The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Should there be an option for left-handed animations?

Alpheu5
Alpheu5
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Something that's irked me slightly with nearly every Elder Scrolls game since I started playing is how every character is forcibly right-handed. Even in a game like Skyrim where the dual-wielding options were a bit more flexible, there has never been a time where it was possible to have a weapon in the left with a shield in the right. In ESO, all staves are held in the right hand, the traditional sword & board orientation persists, people point with the right hand, write with their right hand, facepalm with their right hand, clap right-over-left, etc.

I think it's only fair to include an option in the gameplay menu that mirrors most/all animations for a character in order to make them left-handed.
Edited by Alpheu5 on March 31, 2017 6:03PM
Dalek-Rok - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Shād - Argonian Nightblade || Dalek-Shul - Argonian Templar || Dalek-Xal - Argonian Dragonknight || Mounts-the-Snout - Argonian Warden || Dalek-Xul - Argonian Necromancer || Two-Spires - Argonian Arcanist || Dalek-Nesh - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Kör - Argonian Dragonknight
Don't incorporate bugs into your builds, and you won't have [an] issue.

Should there be an option for left-handed animations? 53 votes

Yes
58%
TabbycatKochDerDamonenotis67TryxusDanikatAlienSlofcabbageub17_ESOShunravijosephscottmatthewspreub18_ESORickterRajajshka16BitForestCatbaratronEdziuBlake6332MorimizoCP5FastClauwolfxspiceXelrick 31 votes
No
41%
vailjohn_ESOAnnraBam_BamMilvanerebozDaemons_Banedroids097DMuehlhausenBouldercleaveEirellaKingKushDankstaDarkestnghtAtikiNordSwordnBoardDPShiroWrekkeddBobby_V_Rockitinked1jlboozer 22 votes
  • KochDerDamonen
    KochDerDamonen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Dark souls is the optimal game for lefties, well kind of, depends on which game in the series. In DkS1, at least, I know for a fact that you could actually block with a right-handed shield.

Off-topic? Well, if Fromsoftware isn't too lazy to mirror some animations, no reason Zeni should be. :p
    If you quote someone, and intend for them to see what you have said, be sure to Mention them with @[insert name].
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    nevermimd . Sure why not .
    Edited by Rohamad_Ali on March 31, 2017 6:16PM
  • Skayaq
    Skayaq
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if you are a left-handed, since almost everyone else is right-handed it is still most practical to have your shield in your left arm since a right-handed person standing in front of you will be attacking your left side.
    Kazari-Dar, Khajiit Nightblade..........Jarkyr Storm-Blade, Nord Sorcerer .......... Dunric Amedain, Breton Templar

Araniwen, Altmer Sorcerer..................Llirasa Andralu, Dunmer Templar...................Marzug gro-Borgaz, Orc Warden

Calinchel, Bosmer Warden...................Jahrel-Xei, Argonian Nightblade....................Cienri Maraeud, Breton Sorcerer

Inara Savicci, Imperial Templar...................Garoric Attilus, Imperial Dragonknight............ Maevina Tallian, Imperial Nightblade

Ravanni-Ko, Khajiit Dragonknight..........Faevyn Ice-Heart, Nord Warden..........Nazran al-Taneth, Redguard Dragonknight
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yeah. It'd be cool. how'd they implement it though?
    Perhaps an option under the gameplay settings menu.

Though the question then becomes:
    Does the software they use allow for easy skeleton motion mirroring? Or do they have any design interns who could do this?
    Would altering the skeleton animation have any negative impact on currently placed bones/nodes?
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skayaq wrote: »
    Even if you are a left-handed, since almost everyone else is right-handed it is still most practical to have your shield in your left arm since a right-handed person standing in front of you will be attacking your left side.

Nah if you are left handed using a shield you want to fight left handed. Just like boxing you being left handed causes more problems for your opponent than it will for you. You get to practice against right handed all the time. They will have little or no experience in fighting a left handed opponent.

Back to the topic, I would like for my characters to be left handed but isn't a high priority for me. I'm am happy I was able to configure the controls so I can use the mouse with my left hand and the number pad with my right hand to play the game. W-A-S-D really sucks for left handed people.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • AntMan100673
    AntMan100673
    ✭✭✭
    Well, you can wear your monster set shoulder like you're left handed, isn't that good enough?
    EU - EP - Dunmer - Dragonknight - Magicka DPS - CP160

GT: AntMan100673
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Lore-breaking. There are no left-handed beings in Tamriel.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unsure if the benefit. We can offset the targeting reticle to accommodate left handed thinking as it is.
  • Rickter
    Rickter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I believe in 100% unrestrained character customization. I have played other games where left or right handed was an option and i would like "height measurements" as well so i can properly make my character 5'9" or 7'4"
    RickterESO
    PC | NA | DC
    YouTube
    Bloodletter | StamDK | Alliance Rank 46 | Former Emperor of Shor (2018) | Former Emperor of Thornblade #4terms (2015)
    PvE:
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMA | vDSA | vMoL | ALL Vet 4 Man Dungeons

• Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't vote "No" because I don't oppose the idea, yet I can't vote "Yes" because it would be way down on my list of priorities. If there had been a "Meh" option I couldn't have voted for it, because the idea deserves more serious consideration than that. Perhaps I'd have voted if there had been a "Seems reasonable but not yet" option!
  • Milvan
    Milvan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    SORRY, I VOTED WRONG!
    “Kings of the land and the sky we are; proud gryphons.” Stalker stands, the epitome of pride. Naked and muscular, his wings widen and his feet dig in as if he alone holds down the earth and supports the heavens, keeping the two ever separate.”
    Gryphons guild - @Milvan,
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    People will get triggered by anything....
  • Tabbycat
    Tabbycat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yay new animation bugs for everyone!

