The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Selective noncommutivity of Warrior CP

• Zordrage
    Zordrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Teridaxus wrote: »
    Kammakazi wrote: »
    This getting fixed or nah

It's a feature now

just like anicancel :)
  • apostate9
    apostate9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Berenhir wrote: »
    smacx250 wrote: »
    Draqone wrote: »
    WhiteMage wrote: »
    Jeez, how does one even program it that way?

I am interested in that too... I can't imagine what must happen to have those kind of quirks pop up...

Depends on the programming language and framework, but if I had to mimic that behavior, that's quite simple:

Take the calculations for hardy and ironclad and put them into different functions. As soon as a player chooses one of the perks put the function into an array. For calculations take the functions from the array and execute them on the values. The calculations will run in the order they occur in the array. That is they will be executed in the order the player chose them.
    I agree - this type of error would be quite reasonable when considering a dynamic collection of damage modification objects being associated with a character. If one of the objects is borked such that the calculation isn't commutative, then ordering issues can result. That it relates to the order of application implies that the container implementation probably isn't keyed, and is likely just a list where new objects are added to the end.

Why should anyone ever program it like that?
    I believe they just have a database table where all constant damage modificators are saved (like "direct damage taken modificator") and they update this value when new calculations are made.

The damage calculation then pull their numbers from there.

This would be awful code design, but there are a lot of hints they coded it this way. That would explain why skills often have pulled the wrong penetration numbers after they have been switched to stam or magicka (looking at you, dawnbreaker).

In the presented case of warrior cp, the calculations done when updating the database field seem to not be within the same function. So the order of updating the database has an impact on the value.

The database rows have probably been turned into DAOs so they don't have to query the DB over and over for every toon. If as speculated, this DAO puts all the sources of damage mitigation into an array/list, it is entirely possible that the damage mitigation math is happening in the order the widgets were inserted into the array. If Ironclad before Hardy, bad. If Hardy before Ironclad, good. Totally plausible.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is still a thing. I was wondering why I was getting hit harder on my Sorc, despite having nearly the same stats as my Warden. I was losing ~4% damage reduction between this bug and jump points, which are now on most stars. This is pretty sloppy ZoS.

There is no way you could feel 4% more damage.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is still a thing. I was wondering why I was getting hit harder on my Sorc, despite having nearly the same stats as my Warden. I was losing ~4% damage reduction between this bug and jump points, which are now on most stars. This is pretty sloppy ZoS.

Not 1v1, but with multiple critting sources I can see the reasoning.

Still 4% defense gone because you put "milk in before your coffee" is dumb lol.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • ssewallb14_ESO
    ssewallb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's about the difference between a Nirnhoned and a Training weapon. Also what's 4% of a 40k burst combo?
    Edited by ssewallb14_ESO on July 20, 2017 8:58PM
  • rpfc1009
    rpfc1009
    ✭✭
    Thanks Asayre for your insight and hard work that has helped this community and game
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... wut?
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

That's about the difference between a Nirnhoned and a Training weapon. Also what's 4% of a 40k burst combo?

1.6k, nothing. my point still stand, there is not a way you can feel 4% more damage.
  • Gan Xing
    Gan Xing
    ✭✭✭✭

That's about the difference between a Nirnhoned and a Training weapon. Also what's 4% of a 40k burst combo?[/quote]

1.6k, nothing. my point still stand, there is not a way you can feel 4% more damage. [/quote]

When you are between a rock and a hard place, that 4% could save your life. sure, 4% of 25k is 1k, but 1k health still gives you a chance to heal up (granted you get out).

I've seen my health go as low as 8, and then I get healed up. I was lucky, but still. 4% can be the difference between life and death
    Gan Xing - Crafting Nightblade
    Elrana Tinuviel - Hybrid Dragonknight
    Elentári Peregrine - Sorcerer "bank"
    Rán Xīng - Hybrid Templar
    Laurïsil Imlachwen - Stamina Templar
    Helotë Tinuviel - Hybrid/Magicka Warden
    Odin banker - obv banker
    Yan of the Red Mountain - lvl 3 DK - not sure when I will work on em

Seeks the unusual and unique playstyles...
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gan Xing wrote: »
    When you are between a rock and a hard place, that 4% could save your life. sure, 4% of 25k is 1k, but 1k health still gives you a chance to heal up (granted you get out).

I've seen my health go as low as 8, and then I get healed up. I was lucky, but still. 4% can be the difference between life and death

Those sorts of deaths are in the tiny minority, so small they might as well be rounding errors, do you believe in homeopathic remedies as well?

Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on July 22, 2017 5:16AM
  • Teridaxus
    Teridaxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So is this still bugged?
  • Inarre
    Inarre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this explains so much. I recall a post from someone eons ago saying that they recreated their "main" character in another faction, exact same gear, passives, skills, everything. and they could NOT figure out why they took more damage on their new character.

Lo and behold.
  • Tsar_Gekkou
    Tsar_Gekkou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know if this is still happening?
    Xbox NA healer main
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+3 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA HM | vRG HM |
    Flawless Conqueror | Spirit Slayer | Dro-mA'thra Destroyer | Tick-Tock-Tormentor | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Planesbreaker |
  • Nihility42
    Nihility42
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_Wrobel

Can we get a comment on this?
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's never been acknowledged, probably only way to answer that is us test it again.

I still assign in the order listed here in case.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please don't lock this cuz "necro".

Any updates? Yes, am too lazy to test on my own.
    They nerfed magsorcs so hard stamsorcs felt it,lol - Somber97866

I'm blown away by the utter stupidity I see here on the daily. - Wrekkedd
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It is not good if it works like this.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • testd4n1
    testd4n1
    ✭✭✭
    Hello and I apologize if this might be considered resurrecting an old thread, but has there been any update on this situation? It appears that information on this is scarce and I don't have a very reliable way to test and compare since I am on console.
  • Lake
    Lake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is fixed, right?
  • VarisVaris
    VarisVaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this bug here?
  • Glory
    Glory
    Class Representative
    VarisVaris wrote: »
    this bug here?

No, it was fixed a while back.

Feel free to try it yourself to confirm!
    mDK will rise again.
    Rebuild Necromancer pet AI.

@Glorious since I have too many characters to list

Ádamant

Strongly against Faction Lock