The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Puzzled about "Invalid" names

ziggy29
ziggy29
✭✭✭
So I just decided to join up but I am curious about what names are invalid. I am trying a lot of names that are invalid (NOT already taken, but invalid).

In particular, trying to use some names I've used in other games, I've noticed that **any** name beginning with "Zigm" (those four letters) seems to be marked as invalid. Would love to know why -- is this some vulgar word or phrase or prefix in some language other than English? I don't get it.
  • ZOS_CoriJ
    ZOS_CoriJ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's possible this is the combination of "gm", but we really have no way to confirm that. Your best solution is to choose another name for now.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site

No longer available to take PMs or messages: Please defer to another Moderator
    Staff Post
  • Lorabella
    Lorabella
    ziggy29 wrote: »
    So I just decided to join up but I am curious about what names are invalid. I am trying a lot of names that are invalid (NOT already taken, but invalid).

In particular, trying to use some names I've used in other games, I've noticed that **any** name beginning with "Zigm" (those four letters) seems to be marked as invalid. Would love to know why -- is this some vulgar word or phrase or prefix in some language other than English? I don't get it.

Hi Ziggy, you could try adding punctuation to your name. eg. Zigman could become Zig-Man or Zig'Man. Or add an extra letter, eg. Zigiman, Zigaman. I have no idea if that will help, but it could be worth a try if the issue is having the combination of gm together.
    PS4 NA Server CP 630+

(EP) | Avariella – Dunmer Templar – Magicka Healer, Main Character and Tamriel Quester
    (AD) | Lorabella – Imperial Nightblade – Stamina Damage Dealer, Master Thief and Werewolf
    (DC) | Wild-Heart – Argonian Warden – Stamina Healer, Y'ffre's Guardian
    (EP) | Ra’Kharjo – Khajiit Sorceror – Magicka Healer and PVP Kitten
    (AD) | Esthaenii – Altmer Dragonknight – Magicka Healer and Fire Mage
  • Lorabella
    Lorabella
    btw, I just chose Zigman as a random example starting with Zigm.
    PS4 NA Server CP 630+

(EP) | Avariella – Dunmer Templar – Magicka Healer, Main Character and Tamriel Quester
    (AD) | Lorabella – Imperial Nightblade – Stamina Damage Dealer, Master Thief and Werewolf
    (DC) | Wild-Heart – Argonian Warden – Stamina Healer, Y'ffre's Guardian
    (EP) | Ra’Kharjo – Khajiit Sorceror – Magicka Healer and PVP Kitten
    (AD) | Esthaenii – Altmer Dragonknight – Magicka Healer and Fire Mage