Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

It seems Crafting is really only meant to be pursued as part of Endgame.

Hluill
Hluill
✭✭✭
I feel like I am gimping my low-level characters because i want them to be able to craft. Every skill point is a struggle to spend on crafting skills. It's really a shame that this game didn't design a real crafting system. I have to play games over ten-years old to experience a fun crafting-design.
Black-handed Hluill and his daughter Leyek of House Numaril.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crafting in the game can be very fun if you just give it the time (and skill points) to master it.

You are exactly right ... the low levels don't afford much room to allocate vital skill points over to crafting. So, keeping skill points directed towards combat skills is a good move.

End game characters generally have at or above 300 skill points ... so there's plenty of room for both combat and crafting at that point. So, just be patient until then.

Here is an old picture of my Stamplar in crafted 5-pc Morkuldin (mostly Ra Gada style) and 3-pc Gladiator. See my signature for other character pics.

sFt4brm.jpg
  • Hluill
    Hluill
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, exactly my point.

There are games where crafting doesn't require a lot of killing to just enjoy crafting.

This game: crafting is only enjoyable after a character has done a lot of killing. The character is either gimped for killing or at max level and has a surplus of skill points.

I enjoy crafting as an easy way to get gear to characters as they level. It seems to be a wasted potential...
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a lot of killing is needed if you have the time to gather all the skyshards and public dungeon group event skill points ... FYI.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh please...stop being so lazy and go get them sky shards, lol.

When I first played, you were locked into zones and locked out of other factions until you completed the entire story from the previous. There were no ~24 skill points from DLC shards. You couldn't get into craglorn until you were vet. And yet, I managed to completely fill in all six crafting lines as I progressed AND on my fighting main who I kept flush with fighting skills and passives.

Today, with One Tamriel it's absurdly easy to get a skill point for every single ability and passive you've unlocked. You're not handicapped, except that you don't want to do the work involved to earn the points needed. Stop complaining, pull up a delve map, and get to hunting.

(Don't read this post as rude, I'm just laughing at the complaint because it's silly).
  • Ulo
    Ulo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just referring to the problem of skill points investing a few hours in Cyrodill, even at lower levels, can net you a few more skill points through rank. And don't forget to grab those skyshards while you're there, and mats of course :p

P.S. oh yeah and murder plenty of people while you're there, can't forget that.
  • Soella
    Soella
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crafting is less rewarding on low levels then it used to be due to all set items you are getting while leveling, but it is far more accessible, as you were pointed out already.
    Do:
    - main quest (each step gives a skill point);
    - introductory quest in Cyrodiil (2 points);
    - hunt skyshards (get addon if you are on PC).

• olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crafting is severely lacking in end game if you ask me, theres like 5 sets worth crafting, the rest of them is ***. ZOS dropped the ball.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dont disagree on particular points but will chime in to say that...

While equipment crafting is at an all time low IMO the consumables remain well worth their effort.

Also, at low levels (and top levels) i strongly recommend running daily writs. Tier-1 daily writs for equip provide bonuses in the form of either survey maps or boxes of tier-1 mats every time. these are in addition to the gold and what not plus xp and inspiration. The boxes will almost always make up 80% or more of the mats used and the surveys can be given to higher tier crafters for harvesting better mats. Alchemy and ench tier-1s produce similar results, though not with boixes. key is the gold payouts go up as character levels as do the decon pieces so... even a cp160 running tier-1 writs can make good hay of it.

Every char i have runs tier-1 writs or tier-10 writs every day. Well worth it IMo and it gradually advances your crafting.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Rainwhisper
    Rainwhisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ulo wrote: »
    Just referring to the problem of skill points investing a few hours in Cyrodill, even at lower levels, can net you a few more skill points through rank. And don't forget to grab those skyshards while you're there, and mats of course :p

P.S. oh yeah and murder plenty of people while you're there, can't forget that.

You get skill points for PvP rank?
  • Hluill
    Hluill
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, being accused of being lazy and stupid...

Huh.

~looks at all his crafted gear~

Guess I am a procrastinating idiot.

