The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Stopped Doing Writs

• KanedaSyndrome
    KanedaSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »
    disintegr8 wrote: »
    I don't think it is anything more than RNG. I am on PS4, so may not have any latest changes that anyone on PC has, but I do writs on 8 characters every day and have never had a day without at least 1 MW. I usually get 2 or 3 a day, very rarely I get 4.

I have gone 9 days on one character between MW's and have been on my last writ character before getting one (so 7 characters in a row without a MW). If I was only doing writs on 1 or 2 characters I would possibly have given up a long time ago but I passed 100 MW's at the end of 5 weeks, so for now I'll keep going.

Edit: I might suggest that you were getting MW's 'above' the designed odds and it has just been brought back in line with how it should be working. At your rates I should have been getting 4 or more every day for 8 characters instead of 2 or 3.

Well if your suspicion is correct, then we don't have true RNG, as you're implying that there's a balancing RNG behind that will throttle down people's luck if they get "too many" writs. And that is exactly what this thing feels like.

If you're getting 2-3 from 8 characters, I should be getting about 0.5-0.75 per day, which I'm not. So something is definitely off here.
    I think the point was that it is regression to the mean. You got lucky initially, but over a larger sample size you are seeing the rates are lower than you thought.

So it wasn't "brought back in line" in an active sense. It is just regression to the mean.

Normally I'd agree with you, but not in this case.

I went from getting 1 a day on 2 crafters, even on days I got 2-4 from 10 writ turnins, had actually a day where I got 4 master writs out of 6 turnins on one crafter. Going from that to not receiving a single master writ in 4 weeks where I turn in 10-12 a day, that's really really unlikely, especially considering that others are experiencing the exact same results.

So this is not about "perception" of RNG and law of large numbers or anything like that.
    KanedaSyndrome's Suggestions For Game Improvements
    The Fortuitous Collapse of the Wave Equation
    The Best Plans Require No Action
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So I stopped doing writs, since there's something odd going on with the RNG of the rewards. 3 weeks ago I stopped getting master writs completely, where I have been turning writs in for 2 charactes once per day. Before that cut off day approximately 3 weeks ago I got writs consistently, I would probably get about 1 per day approximately (out of 10 turnins).

Going from 1 master writ per day to 0 in 3 weeks, that can't be explained by any bell curve or any statistic, especially not when I hear other people experiencing the same. So something is going on behind the scenes.

Who else has experienced going from a steady flow of master writs to zero?

Disclaimer: Haven't unlearnt any crafting related skills. Only been gaining more motifs and recipes etc.

This seems to be a feature of the ZOS RNG, and I have noticed it in a lot of places. It seems particularly noticeable in these events that happen.

The first few hours and days of an event will have a very nice drop rate for the special rewards. You will frequently get the special recipes and runeboxes. After awhile, they don't quite seem drop with the same frequency.

I don't know what is going on, and have no numbers to prove any of this. It is like ZOS goes in there and tweaks the drop rates dynamically when they see that too many are dropping, or they have some sort of dynamic drop rate that is based on how many have been dispensed, or how many are already out in the game.

In any case, I have learned to do events early, hard, and fast. Those characters will get the achievements in a matter of a few hours. Characters that do not start until the middle of the event might get the achievements, or might run out of time.

For example, my recipe to banner ratio early in the Festival was pretty balanced. Now, all I am getting is banners. One might blame RNG, but this seems to be a pattern, and RNG results should not be running patterns.

Unlikely they are tweaking rates drastically. Read about more people's experiences. We see silly debates where one person says rates are low because they got nothing and someone replies with an anecdote about how they got great return. With a lot of people playing the game, there will be outliers.

Your personal anecdote about recipe to banner ratio is useless. From day one, I was swimming in banners. The pattern is that people are making generalizations from absurdly small sample sizes and coming to opposite conclusions.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it is anything more than RNG. I am on PS4, so may not have any latest changes that anyone on PC has, but I do writs on 8 characters every day and have never had a day without at least 1 MW. I usually get 2 or 3 a day, very rarely I get 4.

I have gone 9 days on one character between MW's and have been on my last writ character before getting one (so 7 characters in a row without a MW). If I was only doing writs on 1 or 2 characters I would possibly have given up a long time ago but I passed 100 MW's at the end of 5 weeks, so for now I'll keep going.

