The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

give Battlegrounds an ELO rating system

BigES
BigES
✭✭✭✭✭
The point of competitive gameplay is to measure and rank your skill (ability to win) against everyone else.

I'm really not a fan of the current ranking system in Battlegrounds, and I suggest ZoS use the already well establish ELO rating system.

The math is easy, and the only real difficult thing a developer would have to do is look at the ratings and find a good distribution and K value to fit for the Battleground players. I would even be wiling to help you do that.
  • ManDraKE
    ManDraKE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, and ELO or Glicko-2 Ranking system is kinda the obvious next step. Fine tune a ranking system for a game like this takes some time tho, is not simple put the algoritm and that's all, that is probably why is not incluided in this first release of BG.

Imo the best would be to have several Q's: solo unranked, groups unranked, groups ranked. Solo-ranked will simply not work, the randomness of solo-q will make the rank very unreliable, and in game like this is imposible to messuare the individal performance properly (neither DPS or HPS reflect the contribution of a player, i can run a full support build that can have a huge impact in the fight but have poor DPS/HPS numbers), that is why the rank should be based on team-win/team-losses.
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    + 1 for this idea.

It should however only count for non premade groups.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If there's no matchmaking BGs are gonna be pretty rough
  • BigES
    BigES
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ManDraKE wrote: »
    Yes, and ELO or Glicko-2 Ranking system is kinda the obvious next step. Fine tune a ranking system for a game like this takes some time tho, is not simple put the algoritm and that's all, that is probably why is not incluided in this first release of BG.

I'm hopeful they plan to shift that direction, but also pretty doubtful.

The distribution fitting and K value are the really only "difficult" things someone would need to figure out for an ELO system. The equations are pretty out-of-the-box otherwise.
  • stevepdodson_ESO888
    stevepdodson_ESO888
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

That's the only ELO I know - and I rate them Awesome!!
    Edited by Biro123 on May 22, 2017 8:40AM
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • oibam
    oibam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ELO coming. Soon. But not very soon (TM)

BG will be a disaster without any matchmaking system ... enjoy the flame in forumz. Soon. Very soon >:)
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who thought you'd need a matchmaking system. You got power ups instead. That's the ZOS way of making it fun for everyone.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • cazlonb16_ESO
    cazlonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feanor wrote: »
    Who thought you'd need a matchmaking system. You got power ups instead. That's the ZOS way of making it fun for everyone.

That's kinda the way they roll in general though, just throw stuff out there without any thoughts spent on possible consequences or why other games have certain systems in place, i.e. matchmaking.

To be fair I have my doubts there will be enough population in battlegrounds to support seperated solo and group queues or ranked and non-ranked.