The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[Bug] Staff Expert not applying to lightning heavy final tick

Panth141
Panth141
✭✭✭✭✭
For the life of me I can't get Staff Expert to buff the final tick of a lightning destruction staff heavy attack on PTS. Master-at-arms works; considering the final tick direct damage, but Staff Expert seems only to be buffing the channel DoT ticks. Someone else test please? I've not tested this on Live so I don't know if this is new.

@ZOS_GinaBruno
PS4 EU - Panth141 | CP 630+
Dominion
Almalexia's Fallen - Magicka Dragonknight - PvE Main
Lost Hope of Sotha Sil - Magicka Dragonknight - PvP Main
Claws-in-pockets - Stamina Nightblade - PvE/P DPS
Nocturnal's Guise - Magicka Nightblade - PvE DPS
Udun - Magicka Templar - PvP Healer
Onsi's Shattered Blade - Stamina Sorcerer - Dungeon/vMA Farmer
Stands-like-Mountains - Magicka Nightblade - PvE Saptank
Auri-El's Forgotten Light - Magicka Sorcerer - PvP DPS

Covenant
Tharkün - Magicka Sorcerer - PvE DPS
Rahai-Anaa - Stamina Dragonknight - Provisioner (lol)

Pact
Perolis - Magicka Sorcerer - Enchanter/Alchemist/BwB PvP

• Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is working as intended as the final tick is an AOE impulse and technically does not belong to the staff attack itself. This is also okay from a balance point of view as the channeled ticks deal huge amounts of AOE damage that compensates for the loss of the empowerment of the final tick.
    PC EU - Ebonheart Pact - Gray Host - Death Recap -#zergfarming -
  • Panth141
    Panth141
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Berenhir wrote: »
    I think this is working as intended as the final tick is an AOE impulse and technically does not belong to the staff attack itself. This is also okay from a balance point of view as the channeled ticks deal huge amounts of AOE damage that compensates for the loss of the empowerment of the final tick.

@Berenhir

I'm not sure about that - the AoE effect only occurs with the Tri-Focus passive, but Staff Expert doesn't work with the final tick no matter whether you have points in this passive. Besides, given that the passive states that your 'fully charged heavy shock attacks damage nearby enemies...', it implies that the 'impulse' is part of the heavy attack. As Staff Expert says that it 'increases your damage done with light and heavy attacks for destruction and restoration staves', the game itself seems to indicate that the final tick should be buffed.
    PS4 EU - Panth141 | CP 630+
    Dominion
    Almalexia's Fallen - Magicka Dragonknight - PvE Main
    Lost Hope of Sotha Sil - Magicka Dragonknight - PvP Main
    Claws-in-pockets - Stamina Nightblade - PvE/P DPS
    Nocturnal's Guise - Magicka Nightblade - PvE DPS
    Udun - Magicka Templar - PvP Healer
    Onsi's Shattered Blade - Stamina Sorcerer - Dungeon/vMA Farmer
    Stands-like-Mountains - Magicka Nightblade - PvE Saptank
    Auri-El's Forgotten Light - Magicka Sorcerer - PvP DPS

Covenant
    Tharkün - Magicka Sorcerer - PvE DPS
    Rahai-Anaa - Stamina Dragonknight - Provisioner (lol)

Pact
    Perolis - Magicka Sorcerer - Enchanter/Alchemist/BwB PvP

• Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Panth141 wrote: »
    Berenhir wrote: »

@Berenhir

I'm not sure about that - the AoE effect only occurs with the Tri-Focus passive, but Staff Expert doesn't work with the final tick no matter whether you have points in this passive. Besides, given that the passive states that your 'fully charged heavy shock attacks damage nearby enemies...', it implies that the 'impulse' is part of the heavy attack. As Staff Expert says that it 'increases your damage done with light and heavy attacks for destruction and restoration staves', the game itself seems to indicate that the final tick should be buffed.

Exactly. The impulse belongs to the tri focus passive. I haven't ever tested the staff attacks without the passive so if the final attack is not buffed without the passive this might be a bug.

However, the AoE component of the channeled attack was not intended by the devs but a bug that they wanted to revert some patches ago. This was heavily opposed by the community, leading to trifocus again affecting the whole channel instead of only the final pulse.

So the heavy attack is in a good spot now, I fear tempering in any way with the mechanics will ultimately lead to a Nerf :s
    Edited by Berenhir on April 28, 2017 9:04AM
    PC EU - Ebonheart Pact - Gray Host - Death Recap -#zergfarming -