The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Help with Magicka Sorc Build

Hutch679
Hutch679
✭✭✭✭✭
So I'm already annoyed with the frag build I was running, mostly because frags are so glitchy with the hard cast while hands are glowing crap.... I was using 5 lich, 5 spinner, 2 pirate skeleton.

I am switching to a pet build and obviously I am going to necropotence. I am curious as to what other set I should run. I have considered Netch's Touch, Vicious Death, and Julianos. But I know there are other sets that I could run with it also. Does anyone have any experience to give me a suggestion?

Dunno if this helps, but my bar setup would be....

Twilight tormentor
Volatile familiar
Hardened ward
Elemental blockade
Daedric prey
Eye of the cheese

Twilight tormentor
Volatile familiar
Healing ward
Boundless storm
Streak
Energy overload

Mundus stone is the mage
All max magic glyphs
Helmet is heavy infused Ilambris
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvP or PvE?

Blockade on a pet build for PvP is pretty meh

Quite frankly, imo, if you're shield stacking drop boundless, your wards will be huge and you'll get very little out of boundless.

You want Power Surge - absolutely

Force shock and morphs is an option.

For a pet build I prefer frost staff with reach, the roots really help against a ton of opponents
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvP or PvE?

Quite frankly, imo, if you're shield stacking drop boundless, your wards will be huge and you'll get very little out of boundless.

For a pet build I prefer frost staff with reach, the roots really help against a ton of opponents

Clearly PvP because I posted in the PvP forum.

I switched to pet build to get away from using crushing shock... I'm not stacking spell damage so power surge is pointless. Definitely not using a frost staff.

My post was not asking for assistance with my skill bars. I asked what set should I run with necropotence for a pet build. I do appreciate you giving input, but you didn't answer my question.

Thanks
    Edited by Hutch679 on March 30, 2017 3:47PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hutch679 wrote: »
    PvP or PvE?

I switched to pet build to get away from using crushing shock... I'm not stacking spell damage so power surge is pointless. Definitely not using a frost staff.

My post was not asking for assistance with my skill bars. I asked what set should I run with necropotence for a pet build. I do appreciate you giving input, but you didn't answer my question.

Thanks

You run Necro, with amberplasm or lich.

You DO NOT RUN BLOCKADE in PvP with a meta sorc build. Period. End of story.

Even at 1000 spell dmg, surge gives 200 more spell damage. You're being silly to think it's not worth running that or entropy

You're going meta, so you have no room for individuality.

Go ahead, don't take the advice, but then why not just copy paste @thelon or @derra or @minalan or @psychotic13 builds?

Edit or full on copy and paste @alcast or any other streamer with no imagination
    Edited by Waffennacht on March 30, 2017 3:57PM
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvP or PvE?

Thanks

Even at 1000 spell dmg, surge gives 200 more spell damage. You're being silly to think it's not worth running that or entropy

Go ahead, don't take the advice, but then why not just copy paste @thelon or @derra or @minalan or @psychotic13 builds?

Edit or full on copy and paste @alcast or any other streamer with no imagination

As @Waffennacht has already said, you don't want to run blockade or any ground AoE for that matter, players and brain dead and won't stand in it. You also NEED to use surge or entropy... you can't run without major sorcery.

Also from what you have listed you have no heal... you either need to use the resto and healing Ward or the other morph of the twilight to heal, personally I only use 1 pet it gives a lot more space for other skills, tbh you should be Running harness magicka too as a sorc, shields are your strength
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my pet build, I was using this before they got buffed with homestead, and still ruined pretty much everything.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/307821/magicka-sorcerer-dw-pvp-build-riddick#latest
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvP or PvE?

Thanks

I've used lich. I have yet to run below 70% of my magicka with spamming attacks and heavy lightning staff attacks. I feel like lich is a waste to run with it, when I could run a damage set and still EASILY maintain resources. I'm not copy and pasting anything, which is why I'm asking what a good second set to run would be...... and you sound a little salty for some reason?
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvP or PvE?

Thanks

As @Waffennacht has already said, you don't want to run blockade or any ground AoE for that matter, players and brain dead and won't stand in it. You also NEED to use surge or entropy... you can't run without major sorcery.

