Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

do’s and don’ts of eso forum trolling…

• Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Etaniel wrote: »
    My girls friends Dad said in his day they didn't call it trolling , they called it being a prick .

See, people who think insulting is trolling are the ones who give trolling a bad rep.
    Insulting someone, is flaming. Not trolling.

People seem to have many opinions . So when I tell a guy while I'm changing the oils on his bike to do me a favor an check the blinker fluid levels for me , that's good trolling right ?
    Options
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    howdy @Yarlenzey ...seeing how our different perspective on "trolling" was what got me thinking about this whole subject - thought i'd reach out to get your perspective in greater detail...

i'd like to hear what you consider trolling...

and, how acceptable is it really to kid or joke with strangers in a public setting...

or, if you like - you could simply comment on the nature of my emotional/mental stability as well as my current habitation habits...
    Vasoka wrote: »
    Judging by the way OP writes and the things he says I think it's rather safe to state that it's a very socially disturbed and lonely individual who's probably writing from his basement.

that would be okay too :)
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
    Options
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I may have been told that on many occasions. In my newer jobs as well. The people might be on to something here...

i don't know about that @CaptainBeerDude ...you seem pretty darn chilled to me (hmmmm, maybe another topic at some point - "how much can you really tell about a person from their posts")...

then again - that could be the affect that reading your moniker ID has on me...which always seems to inspire happy thoughts of a cascading golden shower of goodness :o
    Edited by geonsocal on May 24, 2017 11:25PM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
    Options
  • CaptainBeerDude
    CaptainBeerDude
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »
    I may have been told that on many occasions. In my newer jobs as well. The people might be on to something here...

i don't know about that @CaptainBeerDude ...you seem pretty darn chilled to me (hmmmm, maybe another topic at some point - "how much can you really tell about a person from their posts")...

then again - that could be the affect that reading your moniker ID has on me...which always seems to inspire happy thoughts of a cascading golden shower of goodness :o

@geonsocal I try to be chill, but how long does that last when you tell someone they can't do something...
    Options
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh... Subject line had me thinking there'd be tips and tricks for successful trolling in here.

Carry on, then.
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
    Have you seen the Twin Lamps?
    Options
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh... Subject line had me thinking there'd be tips and tricks for successful trolling in here.

Carry on, then.

well then @ShedsHisTail ...lest we disappoint:
    1) ambiguity is key - leave the meaning of the post purposefully vague: is it a complement - or an insult...

2). understand your audience - what is it that will generate an emotional response from others: both positive and negative...

3). kindness can kill - offering advice on something your target totally feels they most likely need no advice at all on...

4). less said, the better - this kind of goes back to leaving things ambiguous, best to late people complete the story in their mind...

5). humor - when done correctly - even some of the harshest criticism can be swallowed with a good bit of humor behind it...
    Options
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @geonsocal I try to be chill, but how long does that last when you tell someone they can't do something...

until you tell the god kids it's time for bed - oh yeah - the quickest route from hero to zero in all humanity :)
    Options
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trolling, trolling, trolling

smallboattrolling2.jpg?itok=pMjSDK_H&fc=50,50

300px-Trolling_drawing.jpg

Trolling%202.jpg
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
    Options
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    is "trolling" really always a bad thing

Yes.

Trolling is just being a griefer on a different platform.

Taking advantage of the fact that people can't punch you through a screen, to say things you wouldn't say in person. Gaining enjoyment in the aggravation/tormenting of others. Sickness.

The fact that you feel compelled to punch people who say things you don't like speaks more to your character than trolling does to the troll's.
    Options
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kiwi wrote: »
    once upon a time trolls were rare complex and fierce creatures
    they would go by mostly unnoticed, occasionally rolling a subtle grenade into a forum, sitting back and watching everyone throw themselves on it

its a lost art and what some consider 'trolls' these days are nothing more than unintelligent grasps for attention.

Nice sig btw.
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
    Options
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tryxus wrote: »
    Trolling is walking that fine line between outright breaking the rules and subtly making fun/insulting others

the same can be said for just telling the truth about class balance and pvp balance.

Options
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »

Yes.

Taking advantage of the fact that people can't punch you through a screen, to say things you wouldn't say in person. Gaining enjoyment in the aggravation/tormenting of others. Sickness.

The fact that you feel compelled to punch people who say things you don't like speaks more to your character than trolling does to the troll's.

