The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Why are Materials at higher level in low level areas?

coldreactive_ESO
coldreactive_ESO
✭✭✭
Is there any way to gather extremely low level materials at higher level? Because all I'm getting from low level areas is hickory (meant for 36-44, not 1-10.)
Edited by coldreactive_ESO on March 22, 2017 11:12PM
NA PC Megaserver
Lucradia Valeri (D.Summoner) / Saeko Meina (T.Healer)
GMT -0600 (Central Time, Wisconsin) - PvE Only
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Material nodes are based off two things now.

Your points invested into the crafting skills line and your level.

If you leave your crafting skill at 1/10 you'll still get oak, if you invest points you'll get those material spawns as well as those of your level.

For example my C160 Nightblade has 10/10 in all and only sees ruby materials.
    My C160 Sorcerer has 1/10 and sees a mix of iron and ruby.
    Edited by Turelus on March 22, 2017 11:14PM
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • coldreactive_ESO
    coldreactive_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Then how am I supposed to gather something to make a low level staff for one of my friends?
    NA PC Megaserver
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then how am I supposed to gather something to make a low level staff for one of my friends?

Easiest is to have them collect the base material. But if you do crafting Writs they will often reward you will let level materials.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Respec your character to the crafting level needed (only invest skill points in the craft until you get to the desired mat level).
    sad.gif
  • coldreactive_ESO
    coldreactive_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Respec your character to the crafting level needed (only invest skill points in the craft until you get to the desired mat level).
    sad.gif

I usually don't have that much gold around to re-spec, since I'd need to reset ALL of my skills (over 45+ of them.)
    NA PC Megaserver
  • Muramasa89
    Muramasa89
    ✭✭✭

Have them collect it for you (I am making an assumption that if they're around that level, they'll be seeing those specific nodes), failing that, purchase from a guild trader. It's pretty unreasonable to have you respec just to craft a few things if it's too much gold for you.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The other way to collect low level mats is as a reward for writs.

But, the RNG on the mat type means you might wait weeks until what you're looking for drops.

The above ideas are much better ... but if you're going to do a lot of crafting for others, start doing the daily writs.
  • Edda
    Edda
    ✭✭
    I really don't like this change at all. :(
    “The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.” [Terry Pratchett in Hogfather]
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edda wrote: »
    Benefit is that it's far more high level material around. You can always farm high level one and trade
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edda wrote: »

To be honest, I was a proponent of this idea when it was in the PTS days ... a genuine way for crafters to help fellow friends and guildies craft low level gear.

Today, I have the same opinion as you, @Edda.

I have so many of these lower level mats (from writ rewards) that I don't know what to do with it all. They certainly don't sell very well in my trading guild. So, I unload them for the going rate whenever a player asks in zone.

The best solution would be to revert back to nodes being tied to the player's passive skill points invested in the craft at 100%. That way players have better control of node yields by simply adding passive skill points into what they want to harvest (wood, ore, or cloth independently).
  • coldreactive_ESO
    coldreactive_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Or you know, do it like FFXIV, and have specific areas have specific materials, IE: the old level zones. It could be a cool easter egg too for people to look back on, showing what zones were what level ranges without having to go on the wikis to find out.
    Edited by coldreactive_ESO on March 28, 2017 1:11AM
    NA PC Megaserver
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or you know, do it like FFXIV, and have specific areas have specific materials, IE: the old level zones. It could be a cool easter egg too for people to look back on, showing what zones were what level ranges without having to go on the wikis to find out.

That would basically be the old way before 1T. The problem with that method would be for those still leveling up. If they either leveled up above the zone or decided to go out of sequence they would not be able to acquire materials of their character/crafting level.

With the 1T method anyone leveling up is guaranteed to find materials at both their character and crafting level. This is one of the things that brought me back to ESO after a year or so break. I was always over level for the area and could not find materials for my level without jumping ahead, which I did not want to do. Also quests were often 4-5 levels below me which was frustrating.

Once you get to CP 160, I like that you can find materials anywhere. That means those looking for max level materials have much more area to farm and less competition. By doing the daily writs I get a good amount of lower level materials if I want to craft for others.

But, even if someone is playing without investing any skill points in crafting they should be able to find materials for their level to give to someone to make them gear.

It has been mentioned many times but I think one fairly easy solution would be that top level material could be used to make gear at lower levels if you mastered the craft. I think that would still allow one to farm plenty of materials and craft for others at any level. Or perhaps give people that have a craft at 50 the ability to convert material to a lower tier.