My point is that to be an energetic crafter one has to spend time adventuring, not crafting. Hunting skyshards involves exploring and delves. These are the activities of an adventurer, not a crafter. Disparaging my character(s) does not invalidate my point.
  • Pops_ND_Irish
    Pops_ND_Irish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never crafted in a game until ESO. I think its great.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You get skill points for PvP rank?

Sad but not a surprising question ... from a player who doesn't think PvP should be in the game.

Yes, you get a skill point for every PvP rank attained with AP in the Alliance War or Battlegrounds ... up to 50 skill points available.

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Skills

Edited by Taleof2Cities on June 4, 2017 3:16PM
  • O_LYKOS
    O_LYKOS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You only need crafting on one character.
    PC NA - GreggsSausageRoll
    Xbox NA - CinnamonRoll266
  • Hluill
    Hluill
    ✭✭✭
    MoTeets wrote: »

The crafting system in ESO allows one to make some great gear, but compared to other MMOs it's not a great crafting system.

For me, good crafting systems allow players to update their gear as they level, which is really hard, if not impossible in ESO.

Or, in great crafting systems, crafting is an alternate activity to adventuring, which is definitely not part of ESO's design, nor, sadly, most of the new MMOs. When someone asks for a good crafting system, typically they are told to play another game.

This game has a decent combat system, a great quest system and is filled with some interesting lore. It now has housing with some okay decorating mechanics. But the crafting recipes require skill in several crafting professions, which reinforces the point that adventuring is the focus and crafting is left behind.
  • Hluill
    Hluill
    ✭✭✭
    O_LYKOS wrote: »
    You only need crafting on one character.

I would say that with the new furniture recipes, a player SHOULD have only one crafter. The idea to spread out the professions among alts is less than effective. And it is certainly easier to do writs on one character as well.

Seems that this game is designed to max one character, make it the designated crafter, then craft for alts and friends and guildees. Hence the title of the thread.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, I did not mean to disparage you. My point was that this in an MMORPG, so unlike Skyrim you cannot simply go to a merchant, buy mats, decon, contract, sell, but mats, etc to grind your crafting up. Everything in this game takes a time commitment to level and master.

I have ten toon that are all master crafters in all skills. For the mules, I use a variety of skill point building strategies. I always level them to ten, then get them into Cyrodiil to turn in the welcome quest, which grants a skill point then allows them to unlock retreating maneuvers for speed. (I also always prepare a mule a month in advance to get them some mount speed and stam assistance).

From there, they can go grab the overland sky shards. If you join/belong to a large guild you can fast travel to online members, check the map where you land, and grab shards that are in range. Cyrodiil has a ton of overland shards. Most platforms have an empty server people mostly pvp on (azuras star for PS4 NA). The shards aren't usually in combat zones regardless...it's easy to spend an hour or two in Cyrodiil and pick up ten or so points.

While you don't want to fight much of your crafters, I do find public dungones, with their one shard and one full point, to be a great source of points. During busy times you can tag along with the other human and quickly grab your points.

That's the best strategy I've developed. You might still not like it, or think it should be necessary to level crafting with skill points, but that's life in an MMO and overall it's not a huge time or energy investment to get these points, especially with the open world of One Tamriel.
  • Hluill
    Hluill
    ✭✭✭
    davey1107 wrote: »
    Sorry, I did not mean to disparage you. My point was that this in an MMORPG, so unlike Skyrim you cannot simply go to a merchant, buy mats, decon, contract, sell, but mats, etc to grind your crafting up. Everything in this game takes a time commitment to level and master.

I appreciate the reply.

I've played more than a few MMOs, but I have never played Skyrim.