Edit: I might suggest that you were getting MW's 'above' the designed odds and it has just been brought back in line with how it should be working. At your rates I should have been getting 4 or more every day for 8 characters instead of 2 or 3.

Well if your suspicion is correct, then we don't have true RNG, as you're implying that there's a balancing RNG behind that will throttle down people's luck if they get "too many" writs. And that is exactly what this thing feels like.

If you're getting 2-3 from 8 characters, I should be getting about 0.5-0.75 per day, which I'm not. So something is definitely off here.
    I think the point was that it is regression to the mean. You got lucky initially, but over a larger sample size you are seeing the rates are lower than you thought.

So it wasn't "brought back in line" in an active sense. It is just regression to the mean.

I went from getting 1 a day on 2 crafters, even on days I got 2-4 from 10 writ turnins, had actually a day where I got 4 master writs out of 6 turnins on one crafter. Going from that to not receiving a single master writ in 4 weeks where I turn in 10-12 a day, that's really really unlikely, especially considering that others are experiencing the exact same results.

So this is not about "perception" of RNG and law of large numbers or anything like that.

It is possible they changed things. But there are other people who from day one got no MW consistently. There experience holds just as much weight as yours, but you are trying to generalize from your own anecdotes.

There is no reason why we should expect consistent results for any one player, especially on low probability occurrences. You
    need large numbers to evaluate consistency of rates.

One player's anecdote is meaningless when discussing drop rates over time.
  • KanedaSyndrome
    KanedaSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭

It is possible they changed things. But there are other people who from day one got no MW consistently. There experience holds just as much weight as yours, but you are trying to generalize from your own anecdotes.

There is no reason why we should expect consistent results for any one player, especially on low probability occurrences. You

I see what you're saying. I think what I noticed though is that my main crafter is max in traits and max in all 6 crafts etc, where the people that talk about not having receiving anything from the beginning hasn't be maxed in traits, at least that is what I can see from my small sample pool.

I'm not saying that your explanation of my experience is necessarily wrong, I just find it unlikely.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I see what you're saying. I think what I noticed though is that my main crafter is max in traits and max in all 6 crafts etc, where the people that talk about not having receiving anything from the beginning hasn't be maxed in traits, at least that is what I can see from my small sample pool.

I'm not saying that your explanation of my experience is necessarily wrong, I just find it unlikely.

I am also not saying you are wrong. Except for the fact that what is actually unlikely is that your early experience is representative of overall outcomes during that period. If someone wanted to know how the game was working, they would collect more data and not rely on just their own experience.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So I stopped doing writs, since there's something odd going on with the RNG of the rewards. 3 weeks ago I stopped getting master writs completely, where I have been turning writs in for 2 charactes once per day. Before that cut off day approximately 3 weeks ago I got writs consistently, I would probably get about 1 per day approximately (out of 10 turnins).

Going from 1 master writ per day to 0 in 3 weeks, that can't be explained by any bell curve or any statistic, especially not when I hear other people experiencing the same. So something is going on behind the scenes.

Who else has experienced going from a steady flow of master writs to zero?

Disclaimer: Haven't unlearnt any crafting related skills. Only been gaining more motifs and recipes etc.

This seems to be a feature of the ZOS RNG, and I have noticed it in a lot of places. It seems particularly noticeable in these events that happen.

The first few hours and days of an event will have a very nice drop rate for the special rewards. You will frequently get the special recipes and runeboxes. After awhile, they don't quite seem drop with the same frequency.

I don't know what is going on, and have no numbers to prove any of this. It is like ZOS goes in there and tweaks the drop rates dynamically when they see that too many are dropping, or they have some sort of dynamic drop rate that is based on how many have been dispensed, or how many are already out in the game.

In any case, I have learned to do events early, hard, and fast. Those characters will get the achievements in a matter of a few hours. Characters that do not start until the middle of the event might get the achievements, or might run out of time.

For example, my recipe to banner ratio early in the Festival was pretty balanced. Now, all I am getting is banners. One might blame RNG, but this seems to be a pattern, and RNG results should not be running patterns.

Unlikely they are tweaking rates drastically. Read about more people's experiences. We see silly debates where one person says rates are low because they got nothing and someone replies with an anecdote about how they got great return. With a lot of people playing the game, there will be outliers.

Your personal anecdote about recipe to banner ratio is useless. From day one, I was swimming in banners. The pattern is that people are making generalizations from absurdly small sample sizes and coming to opposite conclusions.

i have nearly 2 dozen banners and got maybe half that many recipes in the whole event. But i did stop after the first weekend once i got the full acheeves.

