The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
The connection issues for the North American megaservers have been resolved at this time. If you continue to experience difficulties at login, please restart your client. Thank you for your patience!

Why not offer faction change on crown store?

• waitwhat
    waitwhat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bad idea.

1. AvA should still hold great meaning for those that enter Cyrodiil. Alliances in PvP were not a mistake, though they screwed up casual co-op PvE. Alliance change would gut years of actually good decisions in PvP design.
    2. More than just Cyrodiil is tied to your alliance. There are numerous story quests (e.g. mages guild, fighters guild, etc.) that are tied to the Alliance of your character, among other things. If a character switches alliance mid-way through these, or even afterwards, switching all that over isn't going to be a simple task if they want it to work correctly. Alliance changes are actually more work than they appear because of this.
    3. Accordingly, the profitability of these tokens is suspect, as the expense in making them viable would probably take way too long to recoup. Bear in mind the higher the price rises on a token, the less they will sell.

If you want to change an alliance, there's already another option for you: re-grind the same character. There really isn't any need to develop a paid alternative to that re-grinding.
    PS4 NA AD ScourgeVivec Loading Screen Simulator 2017
    Khajiit stamblade main - Walking the Two-Moons Path and robbing cute Breton boys.
    Breton magplar vet Trial Healer - Promoting wellness through self-reflection.
    Argonian Tripot DK Cyrodiil Tank - One with the Hist and guarding cute Breton boys.
    Altmer magsorc PvE DPS - Scamp tramp and unrepentant lush.

"30s to eval"
    "Read the ******* lorebook."
    Options
  • Daraugh
    Daraugh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pvp is a small fraction of the game, yes faction change should happen.
    May all beings have happiness
    May they be free from suffering
    May they find the joy that has never known suffering
    May they be free from attachment and hatred
    Options
  • DjMuscleboy02
    DjMuscleboy02
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This would be super cool. I never PvPed and most of my characters are Yellow (literally no reason other than my first one was Yellow and I memorized all skyshard/lorebook locations my first time through.) Most of my friends are Red/Blue and I can't join them in PvP. I've only recently started taking an interest as PvE is completely *** right now and there's nothing else to do. After grinding 15 characters and getting lorebooks/Skyshards on most of them, grinding another of the same character just to try something in PvP just isn't going to happen; especially with the loss of interest that has occurred after the disregard shown for the content I do enjoy.

However, I don't think it'll happen, too many variables outside of just a faction change (quests, items, etc)
    Brodor - PC NA - ESO's only pure bodybuilding guild
    Hodor, but stronger
    Options
  • White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Daraugh wrote: »
    Pvp is a small fraction of the game, yes faction change should happen.

Is it a small fraction of the game , how Are you backing this up
    Options
  • Galwylin
    Galwylin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blanco wrote: »
    I think it should be allowed.

Or better yet, make alliance changes only obtainable through some sort of in game quest or a system similar to re allocating skill points.

Instead of merely another cash grab. You're doing fine in that department.

I am against selling this type thing in general. I see reasons why. But I love this suggestion. Even though its no longer necessary, this used to be the only way to make a good dark elf in EverQuest 2. I still did the quest because it was interesting. The Betrayal quest where you first renounced your old alliance then had to build up trust with your new one. It would be nice if there was always an air of suspicion concerning your character but whatever.
    Options
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why have factions at all locked?

Just set them upon entering a PvP campaign and otherwise change how Caldwell works and the original story just in terms of the faction part only
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
    Options
  • drakhan2002_ESO
    drakhan2002_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just buy the "Any Race, Any Alliance" from the Crown Store...start a new toon with the race/class/alliance of your choice. It takes absolutely no time to level up a character through grinding or even questing.

If the do offer an alliance change, I hope it's a crown store item - support the game! You made your choice, live with it. It's as bad as people want to revert a race change after they discover there are upcoming buffs or nerfs to a race. You chose the race in the first place...now you want to min/max your race because you goofed - pay for it!!
    Options
  • Kodrac
    Kodrac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not gonna lie. I'd use it. But only because I have a fully leveled, fully useless templar in AD that I'd love to move to DC instead of leveling a new one. Mostly because I hate n00b horse speeds. Or how about this? Let me transfer my fully leveled mount over to a new character and I'll gladly delete and reroll instead of faction change.

#makemountspeedaccountwide
    Options
  • Galwylin
    Galwylin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the reason they want to be able to change is more about the things you don't get with a new toon such as a trained horse. And yes, it should be in the crown store for those that don't support the game. But for subscribers? A quest.
    Options
  • Gabrielzavadski
    Gabrielzavadski
    ✭✭✭
    Stupid idea, really...

