Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network service interruption has been resolved. Thank you for your patience.

Are Dolmens the Most Efficient Way to Level Up?

• Deadfinger6
    Deadfinger6
    ✭✭✭
    Also random norm dungeon speed run...level up v lots
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    No, using a grind spot is best.

But, that alik'r dolmens grind is good easy on before you have the right skills to grind solo. Also you can stick whatever on your bar and just light attack stuff.

It's ok, but there's numerous grind spots that give you a lot more xp.

I love when people say this stuff...yet they never provide the grinding spots. While I do know that "Google is my friend" and I've seen some videoes on Youtube, why not share these spots? Oh right...you don't want anyone else there.

Stick with Dolmen's OP...it's low risk and steady xp without the hassle of these kinds of open-ended statements.

Note: I am not disagreeing with the statement that grinding is faster than dolmens...

For non-instanced grinding spots to work, you need to be alone (or with no more than 1 or 2 other players). That's why people don't share them publicly (if they did, they'd become useless). Ask your friends or guild mates in-game.

I started off grinding dolmens with my warden and it was painfully slow (like 2 levels an hour in full training gear + psijic potions). I then asked around and was pointed towards a grinding spot by someone who already finished their warden grind. The new spot gave me around 5 levels an hour, which was a huge improvement.

Instanced grinding spots that are better than dolmens are Skyreach (but be prepared to pay a partner 2k+ per level) and nMA.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on June 1, 2017 2:54AM
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just curious Why are dolems in Alik'r and Audiron are so popular ? It's handy for group zergs but puzzling to me

They are really close to the wayshrines.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They're close to wayshrines.
  • Adoman
    Adoman
    ✭✭
    I did some dolman grinding on my new Warden, but started to fall asleep at the wheel, so I jumped into normal Maelstrom Arena. I gained 3 levels (with 50% scroll running), so I just grinded nMA from level 33 to 49. Jumped in a normal daily (ICP) to cap.
  • JiKama
    JiKama
    ✭✭✭✭
    Go to alik'r/HoondingsWatchWayshrine. Pull all the Spooky ghosts and slaughter them relentlessly. Show no mercy. Add at least 1 skill from each tree to both action bars and level up everything. Even if you cant use an ability slot it. Oh yeah... Having a group of 2 helps :smile: have fun OP
  • Ilawynde
    Ilawynde
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting take from everyone.....................so may options!!!
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just curious Why are dolems in Alik'r and Audiron are so popular ? It's handy for group zergs but puzzling to me

Lot of big open spaces, not a ton of obstacles to work around when moving from one to the other.
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
    Have you seen the Twin Lamps?
  • ssewallb14_ESO
    ssewallb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way the game is setup now hitting max level isn't the longest grind. Undaunted will be the longest grind, and Fighters Guild, Mage's Guild, Skill Points, Skill Tree leveling will all take longer than 1-50.

I like to grind to 15, make some tanking gear in Training, then go straight to dungeons. I'll also do the Harborage quests as they're easy skill points. While it's slower 1-50, you're working at all of the above grinds at the same time other than Mage's Guild. When I hit max level I'm usually Undaunted 5, FG 100, and have all of my class Skills unlocked and at least 1 weapon skill line. At that point finishing Undaunted is only a few days, then I put on the gear I use for farming (fiord + jailbreaker) and speedrun skyshards, public dungeon group bosses (gives 1 skill point), and lorebooks to unlock MG 10 and collect any skill points I might need.

If I need to unlock anymore remaining skills while farming the last couple points in undaunted, I do the daily pledges (without turning in), do the random normal daily, pop a psijic before the last boss, then turn in the 3 quests, and grind the remainder of the psijic buff.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They are really close to the wayshrines.
    yes, I used the upper two Arduin dolmens for leveling my templar, you just manage two rather than 3 but its much less populated so it gives way more xp. think it was 4-5 for each level in blue training gear.

Group dungeons should also work very well but you should have an tank or healer build for fast queuing.
    That is the dungeon quest give lots of xp the time you do it, later runs don't give much xp.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    zyk wrote: »
    You might get to 50 faster this way, but you will lack skill points and probably won't learn how to play at all.
    Leveling fast doesn't mean they're sitting at the computer drunk, unable to think clearly. They're still learning how to play that character.
    I'll never understand why people think that you can't learn to play a class just because you're leveling faster than average. It makes no sense.

