The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Ice Mage Wardens?!

• F7sus4
    F7sus4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding Warden DPS with Ice Staff. A friendly reminder that Ice heavy attack is not only a taunt but now also a pet "attack target" command. While it might work in solo gameplay - it's a bit selfcontradicting in group play.
  • Wolfen_Steiner
    Wolfen_Steiner
    ✭✭✭
    The more I experience "end game" in ESO, the more I realize the flexibility in builds is just a facade. You can play how you want while leveling but as soon as it comes down to max level content, it's just as cookie cutter as any other MMO. It's rather sad to see and almost feels like false advertising because the final experience is nothing like the experience leading up to it. I too want to play a frosty DPS warden and the more I try to figure out a way to make it work, the more I realize you have to copy what some Twitch streamer tells you to play or you won't get invited to group content.
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was looking forward to pure frost mage gameplay since the release of the game for this character. He was a sorc that I never leveled up, so the warden class sounded so nice to happen... to the day I read all this.
    I'll do try and play as pure light armor, ice staff and only winter line anyway.
    But... What I wonder now is just - should I play as dps ? Or embrace the tank path where the game pulls me to ? Is the "light armor tank" even an option (like Sith Assassin on TOR)?
    - Talking about medium endgame content such as Vet Dungeon (I don't care about trials or raids)
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can certainly try it, however....

Fully Optimized Magicka Warden DPS is currently abysmal.

If you use a Frost Staff and try to play as an Ice Mage, you will put out horrible DPS. Also your heavy attacks taunt enemies when you put points into the Destro passives, rather than boost DPS.

That aside, feel free to play an Ice Mage for fun! Just don't expect it to be even somewhat effective at all.
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given this... should I tank with such a build so? If there is a way to make it effective at higher lvl as a tank it's okay then.
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
  • mook-eb16_ESO
    mook-eb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought the idea of ice staff was to make ice tank. Is this not viable either? surely there must be some sets that make blocking and mitigating damage possible. I though maybe if you had desert rose +other set you could get loads of magicka back use shields and block?
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the thing op - stop caring what other people think and join a group of players that doesn't hold judgement on what you want to use. Group play requires teamwork and you can always play with people who can mix and match their abilities, just like what you would do to mix and match your own.

Will there be 'meta' for any game you play? Of course. Do you HAVE to follow? Of course not. Remember, the game will change, the meta will change depending on the feedback players have. Hell the mechanics will change because the devs believe it will help out the game in the long run. I remember when dual wield sorcerers were the way to go. Now it's pets / lightning netch. There were also people dissing two handers, yet its the go to weapon in PvP. Things change.

Forge your own path and be your own player. I hate players who are cp600, using a cookie cutter build in a dungeon and doing lesser damage because they didn't understand the build, didn't understand the class. You are using a frost staff and dealing more damage than that cp 600? Then by all means, go for it.
    I thought the idea of ice staff was to make ice tank. Is this not viable either? surely there must be some sets that make blocking and mitigating damage possible. I though maybe if you had desert rose +other set you could get loads of magicka back use shields and block?

Yeap it is viable. Use inner fire for taunt and the synergy it gives. Which in turn helps out the group with resources. Use sub assault for fracture and breach and it is an aoe fracture / breach. You have minor prot from frost cloak, major prot from ult. You gain dodge from wings, gain toughness from blossom.

I'm using a sword and shield back bar with tormentor set because charge shenanigans and Gripping Shards. Ever had a frost ebon set / tormentor staff dropped? This is the time to use it lol.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • Dixa
    Dixa
    ✭✭✭
    The more I experience "end game" in ESO, the more I realize the flexibility in builds is just a facade. You can play how you want while leveling but as soon as it comes down to max level content, it's just as cookie cutter as any other MMO. It's rather sad to see and almost feels like false advertising because the final experience is nothing like the experience leading up to it. I too want to play a frosty DPS warden and the more I try to figure out a way to make it work, the more I realize you have to copy what some Twitch streamer tells you to play or you won't get invited to group content.

this is true for every mmorpg on the market.

you can advertise build diversity, but there is always always a top and a bottom. when the top is known, the community at large - a community that is universally more interested in being done quickly and getting the reward quickly with the least effort than anything else - will gravitate towards and require that top being used for everything.

then you add in the the proliferation of youtube scrubstars self-promoting their 'ultimate, self-named build using the best in the game gear you will never see unless you play games for a living like i do' builds which become baseline because of the lemming mentality of the mmorpg masses.

build diversity is just like class balance - good goal to work towards, but ultimately not achievable.
    Edited by Dixa on June 10, 2017 7:24PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gotta disagree to some extent. If, as an example, 30k dps solo is what is required for end game specs than there actually is a bit of diversity.

