The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

ZoS's Stance on Dual-Boxing

Fleshreaper
Fleshreaper
✭✭✭✭✭
I have not heard anything about this in a while and at one time it was pretty popular. It used to be okay to dual-box ESO, has that changed?
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Do people have to try to be this dumb?

Or does it come naturally?
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Against ToS, as far as any of us know.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Support page says don't do it plain and simple

One human per account per and one machine per human+ account not two accounts, one human and one machine
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Oakmontowls_ESO
    Oakmontowls_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Multiboxing is "allowed" however you have to be physically controlling both accounts (no programs)
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Multiboxing is "allowed" however you have to be physically controlling both accounts (no programs)

Bruh....
    https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23701/kw/Multibox

CAN I MULTIBOX IN THE ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE: TAMRIEL UNLIMITED?
    Updated 11/06/2015 08:11 AM Published 09/04/2014 02:57 PM
    Multiboxing is NOT allowed in The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited in any of its forms, whether software- or hardware-based. Any accounts found to be multiboxing will be considered in violation of our Terms of Service and actioned swiftly and decisively, up to the permanent deactivation of the account along with any other associated accounts. To be clear, players are welcome to have multiple accounts. However, using hardware or software to play them all at the same time is not allowed on any ESO service.

Multiboxing is the practice of playing multiple accounts simultaneously, including, but not limited to using either hardware or software to facilitate the coordination between the accounts. This violates the intended nature of the gameplay mechanics we've created for ESO.
  • Rittings
    Rittings
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm I'm not sure this is true either. I think they would overlook it if you had two machines and wanted to log into a 2nd one to make yourself an item to research on your first and didn't want to log out all the way. However, you might find the full force of their TOS come down on you if you tried to exploit farming by having multiple accounts rubberbanded at farm spots (though some have tried this... and thankfully it seems they are working on stopping the bot farmers!!).

Multiple accounts is fine though. Many of us have multiple accounts purely because we love to level and test new gear out etc... and so have a 2nd or 3rd account to enjoy the character slots :)

I don't think I'd ever get much chance to multibox even if I wanted... my wife's machine is kind of sacred to her... lol.
  • Graydon
    Graydon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bruh....

Multiboxing is NOT allowed in The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited in any of its forms, whether software- or hardware-based. Any accounts found to be multiboxing will be considered in violation of our Terms of Service and actioned swiftly and decisively, up to the permanent deactivation of the account along with any other associated accounts. To be clear, players are welcome to have multiple accounts. However, using hardware or software to play them all at the same time is not allowed on any ESO service.

Multiboxing is the practice of playing multiple accounts simultaneously, including, but not limited to using either hardware or software to facilitate the coordination between the accounts. This violates the intended nature of the gameplay mechanics we've created for ESO.

So how is this enforced??
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Graydon wrote: »

Bruh....

Who cares...the question is can you afford it to happen?
    Banned accounts and or IPs?
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bruh....

They ban you if you're caught, the if being the key word.

It's not like ZOS has the best track record for security and GM work.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bruh....

The problem is that you've highlighted the wrong bit of the rules, and I think that exposes an ambiguity that really needs to be clarified by ZOS.

It isn't playing multiple accounts at the same time that is against the rules, it's using hardware or software to do so. You highlighted the second part of the sentence but it's the first part that actually contains the bit that is against the rules.

Clearly it's fine to run two accounts and have them both active in order to trade items between your characters. Where the ambiguity comes in is if you have two accounts active on separate machines and instead of trading between characters you run them through a dungeon together. Your highlighting suggests that is against the rules regardless, I would suggest the bit you didn't highlight suggests it's ok as long as you aren't using hardware or software to do so. But what is meant by "hardware or software"?

It would be helpful to get clarification as to whether it is permitted to run two characters on separate accounts and machines, each with separate keyboard and mouse without any additional software or hardware involved, just two sets of computer/monitor/keyboard/mouse arrangements running the default game client without any form of extra assistance. It's the way that a lot of multi-boxers traditionally operate, as I used to do in EQ for example, although I haven't done so in ESO. Here I use a second account simply to allow extra character slots.
    Edited by Tandor on May 17, 2017 10:36PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

Bruh....

The problem is that you've highlighted the wrong bit of the rules, and I think that exposes an ambiguity that really needs to be clarified by ZOS.