I'm not left handed myself but I wouldn't mind seeing more character customization.

My character has been carrying her staff in her right hand for so long, she can barely lift her coffee cup with the left.
    Founder and Co-GM of The Psijic Order Guild (NA)
    0.016%
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A very broad generalization: most weapon skills are cast with the right hand, most class skills are cast with the left hand.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Argawarga
    Argawarga
    ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I hear even polls can trigger some folks.
  • Daemons_Bane
    Daemons_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    This is one of the few I'll vote against :smile: They have enough work to do at ZOS, and the outcome from this suggestion is minimal
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Argawarga wrote: »

Yeah, I hear even polls can trigger some folks.

I've heard that too.
  • Xelrick
    Xelrick
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I'd be up for it. If they allow NPCs to also have options to be left handed.

I'm left handed too. But I learned how to work and play right handed, but not write.
    Xelrick: "Do not mix chaos with madness. It will only lead to unexplored adventures."
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I think this is part of why I often end up picking dual wield or two-handed weapons for my main (in games where it's available). My dyslexia lessens the effect because half the time I can't remember which is which, but when I get my left and right the correct way around it looks wrong to me that my character has her sword in her right hand.

I don't know how much work it'd be but if they could do it I'd be very happy.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Muramasa89
    Muramasa89
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not against it but it's not important. At all.
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    No, systems would then have to render essentially twice the number of skills. All the skills with all the CP points is a major cause of the lag in PvP. Suddenly having all those wtih left animations would be terrible.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »

Sure there are, I know of at least ten that work directly for me. One is named Nayati Nawat (He Who Wrestles Left Handed).
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, systems would then have to render essentially twice the number of skills. All the skills with all the CP points is a major cause of the lag in PvP. Suddenly having all those wtih left animations would be terrible.

No it would be rendering the same number of skills. Every left handed skill used means a right handed skill not being used. How many are available doesn't matter. What matters is how many are being used at any one time. One hundred people all using blazing spears would have the same impact as 100 people all using a different skill with the caveat possibly being no elaborate animations. To the server it is just numbers.

One hundred people doing a heavy attack right handed would be the same as far as resources are concerned as fifty doing heavy attack left handed and fifty doing it right handed.

The change would be cosmetic only, much like a costume.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    kargen27 wrote: »
    Danksta wrote: »

Sure there are, I know of at least ten that work directly for me. One is named Nayati Nawat (He Who Wrestles Left Handed).

Damn!! I've been exposed!! *runs away*
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• mesmerizedish
    mesmerizedish
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The rendering of animations is done client-side. It wouldn't cause lag in PvP.

Left-handed animations would be Nice To Have in any game involving character creation. The question is what kind of animation system they've got. It could be something easy to do, or it could be a hecking nightmare.
  • theher0not
    theher0not
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    More custumisation is rarley a bad thing, so I vote yes.
    Edited by theher0not on March 31, 2017 10:12PM
  • Saturnana
    Saturnana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I'd love my DK to be able to fight like I would, you know, if I ever found my inner-ninja.
    @Saturnna | PC / EU

Nâmae Rin : Dragonknight | Dr Milodas Ra'Himo : Templar | Mira Motierre : Sorceress
    Plays-ln-Puddles : Warden  |  Lady Neria : Dragonknight   | Philadore : Nightblade  
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Ha! I do love it when the mortals know they're being manipulated. Makes things infinitely more interesting."
                                      - Sheogorath
  • Alpheu5
    Alpheu5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Muramasa89 wrote: »
    I'm not against it but it's not important. At all.

Not even remotely, but it's at least something to consider down the line if they're wanting to add more quality changes to the game, like leg elevation adjusting to the terrain, as was displayed in today's ESO Live.
    Dalek-Rok - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Shād - Argonian Nightblade || Dalek-Shul - Argonian Templar || Dalek-Xal - Argonian Dragonknight || Mounts-the-Snout - Argonian Warden || Dalek-Xul - Argonian Necromancer || Two-Spires - Argonian Arcanist || Dalek-Nesh - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Kör - Argonian Dragonknight
    Don't incorporate bugs into your builds, and you won't have [an] issue.
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I'm a lefty and I've learned to accept this weird right handed business. In Skyrim I didn't, I used a 2 handed weapon.

The monster shoulder is on the wrong shoulder for a right handed warrior, it's worn like a left handed person would wear it.

I also don't want to be tempted to have to use crowns to change any of my toons to left handed. No way this could be free.

Fear is the Mindkiller
  • KochDerDamonen
    KochDerDamonen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I'm a lefty and I've learned to accept this weird right handed business. In Skyrim I didn't, I used a 2 handed weapon.

The monster shoulder is on the wrong shoulder for a right handed warrior, it's worn like a left handed person would wear it.

I also don't want to be tempted to have to use crowns to change any of my toons to left handed. No way this could be free.

Unless ZOS is using a majestically poor animation rigging system, it would literally be a matter of mirroring the skeleton points. If they charge for that, there's no hope for this game :p
    If you quote someone, and intend for them to see what you have said, be sure to Mention them with @[insert name].