Example: Templar Pet Build or before the meta Sorc Pet builds, or the over 30k dps Stam pet build on a DK.

Now you can't go crazy, but that's diversity to me.

There are certain requirements, but I can think of several end game builds for each class.

Now if you're talking about leaderboards that's different because there is a best and if you're not running it you're gonna be disadvantage going against someone who is. But in this context you're not competing against the game, but other people - the game is just a medium
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Gan Xing
    Gan Xing
    ✭✭✭✭
    Docmandu wrote: »
    Linken wrote: »
    Well if we jump min max aside and dont bother with it and really wanna play with frost dmg just dont specc into the tri staff focus passive and you wont be bothered by the taunt anyway simple solution to that problem.

I'm guessing this will still get you kicked from groups because people will still think you're a noob that is taunting.

I've run around in vet group dungeons as my hybrid warden (with a ice staff) and i've never gotten kicked. Prolly cause i'm well past 630 cp, and I don't really ever need to load up a full heavy ice attack.
    Gan Xing - Crafting Nightblade
    Elrana Tinuviel - Hybrid Dragonknight
    Elentári Peregrine - Sorcerer "bank"
    Rán Xīng - Hybrid Templar
    Laurïsil Imlachwen - Stamina Templar
    Helotë Tinuviel - Hybrid/Magicka Warden
    Odin banker - obv banker
    Yan of the Red Mountain - lvl 3 DK - not sure when I will work on em

Seeks the unusual and unique playstyles...
  • Dixa
    Dixa
    ✭✭✭
    Gan Xing wrote: »
    Docmandu wrote: »
    Linken wrote: »
    Well if we jump min max aside and dont bother with it and really wanna play with frost dmg just dont specc into the tri staff focus passive and you wont be bothered by the taunt anyway simple solution to that problem.

I'm guessing this will still get you kicked from groups because people will still think you're a noob that is taunting.

I've run around in vet group dungeons as my hybrid warden (with a ice staff) and i've never gotten kicked. Prolly cause i'm well past 630 cp, and I don't really ever need to load up a full heavy ice attack.

vet dungeons are a lot harder now. they appear to be tuned for the 400 cp+ crowd who can maintain vet trials level of dps just to pass.

it's unfortunate really, since the rewards in normal dungeons aren't that great and one of the largest hurdles you have to overcome is either a) getting the right pieces in the right traight and/or b) having enough mats to upgrade pieces to purple/gold. really hard to get upgrade mats when the dungeon just drops blue crap.
  • Lumen_Flare
    Lumen_Flare
    Soul Shriven
    Personally, Ima build High Elf Warden: 5 Infalliable 5 Ysgramor 1pc Iceheart, dump all into mana obviously. Might look at either apprentice or thief depending on where crit is. Could trade infallible for Necropot maybe, dunno yet. Either both ice or backbar ice front bar lightning.

Back (Frost bar)
    Frost Blockade
    Winters Revenge
    Arctic Blast
    Lotus Blossom
    Betty Netch
    Nothern Storm

Choice between Lightning or Frost frontbar:
    Destructive Clench
    Harness Magicka
    Deep fissure
    Crushing Pulse
    Inner Light
    Elemental Rage or Mage Comet

Honestly leaning to dual Icestaff, will see when need arises. Mana wise should be Around 40k. Optional, Swap 1pc Iceheart for Maelstrom staves bothbar.
    Biggest worry is mana, Warden costs a bit to spam, that being why I'm leaning to lightning.

Rotation:
    Pre combat: Cast shield if need be, Deep fissure, swap bar, Lotus, netch.
    Blockade, L, Revenge, L, Blast, L swapbar, Clench, L, Somewhere in there Fissure pops, Heavy to grab back some resources. Single target when needed. Optional, replace crushing pulse with Fletcher, depending on if an interrupt is needed. Will probably go Vamp, giving me About a 30% increase in regen with stacked passives. Health sustain is good, popping one of my Aoes gives me a minor heal and I have practically a surge in Lotus bloom. Between bars I lose 1% max mana, but overall the build shouldn't lack much. Dropping all frost Aoes should almost guarantee a chill/root, Minor maim on the second rotation if the thing survives through that, while also on paper being fine for sustain, with ~2800 spell damage if I play my cards correctly, before Maelstrom, which would add additional L and heavy damage + another spell damage jewelry enchant. Major sorc puts that orbiting 3k spell damage, with hopefully around 50% crit frontbar. I don't care if it tops the leaderboard, it'll be fun to play, and should be effective daboot.

• Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Winterborn is a fun set if you want to go for the "Ice-Mage" theme. In generall I think the Ice-Mage thing works better in PvP than in PvE. Not saying it´s not possible in PvE but you will gimp yourself compared to what damage you can do with other setups.
    Edited by Qbiken on August 21, 2017 12:58PM
  • datgladiatah
    datgladiatah
    ✭✭✭
    Light weave with an ice staff on a backbar and use winter's revenge, front bar sleet storm though it doesn't do much damage. Improves the strength of your rotation though.

In PVP I'd really like to see an ice mage build that's focused on rooting. Use ele fury to aoe root, or simply winter's revenge/ice blockade/possibly a charged staff and guarantee targets will get rooted from being chilled. Frozen gate can be neat too especially for major maim.
  • Stannum
    Stannum
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are 2 main reasons why frost staff is not good for any DPS build.
    1. You loose 8% of damage that gives ancient knowledge passive.
    2. You loose 10% damage bonus that gives lightning blockade proc with CP exploiter passive

So you loose too much flat damage to replace it for any usefull bonuses.

PS: I have Ice mage warden, but she uses shock\inferno staves ))
    Edited by Stannum on August 22, 2017 9:11AM
  • Gan Xing
    Gan Xing
    ✭✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    Winterborn is a fun set if you want to go for the "Ice-Mage" theme. In generall I think the Ice-Mage thing works better in PvP than in PvE. Not saying it´s not possible in PvE but you will gimp yourself compared to what damage you can do with other setups.

Winterborn is a B*** to get if you suck at maelstrom. I've actually been running shacklebreaker and necro, and it has been working just fine as a semi-ice build. I can get up to 40k dps on single target, and over 100k dps on mobs. I'm still working on the rotation for pve (mostly want to get those undaunted passives). Was able to clear vRuins of Mazzatun (not hard mode) with a pug group (died a lot to the boss, but we hadn't done vRoM before so....)
    Gan Xing - Crafting Nightblade
    Elrana Tinuviel - Hybrid Dragonknight
    Elentári Peregrine - Sorcerer "bank"
    Rán Xīng - Hybrid Templar
    Laurïsil Imlachwen - Stamina Templar
    Helotë Tinuviel - Hybrid/Magicka Warden
    Odin banker - obv banker
    Yan of the Red Mountain - lvl 3 DK - not sure when I will work on em

Seeks the unusual and unique playstyles...
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Running MagWarden in PVP. Focusing on damage reduction and being hard to kill. Very high magika pool of 50K. This is a GREAT class to play for grouped PVP. Your utility is so high. Still learning to play solo. I find it challenging but only been really hitting PVP hard on the last 2 weeks. Tool tip damage with 50K pool is great and I can really put on some nice single target dps.

I have switched gear and skills so many times in 2 weeks trying to fit my style.

Good luck OP.
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want them to buff artic wind to like a dps move - so I can use it

Even at 60k health in PvP it only heals 6k in 10 secs. It's only use I've seen is proccing skoria
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Zimbugga
    Zimbugga
    ✭✭✭
    My friends have Ice Warden Tank and DPS. They are very good combo in PvE (never tried them in PvP yet). DPS don't need unlock Ice Staff's passive what gives taunt and damage shield. You can use Iceheart monster set.
  • Coilbox
    Coilbox
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a frost mage warden. Can't remember right now the exact skills... But gear wise, i run Ysgrammor + Winterborn with Maelstrom Ice staff and Resto in the back bar. It's reaaaally fun to play IMO, and it melts down (or frosts up :wink: ) adds in PVE like crazy. Never tried it in PVP, but dont think the combination of these 2 sets are the best for PVP.
    Might not be the elitist meta that hits the biggest numbers on DPS parses, but hey... i finished vMA with it no problem, and veteran dungeons HM no problem either.

So i would absolutely suggest you to try it, I find it really fun to play and very decent all in all.

Cheers.
    Comrade, a word...
  • Ballzy321
    Ballzy321
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't the taunt a passive. Just don't put points into it and no taunt