Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Werewolf not leveling up

sf37
sf37
I'm level 50 CP 114 Nightblade dw/bow wood elf. I was turned into a werewolf about a week or so ago and finished the quest just fine. I slotted the werewolf ultimate on my ability bar to try and level up my werewolf. So far, I'm only at level 2 werewolf. My ultimate generates at a snail's pace; only spamming R2 generates ultimate for my werewolf. Using my class/weapon skills I have slotted never generate ultimate for my werewolf ability, it will stay the same for days at a time. Is this normal? Before I got turned into a werewolf, I was a vampire and leveled to 10 for that in no time and had no problems generating the ultimate vampire ability I had slotted in no time (same character - got cured then turned.)

Also, which is more practical for my character - vampire or werewolf? I liked being a vampire more, but I figured with a stamina based character, that werewolf would be more beneficial, but not if I can't level my werewolf ability or generate ultimate more quickly.
Edited by sf37 on May 5, 2017 4:52PM
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you have a few hours of play time available, this is what I would do:

1. Get rid of your WW ( get cured )
    2. Have someone bite you again
    3. Do the quest
    4. Finish the quest, but do not leave the area
    5. Spend the next several hours in werewolf form and stay there til your wolf is level 10

I don't know if you know this but if you stay in the area where you do the quest you never leave werewolf form which allows you to level. Just make sure you turn in your quest and then start grinding.

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The werewolf ultimate has a base cost at level 1 of 400 ultimate, and you only begin generating ultimate when damaging with a light/heavy attack, blocking, or if I remember correctly dodge rolling. Werewolf only levels up when getting killing blows in werewolf form, be it against mobs or critters, but they have to be the killing blow. If you are on PC mouse over the skill line's exp bar in the skills window and it should describe how to level the skill line.
  • Synroth
    Synroth
    vamp_emily wrote: »

3. Do the quest
    5. Spend the next several hours in werewolf form and stay there til your wolf is level 10

I don't know if you know this but if you stay in the area where you do the quest you never leave werewolf form which allows you to level. Just make sure you turn in your quest and then start grinding.

It may have just been a bug or ZoS recently changed it, but I had someone bite me, did the quest, and attempted to stay in the area the entire time. It did not keep me in WW, and I still had to regain ultimate to keep going back into WW. After an hour or so I decided I could really level it anywhere else because the mobs were barely re-spawning.
    XboxOne - NA - Gamertag: IlI SYNN IlI
    CP 690+ - DC
  • sf37
    sf37
    vamp_emily wrote: »

3. Do the quest

Thank you, I did not know that. I just may try that.
    CP5 wrote: »
    The werewolf ultimate has a base cost at level 1 of 400 ultimate, and you only begin generating ultimate when damaging with a light/heavy attack, blocking, or if I remember correctly dodge rolling. Werewolf only levels up when getting killing blows in werewolf form, be it against mobs or critters, but they have to be the killing blow. If you are on PC mouse over the skill line's exp bar in the skills window and it should describe how to level the skill line.

I'm on PS4. And as far as generating ultimate, will it always be this slow to generate ultimate, once I level up to 10, or will it generate faster? As I said, the only way I can generate ultimate right now is to spam R2 which just shoots an arrow or makes me slash with my daggers. Using any of my slotted abilities generates zero ultimate, even when I make a kill, fight a mob, etc. I've even been in a few delves and killing the bosses didn't generate any ultimate. I do plenty of heavy attacks, blocking,and dodge rolling, but the only thing that generates ultimate is hitting R2. I have been able to morph the werewolf ultimate to pack leader, however.

• SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was bitten a few weeks ago, and the leveling is progressing at a snail's pace. I think I finally made it to level 5 a few days ago. :/
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You must be a ww and stay that way as long and much as possible. I know people who have stayed over an hour and a half. Put skills on bars and kill people have skill points free.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • sf37
    sf37
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    I was bitten a few weeks ago, and the leveling is progressing at a snail's pace. I think I finally made it to level 5 a few days ago. :/

So it's not just me then - sounds like maybe it's how the ability is designed. :/ Have you noticed if you generate ultimate quickly or slowly?