It isn't playing multiple accounts at the same time that is against the rules, it's using hardware or software to do so. You highlighted the second part of the sentence but it's the first part that actually contains the bit that is against the rules.

Clearly it's fine to run two accounts and have them both active in order to trade items between your characters. Where the ambiguity comes in is if you have two accounts active on separate machines and instead of trading between characters you run them through a dungeon together. Your highlighting suggests that is against the rules regardless, I would suggest the bit you didn't highlight suggests it's ok as long as you aren't using hardware or software to do so. But what is meant by "hardware or software"?

It would be helpful to get clarification as to whether it is permitted to run two characters on separate accounts and machines, each with separate keyboard and mouse without any additional software or hardware involved, just two sets of computer/monitor/keyboard/mouse arrangements running the default game client without any form of extra assistance. It's the way that a lot of multi-boxers traditionally operate, as I used to do in EQ for example, although I haven't done so in ESO. Here I use a second account simply to allow extra character slots.

"Clearly it's fine to run two accounts and have them both active in order to trade items between your characters."

Where, exactly, is this "clearly" stated by ZOS?

• Judas Helviaryn
    Judas Helviaryn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've always been under the impression that running two accounts at the same time was completely fine, so long as they weren't automated in any way.
    Edited by Judas Helviaryn on May 18, 2017 12:12AM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bruh....

"Clearly it's fine to run two accounts and have them both active in order to trade items between your characters."

It's rooted in commonsense.

The structure of the game provides for trading between characters on different accounts, whether face-to-face or by mail. What possible reason could ZOS have to permit trading by mail with only one account open while regarding face-to-face trading with both accounts open as a violation of the game's rules? There's no advantage gained from it, and as long as it is not facilitated in any way by the use of additional software or hardware I can see no possibility whatsoever of it being considered a violation and disciplinary action taken against the accounts. Are you suggesting that if I transfer say a few iron ingots from one character to another with both accounts open simultaneously I am likely to have action taken against those accounts? No, it's clearly fine.

As @Judas Helviaryn has stated, it's the issue of automation that is key here. That can become relevant when running xp content with multiple characters simultaneously, but many multi-boxers don't use any form of automation and it would be useful if ZOS confirmed they were not committing a violation of the rules in such circumstances.

Bear in mind also that the only way that multi-boxing can be detected in the first place is through the picking up of automation in the form of third party software or hardware. Unless it is simply against the rules to have multiple accounts open at the same time - which would itself have to be detected in order to be acted upon - how can anyone tell whether it's only one person controlling those accounts at the time? The key to all of this is the use of automation through additional software or hardware to facilitate the running of multiple accounts, not the mere opening of them simultaneously which is why I suggested that @NewBlacksmurf had highlighted the wrong part of the sentence in his earlier quote of ZOS policy on the matter.
    Edited by Tandor on May 18, 2017 8:46AM
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bruh....

The structure of the game provides for trading between characters on different accounts, whether face-to-face or by mail. What possible reason could ZOS have to permit trading by mail with only one account open while regarding face-to-face trading with both accounts open as a violation of the game's rules? There's no advantage gained from it, and as long as it is not facilitated in any way by the use of additional software or hardware I can see no possibility whatsoever of it being considered a violation and disciplinary action taken against the accounts. Are you suggesting that if I transfer say a few iron ingots from one character to another with both accounts open simultaneously I am likely to have action taken against those accounts? No, it's clearly fine.

As @Judas Helviaryn has stated, it's the issue of automation that is key here. That can become relevant when running xp content with multiple characters simultaneously, but many multi-boxers don't use any form of automation and it would be useful if ZOS confirmed they were not committing a violation of the rules in such circumstances.

Bear in mind also that the only way that multi-boxing can be detected in the first place is through the picking up of automation in the form of third party software or hardware. Unless it is simply against the rules to have multiple accounts open at the same time - which would itself have to be detected in order to be acted upon - how can anyone tell whether it's only one person controlling those accounts at the time? The key to all of this is the use of automation through additional software or hardware to facilitate the running of multiple accounts, not the mere opening of them simultaneously which is why I suggested that @NewBlacksmurf had highlighted the wrong part of the sentence in his earlier quote of ZOS policy on the matter.

