Maintenance for the week of September 2:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 2
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 3, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 4, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 4, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – September 4, 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

When the servers are shut down forever

film
film
✭✭✭
@ZOS_MattFiror @ZOS_RichLambert @ZOS_BrianWheeler is there a chance we could get an offline version of Maelstrom Arena?

Follow the stream if you like the stream. Marry the stream if you love the stream.
  • Kodrac
    Kodrac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Addicted much?
  • MaddPowered
    MaddPowered
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe its best to ask this question 8 years from now.
    World's First Planesbreaker
    World's First Bugged Planesbreaker
    World's First Dawnbringer
    World's Third Godslayer
    World's Second Immortal Redeemer
    World's Third Gryphon Heart

Top scores :
    vAA - 4D (PC NA) - 154,068 - 8:31 Greymoor
    vSO - 4D (PC NA) - 180,238 - 11:28 Greymoor
    vHRC - 4D (PC NA) - 163,258 - 8:28 Greymoor
    vMOL - Calamity (PC NA) - 174,680 - 9:42 Stonethorn
    vHOF - 4D (PC NA) - 232,362 - 14:11 Greymoor
    vAS - 4D (PC NA) - 117,014 - 2:41 Stonethorn
    vCR - Calamity (PC NA) - 136,091 - 3:45 Stonethorn
    vSS - 4D (PC NA) - 255,552 - 21:34 Greymoor
    vKA - 4D (PC NA) - 247,292 - 16:19 Greymoor
    vRG - Calamity (PC NA) - 301,438 - 24:21 Blackwood
  • film
    film
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe its best to ask this question 8 years from now.

Yeah, maybe, but would rather something be made now rather than wait and see what happened to DFC/Mythic and they sell to EA and never fully own the rights to ICE so now DAOC/DFC are split into some bizarre 6 degrees of separation legal trouble where you can't even buy the rights to DFC from EA.
    Edited by film on April 3, 2017 8:18PM

Follow the stream if you like the stream. Marry the stream if you love the stream.
  • Mashille
    Mashille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure you'll be bored of VMA when the servers shut down in 30 Years.
    House Baratheon: 'Ours Is The Fury'
  • Woopy
    Woopy
    ✭✭✭
    This game won't be shut down for a very long time, I know some Korean MMOs that are STILL kicking at bare minimum players and receive a good influx during peak times like summer and new version launches.

By the time this game croaks you'll have had the chance to obtain everything you could want x1000
    Heart of Ayanad [StamSorc]
    Soul of Ayanad [MagKnight]
    Aegis of Ayanad [MagPlar]
    Keeper of Ayanad [MagBlade]
    Shadow of Ayanad [MagSorc]
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kodrac wrote: »
    Addicted much?

He just knows it will take him decades to eventually get good drops.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'll cri and rage on the forums
  • wolfdoggie_ESO
    wolfdoggie_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    You'll still never get the drop you're after even when it's offline mode.
  • MarkusLiberty
    MarkusLiberty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Out of all the content you could ask for, you choose Maelstrom?
    Edited by MarkusLiberty on April 3, 2017 8:37PM
    *Special Snowflake*

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many game companies have released their game code-base after the end of the game life-cycle.

ZOS could easily release the server side code-base to allow people to play offline (running a local server) or setup their own public servers.

I somehow doubt that will ever happen though ...
    dry.gif
  • Uriel_Nocturne
    Uriel_Nocturne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I plan on being deeply involved in some other MMO before the ESO servers shut off.

Usually the death knell is sounding well before the company ever "shuts the lights off" on an MMO, and as I've done many times in the past, when that time comes, it's time to explore other MMORPG options.

The only MMO I've ever stayed with until the very last day, was Star Wars Galaxies. That was truly an amazing MMO, and I was very sad to see that one go. I was there from day 1, and was one of those many players that they had to forcefully boot off the system in order to shut off the servers. That was one MMO I really didn't want to let go of.

While I greatly enjoy ESO, it doesn't hold anywhere hear the magic (for me at least) as SWG did. By the time ESO is ready to shut down for good, I will be well involved in the next MMO.

That's not me hating on ESO or ZOS. That's just the nature of the MMORPG industry.

twitch.tv/vampire_nox
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say no to Crown Crates!

• doggie
    doggie
    ✭✭✭
    I played Pac man on google maps the other day, I suspect in 30 years you can play ESO in your text editor in your brain implant.
  • TheNuminous1
    TheNuminous1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It isn't about the fact that its an mmo that draws me to the game. Its that its elder scrolls. So when they shut the severs down I best have TES 6-10 to play :D
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While you're at it, can someone get me "Jump to Lightspeed" from Star Wars: Galaxies?

(Yeah, I know there are EMUs, but most of them are for early versions of the game, and JTL is the one thing that just kept getting better.)
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • Molydeus
    Molydeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woopy wrote: »
    This game won't be shut down for a very long time, I know some Korean MMOs that are STILL kicking at bare minimum players and receive a good influx during peak times like summer and new version launches.

