The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PoL, Does it need a nerf?

Ohhgrizyyy
Ohhgrizyyy
✭✭✭✭
I'm talking with my buddy and he recently made a stamplar and says PoL isn't OP and can be easily countered. I tend to disagree, I could be wrong but I really don't think so. So here's questions I have cause I'm sure someone will know.

Firstly can PoL be cleansed? If so the only counters that way would be run purge, be a templar or use wyrds tree.

Secondly, It says it does physical dmg. So does that mean it can be mitigated? I personally though it couldn't be cause of it specifically saying it copies the damage you take, So I assume yea you can mitigate the dmg before it goes off but the actual dmg from PoL can't be mitigated.

If anyone can answer these or test these out it would be greatly appreciated. Or let me know tips on how to counter.

My last statement on this is, If can't be mitigated, Can't be dodged or blocked. It seems wayy too strong. It needs some kind of fix or nerf.
Playing on PS4 NA server and current characters are CP 750

Lvl 50 EP High Elf Magsorc PvP (outdated)
Lvl 50 EP Wood Elf Nightblade (Currently my crafter)
Lvl 50 EP High Elf Magplar PvP (outdated healbot)
Lvl 50 EP Redguard Stam DK PvE (updating)
Lvl 50 EP Dark Elf Mag DK PvP

All my builds are outdated...I quit for a year lmao

PSN ID: SDL_Griz
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im with you on this one OP, its easily overperforming, more so in group vs group. Everyone dmging you or the target who has Power of the light on will contribute to the copied dmg, and if more then one stamplar has it on you then you will most likely take a unmitigated,unblockable, unavoideable 20k hit. Each potl easily hits for 10k consistently, and its too strong.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Ohhgrizyyy
    Ohhgrizyyy
    ✭✭✭✭
    olsborg wrote: »
    Im with you on this one OP, its easily overperforming, more so in group vs group. Everyone dmging you or the target who has Power of the light on will contribute to the copied dmg, and if more then one stamplar has it on you then you will most likely take a unmitigated,unblockable, unavoideable 20k hit. Each potl easily hits for 10k consistently, and its too strong.

It's OP is group vs group and and in dueling imo, Me and my buddy duel all the time and he talks *** saying he's so good even though all he does is dot me up and jab, I get bit by a 7-10k PoL and and even if I get away from jabs I'm still getting hit for at least 4k from dots. I mean I'm on console so yea I can dodge it but that's a bug dodging the last hit and is fixed in the morrowind patch.

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a hard counter to PoL. Cleans. Especially in the example provided with the previous post, in a group at least one should have a cleans.
  • Ohhgrizyyy
    Ohhgrizyyy
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is a hard counter to PoL. Cleans. Especially in the example provided with the previous post, in a group at least one should have a cleans.

Well in duels and small scale you don't always have a cleanse...So I'm forced to run a templar, Wyrds tree or a 6k mag purge which can't really be afforded by stam builds...Wow

• Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Don't forget about shields....damage vs shields doesn't store up at all.
    Noobplar
  • Ohhgrizyyy
    Ohhgrizyyy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Like please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks it's too powerful? Only ones who I think usually say otherwise are the ones using it

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ohhgrizyyy wrote: »

Well in duels and small scale you don't always have a cleanse...So I'm forced to run a templar, Wyrds tree or a 6k mag purge which can't really be afforded by stam builds...Wow

I did say groups should have a cleans, however, it is a choice to not run a cleans when dueling and the game should not be balanced around duels. If going up against a stamplar then may be a good idea to slot a cleans.
  • Ohhgrizyyy
    Ohhgrizyyy
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen arguments saying it hits no harder then Crystal frags but the thing is Crystal frags relies on a proc, And any good player can block or dodge frags when they see it coming or know when it's coming. PoL can't

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen arguments saying it hits no harder then Crystal frags but the thing is Crystal frags relies on a proc, And any good player can block or dodge frags when they see it coming or know when it's coming. PoL can't

Yes PoL can be cleansed and do no damage. Refusing to use the counter is a choice.
    Edited by idk on May 28, 2017 7:56PM
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I hope you have been at the fence to slot radiant mage light to "hardcounter" ganking. Or to run shield breaker to annoy shield stacker.

