The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

War Maiden Set - Broken >?

Rackiera
Rackiera
✭✭✭
Hiah All.

I tried running this with BSW, 2 5 piece bonus, no dps increase, infact lower due to me moving Llambris etc.

Then tried running Maiden on it's own, tooltip shows no increase, but then tested on target dummy and worse than Julianos even though 5 piece bonus is meant to be higher for magic dam.

Anyone tested this ?, Am I missing something ?

Thanks in advance.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wild guess: the set's bonus is not boosted by major sorcery (since it is not "spellpower", but "magic damage").
    Options
  • cazlonb16_ESO
    cazlonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you test actual Magic damage abilities, i.e. Templar stuff and some Nightblade spells ? The bonus won't ( or shouldn't anyway, never know with ZOS ) apply to spells doing fire and other elemental damage.
    Edited by cazlonb16_ESO on May 29, 2017 5:49AM
    Options
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it only adds 400 dmg to your abilities that deal purely Magick damage, not fire, frost, lightning dmg. If you don't have that many skills dealing Mag dmg, you might see a DPS decrease?
    Edited by Idinuse on May 29, 2017 3:09PM
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
    Options
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    Wild guess: the set's bonus is not boosted by major sorcery (since it is not "spellpower", but "magic damage").

Yeah it is increased by Sorcery.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
    Options
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. From what i gathered set bonuses that do not increase spell/weapon power don't get boosted (i.e. increase 2H damage, increase fire damage, etc.) so i thought this was the case here as well. Live and learn, i guess :)
    Options
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I compared Julianos and War Maiden on a dummy, and I got higher dmg for Magicka spells with War Maiden. I tested each individual skill.
    Options
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    maxjapank wrote: »
    I compared Julianos and War Maiden on a dummy, and I got higher dmg for Magicka spells with War Maiden. I tested each individual skill.

It is not magica skills but ones which deal magic damage.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

Options
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    STEVIL wrote: »

That's what I meant. Magicka dmg skills do higher dmg than Julianos. But Fire dmg skills did higher dmg with Julianos than with War Maiden. As it should. Feel free to test it yourself.
    Edited by maxjapank on May 29, 2017 6:41AM
    Options
  • Flameheart
    Flameheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. From what i gathered set bonuses that do not increase spell/weapon power don't get boosted (i.e. increase 2H damage, increase fire damage, etc.) so i thought this was the case here as well. Live and learn, i guess :)

They get boosted fine. It was tested for Silks of the Sun (spell damage for fire skills) recently and therefore SotS is now rated on the same lvl as BSW for magDKs, if you want some more life (which might be a good idea for the tons of inc damage in the new trial). In addition you may farm sharpened staves easier or even buy them because they are overworld drop and BoE, if you don't have a vMA staff. You won't see the scaling with spell damage in your spell damage tooltip on your char screen, but you can test and watch it for your tooltip skill damage.

To the TO: At moment many people I know doubt that War Maiden will bring some remarkable dps increase to the table, because it does affect just Magic damage not elemental (fire, frost, lightning) damage or spell damage overall (so read the tooltips of the skills you use in your rota).

- a DK will do the most dps with fire related skills. The only non fire damage are lightning heavy attacks. So go with BSW or SotS.
    - a Sorc will do the same with lightning and some fire (Elemental Blockade). If you play with pet -> Necropotence, without pet -> Netch
    - a NB might get some advantage out of it when you use Funnel Health / Swallow Soul as your spammable (and you are able to sustain a spammable at all after the nerfs to sustain). A NB will still use Fire Blockade, which is a remarkable portion of NB dps.
    -a Templar still uses Fire Blockade and Reflecting Light / Vampire's Bane as major dps skills in the rota in PvE. They are fire based damage and won't be affected by War Maiden.

Add to that, that often you just can't sustain your former spam skills and have to do heavy staff attacks in exchange. Those are mostly lightning HA. They won't be affected by War Maiden too.

In my eyes War Maiden is a NB set for people who don't have or want to farm Scathing Mage. With Scathing Mage you will use Force Pulse as spammable (because it counts as 3 attacks which all can trigger the Scathing Mage proc), with WM you will use the siphoning spam skill. The later one is almost unremarkable less dps, but you add some healing to the group if you use the right morph (which might help in the new trial). I will definitely try it for my NB after achieving a full divines, but as I have Scathing already traders won't make a fortune with me :-)

Maybe it's usable for a Warden too, if you don't use too many cold related skills, but I have far too less clue about the Warden class at moment. Mine is lvl 7 :-)

Edited by Flameheart on May 29, 2017 1:41PM
    Sometimes the prey turns and nips us... it's a small thing.