@Tandor

It's pretty straight forward I took the info straight from the support site.
    It literally reads in any of its forms so I'm not sure why you'd suggest I copied the wrong part.

It's O K to have two accounts is all that was further clarified as the help article mentions multiboxing as not O K so you'd not want tow accounts at the same time with one human - https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3487978/#Comment_3487978

A single user can have as many accounts as they like with seperate emails
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3488021/#Comment_3488021

Specifically addressing multiple accounts at once
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/1597406/#Comment_1597406

ZOS_JessicaFolsom wrote: »
    Ah, one more thing. While technically having multiple accounts is not against our Terms of Use, we find that it is nearly impossible to multibox ESO without the use of programs that are a violation of our EULA and TOU and will result in being banned from the game. So, multiple accounts? Totally fine. Playing multiple characters at the same time with the way our combat works? Very suspect and likely to result in a ban since it would require some level of automated play.

Lastly the community ambassador comment:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3986194/#Comment_3986194

Edited by NewBlacksmurf on May 18, 2017 11:07AM
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Totally OK if you dont say you are doing it
  • ZeroZero77
    ZeroZero77
    ✭✭✭
    Have 3 Accounts and 3 Golden rules.

* Never make PVP as long as 2 Clients are online
    * Never be in the same Zone with Both accounts
    * Never make a group with your own Twinkaccount

Cant imagine a Reason why Zos would have any reason to act against me.
    Mein Eso Setup System I7-4790k Non OC, 16GB Ram , GTX 1060, 3 mal 1920x1080, SSD für OS + Anwendungen und Spiele, 16k Leitung nahe Köln
    Wieso kürzt der typische MMO Spieler eigentlich fast jedes Wort ab. Schreibt aber fast ein Buch wenn er eine einfache Frage hat ?
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Totally OK if you dont say you are doing it
    Once again, only because they have either no or a useless security team.

Other companies could pick up on this (fast) and do something.
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZeroZero77 wrote: »
    Have 3 Accounts and 3 Golden rules.

* Never make PVP as long as 2 Clients are online
    * Never be in the same Zone with Both accounts
    * Never make a group with your own Twinkaccount

Cant imagine a Reason why Zos would have any reason to act against me.

Because it's not how they intend you to play.....

It's not about if you're doing something that warrants action, it's plain and simple. You're not following directions
    It's not police work, it's is user following TOS...Yes or No

In your case the answer is No so maybe they take action or maybe they don't but it's completely their call and their decision
  • ZeroZero77
    ZeroZero77
    ✭✭✭
    ...it's completely their call and their decision
    Never said anything else

Finally its their game, they can Stop the server and Bann everybody everytime.

Edited by ZeroZero77 on May 18, 2017 11:18AM
    Mein Eso Setup System I7-4790k Non OC, 16GB Ram , GTX 1060, 3 mal 1920x1080, SSD für OS + Anwendungen und Spiele, 16k Leitung nahe Köln
    Wieso kürzt der typische MMO Spieler eigentlich fast jedes Wort ab. Schreibt aber fast ein Buch wenn er eine einfache Frage hat ?
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be fair i came here expecting a post about fist fight dualing, expecting a skill line request.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...it's completely their call and their decision
    Never said anything else

Finally its their game, they can Stop the server and Bann everybody everytime.

Ok but why do what's wrong in the first place
  • ZeroZero77
    ZeroZero77
    ✭✭✭
    Rules have reasons, and as you can understand if you read the rule and the Comments from Zos Employes, they are fine with my kind of Multiboxing.

The only reason they wrote the Rule as it is, is to deny cheaters arguing.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rules have reasons, and as you can understand if you read the rule and the Comments from Zos Employes, they are fine with my kind of Multiboxing.

The only reason they wrote the Rule as it is, is to deny cheaters arguing.

It's terms of agreement .....
    ZOS employees who are MODs in the forums aren't the same folks who determine when and how to enforce the companies TOS

All I'm saying is be conscious that using your own opinion of what will determine actions against you is based on nothing substantial or concrete especially when even the MODs have specifically commented that playing accounts at the same time is suspicious and can result in a ban
  • Graydon
    Graydon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bruh....

Turelus wrote: »

Bruh....

You guys are clueless and not answering the question. If a player dual boxes - how is that determined? There is no way to enforce this rule.

