Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Where to get materials ?

ncheek16
ncheek16
Where do you guys get your materials, or do you just deconstruct everything . I've been trying to find ores and logs for a long time and it doesn't seem worth my team at all. I've got keen eye. Where do you get yours?
  • TamrielSaviour215
    TamrielSaviour215
    ✭✭✭
    I pick up EVERYTHING, though most players think its a waste of time. Your best bet is to get your crafting skills up so you can get the perk that gives you a better chance to pull materials when you deconstruct. That helps A LOT. Also, its a good idea to get all of your characters to the level to get Hirelings (a perk in the crafting skills). This brings you free crafting materials once per day for each character you have the skill unlocked for. That is a lot of potential free stuff everyday.

You will notice that some areas have more stuff than others. I find a lot of stuff in Auridon for some reason. You can always join a guild and buy these materials as well. Is there something in particular you are looking for?
    PS4/NA
    Jasunr Cosmus - Imperial Templar, Supreme Healer of the Cosmos CP 240
    Itzal Siavish - Khajit NB, Thief LVL 38
    Bruxana - Altmer Sorc, Powerhouse DPS Lvl 18
    Torvakor - Redguard Stam Warden Lvl 7
    Langsdon Emerson - Imperial DK Tank - Lvl 31
  • Fleshreaper
    Fleshreaper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Farming. Get the addon gatherer, and pick a zone. Gold Coast, Wrathgar, and Hew's Bane are good but there are good places in every zone. If you are starting out, sell all white items and deconstruct green, blues, and purples.
  • ncheek16
    ncheek16
    Right now I'm scraping around for maple logs, didn't know if it got better or not.
  • Fleshreaper
    Fleshreaper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will only be able to pick up the mats that you can craft with, no matter what zone you are in. Wood is one of the harder mats to collect, IMO. That's what gatherer is for. Craglorn is pretty good to me for wood mats, though.
  • TamrielSaviour215
    TamrielSaviour215
    ✭✭✭
    You will only be able to pick up the mats that you can craft with, no matter what zone you are in. Wood is one of the harder mats to collect, IMO. That's what gatherer is for. Craglorn is pretty good to me for wood mats, though.

What he means is that once you level up your woodworking, Maple will disappear. You will go to the next (Oak? I cant remember) I wouldn't worry too much about crafting that early as you can level up fairly quickly. TBH, crafting is only good early on if you use the Experience trait to level faster. Crafting really takes precedent in CP levels imo. HOWEVER, it would be good to get your provisioning up as food and drink can give you a lot off added bonuses. I loot every crate, barrel, and chest I find to get all the provisioning materials I need. If you do the same, you can level the provisioning to 50 in no time. That is the most useful crafting skill early on.
    PS4/NA
  • ncheek16
    ncheek16
    Thanks for everyone's feedback
    I'm gonna just worry about it as it comes. I was trying to do some dailies, and couldn't find the materials I needed, don't belong to am alliance yet so couldn't buy em. Oh well :) I really enjoy crafting and find that one of my favorite parts of the game so far, so was wandering if there was a more efficient way
  • TamrielSaviour215
    TamrielSaviour215
    ✭✭✭
    Materials will come more quickly than you will realize. It seems slow at first but once you start exploring and grabbing everything and deconstructing your equipment from your dungeon diving, you will get up there quick. I understand because its one of my fave parts as well, but don't focus too much on it just yet, as your options are pretty limited. Once you get new motifs, more mats, and higher levels, it really opens up. Meet people in guilds and they will all come to you to craft them new gear :p
    PS4/NA
  • ncheek16
    ncheek16
    Awesome! I'll look at guild now:)