The part of me that is moronic is that I keep hoping for the one MMO to rule them all. An MMO that has the depth of stories and questing like ESO. Combat that is as fun, that feels as effective, as ESO's. But I want a crafting system that's real, like Vanguard's, or at least like EQ2's. Talk about taking time to master crafting, try those games! I've gotten my wife to try every MMO I've played, but she keeps going beck to EQ2 because it offers more than just quests and killing. Granted, ESO does it's quests and killing pretty well, better than most, that's all it has.
  • bodge2372
    bodge2372
    ✭✭✭
    I've never found crafting to be a problem at all. I have one alt who is my crafting alt, while my other 5 alts farm and decon everything they come across so I'm never short of mats and always have plenty of stuff to be able to give to fellow guildies if they're short of stuff. Never had any problems at low lvl either. All my alts get fresh training gear every 10 lvls of whatever style I think will suit them. Current favourite is Minotaur style, however I'm 1 SP and a crafting lvl short for being able to do Dro m'Athra for my Khajiit. But gives me something to aim toward. Crafting's as fun as you make it. If you see it as a chore, it will be.
  • Hluill
    Hluill
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, I wish i had concentrated on one character doing all the crafting. Though my only issue is the set-crafting. Most of the time it's fine: one character is a blacksmith and a clothier. But, he's not the woodworker, so if I want the shield or staff to be part of the set... It is not too late to start investing skill points into my smith-clothier. The research time will be the bigger issue.

The other issue is now with the furniture recipes. Blue and purple require skill points in multiple crafting professions. The crafter in me is kinda offended by this. It's kinda like requiring the healer to tank and dps. I know, this game doesn't really have crafting professions.

Again, that is a shame.
  • Kaymorolis
    Kaymorolis
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see skill points as being a big issue with making a one-stop crafter. It's the research needed - at least for gear crafts. I'd love to craft a full set of Hundings for my NB but I'm sorely lacking in several pieces of medium armor research.

And it's not that I haven't kept my timers going. However I don't find many drops of medium gear. Oddly enough it seems that 95% of anything that drops for me is light or heavy. I've taken to buying junk items off the traders and/or begging guildies for cheap research fodder.
    PC | NA
    CP: 240+
    Tai'Zar - 50 Bosmer Stamblade
    Annatar the Fair - 50 Altmer MagSorc
    Rules Through Fear - 50 Argonian Templar
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO.. and here is why.

If you are a level 50, CP 160, you only get Rubedite, Ruby Ash, Ancestor Silk and Rubedo Leather for drops/node spawns.

So, you have to create an alt, keep it under level 12 to get the Iron, Maple, Jute and Rawhide you need to level up crafting past tier 1. Wash, rinse and rename the tier mats until you get up to top tier.

Thank you 1T or whatever expansion caused some moronic genius change that made nodes level with your character, instead of being restricted to zones.
    Edited by Darlgon on June 5, 2017 3:38PM
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • Pops_ND_Irish
    Pops_ND_Irish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hluill wrote: »

The crafting system in ESO allows one to make some great gear, but compared to other MMOs it's not a great crafting system.

For me, good crafting systems allow players to update their gear as they level, which is really hard, if not impossible in ESO.

Or, in great crafting systems, crafting is an alternate activity to adventuring, which is definitely not part of ESO's design, nor, sadly, most of the new MMOs. When someone asks for a good crafting system, typically they are told to play another game.

This game has a decent combat system, a great quest system and is filled with some interesting lore. It now has housing with some okay decorating mechanics. But the crafting recipes require skill in several crafting professions, which reinforces the point that adventuring is the focus and crafting is left behind.

Dont craft ! problem solved
  • Hluill
    Hluill
    ✭✭✭

Dont craft ! problem solved

~laughs~
  • Hluill
    Hluill
    ✭✭✭
    Kaymorolis wrote: »
    I don't see skill points as being a big issue with making a one-stop crafter. It's the research needed - at least for gear crafts. I'd love to craft a full set of Hundings for my NB but I'm sorely lacking in several pieces of medium armor research.

And it's not that I haven't kept my timers going. However I don't find many drops of medium gear. Oddly enough it seems that 95% of anything that drops for me is light or heavy. I've taken to buying junk items off the traders and/or begging guildies for cheap research fodder.

I've done the same. I've spent lots of time cruising the guild traders looking for cheap stuff in the traits I need. In the slots I use a lot, I have everything but Nirnhoned. To concentrate on one character for crafting though... I am going to need quite a few more skill points for my clothier-blacksmith to master woodworking, and the research time... And I don't want to think about mastering enchanting again.
  • Hluill
    Hluill
    ✭✭✭
    Darlgon wrote: »
    NO.. and here is why.