Also from what you have listed you have no heal... you either need to use the resto and healing Ward or the other morph of the twilight to heal, personally I only use 1 pet it gives a lot more space for other skills, tbh you should be Running harness magicka too as a sorc, shields are your strength

Thank you for your help. Maybe I should do the single pet build. Similar to what you were running. I do wanna run destro/resto. I have lich sharpened inferno, sharpened lightning, and defending resto and body pieces so I'm good there if I run lich with it. I'm gonna rethink some stuff and try out some other things later today.
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lich is not worth running your right, any good sorcerer can maintain resources without it just fine. I don't believe spinners is very good either cause a lot of people are running sorcs at the moment, and the 5pc is a waste vs them cause is has no benefit against shields.

Kagrenacs could be a good option for you, still get some recovery and then a bit of health with a decent 220 spell damage before buffs.
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lich is not worth running your right, any good sorcerer can maintain resources without it just fine. I don't believe spinners is very good either cause a lot of people are running sorcs at the moment, and the 5pc is a waste vs them cause is has no benefit against shields.

Kagrenacs could be a good option for you, still get some recovery and then a bit of health with a decent 220 spell damage before buffs.

Yeah I thought about that. What about Destruction Mastery? Gives a lot of magic and would put me close to 50k magicka. The two pets hit REALLY hard. The second pet eats up two additional slots though... which sucks. Heavy lightning is good pressure and can proc that passive under 15% health. My tool tip for that passive is 18k lol
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @psychotic13 man I hate to say it, but what about running Julianos with it?
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, I get salty over the meta. Listen to @psychotic13 he's a very solid player.

Personally, I feel like you can never go wrong with alchemist. But that's just one of my fav sets.

If resource management is good, then damage is always welcome.
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, I get salty over the meta. Listen to @psychotic13 he's a very solid player.

Personally, I feel like you can never go wrong with alchemist. But that's just one of my fav sets.

It's no problem, I do appreciate your input. Lich is just overkill in the cp campaigns for resource management. In non-cp, I honestly think you HAVE to run something like seducer or Lich or amberplasm because no magician, no arcanist is a punch to nuts on resources lol.

My goal is to run necropotence and a damage set to stack tons of magicka, and damage to basically heavy lightning attack players. I thought about doing 5 necropotence and 5 elegance as well which would probably be VERY strong with lightning staff. I want to get community input because obviously it's rather expensive to just "try out" builds. Ya dig?
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's no problem, I do appreciate your input. Lich is just overkill in the cp campaigns for resource management. In non-cp, I honestly think you HAVE to run something like seducer or Lich or amberplasm because no magician, no arcanist is a punch to nuts on resources lol.

My goal is to run necropotence and a damage set to stack tons of magicka, and damage to basically heavy lightning attack players. I thought about doing 5 necropotence and 5 elegance as well which would probably be VERY strong with lightning staff. I want to get community input because obviously it's rather expensive to just "try out" builds. Ya dig?

I run Necropotence alchemist and willpower with duel wield, you can't really push much more damage than that. Destruction Mastery is alright, but if you don't have a weapon then you're gonna have to run DSA a lot until you get one.
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I run Necropotence alchemist and willpower with duel wield, you can't really push much more damage than that. Destruction Mastery is alright, but if you don't have a weapon then you're gonna have to run DSA a lot until you get one.

Yikes. I'd prefer to refrain from having to farm that place... lol. Well I have the crafting materials maybe I'll try Julianos out and see how it perform's for me
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Where to start?

First off.

1. Lich is never a waste. It lets you run all damage enchants and the thief mundus stone in PVP. It also allows you to wear two five piece sets with a Destro staff, something you can only do with a very few sets (clever alch, warlock, etc).

2. Five piece spinner isn't a waste. Sorcs actually have 15K or so spell resist in light armor, more if they're a Breton. Sure spinner doesn't work on shields, but any bleed over damage does. It also makes sure that the one hit you DO get through shields kills the enemy.

Sure there are a lot of sorcs out there, but spinner still works, and it absolutely shines against all stamina builds.

3. Destro mastery is problematic because of the weapon grind. Sadly I only have a sharpened ice Destro mastery staff. It also leaves your back bar short of magicka, you end up losing 7K or something silly every time you swap to a resto staff.

I've been contemplating a necropotence and Lich build that uses shadow rend set and storm Atro to get the five piece necropotence magicka bonus. No other pets slotted, just time my big burst to hit with the pet proc or ultimate.
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minalan wrote: »

Where to start?

First off.

1. Lich is never a waste. It lets you run all damage enchants and the thief mundus stone in PVP. It also allows you to wear two five piece sets with a Destro staff, something you can only do with a very few sets (clever alch, warlock, etc).