So yeah, banners vs recipes is a bit high anyway.

And i agree with your points.

look at most every furnishing mats drop rate discussions. tend to start with "i cant find..." and always have plenty of "but i cant find this other" and so on until you see what obviously turns out to be that there is a lot of variety and outliers, which frankly makes looking at guild stores a reasonable approach to exorcise most of these RNG demons.

Changes in tactics tend to solve more problems than forum "plagued by" posts.

At least, in my experience.
    Edited by STEVIL on April 2, 2017 6:19PM
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I know all about anecdotal testimonials, small sample sizes, and stuff like that.

We already know that ZOS does not use pure randomness for all of the "random" outcomes. They might not use it for any of them. We know that they can have a weighting algorithm working inside the RNG for some decisions, and this immediately means that it is not purely random. If it isn't, it may have a discernible pattern, given enough information. I am on the lookout for unexpected patterns in their random loot system.

The question before me is whether I care enough to devise a long-running test to see if the pattern I am seeing is real.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • rpfc1009
    rpfc1009
    ✭✭
    Master writs should reward master crafters
    There's nothing rewarding in the frustrating state of things
    No drops compared with players with less motifs and traits learned and even worse, when you get a writ, it's to go to imperial city in a less know style for 7 vouchers...
    The time and effort I spent in research and collecting motifs hasn't been rewarded, in fact has been ridiculed and made pointless once again
    Master crafter means nothing in the game
    I feel the game has been made more and more accessible to new players, that in itself isn't a bad thing, but it was made at the expense of players that have loyal and put the effort and time into it
    A char with all traits and all motifs learned should be earning more master writs
    As it is, all you need is not so random luck...
    Disappointing

• ThePonzzz
    ThePonzzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just stopped doing them because it's too much of a grind. I feel like logging into ESO is work. Back to ganking in Cyrodiil for me!
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    STEVIL wrote: »
    I quit too . Four months and no master writs in prov or alc . Stopped bothering .

But you still get in from the other professions?

Don't have any other professionals .

Well if i had not gotten any alchey master writs in the four months since the MW system started two months ago... i would likely be doing things differently too... like maybe farming gold and buying writs in the guild stores. I mean if you want writs and cant get any in four months of a two month old release you can still buy 5 voucher alchey writs for under 10k and one can make 20k for 10 vouchers worth a day in no time flat. heck i usually bring in about 45k a day in my normal non-master writs basic non-survey a day. That could easily buy me 20+ vouchers in writs a day if i wanted.

That of course assumes you dont have other things gold-approachable you want more than stuff you can buy with vouchers, of course.

i recall one guy who was complaining that they spent "entire mornings" just harvesting nodes and go only two heartwood. That calls for a change in tactics, not a game change IMO. Can harvest gold to buy dozens of heart wood in an hour with no sweat.

No , I'll just quit doing them . I have plenty of fun doing other things . Not even worried about it . I have three fully furnished houses the way I like and am finishing the fourth . There is nothing from master writs I absolutely must have . I can swap PVP motifs for crafting stations if I ever want those .
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I quit too . Four months and no master writs in prov or alc . Stopped bothering .

Well if i had not gotten any alchey master writs in the four months since the MW system started two months ago... i would likely be doing things differently too... like maybe farming gold and buying writs in the guild stores. I mean if you want writs and cant get any in four months of a two month old release you can still buy 5 voucher alchey writs for under 10k and one can make 20k for 10 vouchers worth a day in no time flat. heck i usually bring in about 45k a day in my normal non-master writs basic non-survey a day. That could easily buy me 20+ vouchers in writs a day if i wanted.

That of course assumes you dont have other things gold-approachable you want more than stuff you can buy with vouchers, of course.

i recall one guy who was complaining that they spent "entire mornings" just harvesting nodes and go only two heartwood. That calls for a change in tactics, not a game change IMO. Can harvest gold to buy dozens of heart wood in an hour with no sweat.

No , I'll just quit doing them . I have plenty of fun doing other things . Not even worried about it . I have three fully furnished houses the way I like and am finishing the fourth . There is nothing from master writs I absolutely must have . I can swap PVP motifs for crafting stations if I ever want those .

Sure, absolutely, as i say change tactics to whatever works better for you.