If you are a level 50, CP 160, you only get Rubedite, Ruby Ash, Ancestor Silk and Rubedo Leather for drops/node spawns.

So, you have to create an alt, keep it under level 12 to get the Iron, Maple, Jute and Rawhide you need to level up crafting past tier 1. Wash, rinse and rename the tier mats until you get up to top tier.

Thank you 1T or whatever expansion caused some moronic genius change that made nodes level with your character, instead of being restricted to zones.

Accidentally, I now have characters that can gather in most of the tiers. And I maintain a solid stock. My ruby-tiered main only has tier-two gathering. My big issue was when my main was still leveling through the tiers and I had no mats for the next tier. It was a rude wake up for me to realize that I needed hundreds of ruby ingots for the last tier.

It would be cool and much more immersive if materials were based on location though. Finding ruby wood in newbie zones just seems wrong.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have leveled all of my alts in every craft as I progressed, without using any more skill points than I absolutely needed.

You don't need to spend any points in enchant/wood/cloth/blacksmith as you just deconstruct everything you and your other higher level characters find. For provisioning and alchemy, a few points in the passives so that you can make higher level food and potions is all you need.

My alts only started trait research when Homestead came along, so I had spare skill points by then.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Hluill
    Hluill
    ✭✭✭
    disintegr8 wrote: »
    I have leveled all of my alts in every craft as I progressed, without using any more skill points than I absolutely needed.

You don't need to spend any points in enchant/wood/cloth/blacksmith as you just deconstruct everything you and your other higher level characters find. For provisioning and alchemy, a few points in the passives so that you can make higher level food and potions is all you need.

My alts only started trait research when Homestead came along, so I had spare skill points by then.

That has not been my experience. Quite a few times, spreading out the crafting among three characters, I felt pretty shorthanded on skill points. I think the "needed" is the place where we disagree. I recently reassigned skillpoints to allow my enchanter to craft toptier. Sometime ago I realized that my main would not be able to craft for herself and still be able to survive a fight, but that was before the 1T update.

I don't feel like I have "spare" skill points prior to the thirtieth levels. And my thirty-second-level clothier-blacksmith seems pretty stripped down, skill-point wise. And i feel bad for what i did to my enchanter-woodworker-alchemist.

I realize that it is not that hard to find shards and get skillpoints.

But there are days when I just want to craft, work on crafting, not adventure or explore. Though most of the time I'd rather be adventuring.
  • Jaazer
    Jaazer

I appreciate the reply.

The part of me that is moronic is that I keep hoping for the one MMO to rule them all. An MMO that has the depth of stories and questing like ESO. Combat that is as fun, that feels as effective, as ESO's. But I want a crafting system that's real, like Vanguard's, or at least like EQ2's. Talk about taking time to master crafting, try those games! I've gotten my wife to try every MMO I've played, but she keeps going beck to EQ2 because it offers more than just quests and killing. Granted, ESO does it's quests and killing pretty well, better than most, that's all it has.

In terms of "time to master" it will take you about 10 months to get all crafting research to 9 traits in ESO.
  • Hluill
    Hluill
    ✭✭✭
    Jaazer wrote: »

I appreciate the reply.

In terms of "time to master" it will take you about 10 months to get all crafting research to 9 traits in ESO.

Yeah, slugging my way through research right now. But most of that time is logged out and waiting on timers. I've played games where you have to spend hours in front of the crafting station just to level. In some games, crafting is more complicated than combat. There's skill and time involved. There are MMOs that I have yet to hit level cap in any of their distinct crafting classes.
  • Astarana
    Astarana
    ✭✭✭
    I'm leveling my alt (lvl 17) in all crafts by just deconning everything my main gets (CP 160), and doing daily crafting writs. She have no skill points assigned into any of the crafts, but she is in 30-35 craft level range. This way I'm using the basic mats that you getting back from writs to do dailies and decon, decon, decon. Alch, is the only one where I actually have to make pots.