Shhh... sweet summer child. Don't you know only sorcerer skills are overperforming?
  • Fodore
    Fodore
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's made to be able to take down tanks. As far as I'm concerned it's doing its job.

Maybe a mechanic where it damage based on what was mitigated making it less likely for non tanks build to get a big hit from it
    Before judging a man walk a mile in his shoes.
    After that who cares?
    They're a mile away and you've got their shoes.
  • Ohhgrizyyy
    Ohhgrizyyy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fodore wrote: »
    It's made to be able to take down tanks. As far as I'm concerned it's doing its job.

Maybe a mechanic where it damage based on what was mitigated making it less likely for non tanks build to get a big hit from it

As a stamblade that gets countered to a stamplar with jabs taking me out of cloak and having the shittiest healing of a all stam builds in the game I just find it insanely OP

• Ohhgrizyyy
    Ohhgrizyyy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shhh... sweet summer child. Don't you know only sorcerer skills are overperforming?[/quote]

At least a Crystal frag can be dodged/blocked, PoL can't...

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope you have been at the fence to slot radiant mage light to "hardcounter" ganking. Or to run shield breaker to annoy shield stacker.

Shhh... sweet summer child. Don't you know only sorcerer skills are overperforming?

Complaining about the skill when ignoring their is a counter is no excuse. In a group that is actually a group vs a pug the leader should not be leading if they do not have someone with a cleans.

If running solo or dueling and only running damage skills and one dies, or at least dies to the same thing often, then something is wrong with the build. Coming up with excuses is just that.
  • Ohhgrizyyy
    Ohhgrizyyy
    ✭✭✭✭

Complaining about the skill when ignoring their is a counter is no excuse. In a group that is actually a group vs a pug the leader should not be leading if they do not have someone with a cleans.

If running solo or dueling and only running damage skills and one dies, or at least dies to the same thing often, then something is wrong with the build. Coming up with excuses is just that.

So you're telling a stam build to run wyrds tree or a 6k purge? I get your point. But a stam build is not gonna run wyrds tree as it's a magicka set and is not gonna run a 6k cost purge that will honestly become useless cause PoL can be used again and then stam builds have no way to purge do anything, Out of magicka so can't cleanse and can't reapply buffs. Seems very poorly balanced

• Goshua
    Goshua
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not nerfed, replaced - poor machanic, no flavour.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So you're telling a stam build to run wyrds tree or a 6k purge? I get your point. But a stam build is not gonna run wyrds tree as it's a magicka set and is not gonna run a 6k cost purge that will honestly become useless cause PoL can be used again and then stam builds have no way to purge do anything, Out of magicka so can't cleanse and can't reapply buffs. Seems very poorly balanced

No and obviously a lol for wyrd is warranted, but most PvP is group or ganking outside of duals which really is not a formal part of the game (no duel quests).

So in a group someone should be running a cleans, if not find a decent group. For ganking, well, if the build is not getting the job done then something needs to change. So if the player cannot get the job done and is failing in part to PoL then it may be a great idea to run purge.

If the player still cannot get it done then maybe they should not be ganking.

Considering this rarely comes up in the forums it is clear many players have figured out how to overcome it.
  • Ohhgrizyyy
    Ohhgrizyyy
    ✭✭✭✭

No and obviously a lol for wyrd is warranted, but most PvP is group or ganking outside of duals which really is not a formal part of the game (no duel quests).

So in a group someone should be running a cleans, if not find a decent group. For ganking, well, if the build is not getting the job done then something needs to change. So if the player cannot get the job done and is failing in part to PoL then it may be a great idea to run purge.

Considering this rarely comes up in the forums it is clear many players have figured out how to overcome it.

Can't run a 6k purge on a stam build, Most magicka builds can't even afford that. Why do you keep bring up ganking?

• Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. POL is fine.
  • Ohhgrizyyy
    Ohhgrizyyy
    ✭✭✭✭
    No. POL is fine.