I imagine by July you will have six months of morrowind play completed too and be set there.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

"The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I imagine by July you will have six months of morrowind play completed too and be set there.

Ouch.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ouch.

Why di you say ouch ? Was he trying to make a insult ? His post did not bother me in the least . I will come back and play with master writs another time . Maybe when I feel like making a clother or armor smith . Maybe the writ drops are better for those . In the meantime ai was just saying I have lots of other content to keep me busy .
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Ouch.

Why di you say ouch ? Was he trying to make a insult ? His post did not bother me in the least . I will come back and play with master writs another time . Maybe when I feel like making a clother or armor smith . Maybe the writ drops are better for those . In the meantime ai was just saying I have lots of other content to keep me busy .

Never mind then, all is good o:)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every since the Master Writs came into the game, I have gotten 116 Vouchers. And, that it because a generous guild mate gave me 107 Vouchers worth. I think I have seen 8 myself. I know the math does not work out, but that is because 2 of the Alchemy ones I could not complete and I was not going to do the one wanting to use two Perfect Roe.

As for my self, I rarely get a writ, and when I do, it is for 2 to 6 Vouchers, got one for 17, but it was for a Motif I did not know and was selling for 60K.

So, not doing equipment crafting writs, as even the Gold Temper rate has dropped into the toilet.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Every since the Master Writs came into the game, I have gotten 116 Vouchers. And, that it because a generous guild mate gave me 107 Vouchers worth. I think I have seen 8 myself. I know the math does not work out, but that is because 2 of the Alchemy ones I could not complete and I was not going to do the one wanting to use two Perfect Roe.

As for my self, I rarely get a writ, and when I do, it is for 2 to 6 Vouchers, got one for 17, but it was for a Motif I did not know and was selling for 60K.

So, not doing equipment crafting writs, as even the Gold Temper rate has dropped into the toilet.

In 6 weeks since Homestead dropped on console, my 8 crafters have turned in over 1400 writs and received over 120 master writs, worth in excess of 1000 vouchers, with none exceeding 92 vouchers. So I do not have an issue with overall drop rates, whether it be by luck or design is not for me to say.

I agree with you that the value of gold mats has taken a huge dive, so the main benefits of selling the mats you get from writs has largely been negated. I have largely stopped selling these but whether something else changes to help them bounce back we will have to wait and see.
  • Erynyes
    Erynyes
    ✭✭✭
    all these talks about personal experience and special event banner drop rate are quite interresting... but back on topic... op and a couple more people, me included, stop receiving MW on their master crafters for more than 2 weeks, i don't want to wear that tinfoil hat, but something is off. I had no problem getting 500 vouchers in the first 2 weeks, but in the last 17 days i received 0. I've even upgraded my motifs collection, and since i bought the full ebony motif with vouchers i can't get a single MW, i dunno, they may have bugged something in the patch that suposedly fixed provisionning :D
    PC NA
    Sword Lhasa magplar
    Dinin Freth magDk
    Shri'Neerune magblade
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Currently I'm at 251 vouchers. Once I hit 300 for the motif book, I'm done with it. I got one writ for 20, most of them have been for 2 or 5 or 7. A very generous guildmate gave me a few for motifs he didn't have and wasn't planning on spending thousands of gold getting. I can understand people wanting to make gold, but putting stuff up for 500 to 1000% over the last selling price is overdoing it more than a little.
  • KanedaSyndrome
    KanedaSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭
    ThePonzzz wrote: »
    I just stopped doing them because it's too much of a grind. I feel like logging into ESO is work. Back to ganking in Cyrodiil for me!

Consider picking up the addon called Dolgubon's Lazy Writ Crafter if you're on PC.
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My master crafter has gotten way more master writs than my non crafters along with and much higher voucher amounts per writ.
    Beta tester November 2013
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »
    My master crafter has gotten way more master writs than my non crafters along with and much higher voucher amounts per writ.
    You must be one of the few to experience 'way more', mine is barely in the lead on MW's received. I am definitely not seeing an increased reward really worthy of the time spent on my main crafter, who was 9 trait last year. Either that or my other crafters have been 'lucky'.

My master crafter has got 24 MW's, only just in front of my 2nd and 3rd with 22 and 21. He has got 199 vouchers (1 of them being a 91 voucher writ) , running 2nd behind another with 296 (max of 92) and not too far ahead of 3rd with 159 (max of 72).
  • KanedaSyndrome
    KanedaSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fun thing that happened.