At this point, I'm wondering if it's worth it to keep werewolf for my character - might just get cured and go back to vampire, or not be either one at all.
  • sf37
    sf37
    DHale wrote: »
    You must be a ww and stay that way as long and much as possible. I know people who have stayed over an hour and a half. Put skills on bars and kill people have skill points free.

I have the skill points free from the respec I did before being bitten. I haven't been able to stay werewolf for an hour and a half so far; 45 seconds or so at most, I'd guess. Suppose I should work on trying to get kills when I do manage to transform (I have gotten some, enough to level up to 2.)
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sf37 wrote: »
    I haven't been able to stay werewolf for an hour and a half so far; 45 seconds or so at most, I'd guess.
    I know, right? Same here. I have the passive that lets me devour bodies to stay a wolf for 3 extra seconds, but can't get it to work more than a few times in a row. I only have the first part of the passive unlocked, though. Maybe the time is extended when we finally get the 2nd part (?)

My ultimate seems to fill up at a decent rate. I haven't noticed any particular slowness there.

• sf37
    sf37
    I haven't been able to stay werewolf for an hour and a half so far; 45 seconds or so at most, I'd guess.
    I know, right? Same here. I have the passive that lets me devour bodies to stay a wolf for 3 extra seconds, but can't get it to work more than a few times in a row. I only have the first part of the passive unlocked, though. Maybe the time is extended when we finally get the 2nd part (?)

My ultimate seems to fill up at a decent rate. I haven't noticed any particular slowness there.

Thanks for the reply. That's what's getting me - why I can only generate ultimate when not using any class/weapon abilities. Spamming R2 isn't gonna do much damage (or at least it doesn't seem to) in a battle, and yet that's the only way my ultimate will fill up. I'm not sure what passives I have unlocked - I haven't played today yet, but will check whenever I do.
  • ddpmacho
    ddpmacho
    DHale wrote: »

I have the skill points free from the respec I did before being bitten. I haven't been able to stay werewolf for an hour and a half so far; 45 seconds or so at most, I'd guess. Suppose I should work on trying to get kills when I do manage to transform (I have gotten some, enough to level up to 2.)

If you transform at the shrine, you do not turn back until you walk a certain distance from it. Kite the cats.
    PS4 - NA
  • IlCanis_LupuslI
    IlCanis_LupuslI
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So it's not just me then - sounds like maybe it's how the ability is designed. :/ Have you noticed if you generate ultimate quickly or slowly?

At this point, I'm wondering if it's worth it to keep werewolf for my character - might just get cured and go back to vampire, or not be either one at all.

The Werwolf is really strong once fully maxed. If you want to PvP with other make shield to use a Werwolf optimised setup(plenty on YouTube). I recommend the Beserker morph thou...
    Cp 1490
    Xbox-EU-AD
    Khajiit Night blade Healer(BiS for cuteness)-Flawless Conquerer Grand Overlord
    Khajiit Stamsorc Werewolf, Flawless Conquerer (1st attempt ww form during the entire dungeon) main
    Khajiit(Master Race) Templar Healer, Flawless Conquerer
    Khajiit Stam dk, Flawless conquerer, 2nd attempt
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQhCmVHwZioVyTEDberxGtA?view_as=public
    Werewolf Veteran player, Since Wrathstone-DLC "Raid-Wolf", 50k dps with fracture, Pvp Healer.
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I farmed in khanarthis roost to get to ww 1. Took 2 hours and once you get devour toy can keep said form for a long time.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • sf37
    sf37

The Werwolf is really strong once fully maxed. If you want to PvP with other make shield to use a Werwolf optimised setup(plenty on YouTube). I recommend the Beserker morph thou...

I gave up and went back to vampire. :D I generate ultimate a lot faster as a vampire and can do enough damage with bat swarm and invigorating drain.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't given up, but I haven't bothered to turn into a WW lately to level it up. I'll start working on it again after I complete some achievements I've been doing this week.