If it's so fine tell me how to counter It? Every builds aside from stamplar and magsorc need ultis for burst....Stamplars get free burst...Either help counter or don't just say it's fine. Cause as far as I see it, Only counter to it is another templar. Which is ridiculously stupid. May not need a nerf but more a change, Insteast of scaling off your max mag maybe should scale off the enemies resist or max health that way it's still extremely effective against permablocking and tanks in general but not insanely OP against everything else

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't run a 6k purge on a stam build, Most magicka builds can't even afford that. Why do you keep bring up ganking?

Efficient purge costs less and yes you can. You have about 10k max magika to use.

You ask why I keep bringing up ganking. There is group and solo PvP. Most solo PvP is ganking. You can replace the term ganking with solo PvP.

I prefer to figure out how to do something that make excuses and ask for a nerf even though there is a hard counter available.
  • Ohhgrizyyy
    Ohhgrizyyy
    ✭✭✭✭

Efficient purge costs less and yes you can. You have about 10k max magika to use.

You ask why I keep bringing up ganking. There is group and solo PvP. Most solo PvP is ganking. You can replace the term ganking with solo PvP.

I prefer to figure out how to do something that make excuses and ask for a nerf even though there is a hard counter available.

I have 10k magicka, 4-6k spent on a purge, 2k for siphoning strikes...3k roughly for a shade or cloak...Cant afford it. Especially if I cleanse it a stamplar can just reapply it for next to nothing. While I go through my whole magicka bar. Again seems very poorly balanced. Maybe if they gave every class a purge from some kind of ability it would be more balanced? Morph of cloak that purges, Morph of pet from sorcs that can purge, Morph of dragon blood that purges? Sounds better then having to rely on one of those most expensive abilities in the game or relying on 1 class when your group normally consists of 1-3 players. And no not all small scale is ganking. Ganking is ganking. Small scale is small scale. I do not attack someone from cloak unless I'm solo and it's alot bigger group then I am usually 3+ people

• eserras7b16_ESO
    eserras7b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    What is your problem with templars haven't we been nerfed enough? Now PoL has to be nerfed? What the actual ****!! PoL has to be nerfed but a sorc can pull out WAY MORE than 10K in one hit, not to say ****** viper nigthblades with proc sets than can just one shot most builds!!!
    Eptackt - Argonian Templar
    Belegrand - Redguard Nightblade
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All of the dmg leading up to the POL burst can be mitigated. Mitigated by all normal means, los, armor, and dodge. If you aren't running cleanse, then you do what you normally do to avoid the dmg.
  • Ohhgrizyyy
    Ohhgrizyyy
    ✭✭✭✭
    maxjapank wrote: »
    All of the dmg leading up to the POL burst can be mitigated. Mitigated by all normal means, los, armor, and dodge. If you aren't running cleanse, then you do what you normally do to avoid the dmg.

Jabs can't be dodged can It? And great for dks and tanky builds but again for Mag sorcs, stamblades, magblades...It all means nothing.

• timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Every time a Templar sets up their backlash burs combot, the enemy has 6 seconds to figure out how to react to it. Compared to classes that can fire off their burst combo instant at will and even from stealth, PoL is rather unimpressive.
    Edited by timidobserver on May 28, 2017 9:38PM
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Ohhgrizyyy
    Ohhgrizyyy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Every time a Templar sets up their backlash burs combot, the enemy has 6 seconds to figure out how to react to it. Compared to classes that can fire off their burst combo instant at will and even from stealth, PoL is rather unimpressive.

It's free burst, Its not like I can just teleport away magically. I can't roll dodge 4-5 times in a row to avoid all dmg as then I have no stam? Again all still seem to **** me over more then helping me if I choose to avoid it

• oibam
    oibam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    L2P
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree. I think it is why it is rare there is a complaint thread on it.
  • Ohhgrizyyy
    Ohhgrizyyy
    ✭✭✭✭
    oibam wrote: »
    L2P

Don't really know what to do besides play a templar or a stam dk, Something that can easily cleanse or just tank it....Nbs can try to get away from jabs to mitigate it as much as possible with cloak but jabs pulls out of cloak. Magsorcs can stack shields but still take the huge burst from it afterwards. It's literally cc everytime they go offensive or waste all stam roll dodging. So either way I'm ***