As you know, I hadn't received writs in up to 3-4 weeks, but then I submitted a help ticket ingame stating my predicament, and as expected the reply was something generic along the lines of the RNG gods being fickle. Anyway, since I received that reply from game support I've received 3 master writs over 2 days, which is consistent with my previous drop rates before the drought.

Quite a coincidence if I may say so myself.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Fun thing that happened.

As you know, I hadn't received writs in up to 3-4 weeks, but then I submitted a help ticket ingame stating my predicament, and as expected the reply was something generic along the lines of the RNG gods being fickle. Anyway, since I received that reply from game support I've received 3 master writs over 2 days, which is consistent with my previous drop rates before the drought.

Quite a coincidence if I may say so myself.

or it could be that i made an offering to the narn gods of fortune on your behalf. you would be amazed what burning 12 centauri hair strands can do for your odds of success.

YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

• Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update: After quitting writs , I realized I had one quest I did not turn in last night and after turning it in , got a master writ . Gamblers high almost got me to take another quest .
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Update: After quitting writs , I realized I had one quest I did not turn in last night and after turning it in , got a master writ . Gamblers high almost got me to take another quest .

It was me. I prayed to the divines, and sacrificed to the daedra. I can get people their own VO ring in a trial, and then give them the one I got as well so they have two in one run. Some people think I'm lucky, perceptive, or in touch with powers they can't understand. The truth is I'm a con-man.

They call me the Rainmaker.

https://youtu.be/lxQw0VoT538
    Edited by NordSwordnBoard on April 4, 2017 11:50PM
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • lientier
    lientier
    ✭✭✭✭
    I seem to be now one of those people who stopped getting writs.. I dont know since when exactly.. because I was on vacation before it stopped...

I am a nearly master crafter.. which is nearnig the end of trait research..

Maybe I also have bad luck as some people are bound to have, and the first some days I was just thinking I had bad luck.. but I havent gotten any for so many days now (sorry I didnt count) that I get the feeling (which is not backed up with data since its a feeling) that somehow the drop rates changed - and I would like to know if thats intended... :neutral:

Here my crafting-stats:
    Provisioning:
    Puruple:
    Yellow:

Woodworking all 9/9 traits.

Clothing:
    clothing: still researching the last 4 nirn-traits on light amor so thats overall 8-9/9 traits,

Blacksmithing. 7-9/9 overall (2 still at 7, 4 are 9 already, rest is 8 traits)

When it comes to styles I have 20/34 (of non-crowns-only styles).

Achievements+ Passives:
    My current completion is, all achievements except the furniture recipe achievements (got the furniture mats achievement).

All passives except keen eye (got one skill point in keen eye fro alchemy, otherwise I miss the columbine).
    Edited by lientier on April 7, 2017 2:41PM
    PC-EU @lientier
  • Oliviander
    Oliviander
    ✭✭✭✭
    Erynyes wrote: »
    all these talks about personal experience and special event banner drop rate are quite interresting... but back on topic... op and a couple more people, me included, stop receiving MW on their master crafters for more than 2 weeks, i don't want to wear that tinfoil hat, but something is off. I had no problem getting 500 vouchers in the first 2 weeks, but in the last 17 days i received 0. I've even upgraded my motifs collection, and since i bought the full ebony motif with vouchers i can't get a single MW, i dunno, they may have bugged something in the patch that suposedly fixed provisionning :D

Exactly the same here
  • Reivax
    Reivax
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've never even seen a provisioning writ, but I guess they exist. Anyone have any experience with them?
    I just do 2 characters, and I have had two that I can remember, both were for Ozorga's recipes, one for 2 writs, one for 5.
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hmm...

Drop rate fell to one every three days at most, often go for a couple of weeks without getting one at all?

But that's how it's always been for me!

Some people are spoilt by good RNG favour and can't handle it when they get what mere mortals experience everyday.

RNG isn't hurting you, it was favouring you and now it isn't so much. Maybe one day I'll get what you considered "normal"...
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Some people are spoilt by good RNG favour and can't handle it when they get what mere mortals experience everyday.

RNG isn't hurting you, it was favouring you and now it isn't so much. Maybe one day I'll get what you considered "normal"...

Agreed.

A player without all 9/9 traits researched can get on a 'hot' streak of receiving master writs. Then, when drops return to normalcy, it may seem like there's something wrong with drops when there isn't an issue at all.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on April 8, 2017 3:22PM