So let the snow flakes and unicorns dance alone until they melt or vanish from existence, we will finish up with those smart enough to stay in the glowing circle of love.

Selissi - CP 1k+ Redguard Stamina Nightblade (Ebonheart Pact)
    Silmerel - CP 1k+ Breton Magicka Templar (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sunja - CP 1k+ Dunmer Magicka Nightblade (Ebonheart Pact)
    Suldreni - CP 1k+ Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sulhelka - CP 1k+ Altmer Magicka Sorcerer (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sylundine - CP 1k+ Breton Magicka Warden (Ebonheart Pact)

Options
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    and yet, sharpened purple swords price like about 500k-999K gold. Lol.
    Options
  • Draqone
    Draqone
    ✭✭✭✭

@Sharee This was disproven many times on this forum. Please edit your post, it just spreads misinformation.

@Rackiera It increases the damage of abilities that deal pure magick damage (like crystal frags), not all magicka abilities.
    ESO Balance:
    “All skills are equal, but some skills are more equal than others.”
    Options
  • BigBadVolk
    BigBadVolk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well that set would be op on mNB and templar if we would have Pure magick damage pased staff or smth like that, until then
    Scathing/BSW/SotS/Necro/Netch will be better option then that, but still good for vDungeons maybe....
    "The ass is similar to the opinion: Everyone has it, but no one cares about the others!"
    I'm 120 years old
    Options
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mocap wrote: »

@Sharee This was disproven many times on this forum. Please edit your post, it just spreads misinformation.

It would be spreading misinformation if i stated it as a fact. I did not. I clearly stated it was a guess. On top of that it was corrected two posts below. So i see no need to edit it. I try not to edit my posts that have already been replied to as a matter of principle, because it might make the conversation confusing to someone reading through it later.
    Edited by Sharee on May 29, 2017 11:10AM
    Options
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative

It would be spreading misinformation if i stated it as a fact. I did not. I clearly stated it was a guess. On top of that it was corrected two posts below. So i see no need to edit it. I try not to edit my posts that have already been replied to as a matter of principle, because it might make the conversation confusing to someone reading through it later.

It gets boosted. I tested those sets for their compatibility with major and minor buffs. They do get buffed. There's a thread about it on here with detailed testing by @Sodantok and me.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/343255/psa-for-sets-like-automaton-netch-war-maiden#latest

Problem here is probably that the skills (or at least a part of them) used by the OP were dealing elemental damage instead of magic damage. Destruction staff skills, icy warden skills, fire based dk skills, lightning based sorc skills and reflective light from templars don't get buffed by war maiden.

Magic damage =/= elemental damage.
    PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
    Options
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yah I've seen people advertising that set for waaay too high amounts. I think many don't realize that "Magic" damage does not mean "Magicka" based spells and think every spell on their bar is going to go up.

IMO Julianos will offer more damage than this set, since the bonuses effect every skill you use, not just a couple of them (in a typical magicka DPS set up). It offers 3/4 off the amount of Spell damage on the fifth bonus so a little math tells me it will fare better than WM in nearly all scenarios.
    Options
  • Flameheart
    Flameheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And i wonder why...the only class that might use still swords as a DD in PvE might be the magplar and I would not wear that set on a templar (Julianos is the way to go imho) and even he might have serious issues, because you now need to use HAs for sustain and weave LAs between your dots for dps and ultireg. LAs with a sword on a magicka build don't do that much damage...in other words they hit like a wet noodle.

Edited by Flameheart on May 31, 2017 12:46PM

So let the snow flakes and unicorns dance alone until they melt or vanish from existence, we will finish up with those smart enough to stay in the glowing circle of love.

Options
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

This was never true, just rampant misinformation
    Options
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Flameheart wrote: »

And i wonder why...the only class that might use still swords as a DPS in PvE might be the magplar and I would not wear that set on a templar (Julianos is the way to go imho) and even he might have serious issues, because you now need to weave now HAs for sustain and LAs between your dots for dps and ultireg. LAs with a sword on a magicka build don't do that much damage...in other words they hit like a wet noodle.

PVP
    Options
  • joaaocaampos
    joaaocaampos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember that "(4 items)" tooltip!

In other words, this is the War Maiden set:
    • Adds 529 Spell Damage to your Magic Damage abilities.
    • Adds 129 Spell Damage to your Flame, Frost and Shock abilities.
    Values listed are at Legendary Champion 160
    Options
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »

Yah I've seen people advertising that set for waaay too high amounts. I think many don't realize that "Magic" damage does not mean "Magicka" based spells and think every spell on their bar is going to go up.