I know that it would probably balance more the ammount of people in each alliance, because there are people who dislike doing lots of alternate characters, and they can't change alliance without changing characters, but...

The truth is, in my opinion, they should make alliances account wide,THEN, MAYBE... a alliance changer on the crown store OR with in-game gold.

PS - All my characters are Ebonheart Pact, and they will forever be, even the ones that I didn't created yet.
    Glory for the Pact!
    Options
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would like to see sever change before faction change

Ummm technically one server..where would you like to go..unless you mean PC to console and vice versa.

NA to EU and vice versa.
    Options
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stupid idea, really...

I know that it would probably balance more the ammount of people in each alliance, because there are people who dislike doing lots of alternate characters, and they can't change alliance without changing characters, but...

The truth is, in my opinion, they should make alliances account wide,THEN, MAYBE... a alliance changer on the crown store OR with in-game gold.

PS - All my characters are Ebonheart Pact, and they will forever be, even the ones that I didn't created yet.

@Gabrielzavadski

What if I told you it was originally set to account wide in closed beta and they changed it cause.....reasons that didn't make sense to me
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
    Options
  • Gabrielzavadski
    Gabrielzavadski
    ✭✭✭
    Stupid idea, really...

@Gabrielzavadski

What if I told you it was originally set to account wide in closed beta and they changed it cause.....reasons that didn't make sense to me

:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(
    Glory for the Pact!
    Options
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    waitwhat wrote: »
    Bad idea.

1. AvA should still hold great meaning for those that enter Cyrodiil. Alliances in PvP were not a mistake, though they screwed up casual co-op PvE. Alliance change would gut years of actually good decisions in PvP design.
    2. More than just Cyrodiil is tied to your alliance. There are numerous story quests (e.g. mages guild, fighters guild, etc.) that are tied to the Alliance of your character, among other things. If a character switches alliance mid-way through these, or even afterwards, switching all that over isn't going to be a simple task if they want it to work correctly. Alliance changes are actually more work than they appear because of this.

You do understand at character selection, at least early on, unless you had some pre-defined requirement you carried over from a standalone game, alliance choice was completely arbitrary? It was most likely picked due to:
    • Friends that started there (arbitrarily)
    • Your race (which I'll remind is now changeable)
    • The swell description provided. "It sounded nice."
    Your argument, while not entirely incorrect, is like saying "Because you happened to be born in Idaho, you are forever obligated to be loyal only to Idaho. You may not move to another state. You may not play softball for a team in another state. You will meet any tourists with great disdain. You will cut all ties to non-Idahoan relatives."
    3. Accordingly, the profitability of these tokens is suspect, as the expense in making them viable would probably take way too long to recoup. Bear in mind the higher the price rises on a token, the less they will sell.

If you want to change an alliance, there's already another option for you: re-grind the same character. There really isn't any need to develop a paid alternative to that re-grinding.
    Here's what it would take:
    1. Add one item to crown store. This includes:
      • Creating new icon for said item.
      • One short paragraph describing its purpose.
      • Attaching a cost in crowns.
      • Assigning a new item ID.
    2. Add icon to character select screen. This includes:
      • Activation based on possession in inventory: Icon is grey or not, depending on if you have one.
      • Link script code to activation involving character selection, followed by character creation screen with all other options but faction locked out.
      • Save changes reduced inventory of item by one. Cancel returns to character select screen.
    3. Profit.

Most of the backend coding is already there. This could likely be implemented before someone's pre-lunch coffee break.

Furthermore, I suspect there are enough people even using this once or twice that it would likely pay for itself on day one, making profit after that, forever after.
    Edited by Merlin13KAGL on May 17, 2017 2:54PM
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
    Options
  • Anti_Virus
    Anti_Virus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find the arguments against amusing.

Most didn't make their first character with die-hard allegiance in mind for a particular faction. It wasn't even particularly obvious when making the first character, and by the time you set foot out of waling prison, it was too late.

In fact, now there is no purpose in choosing a faction at startup except to determine where your storyline starts.

Why not let characters choose faction loyalty by their actions, not some arbitrary icon on the character select screen.

Obligated allegiance based on place of birth is absurd. Locking a character out of part of the game or expecting them to get deleted is equally absurd. For those that do PVE, do you refuse to PVE with anyone outside or your faction?

You can change campaigns, this is hardly much different.

12 month cooldown is fine and you should be locked out of any current campaign (for the "constant swappers" argument).