The real world is cruel and brutal . I don't advise saying what ever you feel in public . I watched a guy in a argument yelling what are you going to do punch me ? Beat me up ? Then he said some more bad things and the other guy beat him up . Bad . He kept pounding his face till the guy was making wet slapping sounds when he hit . Guys teeth looked like broken piano keys . Some people don't care if others think they have issues they just like to fight .
    Options
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes.

Truth.
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
    Have you seen the Twin Lamps?
    Options
  • CaptainBeerDude
    CaptainBeerDude
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes.

The real world is cruel and brutal . I don't advise saying what ever you feel in public . I watched a guy in a argument yelling what are you going to do punch me ? Beat me up ? Then he said some more bad things and the other guy beat him up . Bad . He kept pounding his face till the guy was making wet slapping sounds when he hit . Guys teeth looked like broken piano keys . Some people don't care if others think they have issues they just like to fight .

People like him going OTT are the reason I'm not allowed to have nice things. :)

until you tell the god kids it's time for bed - oh yeah - the quickest route from hero to zero in all humanity :)

@geonsocal try telling an 'adult' that they aren't allowed to do something...
    Options
  • Malic
    Malic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to listen to music as I participate in forum banter. You?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z4m4lnjxkY
    Options
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Malic wrote: »

oh my god - that was horrific :'(
    Options
  • Malic
    Malic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Malic wrote: »

oh my god - that was horrific :'(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwu-6GxBHN4
    Options
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

honestly @CaptainBeerDude ...no thanks...

uncle sam did a really good job educating and teaching me how to get others to do stuff they may not want to really do...after i got out and transitioned into the civilian world - got to spend some more time telling others what they could or couldn't do in the workplace (which is a lot less confrontational setting than "social" drinking establishments)...

best decision i had was transitioning to an occupation that no longer requires me to tell anyone anything - other than to provide useful and friendly guidance...much happier life now...

thinking on this has suddenly left me with the feeling - i don't always like people very much...hmmmmm, maybe i'll go troll some poor unsuspecting soul's thread - just to momentarily resolve that feeling of animus i have for others at times :p

Options
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by geonsocal on May 25, 2017 1:00AM
    Options
  • scorpiodog
    scorpiodog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trolling was fun in 1998. People would believe almost anything in print no matter how absurd and you could just dangle them along for months on end embellishing the story with increasingly ludicrous plot twists.

It also wasn't illegal to impersonate other people or look them up their myspace page and drag their wife into the drama, lol. Ahhhh, the things you could do with windows paint and a bit of html ...

I suspect most of the really talented trolls have become scambaiters or 419 eaters. That's where the real fun is.

Otherwise nowadays the trolls you find in MMOs for example are mostly just unimaginative and awkward, lacking basic social skills.

Options
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Find button... push button... repeat >:)

Some peoples buttons are easy to find and once found can become very sensitive to pressure....
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
    Options
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes.

People like him going OTT are the reason I'm not allowed to have nice things. :)

Indeed . This is why I try to be polite . I don't want to be one of those people that makes someone snap and do crazy things . It happens too much these days . Not to mention but not everyone has the same bill of mental health . Sometimes that's obvious in person to notice but difficult online . Best to avoid unpleasant moments all together and just be friendly or walk away from those with impulse issues .
    Options
  • kyle.wilson
    kyle.wilson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trolling is not inherently bad. It's a form of humor.
    Posing this question, one could replace trolling with... puns, references, self-depreciation, irony... and someone would come along and tell you how much puns make them groan, or self-depreciating just makes you look like a depressing sap. Have your fun, just don't do anything destructive.

I think one would have a harder time convincing others that their 'troll' was funny if it involved a loss on the part of the troll-ee. Convincing someone to delere their system32 or that some horrible(falsified) event has occured.

Finally, do not let anyone convince you that trolling is harassment or bullying. Trolling is a tool, and harassment and bullying are intentions. You are not doing those things by plainly being sarcastic and sardonic for the sake of humor.

As someone who values humor very, very much (I wrote my thesis on it in college XD)... Trolling is absolutely a form a humor, but that doesn't mean trolling is harmless, like puns and irony. True, humor often comes from pain, whether it's your own (a is the case for self-depreciating humor) or some nebulous "straight man" who groans over the cheesier jokes. But there's a big difference between the pain of stubbing your toe and the pain of getting your leg blown off.