I think it's kind of funny. There is no way to prevent or prove somebody is playing 2 accounts simultaneously. And here you are fearing a ban or suspension on to them.

Now if a player is using a software hack to play a single or dual box, ZOS can analyze and enforce.

Edited by Graydon on May 18, 2017 11:55AM
  • ZeroZero77
    ZeroZero77
    ✭✭✭
    ...There is no way to prevent or prove somebody is playing 2 accounts simultaneously....

lol
    sure
    Account XYZ is on HD ID, GPU ID, CPU ID
    Account ABC is on ....SAME

Bäm

• Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bruh....

Turelus wrote: »

Bruh....

You guys are clueless and not answering the question. If a player dual boxes - how is that determined? There is no way to enforce this rule.

I think it's kind of funny. There is no way to prevent or prove somebody is playing 2 accounts simultaneously. And here you are fearing a ban or suspension on to them.

Now if a player is using a software hack to play a single or dual box, ZOS can analyze and enforce.
    Other MMO's have enforced it. The problem is it requires good analytics and GM/Security staff to follow up on data found.
    ZOS doesn't appear to have that ability or if they do they're either very quiet about it or simply don't care.

As for fearing a ban or suspension onto them, sure maybe I am. However is ZOS has a stance against it, then they should be worried because if they ever are found doing it, they could face those actions.

It's everyone's choice on how they gamble with such things.
  • ynimma
    ynimma
    ✭✭✭✭
    We play ESO with my wife together - we have separate PCs and separate accounts but we're behind the same router.
    Never had any issues playing any contents: we do dolmens together, dungeons sometimes and also going to Imperial City together, we also trade, etc.
    We don't abuse the system in any ways but enjoy ESO as it is. Obviously if there was any rule to prevent us doing this we'd immediately drop ESO+ and the whole game.
    There'd be no sense to prevent or deregulate the possibility of a family playing individually in the same house while they also use the cooperative features the game has to offer.
    Edited by ynimma on May 18, 2017 12:11PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, first of all, common sense isn't common. Were that the case, it would not come up in conversation so often.

Their statements, and the ToS, and the CoC, have been worded vaguely enough that they could easily say that being logged into the game on multiple accounts is simply a violation. They don't have to let people log in to share items, check mail, or whatever, while another account is active. So, unless they actually come out and say that this is permitted by the ToS, there is some uncertainty. Even if they "allow" it today by not enforcing it, they could easily change their mind, simply because they have not made a clarifying statement that allows it.

While the only way that multi-boxing can be detected is through detection of the software, it is much easier to detect multiple accounts being used simultaneously. IP addresses, hardware signatures, and even account-holder names can be used to determine whether two, or more, owned accounts are logged into the game, especially if monitored over time. They can write software to easily monitor this, and can even have it take action, if they decide they want to prevent it.

This software does not appear to exist, at least in any form that we can detect. It is the only reason that I think that there is a possibility that they are OK with logging into the game simultaneously from more than one account. The main problem with that thinking is that ToS violations are still ToS violations, even if the game allows it. The game is not written to prevent us from violating the ToS.

Automation only applies to playing the game, and with that lies the clarification that I have not seen. What does ZOS consider to be "playing the game"? I consider it to be moving around, killing monsters, doing (or assisting with) quests, collecting materials, and other things typically done with attention to the game. That does not mean that checking mail, chatting with guild mates, trading items, bank management, guild store monitoring, waiting for a group that will never form, and other tasks that can be done while just standing there, are not considered "playing the game" by ZOS.

When ZOS comes out and makes a statement, then I will consider it to be "clearly" established.

• Graydon
    Graydon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...There is no way to prevent or prove somebody is playing 2 accounts simultaneously....

lol
    sure
    Account XYZ is on HD ID, GPU ID, CPU ID
    Account ABC is on ....SAME

Bäm
    LoL!

Uhm it's possible to play 2 accounts on two different PC's.

Bam! .

• ZeroZero77
    ZeroZero77
    ✭✭✭
    Sure 2 PC´s is harder to proofe,
    But not impossible, but to long to explain now
    And as we all know, Zeni must proof nothing, its their Game.
    They can ban you without reason
    Edited by ZeroZero77 on May 18, 2017 12:37PM