Price should be less than a race or appearance change.

EDIT: For those arguing loyalty: Consider that the character is not choosing to be disloyal to their current alliance, but rather wanting to be loyal to the alliance they are changing to... By denying this, you're shooting yourself in the foot.

The loyalty argument is flawed, no matter what faction you're in you will fight your faction NPC in PvE Like in Stonefalls for example.
    Power Wealth And Influence.
    Options
  • White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The only reason I can see for faction change is glory hunters
    Options
  • MythicEmperor
    MythicEmperor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There should instead be a way to not be a part of any of these ignorant N'wah loving factions. House Telvanni shall rise.
    With cold regards,
    Mythic

Favorite Characters:
    Kilith Telvayn, Dunmer Telvanni Sorcerer (main)
    Kilith, Dunmer Magblade (old main)
    Vadusa Venim, Dunmer crafter (older main)
    Hir Hlaalu, Dunmer Warden
    Søren Icehelm, N'wah Warden
    Fargoth of Morrowind, Bosmer commoner
    Options
  • TwilightPrincess
    I would love this, because of a few reasons.
    All my friends/guildmates play in Daggerfall, while I myself are Aldmeri Dominion.
    I play with my main character that I have always used. When I first started it I didn't get the 'Any race, any alliance' upgrade yet. Now I have loads of achievements and came to like my character in every single way. Playstyle, gearstyle, even looks. It's hard to recreate all that and it takes so much time to get all the achievements back. Especially the harder ones like vMoL no-death or HM and now the vHoF.
    I created a DC character to play PvP with my friends, but I would love to go with them on my main.
    Now I just have to go find random groups (and that's less fun) to get my character ranked up.

Please, make this happen.
    PC/EU
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    Raiding with 'Omnia Vincit'
    Guild Mistress of 'Eternal Embers'
    Options
  • gresiac
    gresiac
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really want this option to, friends quit and you know New ppl on other faction but you cant pvp thogeter...
    Options
  • Roovin
    Roovin
    ✭✭✭
    Being It would defeat the entire purpose of having different factions. Reach faction has a main story Line attached to it. Being able to change it on a whim doesn't make any sense.
    Options
  • Sovi3tKitsch
    Sovi3tKitsch
    ✭✭✭
    I would love the ability to faction change! My first character on PC was a EP nightblade and when I joined a AD social guild I couldn't PvP with them. Now I have several AD toons but still no AD nightblade and it would be nice to bring my EP one over. I could see how this could cause a imbalance in PvP but I think there are several ways to work around that. Like other people have said there could be a buyable faction change token in the crown store, it could be made a one time thing per character, or it could have a enormous cooldown to prevent people from just switching to whatever faction is winning at the time in their PvP campaign.

People argue that being able to change faction doesn't make sense in PvE because it messes with the storyline. I think @Miss_Tiffany suggested once that if faction changes became a thing there could be a new questline centered around leaving your faction and joining a new one. Since One Tamriel you can quest anywhere and do anything anyway so other than a short questline to get you from faction A to faction B I don't think a whole lot of other explanation and backstory is needed.
    I might be trash but "garbage can" not "garbage can't".
    Options
  • Scarlett_Princess
    Scarlett_Princess
    ✭✭✭
    I would love the ability to faction change! My first character on PC was a EP nightblade and when I joined a AD social guild I couldn't PvP with them. Now I have several AD toons but still no AD nightblade and it would be nice to bring my EP one over. I could see how this could cause a imbalance in PvP but I think there are several ways to work around that. Like other people have said there could be a buyable faction change token in the crown store, it could be made a one time thing per character, or it could have a enormous cooldown to prevent people from just switching to whatever faction is winning at the time in their PvP campaign.

People argue that being able to change faction doesn't make sense in PvE because it messes with the storyline. I think @Miss_Tiffany suggested once that if faction changes became a thing there could be a new questline centered around leaving your faction and joining a new one. Since One Tamriel you can quest anywhere and do anything anyway so other than a short questline to get you from faction A to faction B I don't think a whole lot of other explanation and backstory is needed.

Agreed! others have suggested a 'traitor' quest line where you g through a process to become another faction member, and in PvP you gain a Traitor title so others of your old faction can target you, for a few weeks or something.

And you would have a cool down, maybe only once per character or once every six months, and for PvP, if you faction changed midway through a campaign, you would not be allowed to gain any AP during the remainder of the campaign or something.

Allow faction changes, but make it super hard and discouraging to do so. Make the player feel bad for abandoning their faction.
    FACT: Haters don't really hate you. In fact, they hate themselves, because you're a reflection of what they wish to be.