By the time this game croaks you'll have had the chance to obtain everything you could want x1000

Yep, I play some of those. A lot of them are picked up by dedicated players/groups and turned into private servers if the game is officially shut down, increasing the game's longevity indefinitely.
  • Ihatenightblades
    Ihatenightblades
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woopy wrote: »

Lol thats what you think . But what makes a mmo last long is good performance and infinite progression. Every few months we get new stuff to farm that takes about just amount of time for makers to make a new dlc with more stuff to grind lol.

Making your character stronger is where the craving really is
  • Deadfinger6
    Deadfinger6
    ✭✭✭
    Can we get a bit of notice, so i can sit in my house surrounded by my pets and junk and wait for the apocalypse.
  • film
    film
    ✭✭✭
    Out of all the content you could ask for, you choose Maelstrom?

What would you choose?

• film
    film
    ✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Many game companies have released their game code-base after the end of the game life-cycle.

ZOS could easily release the server side code-base to allow people to play offline (running a local server) or setup their own public servers.

I somehow doubt that will ever happen though ...
    dry.gif

Yeah, I don't see it ever happening but worth a shot.

• kalimar44
    kalimar44
    ✭✭✭✭
    Everquest is still going at 17 years and counting.
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    giphy.gif
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kalimar44 wrote: »
    Everquest is still going at 17 years and counting.

Correction. 18 years.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just Maelstrom? Not the entire game minus PvP? Just Maelstrom...
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I plan on being deeply involved in some other MMO before the ESO servers shut off.

Usually the death knell is sounding well before the company ever "shuts the lights off" on an MMO, and as I've done many times in the past, when that time comes, it's time to explore other MMORPG options.

The only MMO I've ever stayed with until the very last day, was Star Wars Galaxies. That was truly an amazing MMO, and I was very sad to see that one go. I was there from day 1, and was one of those many players that they had to forcefully boot off the system in order to shut off the servers. That was one MMO I really didn't want to let go of.

While I greatly enjoy ESO, it doesn't hold anywhere hear the magic (for me at least) as SWG did. By the time ESO is ready to shut down for good, I will be well involved in the next MMO.

That's not me hating on ESO or ZOS. That's just the nature of the MMORPG industry.

That "magic" is for most players only available in their first mmo. For me that was also SWG. Not from day 1 due to exams back then, but December 2003 I started by journey. Also until the very end. I still have contact with a few people from the old Eclipse server on Steam and in SWG emu.

I never found the same magic in any other mmo. Maybe a bit of it in Vanguard though.

I still like ESO, and I look forward to Morrowind and the future. But I also already backed Pantheon because that looks like a neat PvE mmo for me.
    Edited by Knootewoot on April 4, 2017 6:11AM
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • Uriel_Nocturne
    Uriel_Nocturne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Knootewoot wrote: »

That "magic" is for most players only available in their first mmo. For me that was also SWG. Not from day 1 due to exams back then, but December 2003 I started by journey. Also until the very end. I still have contact with a few people from the old Eclipse server on Steam and in SWG emu.

I never found the same magic in any other mmo. Maybe a bit of it in Vanguard though.

I still like ESO, and I look forward to Morrowind and the future. But I also already backed Pantheon because that looks like a neat PvE mmo for me.
    I agree on the "magic of your first MMO" psychology.

I cut my teeth on the first MMO's. Asheron's Call, Ultima Online, EverQuest... those three MMO's are still what I use to judge every single MMORPG I play. Not necessarily for the graphics of the newer games vs the older ones. There were drastic graphical limitations (obviously) for those older MMO's, so that's not a point of comparison.

No, I judge purely by game play mechanics, depth of Quests/Content, and character customization. Of which, those three MMORPG's are considered the "base standard" in my eyes. If newer MMO's don't at least come close to what those three MMO's offered, then I don't consider it seriously as an MMO option.

So I definitely see what you're saying as far as the psychology of the magic of a person's first MMO. I do have to admit, of all the multitude of MMO's that I've played, SWG was the only one that recreated that "magic" of my first MMO's. I still pine for SWG, though I can't bring myself to get into the private server/EMU. It just doesn't "feel the same" to me.

Maybe that's just me being silly, but that's how it feels.

And while I'm not hating on ESO in any way (as I mentioned earlier), it just doesn't hold up to those four earlier MMO's. It's a good MMORPG, and I enjoy it greatly. But it's not as "quality" as any of the four listed above IMO. So, I'll play ESO until another MMO comes along that recreates that "magic" again.

Once that MMORPG arrives, I'll let most of my other MMO play time die down to a trickle. It's rare to find an MMO that recreates that feeling, and when it eventually comes around, I make sure that I don't miss a minute of it. :)

twitch.tv/vampire_nox
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say no to Crown Crates!

• Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could get behind that. Only so my friends can laugh or be shocked by the profanities I spew on TeamSpeak whilst doing it.

Last night night I actually got a "That's not Tarvy!" after I rather bad and not very PC outburst (seriously I hate those damn wraiths).
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe they'll nerf it hard enough by then I can actually beat it :)
  • film
    film
    ✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    Just Maelstrom? Not the entire game minus PvP? Just Maelstrom...

You're right...We should all dream so big.

• Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Enjoying the RNG that much, are you?
    1. Purchase shredder
    2. Mount 'Arm' to side of shredder
    3. Proceed to insert $100 bills from paycheck into "Slot Machine" over and over until evicted
    4. Wait for worthwhile payout...
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