picture does not really show which monitor is set as primary. WIndows does not know how they are arranged on your desk. #2 could be the one right in front of you. Push the identify button to find out which one is the primary monitor. It will flash a 1 on screen. If it flashes up a 2 then that indeed is your issue.
    System>Display
    Edited by dbgager on June 14, 2018 12:48AM
    Options
  • Reizak
    Reizak
    Soul Shriven
    So, it's 2020, COVID-19 is taking over the world, and this unfortunate issue still remains.

WinKey + Shift + [ARROW KEY]

Is still the only bearable solution I can find.

I can switch to windowed mode, drag the window to the other monitor, then enable windowed full-screen, and the window will stick on the other monitor... Until I quit, and restart the game. Then it completely forgets everything, and I get a sad face.

Was a solution ever found?
    Options
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As this discussion is nearly 4 years old the thread will be closed. If you are unable to find a recent thread on a specific issue, you can start a new thread instead of necroing an older discussion.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Options
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.