It does, however, mean you're only learning to use your character under very specific circumstances. You're not learning how to actually play your class. This usually becomes a big issue when you're dealing with players in dungeons who power leveled to 160, but don't understand basic game mechanics, like interrupting attacks or getting out of the red.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might get to 50 faster this way, but you will lack skill points and probably won't learn how to play at all.
    Leveling fast doesn't mean they're sitting at the computer drunk, unable to think clearly. They're still learning how to play that character.
    I'll never understand why people think that you can't learn to play a class just because you're leveling faster than average. It makes no sense.

It does, however, mean you're only learning to use your character under very specific circumstances. You're not learning how to actually play your class. This usually becomes a big issue when you're dealing with players in dungeons who power leveled to 160, but don't understand basic game mechanics, like interrupting attacks or getting out of the red.
    Yes, running public dungeons teach you a lot more.
    Leveling with normal dungeons is probably the best here. The one time dungeon quest also give a lot of xp, don't bother doing dungeon more than once unless group demands it.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Vulture051
    Vulture051
    ✭✭✭
    I love when people say this stuff...yet they never provide the grinding spots. While I do know that "Google is my friend" and I've seen some videoes on Youtube, why not share these spots? Oh right...you don't want anyone else there.

Of course we don't. That's why Vivec's Antlers gives even less xp than dolmens when there is a boost holiday. Everyone knows about it so it's flooded.
    It's the same reason we don't give specifics when people ask how to make gold.
    You answered your own question mate.
    Edited by Vulture051 on May 31, 2017 11:02PM
    3 new classes. 3 new spellcasters. Zenimax has forgotten how to make melee classes.
  • StormWylf
    StormWylf
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why on earth would a new player want to simply grind to 50?

You are missing out on the entire game.

This ^^^^ ESO has great PvE story-lines, if you take the time to listen/read along the way. Side stories force you to make some interesting ethical choices. You miss out on so much rushing to 50. Besides what's so special about reaching 50?
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    From my perspective, no. A combo of dolmens, delves & quests work better.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • QUEZ420
    QUEZ420
    ✭✭✭✭
    Grind spots are better.

This for sure! Wit all classes grinded to cap cept my main which has cleared Caldwells silver n gold to actually enjoy the content. Console launchs at 5am Tuesday so I'm planning to create a Warden that morning, got the training gear alrdy banked so equip that combined wit sum xp scrolls n a buddy wit The Ring of Mara I expect my Warden to b 50 within roughly 12 hrs game time so he'll b maxed first day np. Cant wait!
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO

If you are new to the game you should enjoy the ride doing the quests and follow the story it's actually pretty good, and you will learn to play your character.

If you have already done 1 character to a CP level, then go ahead and speed level using what ever means you like. Just be sure to increase your skills and learn them.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • S1ipperyJim
    S1ipperyJim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enslaved wrote: »
    Best way to lvl fast solo
    • equip full training gear (all but weapons, these should be sharpened)
    • go to Vivec's Antlers in dead hours, so almost no competition will be there
    • use AOE and execute skills to farm dreugs and dc invaders at the same time
    • ?????
    • profit

BTW, for all future leveling, farm some of the starter islands for trainee set jewelry, lvl 10, 20,30 and 40. While doing so, you will find a ton of other trainee gear that you could combine as you please. This way, all your future leveling will be smooth(moist if you picked Saxhleel), since extra stats that trainee set provides are great for any leveling. Sets to combine trainee with depend on type of char you use, for stamina go with hundings and for magicka julianos. Also, don't be cheap as emeric, invest in some psyjic ambrosia for even faster leveling.

This doesn't level fighter's guild, whereas dolmens do
  • S1ipperyJim
    S1ipperyJim
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because the dolmens reset perfectly timed so that you can go from one to the next continuously
  • Xylphan
    Xylphan
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. XP potion
    2. Training gear
    3. Skyreach carry

You'll hit 50 in a few hours. A number of people who already have multiple level 50's do this.

