Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

How is ESO now?

Megamatch
Megamatch
Hey guys,

Getting kinda bored with no fun mmo to play and heard ESO has been getting better. Pre-ordered it and played from launch to maybe 2 months. I'm mostly interested in rogueish pvp (nightblade?) the stealth and stab kinda thing.

Also do I need to purchase something to start or can I just sub n go?
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No need to sub if you don't want to. It has perks, but you can live without them if you prefer. If you've purchased the game before, just log on to your account on the eso site redownload the game and you should be good to go.

The game is very different now than it was at launch in almost every way for the better.

Nightblades playing sneaky assassins in PvP is definitely a thing. Class balance is sort of in flux right now as we head into the Morrowind update. You may find yourself getting countered by other strong classes and builds, but if you enjoy that kind of playstyle Nightblade is the class to be for sure.
    Edited by dpencil1 on May 15, 2017 6:13AM
  • Nermy
    Nermy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game is still going strong and az much fun, if not more, than before. Nice to see players returning to the game. Welcome back...
    @Nermy
    Ex-Leader of The Wabbajack [EU EP PvP guild - Now stood down from active duty]
    BLOOD FOR THE PACT!!!

Nermden - EP Warden, Nerm-in'a'tor - EP Dragon Knight, N'erm - EP Sorcerer, D'arkness - EP Nightblade, Nermy - EP Templar

“Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.” ― Oscar Wilde

"An Army is a team; lives, sleeps, eats, fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is a lot of crap." -General George S. Patton
  • Graydon
    Graydon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dpencil1 wrote: »
    No need to sub if you don't want to. It has perks, but you can live without them if you prefer.

I tried and I just cannot live without my crafting bag!
  • Vizier
    Vizier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends. If the game frustrated you before it will still do so. Zerg bombing still rules Cyrodiil. Cloak is still broke as ____. Class balance is, meh. It is still Elder scrolls so it has that going for it. Roll a sorc or DK and you'll be good to go.
  • The_Art_of_Paw
    The_Art_of_Paw
    ✭✭✭
    The guys I have met that are in to pvp are waiting for the end of june for morrowind, something called battlegrounds they want to try.

I assume the pvp is in a bit of limbo until it comes out. I know I would be hesitant to fully gear up if the morrowind changes required me to get a new gear set. (my knowledge is from listening to heresay, I don't pvp much)
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can get the sneak attack bonus with every class.

Playing a nightblade can be more challenging than the other classes because of low dps and only one chance to surprise attack. If you don't completely nuke them right at the outset your "surprise attack" basically becomes "surprise fee AP" for the enemy. When ganking as the other classes, you have more options to survive if your first attempt wasn't a complete success.

#FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game is alive but far from perfect.

Now is a good time to get in.

If you are new you also won't likely care about the new patch.

If you aren't willing to buy Morrowind then my opinion is to not bother.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blanco wrote: »
    If you aren't willing to buy Morrowind then my opinion is to not bother.

Even if you don't buy Morrowind, there's still a lot of content to mess around with.

Morrowind is a separate paid expansion zone with a new class (the Warden). If you're first experience with the franchise was landing at Seyda Neen, then it's a massive dose of nostalgia, and probably worth picking up. If Vvardenfell was just a name on some recipes, and stray bits of dialog, then feel free to just play the base game unless you really feel like you're missing out on stuff.

One of the biggest changes is, you can now go anywhere and do (nearly) everything at any level. Stuff does get more difficult in later zones, but the game has been redesigned so that leveling doesn't gate you from content.
  • O_LYKOS
    O_LYKOS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not much has changed in the past 2 months
    PC NA - GreggsSausageRoll
    Xbox NA - CinnamonRoll266
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's ok,about to get worse.
  • Pops_ND_Irish
    Pops_ND_Irish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great Fun game Lots to do never ending

But a warning the flamers will attack this thread. Like roaches in the dark !
    Edited by Pops_ND_Irish on May 15, 2017 9:59PM
  • KingMagaw
    KingMagaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game still full of cheating and exploiting;

Z0$ closed 2 PvP campaigns as the game is reducing in players forcing others to wait ~1hr just to play PvP, never mind going to IC a paid DLC;

RNG is still excused to force people to reply same content hundreds of times for a drop;

PvE is 99% mind numbing easy and PvP is being exploited like mad atm.

Rp'ing supposedly is on an upwards trend lol
  • Pops_ND_Irish
    Pops_ND_Irish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Told ya !
  • Heroeric1337
    Heroeric1337
    ✭✭✭
    Megamatch wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Getting kinda bored with no fun mmo to play and heard ESO has been getting better. Pre-ordered it and played from launch to maybe 2 months. I'm mostly interested in rogueish pvp (nightblade?) the stealth and stab kinda thing.

Also do I need to purchase something to start or can I just sub n go?

If this is your first time coming back since launch, then welcome back!! MUCH has changed for the better, the gaming mechanics have been improved and in some instances replaced entirely!!! Theft is now a thing in this game, and nightblades have solid characteristics to allow a turning advantage against an enemy force if you take the time and experience to put together a good build for it!!

There is no need to subscribe anymore to this game unless you find yourself becoming a long time fan of it once more, as the perks are worthwhile. Also, the latest expansion is coming out soon, many people will criticize it and claim this game is not worth playing if you dont get it, dont listen to those people! Very little is being changed to the base game as a result of it.
  • Megamatch
    Megamatch
    Hey again guys,

Sorry for slow answer, I have alot of RL stuff to joggle between birthdays, my children and work.
    Thank you all for you replies, I've decided to give the game another chance and hoping I'll get some more time during the coming weeks.

Anyways I logged in and checked my old characters, oddly I already had 2 lvl50 Nightblades, one was I think 11VR and other one was 3VR or so. But because the game pretty much feels like all new to me, I've decided to level up a new character to get familiar with the gamemechanics.
    Thus I've decided maybe not to make a nightblade, since I already had 2 of those. Thinking about it I kinda want to make a dark evil spellcaster, pref with vamp theme - I remember vamp was great fun turning into swarm of bats and sneak bonuses.
    So uhm... which class you guys think would fit this well?

So hard to pick in this game because classes feel so... unrestricted compared to other games.
    Any insight would be highly appreciated.
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kind of funny to say this given you're trying to avoid Nightblade, but... Nightblades make good "evil spellcasters" XD

I mostly say this because my "daedric priestess/hex witch" character is a mag-speced Nightblade. Their class abilities have a good "dark magic" vibe, especially as you look at the siphoning line and things like Summon Shade.

If you don't want another NB, a mag-specced Sorcerer is also a good "evil spellcaster" class. They summon daedra and have a skill line called "dark magic"... both quite shady!

The plus side is you've got 6 open character slots to play around in, so there's plenty of space to experiment! Good luck!
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)