The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

ESO - Starting on wrong monitor

YgolohcysP
I use a multi- monitor setup.

I just reinstalled ESO but I switched my monitor orientation since the last time I played. My main monitor is on the left now (Acer xb270hu) and my supplemental monitor is on the right (asus gaming 144hz). Previously I had the supplemental monitor on the left.

When I start ESO, it looks like it tries to start on both monitors, and then the password login is on the supplemental monitor on the right. I have tried using Win+ARROW to no avail. I have tried logging into game, making windowed mode, moving to main monitor, making fullscreen at correct resolution. All of these things work, but the next time I log in its not remembering anything and I am back to square one.

My nvidia control panel is 100% set up properly with the xb270hu being both the primary monitor as well as the focus monitor.

When I switch the monitor orientation in Nvidia control panel so that the xb270hu is on the right and the asus gaming 144hz is on the left, the game properly loads on the xb270hu as I want it to, but as I said this is not how my monitors are currently set up.

I think there is some setting somewhere which is remembering my previous monitor setup. Can anyone help to find this setting and correct it?

Thanks!
  • MisterBigglesworth
    MisterBigglesworth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Control Panel >> Screen Resolution
    Checkbox "Make this my main display"
    If it's already set as main, then set the other monitor as main.
    Really we do it without like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I also have a multi monitor system. By doing above ^, I can move ESO to any monitor I feel like at any time.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In My Documents, My Games there should be an ESO folder, Live for your game. IN there are some Prefs files, like user and I forget the name of the other one, it might even be Prefs. Anyway, that is where the settings should be stored for preferred monitor.

Finally, is your system set up now for High Performance Video? A weird long shot is the game is firing on the preferred 2D monitor as the initial splash screens and the Launcher if you use it, are 2D then it switches to 3D for the game. That could be why it's ignoring your monitor prefs. So that could be something to look at too.

Trying to keep you out of your registry.

Also, and I am sure you did this, but did you customize your desktop and select which monitor is the preferred one and then Apply it?
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• YgolohcysP

I dont want to use the other monitor as my main. I play a variety of different games and want my 28 inch Gsync 2560x1440p monitor as my main.

k9mouse wrote: »
    I also have a multi monitor system. By doing above ^, I can move ESO to any monitor I feel like at any time.
    I can move it as well. But the point being I dont want to have to do this manually each and every time I start the game.

Thanks for the advice so far but...anyone else have any other suggestions?
  • YgolohcysP
    Nestor wrote: »
    In My Documents, My Games there should be an ESO folder, Live for your game. IN there are some Prefs files, like user and I forget the name of the other one, it might even be Prefs. Anyway, that is where the settings should be stored for preferred monitor.

Finally, is your system set up now for High Performance Video? A weird long shot is the game is firing on the preferred 2D monitor as the initial splash screens and the Launcher if you use it, are 2D then it switches to 3D for the game. That could be why it's ignoring your monitor prefs. So that could be something to look at too.

Trying to keep you out of your registry.

Also, and I am sure you did this, but did you customize your desktop and select which monitor is the preferred one and then Apply it?

Yes. Ive looked in the Usersettings.txt but cant find the info in there.

There is a setting SET FULLSCREEN_v5 "2". When I switch the "2" to "1" it appropriately moves to the correct monitor, but its not fullscreen. Its windowed fullscreen meaning the mouse cursor is not confined to the game window, as well as windowed fullscreen gives massive performance hits.

As far as High Performance Video I have not heard of this before, but its the same computer where it worked previously and as I stated in the OP when I switch monitor orientation in Nvidia control panel it works fine so Its related to a saved preference somewhere related to where my monitors were previously located...and I cant find that settings lol :(
    Edited by YgolohcysP on June 5, 2017 9:25PM
  • MisterBigglesworth
    MisterBigglesworth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YgolohcysP wrote: »

I dont want to use the other monitor as my main. I play a variety of different games and want my 28 inch Gsync 2560x1440p monitor as my main.

That's not what I'm saying.
    What I'm saying is: double check to make sure that the monitor you intend to have set as your main is, in fact, set as main in settings.
    Edited by MisterBigglesworth on June 5, 2017 9:34PM
    Really we do it without like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.
  • YgolohcysP

That's not what I'm saying.
    What I'm saying is: double check to make sure that the monitor you intend to have set as your main is, in fact, set as main in settings.

Yes. As stated in the OP It is 100% set as both my primary monitor and my focus monitor correctly.
    Edited by YgolohcysP on June 5, 2017 9:38PM
  • YgolohcysP
    So...I removed the Usersettings.txt completely and started from scratch. After going through the entire visual setup process again everything is back to the same screwed up issue. I either start windowed fullscreen on the proper/main monitor, or genuine fullscreen on the smaller/secondary monitor and I need to manually move to the main monitor.

Nvidia control panel screenshot FWIW....

alwt7u0odl2o.png
  • YgolohcysP
    Any addl help or advice appreciated. This is hella annoying :(
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try a program called Display Fusion. It has all kinds of multi-monitor tweaks. I believe you can try it before purchasing.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • MisterBigglesworth
    MisterBigglesworth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Native Windows display settings exactly matches what's shown here on Nvidia control panel?
    No inconsistencies?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do any other games have this issue?

Do you have this issue if you use a Shortcut directly to the EXE?

Does the Prefs/user files for the Launcher have anything in them that might make them prefer one monitor over the other?

Oddly enough, did you try this without the Nvidia Control Panel running or better, the Nvidia Experience running? The last is a known problem child for some games on some systems. It is mostly for keeping your drivers updated automatically, which is not something you really want to do. Update drivers only if they address an issue you are having, and you have researched to see if they don't cause issues on other things.
    Edited by Nestor on June 5, 2017 10:03PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• YgolohcysP
    Native Windows display settings exactly matches what's shown here on Nvidia control panel?
    No inconsistencies?