~ Scarlett Princess | Aldmeri Dominion | Orc | Stamina Sorcerer ~

Aussie Player | PC | NA Server
    Options
  • HugsAlotOfBosmer
    I honestly don't think this is needed, consdering factions barely matter now, beside pvp in cryodiil. And far as I know, programing this will be quite hard compared to how much is worth
    Options
  • Vudokan
    Vudokan
    ✭✭✭
    I would be very much against this unless:
    • They made it stupidly rare through a combination of outrageous pricing (at least 30k crowns) and a cooldown of a year at least.
    • They locked that character out of any currently running campaigns.
    • Each account could access a maximum of 3 faction changes ever.
    • It is crown purchase only.

If this sort of disruption was to happen, it should at least support the game in a big way by costing a lot.
    Options
  • ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vudokan wrote: »
    • They made it stupidly rare through a combination of outrageous pricing (at least 30k crowns) and a cooldown of a year at least.

If this sort of disruption was to happen, it should at least support the game in a big way by costing a lot.

What a bizarre post. Disruption? Maybe people just want to switch to be able to play with their friends, lol. Campaigns have a population limit, nothing will be "disrupted".

Having to level an alt because some of my friends quit the game and my best friends are in a different faction is just stupid. Take my *real money* and let me switch factions, ffs. I just want to play with my friends.
    Roovin wrote: »
    Being It would defeat the entire purpose of having different factions. Reach faction has a main story Line attached to it. Being able to change it on a whim doesn't make any sense.

Yet we have alts who can be other factions! I could make an identical character to my main and change one letter in my name, but choose a different faction, and then transfer my gear over. Did I just break the game?

Does Cadwell's silver/gold also make no sense? It really *is* just a game guys.
    Edited by ecru on September 6, 2017 10:23PM
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
    Options
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they need alliance change, but perhaps it can be limited to only once or twice per character. That way if you used a race change token in the past and your character is now in the "wrong" alliance, you can change it once. If you have some friends in a different alliance, you can use it once so you can play that character with your friends.
    Really, I'm ok with unlimited changing, but I know roughly 40-45% of this forum is against it, so this would be a reasonable compromise. Not to mention the change would cost money, and there aren't that many people who'd keep on spending more and more money to keep switching alliances.
    Options
  • grannas211
    grannas211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    30k crowns? Get out of here with that.

If someone that is so against it also says "go level an alt". That makes absolutely no sense in terms of "jumping sides". That's exactly what you're advocating.
    Options
  • White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ecru wrote: »
    Vudokan wrote: »

What a bizarre post. Disruption? Maybe people just want to switch to be able to play with their friends, lol. Campaigns have a population limit, nothing will be "disrupted".

Having to level an alt because some of my friends quit the game and my best friends are in a different faction is just stupid. Take my *real money* and let me switch factions, ffs. I just want to play with my friends.
    Roovin wrote: »

Yet we have alts who can be other factions! I could make an identical character to my main and change one letter in my name, but choose a different faction, and then transfer my gear over. Did I just break the game?

Does Cadwell's silver/gold also make no sense? It really *is* just a game guys.

If they want to play with friends just reroll a new character it doesn't take that long these days
    Options
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Artemiisia wrote: »
    well in another mmo you could go to a faction npc to switch to another faction, after one year pvp openworld is nearly gone from the game, everyone had switched to the wining faction

and only 1vs1, 3vs3 and battlegrounds is left to do pvp in.

With that in mind, im totally against faction change, if you want to be in another faction level up a new char :D

level up another master crafter who doesn't pvp at all?

nah. it's just cosmetic to begin with, for that one.

as i've said before, suits me if it's a one time change. i just want all my chars in the same alliance.
    Options
  • Alwari
    Alwari
    ✭✭
    When I started this game over a month ago I didn't even understand the alliance PvP system or it's importance. What irritates me is that now that I've made friends online and found a guild I want to participate with regularly, I can't because I'm in the wrong alliance. My goal is to 100% this game and I've already completed Caldwells Gold and most of the other main quests, so I have zero interest in "grinding" out another character, but I can't play with my new friends in PvP unless I do so. If ZOS wants to promote the social aspect of this game and encourage people to play with each other and in guilds then please make some sort of option to change the alliance you started out with. Either a one time option to change, a token purchased in the store with some sort of cool down period to prevent people from switching too often, or anything else would be better than nothing.

I hope they consider this.
    "Let me guess. Someone stole your sweet roll?" ʕʔ
    Options