2. Five piece spinner isn't a waste. Sorcs actually have 15K or so spell resist in light armor, more if they're a Breton. Sure spinner doesn't work on shields, but any bleed over damage does. It also makes sure that the one hit you DO get through shields kills the enemy.

Sure there are a lot of sorcs out there, but spinner still works, and it absolutely shines against all stamina builds.

3. Destro mastery is problematic because of the weapon grind. Sadly I only have a sharpened ice Destro mastery staff. It also leaves your back bar short of magicka, you end up losing 7K or something silly every time you swap to a resto staff.

I've been contemplating a necropotence and Lich build that uses shadow rend set and storm Atro to get the five piece necropotence magicka bonus. No other pets slotted, just time my big burst to hit with the pet proc or ultimate.

This isn't a serious post is it?

No offense. But spinner is garbage against sorcs. Spell penetration doesn't affect shields. Also if you are doing a HEAVY ATTACK build as stated in this thread, you don't need recovery. Every heavy attack costs nothing and regens magicka..... and why would you use necropotence and not use a pet besides storm atro which is probably the 4th best option for ultimates? Lol and a 1 piece shadow rend set? You might as well not wear a helm....
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Where to start?

First off.

No offense. But spinner is garbage against sorcs. Spell penetration doesn't affect shields. Also if you are doing a HEAVY ATTACK build as stated in this thread, you don't need recovery. Every heavy attack costs nothing and regens magicka..... and why would you use necropotence and not use a pet besides storm atro which is probably the 4th best option for ultimates? Lol and a 1 piece shadow rend set? You might as well not wear a helm....

Spinner admittedly much more useful on the other three classes, but I wouldn't call it 'useless'. That's 3 out of 4 people you run into are hurt more by it.

You back bar the Atro ultimate, you know that you do get two of them right? Best thing about the Atro is that you can hide behind it. Shadowrend or Maw of the infernal proc often enough in PVP to be useful. I've never run a pet build before, It's just something I want to test for fun. Sadly I don't have all of the gear for it.

I run a dual wield high burst build, and it works. But trying new things keeps the game fun.

A Heavy attack is something you open with. If you're spamming heavy attacks, you're not going to kill me. The sorcs who get me are those that weave light or medium attacks in between a litany of perfectly ani-cancelled curses, force pulses, frags, and shields.

Have you considered a BSW build?
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Where to start?

First off.

Spinner admittedly much more useful on the other three classes, but I wouldn't call it 'useless'. That's 3 out of 4 people you run into are hurt more by it.

You back bar the Atro ultimate, you know that you do get two of them right? Best thing about the Atro is that you can hide behind it. Shadowrend or Maw of the infernal proc often enough in PVP to be useful. I've never run a pet build before, It's just something I want to test for fun. Sadly I don't have all of the gear for it.

I run a dual wield high burst build, and it works. But trying new things keeps the game fun.

A Heavy attack is something you open with. If you're spamming heavy attacks, you're not going to kill me. The sorcs who get me are those that weave light or medium attacks in between a litany of perfectly ani-cancelled curses, force pulses, frags, and shields.

Have you considered a BSW build?

Your statistics are way off there. You said 3 out of 4 people you run into. That makes the assumption that the population in pvp is 25% for each class, which is WAY off. You do get two ultimates to SLOT. you cannot use two ultimates at the same time. So you cast storm atro which is the 4th best option lol no one runs necropotence without an active pet. That's just a waste... BSW is good, but not for a pet build because you don't run crushing shock on a pet build so your only chance to proc BSW is with light or heavy attacks because there is no other flame damage. Storm atro is shock damage, so that doesn't proc BSW either. Also BSW has a 66% up time and that's if you manage to proc it IMMEDIATELY once it is available again. And I assure you, heavy attacks with a pet build can kill you lol between the pet damage, frags, sorcs execute passive, heavy attack, pet stun pulse damage, and boundless armor there is more than enough damage to zap another get sorc using spinners that will struggle to even knock my 17k hardened ward down.
  • Alite
    Alite
    ✭✭✭
    Asks for help with build
    *** on people that offer help

K den
    Edited by Alite on March 30, 2017 9:00PM
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alite wrote: »
    Asks for help with build

K den

Yeah, pretty much this. He already knows best, and he just wants someone to agree with him.

I can't wait until I meet him in Cyro. All of those heavy attacks and pet damage will send me packing!