Nope. Exactly the same in control panel/display settings. The correct monitor is correctly identified as the main.
    Nestor wrote: »
    Do any other games have this issue?

Do you have this issue if you use a Shortcut directly to the EXE?

Does the Prefs/user files for the Launcher have anything in them that might make them prefer one monitor over the other?

Oddly enough, did you try this without the Nvidia Control Panel running or better, the Nvidia Experience running? The last is a known problem child for some games on some systems. It is mostly for keeping your drivers updated automatically, which is not something you really want to do. Update drivers only if they address an issue you are having, and you have researched to see if they don't cause issues on other things.

Ill try to run from exe and bypass patcher and see what happens.
    EDIT: Running directly from the *.exe produced the same exact effect with no changes.
    FWIW Im running the 64bit ESO client.

No other games either currently have this issue (and I play a variety!) and I cannot recall ever having this issue before.

I dont see any prefs/user files for the Launcher. I see no settings in the gear icon from the launcher UI that have any effect on any video settings whatsoever, and I cannot find any *.txt or *.ini config files in Zenimax Online/Launcher folder.

Do you know of any such files or are you speculating that they are there? Am I not looking in the right place?

Ill try running wihtout Nvidia experience and Nvidia control panel however I feel that everyone has not really read through my posts.

How do you explain this?
    YgolohcysP wrote: »
    When I switch the monitor orientation in Nvidia control panel so that the xb270hu is on the right and the asus gaming 144hz is on the left, the game properly loads on the xb270hu as I want it to, but as I said this is not how my monitors are currently set up.
    Thanks!

I previously had my 2 monitors flipped. The Asus gaming 144hz secondary monitor USED to be on the left, and a few months ago I switched it to the right. When I played ESO previously it was on the left. When I do what I quoted above, the game properly loads in FULL fullscreen mode on the correct monitor.

I think that alone is fairly substantial evidence that there is some setting somewhere unknown to me (or you guys so far) that is dictating the launcher or *.exe to load on the right most of the 2 monitors no matter which is designated main.

Help? lol....its not a big deal to futz with it before I play each time but it IS annoying and I would like to fix it if possible.
    Edited by YgolohcysP on June 6, 2017 12:09AM
  • YgolohcysP
    Well then.....

Running the 32 bit client it loads properly on the correct screen, without changing ANY other settings other than unchecking the "use 64 bit client" from launcher settings.

Change back to 64bit client and it happens again.

I WAS using the 64 bit client back in the day and not the 32 bit client...so my current theory is that there is a setting somewhere attached to the client itself related to monitor preference. I cannot find it. It doesnt appear to be in any text related document that I can access.

Do Zenimax employees frequent here and help? Or is it mostly users that troubleshoot?
    I dont mean to imply that the help provided so far is not appreciated but it unfortunately has not been immensely helpful in uncovering the root of this problem thus far :(
    Edited by YgolohcysP on June 6, 2017 12:24AM
  • Ignotus
    Ignotus
    ✭✭✭
    helediron wrote: »
    Try a program called Display Fusion. It has all kinds of multi-monitor tweaks. I believe you can try it before purchasing.
    +1 for Display Fusion. I bought it on Steam since it was on sale there, but it can be bought directly from the developer as well. There is a free and paid version. I believe all installs come with pro version for 30 days free.
  • YgolohcysP
    bump
  • YgolohcysP
    bumpage....no other help eh?

Assumedly there are other issues with Morrowind release that are taking priority and thats understandable.

Ill bump every so often and be patient.
  • YgolohcysP
    bump
  • YgolohcysP
    to the top!
  • YgolohcysP
    anyone home?
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use Display Fusion myself. In the settings for it you can select which program opens on your main monitor and what you want to open on any other monitor you have. Works great, have been using it for a few years now.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had luck with moving the launcher to the screen i want ESO to run on and then hit the play button.

That seems to direct ESO to run on that monitor.
    shades.gif
  • YgolohcysP
    I have no issues in any other games or in any other situations, and really dont have any interest whatsoever in using Display Fusion but TY to anyone who suggested.
    SirAndy wrote: »
    I had luck with moving the launcher to the screen i want ESO to run on and then hit the play button.

That seems to direct ESO to run on that monitor.
    shades.gif

Launcher is already on the monitor that I want it to run on and that does not seem to affect anything for me.

Im pretty darn certain there is some setting within the client directing to a certain monitor based on my testing (switching monitor virtual positions noted above as well as toggling between 32bit and 64bit clients as noted above).

Noone knows anything about this potential setting?
  • Shadow-Fighter
    Shadow-Fighter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you swapped the cables on port #1 and #2?
    Natch Potes is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get
  • YgolohcysP
    Have you swapped the cables on port #1 and #2?

Not possible. 1 cable is a DVI and the other is displayport and my side monitor does not support displayport.
  • YgolohcysP
    Additionally, I previously said that the 64 client loads on the wrong monitor, and the 32 bit client loads on the correct monitor but I was wrong.

Its when I SWITCH between 32/64 that it loads properly for that first load afterwards.

This is just weird......
  • YgolohcysP
    bump!
  • YgolohcysP
    to the top again.

its getting real annoying and old having to jump through hoops every time i try to log in and play this game :(

Arnt there any actual devs or ZoS employees that frequent the Tech Support forum?
  • YgolohcysP
    bump
  • YgolohcysP
    to the top...again...lol....
This discussion has been closed.