IMO Julianos will offer more damage than this set, since the bonuses effect every skill you use, not just a couple of them (in a typical magicka DPS set up). It offers 3/4 off the amount of Spell damage on the fifth bonus so a little math tells me it will fare better than WM in nearly all scenarios.

i think this is generally true of most of the "one type" boosters. they can be worthwhile if and only if you can run a strong rotation that basically keys their bonus for practically every click and where the drop in healing isn't a thing of concern.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

Options
  • Siliziumdioxid
    Siliziumdioxid
    ✭✭✭
    Does War Maiden increase the damage of Burning Light? Heard some rumors... but do not have this set at this moment to test it myself.
    Guild: Ancaria
    Options
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

That's what I meant. Magicka dmg skills do higher dmg than Julianos. But Fire dmg skills did higher dmg with Julianos than with War Maiden. As it should. Feel free to test it yourself.

That's just frags and curse right? I don't even think it affects ultimates.
    Options
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Minalan wrote: »

If they deal magic damage it affects them.
    Does War Maiden increase the damage of Burning Light? Heard some rumors... but do not have this set at this moment to test it myself.

Did not test it but it should.
    Options
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Last I knew Soulshine effects Soul Assault so the same should go for War Maiden. Both together should make a nice magicka NB gank build with that ultimate - guess I'll find out soon.
    Options
  • FlamingBeard
    FlamingBeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Last I knew Soulshine effects Soul Assault so the same should go for War Maiden. Both together should make a nice magicka NB gank build with that ultimate - guess I'll find out soon.

I think Clever Alchemist and War Maiden OR Soulshine would make for a stronger Soul Assault gank.
    Options
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I think Clever Alchemist and War Maiden OR Soulshine would make for a stronger Soul Assault gank.

Possibly but I like the 2 and 3 set bonuses better for the other two sets.
    Options
  • Code2501
    Code2501
    ✭✭✭✭

And i wonder why...the only class that might use still swords as a DPS in PvE might be the magplar and I would not wear that set on a templar (Julianos is the way to go imho) and even he might have serious issues, because you now need to use HAs for sustain and weave LAs between your dots for dps and ultireg. LAs with a sword on a magicka build don't do that much damage...in other words they hit like a wet noodle.

Nothing stopping you from using it with Julianos, especially if your primarily using magic damage type spells (NB).
    Edited by Code2501 on May 30, 2017 9:13AM
    Options
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Using War Maiden rrrreeeaaaally depends on what class should use em. Sorcs and DKs are out of the question. Sorcs are more shock, and DKs poop fire. Wardens, probably. Idk if they do enough magic damage. NBs and Templars, however, would benefit most from War Maiden since most of their skills deal magic damage.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
    Options
  • Flameheart
    Flameheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Code2501 wrote: »

And i wonder why...the only class that might use still swords as a DPS in PvE might be the magplar and I would not wear that set on a templar (Julianos is the way to go imho) and even he might have serious issues, because you now need to use HAs for sustain and weave LAs between your dots for dps and ultireg. LAs with a sword on a magicka build don't do that much damage...in other words they hit like a wet noodle.

Nothing stopping you from using it with Julianos, especially if your primarily using magic damage type spells (NB).

Actually you are right and it raises some interesting questions. I wonder if two 5 set pieces - both with a damage bonus - (WM/Julianos, BSW/Julianos, SotS/Julianos, Netch/Julianos, SM/Julianos, or even SM/WM for a NB or BSW/SotS for a DK, more options are thinkable) have more dps potential in PvE (for PvP you might want to keep a monster set proc for burst) as a helm set like Grothdarr/Ilambris + minor slayer from Aether/Moondancer ?

Might be an interesting build for players without a vMA staff (like me), but it's not that easy to farm two sets with jewelry and in the case of SM/WM, SotS/BSW etc. even with sharpened weapons either.

Edited by Flameheart on May 30, 2017 12:24PM

Options
  • Draqone
    Draqone
    ✭✭✭✭
    Actually you are right and it raises some interesting questions. I wonder if two 5 set pieces - both with a damage bonus - (WM/Julianos, BSW/Julianos, SotS/Julianos, Netch/Julianos, SM/Julianos, or even SM/WM for a NB or BSW/SotS, more options are thinkable) have more dps potential in PvE (for PvP you might want to keep a monster set proc for burst) as a helm set like Grothdarr/Ilambris + minor slayer from Aether/Moondancer ?

Alcast did it on his stream. The result is that the DPS is about 10% lower than the META. He did recommend this though if you don't care about this 10% but care about how ugly most monster sets are.
    ESO Balance:
    “All skills are equal, but some skills are more equal than others.”
    Options