If you're a new player I absolutely do NOT recommend you do this. You'll be at level cap but you will be completely useless.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know, right? It's such a shame the game ends once you reach 50. I hate having to re-roll new characters every time one makes it to 50 and gets auto-deleted by the server. :p
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The Dolmens can be farmed by doing 2 or 3 that are fairly close to Wayshrines, and once you get the pattern down a group can arrive at the Dolmens startup, beat it then go to the next arriving at startup.... over and over and over.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 to 10 lvls just casual play. The nice thing about dolmens is youblvl fighter guild at same time. So unless u want to lvl that seperstly at least run dolmens till lvl ten fighters guild.
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I know, right? It's such a shame the game ends once you reach 50. I hate having to re-roll new characters every time one makes it to 50 and gets auto-deleted by the server. :p

You are hilarious, in a jack ass kinda way. Snarky comments aside, the question is valid. Why would a NEW player want to immediately grind to level cap when there is so much to explore and take in?
    Edited by Bouldercleave on June 1, 2017 2:14AM
  • Nyghthowler
    Nyghthowler
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You are hilarious, in a jack ass kinda way. Snarky comments aside, the question is valid. Why would a NEW player want to immediately grind to level cap when there is so much to explore and take in?

Non snarky answer; possibly the player only cares about PvP and wants to start earning CP as quickly as possible. Only reason I can think of...
    I'm not prejudiced; I hate everyone equally !
  • Pwnyridah
    Pwnyridah
    ✭✭✭
    When main questing, speed through all quest text except the mages guild final decision to get the skill point. Run past mobs to quest objectives. This gives faster xp and unlocks skill points.

Otherwise, alikr dolmen rotation and skyshard runs.

Wear training gear, use scrolls or xp pots if you can.

Go to in craglorn and tell people in zonechat you're a new player leveling your first toon and was suggested to ask for help in skyreach (catacombs). If no one helps you, uninstall the game because the community is toxic. Jk...go back to your dolmens.
  • WhitePawPrints
    WhitePawPrints
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand why a new player would want to skip all the content just to reach max level. Especially if you do dolmens; you will learn no skills on how to play the game. You can read your guides and have other people tell you how to play but ESO is one of the few games that does require some actual learning to become good at.

My first nightblade was slow to level, and I was fighting NPC's 12 levels higher than myself without an issue - and that was before the change to Champion Points.
  • Rygonix
    Rygonix
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would venture to assume it's because most of the dolmens are easy to get to, and are not far from a wayshrine. Some zones are a nightmare to dolmen hunt, even if just to complete the fighter's guild daily. I believe in Rivenspire there is a dolmen where you have to swim over an ocean to a small island that contains the Dolmen. Suffice to say you don't see bots running that zone too much.

Also for reference there can only be one domen active at a time, and they spawn in a specific order per zone. The one dolmen previous to another has to be completed before that one spawns.

Edit: I am slow to post apparently.
    Edited by Rygonix on June 1, 2017 3:11AM
    Ceres Des Mortem-Dark Elf Templar, EP
    PC-NA
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One reason to level fast that people are overlooking is that it's nice to be able to use a complete crafted armor set without leveling out of it and having to dump it again for higher-level pieces. That's the main reason right there, for a lot of people. Otherwise, yeah, taking the game slow is nice in many other ways.

I leveled my first character super slowly, and wow, it was an eye-opener when I realized that once you have CP 160 gear, you never have to change it again unless you want to. That is REALLY nice. I think some people here are under-rating how awesome that is.

But they're free to level slowly if they want to. B)

Most people who want to level fast are NOT new players, but people who already have 4+ characters and who are already excellent at playing the game. They don't have to "learn to play" because they already know how.

Edited by SydneyGrey on June 1, 2017 6:24AM
  • Furinol
    Furinol
    ✭✭

I'm not sure if doing the Alikr dolmen slog from 1-50 would allow anybody to learn anything other than to drop an aoe immediately upon seeing red and hope you get a tick of damage in before the zerg clears everything. Normally I agree with your stance that fast leveling doesn't equal ignorance but I'm positive a new player could do the dolmen thing and learn absolutely nothing about how to play their character.

I'm no pro but when I start a character I just go from zone to zone wiping out the delves 1x, the dolmens 1x, the public dungeon for a bit and getting the skyshards.

Not fast but you will need/want the skillpoints eventually anyways.