Trolling, in particular, often comes from the pain of someone being genuinely upset, as opposed to the playful tolerance of a straight man for puns and dad jokes (as someone who's acted as a straight man regarding puns, let me tell you, it is as much a role as the one telling the awful joke). Those are playful nudges. Trolling is like punching someone in the face and then laughing when the punch-ee cries, because the humor of trolling comes from, as has been stated, "pushing buttons."

I love pushing buttons with my friends and family. We tease one another all the time, and it's all in good fun. But the difference is that we know and trust one another, and therefore we know that the humorous teasing is fond, and that we'd never actually hurt one another. Teasing online randoms is completely different, because there is no underlying relationship to color it. Which is why teasing people you don't know or who don't trust you is often assumed to be bullying.

You say that trolling is a tool, not an intention, but I disagree. "Trolling" implies the intention of provoking the trollee, and the humor comes from the fact that the trollee is not "in on the joke," and treats your post as serious, usually in a way that makes them upset or otherwise makes them feel compelled to defend an action or point. I'm absolutely certain I've been trolled many times in the past (heck, possibly even in this thread), but Poe's Law basically means that it's pretty much impossible to tell trolls from sincere posts, and I'm one of those people who assumes a post is sincere until proven otherwise, because I like to help people. A troll will undermine that and waste my time while taking advantage of my helpy nature for a personal laugh... which, if I figure out it's a troll, leaves me feeling victimized.

That's the difference. So yes, trolling is humor. But it's bad humor, just like laughing at other people's actual physical pain. You shouldn't punch people in the face for a lark, and you shouldn't troll.
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
    Options
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    from wiki - In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion,[3] often for the troll's amusement.

There's a 4th definition missing: [4] The inability to engage in civil conversation using common sense, and instead posts incoherent rhetoric, often filled with profanity.

In other words: more people fall into the 4th category than the first three combined.

This is what happens when people step outside of the rules of society: they turn human.

Judging by their reactions, it's one of the reasons I remain anti-social.

NO ONE on this planet isn't going to convince me the actions of how one posts online isn't a true representative of the person in real life.

What's worse: people will see this post as trolling, because it's much easier to point finger and shift blame rather than take responsibility for acting like a prick.

Which absolutely happens outside the forums as well.

I was taught that if you have to cuss to make a point, you have nothing worthwhile to say to anyone.

Edited by Violynne on May 27, 2017 2:03PM
    Options
  • Xylphan
    Xylphan
    ✭✭✭✭
    This forum is practically a paragon of human virtue compared to a number of game forums. There are MUCH MUCH worse forums you could be on.
    Options
  • LadyLavina
    LadyLavina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    do toe the line and stay within ToS/CoC

don't incur the wrath of the glorious moderation team lol
    PC - NA @LadyLavina 1800+ CP PvP Tank and PvP Healer
    Options
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @geonsocal

There is an art to trolling not all that dissimilar from taunting an athlete at a ball game.

For example: You don't ever want to be the loud, swearing in front of children moron at a ballgame because it can (rightfully so) get you kicked from the park. So if you want to push someone's buttons it's better to do something witty. I once told Met's reliever Joe Smith that he was so mediocre his parents couldn't even be bothered to give him a real name. So, like anything it's mostly in the delivery.

That said, it's no fun to troll people who can't take jokes ... actually yes it is ... but they are often too easy of targets. Like the earlier person who stated that anyone trolling has mental problems. Or essentially any post that @Rikkof has ever made.
    Options
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the difference. So yes, trolling is humor. But it's bad humor, just like laughing at other people's actual physical pain. You shouldn't punch people in the face for a lark, and you shouldn't troll.

I don't quote your entire post for clarity's sake but I found it entirely interesting.

It's the last part I tend to not entirely agree with. Trolling CAN be initiated for the sake of "humour" or for a good laugh, but sometimes it has other reasons. That can be cruelty, manipulation, ego-boosting, or even commercial reasons.
    Too many people cover up their asses by pretending it was all for a good laugh, when in fact it was just for the satisfaction of abusing power over someone. Considering that trolling can only occur when someone in bad faith (the troll) is talking to someone who's listening and discussing in good faith (the trollee), trolling is in fact a power issue. Imho far more than a humour issue.

Options
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The art of trolling is to trigger someone in a way that they respond in a way you can report them and they get a warning (and eventually a forum ban) while keeping your forum privileges intact.
    Options