Err not really. Laughing maybe...
    Edited by Minalan on March 30, 2017 9:24PM
  • Zander98
    Zander98
    ✭✭✭
    WWBD
    What would Bolter do?
    Zane Altise- The Drunken Sorc

"The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head"-Pratchett
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvP or PvE?

Thanks

I don´t think i share mine :pensive:

Mainly bc they suck tho.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Few thoughts:

Who uses pets in PvP?
    They are horribly inconsistent in open world. If you're a good player, you should aim for consistent performance. Nothing worse than dying to an inferior player because your game malfunctions. Just look at the current Streak bug, such stuff just sucks.
    And in duels, every experienced player will flat out refuse to fight a pet build, unless he's one himself. They are OP and you can pick duel encounters, so why bother.
    I admit, when they work in open world or you duel with them, they have their use, oh yes.

Lich is awesome!
    Against stamina builds, you need to make up for higher magicka cost. Against magicka builds, especially sorcs, you gotta mind Harness Magicka. Against groups, you should expect resource poisons. Sustain is something you don't need - until you're out of resources.
    It's also a "stat proc", as mentioned, and that's vital to having two five pieces. You have to counter S&B and DW additional set piece or you're at an disadvantage right off the bat. I can only think of BSW and Alch, alternatively.

Lastly, sorc is a stagnating class. If you ask for advice and experienced forum players tell you the same, you can expect some truth in that. Mag sorc is not a class to re-invent the wheel with. You can add flavor here and there, that's it.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Pets, unlike most things, scale pretty purely off of magicka.
    Heavy attacks, unlike most things, scale pretty purely off of spell power.

True, I've soloed a lot of open world content spamming keep-pets-alive skills interspersed with lightning heavy attacks. But those tactics would fail spectacularly in PvP.
  • Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm playing pet sorc since months and there is tons of stupidity in that thread....

First, people always speak about pet build, which is stupid, there is not only one way to play with pet(s).

Necropotence is needed as pet sorc, you hopefully all understand that.

Monster sets a extremely powerfull, it's stupid to not use them, you can use 2 pieces like pirate skeleton (OP) ect or 2 x 1 pieces like grothard and infernal guardian for a 2k more magicka, or gain a bit recovery.

You can pair it with maelstrom/master weapons and a 3 pieces set.

There is two main way to build with pets, focusing on pet damage which mean the more magicka as possible, or focusing on overall damage, using pets as bonus.

Actually, in, a PvP or duel gameplay, you need to play 2 pets to be effective, because you need the healing one for healing your other pet. It's easy to kill one of your pet, if you only use the volatile one, he will die quicly against good player, and you will lost 2 minimum 2 skills + 4k magicka. Or you can take the damage morph if you are sure to kill in few seconds.

In fact, pet build are easy to counter for every classes, but people don't use to fight us, or they think it's op, and refuse to fight which is stupid.

Most of people think pets are not usable in PvP, and it's only a no brain dueling build, but it's so false.

Of course there is theze pets duel builds, stacking everything into damage, made for kill 100% of player, without any heal, escape or regen. That's actually overpowered.

But I'm playing a way more balanced sorc with a PvP set up. It's hard to play, but still effective without being OP or situational.
    I play 1vx, in small scale and in 12-18 groupin competitive guild, and people are always happy with my heals and my good damage input.

You guys try to make build only focus on pets, but there is no reason to leave the good sorcerer spells, and being able to kill even without pets.

Edited by Aedaryl on March 31, 2017 10:00AM
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alite wrote: »
    Asks for help with build

K den

Yeah, pretty much this. He already knows best, and he just wants someone to agree with him.

I can't wait until I meet him in Cyro. All of those heavy attacks and pet damage will send me packing!

Err not really. Laughing maybe...

Dude you're still salty, even after I said I didn't mean anything by it and said thank you for your input. Lol you're that guy that gets bent out of shape when his friends crack on him. I didn't say anything rude. Or insulting to you. I don't know best about pet sorcs that's why I made a thread about it. First you tell me to change my skills which was not the help I was asking for... then you get angry and become insulting.

Good day to you sir!
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Pets, unlike most things, scale pretty purely off of magicka.
    Heavy attacks, unlike most things, scale pretty purely off of spell power.

True, I've soloed a lot of open world content spamming keep-pets-alive skills interspersed with lightning heavy attacks. But those tactics would fail spectacularly in PvP.

This is helpful to me. Thank you. For now I am going to run necrosis and lich with lich sharp inferno staff and defending resto.
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theses forums are cancer.... lol I don't know why I even bother anymore. Thank you @psychotic13 I thought you were helpful bro